Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

YOGA

JFish350

My back is giving me such a hassle of late and not being able to get into the gym, stretches are helping and been looking into yoga. All I was doing were body weight squats before a cardio class. 

I'm looking for opinions/suggestions of their experience with doing yoga and what apps/websites they use. 

I have been to a couple of yoga places but they are to quiet for guy who can't get into or even close to be a pretzel. With my back simple moves aren't easy, bird dogs, cat cows, etc are my extent. I am sure if I have more instruction or ideas would be better for progressing since golf season is here. I have almost done one of those yoga apps but haven't pushed the button yet. 

We come to this site for help with club decisions, swing thoughts ideas and help I figured I'd ask for help with this as well. 

Thanks for any suggestions

Jeremy 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

There are plenty of free yoga videos on YouTube and some on Amazon prime. Many of the bigger YouTube yoga channels will have 30-day progressions for beginners that you can follow along with at home. 

I've done yoga for years, but I've never been to a yoga studio. It just seemed like it was so much easier to do in your living room with only the cost of a yoga mat. Good luck!

I'm a Peloton guy but battling golfers/tennis elbow right now so taking time off from lifting.  Rather than just riding every day I did their 3 week beginning yoga program and really enjoyed it.  Seems a good mix of stretching and bodyweight strength.  I can see myself mixing it in to my regular workouts.

So that said if you aren't in the Peloton platform I don't have much to suggest on where to go.  If you want to try Peloton you can just download the app and there is usually a 30 or 60 day free trial to see if you like the classes.  They have a ton of yoga and strength classes that don't require their Tread, Bike or Rowing machines. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Yep degenerative osteoarthritis in the spine (amongst other joints) means yoga is a HUGE help to me!

First, though, you're on the right track - start out simple and slow and easy, and build up from there.

So I'd found a book .. yes an actual hardcover book .. that's one of those illustrated guides page by page of yoga poses; it highlights what muscle groups each move targets.

Started with a few that seemed to help stretch and strengthen parts of the back, and supplemented that with additional moves I've seen in golf-specific workout videos (eg. for the hips) plus moves shown to me by my chiropractor and by my physical therapist (both of whom are golfers!). 

Cannot recommend a particular app but as others have mentioned there are sooooo many resources available on the web... Maybe start by looking at TPI, they offer a range of exercises; then search YT for "yoga for golf" - tip: put the phrase in quotes for your search - and you'll get a bunch of results.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

My wife is looking into starting up yoga again after many, many years layoff.  I think she would like me to join her, but I'm almost as flexible as a 2x4. 😟  I have been doing some stretches that I started last year when I had spasms in my lower right side that my massage therapist said were my psoas ( I had to look that up).  But the exercises relieved the spasms, and my lower back seems to be much better overall.  I keep adding in exercises if it seems like it will help golf and they won't send me to the hospital.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Yoga yoga yoga!  I took it up in my early forties (55 now) and wish I would have done it in my 20s.  Best thing for my physical body and state of mind.  I saw a blurb somewhere on "yoga for golf" and asked my pro "should I try this". https://www.hss.edu/golfportal/improve-your-game-yoga-for-golfers.htm  "Yes" came the response.  I pointed to the listing of poses and asked which one; "all of them" he said.  So I started doing them on my own and but I wasn't sure I was doing them correctly, and I wasn't sure I was "feeling" the right thing (stretch or restriction) in the right place.  So, I found a studio and took a private one hour lesson.  Changed my life. I was sure Erin, the studio owner, thought I was crazy - she did not - that I wanted to learn some poses to improve my golf game.  I was sure she thought I was crazy - she did not - to be some 40 year old looking to start.   I asked for some advice and she directed me to a beginner flow class. Just learning the basic asanas (poses) breath work and terminology.  I don't think I could touch my toes when I started.  Super tight ham strings.  Today I can put my hands under my feet in my ashtanga class.  

There is a class for everyone.  My three favorites are ashtanga (its the same routine every time, very mediative and builds strength); a hot flow (sweat and sweat and stretch); and a yin class (all seated on the floor stretching getting into the facia, and very calming).

For a first timer, let me assure you - no one cares what you can or cannot do.  If anything people are very welcoming first timers and newbies to the studio.  They love yoga and want to share with others.   But they do not care what you can or cannot do.  At all.  Don't be self conscious. 

Guys are in the minority.  Often I've been the only guy in a class.  (My saturday hot flow has two of us, sometimes three; I'm usually the only one in the evening yin; and often th only guy in my Sunday morning ashtanga but that has changed as of late).  The tendency for newbies is to roll out their mats in the farthest back corner of the room in the hope to hide from everyone.   Big mistake.  If you are new you need to, want to, see what the instructor is doing.   Move up.  I decided a long time ago I didn't want to be seen as the creepy old guy staring at the back sides of all the young ladies in yoga pants....  so I place my mat in the very front row to the left edge of the room.  Thats my spot...  I've had gals ask me why I'm always in the same spot and laugh at my answer.  But my daughters said "smart move dad".

Get a couple yoga blocks - they will help.  Help bring the floor up to you, allow you to push into them which eventually lets you get deeper into the pose. 

If looking for a studio or a class try the MindBody app or the Momence app as well as the internet.  Try out a "flow", a beginners or basic or slow flow.  Eventually as you get comfortable you may want more - power, heated, etc..  you can start there too, but if you are brand new you might want to learn the basic poses before you have sweat dripping down your nose. 

I started just wanting the physical work out - help w my mobility and flexibility - over time it has become so much more to me.  The hardest part after my hip replacement was waiting for the ok to get back into the yoga studio.   Sometimes some instructors can be a little hippy dippy for me but you take what you want from the class and leave the rest - being told you find grounding in mother earth never hurt anyone. 

This is a good ashtanga flow - I've been doing it for ten years and cannot float like she does, nor can I grab my feet twisting in the seated positions - but its not about what you cannot do "yet" but about what you can do and where you are going.  I remember the first time I got my legs into full lotus (a couple years after I started) and burst out in laughter in class - it was awesome.  Now there is nothing to it.   

Namaste

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

I do yoga for around 15 mins every morning, it's been a tremendous help for my back, legs, and hips. Plus it's helped me get more flexible in my core, which translates to the course.

Between BeachBody (my wife has a subscription) and YouTube, I'm covered. My favorite channel on YouTube is Yoga with Kassandra, she has a playlist of nearly 100 vids that are 10-15 mins long, perfect for a quick morning stretch for folks of all ages and abilities. Or if you want to go longer, she has playlists for that too.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

DDPY!  I've been doing DDP Yoga for a couple of years now.  For those don't know or don't remember, Diamond Dallas Page was a pro wrestler back in the 90's with WCW.  He injured his back wrestling and found yoga to be a huge help during his rehab. I really like his program because it really focuses on the back and he's still got that wresting edge that sets it apart from the normal "namaste" yoga vibe.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

On 2/26/2023 at 11:41 AM, hckymeyer said:

I'm a Peloton guy but battling golfers/tennis elbow right now so taking time off from lifting.  Rather than just riding every day I did their 3 week beginning yoga program and really enjoyed it.  Seems a good mix of stretching and bodyweight strength.  I can see myself mixing it in to my regular workouts.

So that said if you aren't in the Peloton platform I don't have much to suggest on where to go.  If you want to try Peloton you can just download the app and there is usually a 30 or 60 day free trial to see if you like the classes.  They have a ton of yoga and strength classes that don't require their Tread, Bike or Rowing machines. 

I haven't looked up Peloton but I guess I should. I have thought it was just a stationary bike with a rolling screen. I'll check into it. 

Thanks

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

I have a video series called 'Yoga For Golf' - I guess it's online as well.  Her videos are simple, easy to understand and replicate and has a golf orientation. I'm not as diligent in doing the exercises as I have been in the past - but I can confirm that it's a major help. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

My standard workouts incorporate yoga and stretches which is nice. I also have a stretching program that is pretty good. Inexpensive and is day to day videos. I signed up for 2 different programs but they have a ton.

https://members.yogabody.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=https%3A%2F%2Fmembers.yogabody.com&wlfrom=%2F

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

On 2/26/2023 at 11:46 AM, JFish350 said:

My back is giving me such a hassle of late and not being able to get into the gym, stretches are helping and been looking into yoga. All I was doing were body weight squats before a cardio class. 

I'm looking for opinions/suggestions of their experience with doing yoga and what apps/websites they use. 

I have been to a couple of yoga places but they are to quiet for guy who can't get into or even close to be a pretzel. With my back simple moves aren't easy, bird dogs, cat cows, etc are my extent. I am sure if I have more instruction or ideas would be better for progressing since golf season is here. I have almost done one of those yoga apps but haven't pushed the button yet. 

We come to this site for help with club decisions, swing thoughts ideas and help I figured I'd ask for help with this as well. 

Thanks for any suggestions

Jeremy 

One other 'thing' you might consider and it's also from personal experience. 2 yrs. ago I pulled my hamstring (golfing without warming up) during PT I got to use an inversion table and that was a huge help. However, I'm not sure if that helps on a preventative basis. I keep thinking about buying one since I tend to practice putting a lot and my back really hurts after. Here's a link to Costco's table:

https://www.costco.com/teeter-fitspine-x1-inversion-table.product.100469272.html

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I've had two back surgeries, and now spend about 30-40 minutes every day doing back work. Some of it is yoga poses, some of it is exercises from my PT sessions, and some classic stretching. Since you have back issues, I highly recommend doing the "McGill Big Three" exercises. You can find bunches of videos on it on YouTube, or get his book, "Back Mechanic" (Dr. Stuart McGill). The exercises don't take long (6-8 minutes), and it's time well spent for me. Good luck!

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever try "Par 4 Success"? I signed up, but I might be having buyers remorse. My health is more important than golf game, and that's what I hope to get out of it. If someone tried it let me know your thoughts. This would be a great test for MGS. 

I doing a lot better with all tips and ideas from everyone, Thank you all. I've doing beginner yoga and a stretch system called "Hyperbolic Stretching". I have also learned some about the "PSOAS" muscle. I am not where I want to be but I am further along than I was 2 weeks ago. 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter

6 hours ago, JFish350 said:

Anyone ever try "Par 4 Success"?

Have heard of it but not really looked into it, sorry. I also learned about the psoas muscle from my chiropractor as one side was weaker be the other....

But glad to hear about your health progress!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

This is exactly the resource I’ve been looking for. Thanks all!

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

A while back I really liked doing the yoga stuff on the Wii Fit for the original Wii (don't laugh).  It was really basic stuff but I loved using the balance board which really helped me get in really good positions.  Debating about trying to find that stuff again and wondering if anyone knows of anything similar.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

On 3/11/2023 at 8:32 AM, JFish350 said:

Anyone ever try "Par 4 Success"? I signed up, but I might be having buyers remorse. My health is more important than golf game, and that's what I hope to get out of it. If someone tried it let me know your thoughts. This would be a great test for MGS. 

I doing a lot better with all tips and ideas from everyone, Thank you all. I've doing beginner yoga and a stretch system called "Hyperbolic Stretching". I have also learned some about the "PSOAS" muscle. I am not where I want to be but I am further along than I was 2 weeks ago. 

Last year my psoas on my right side were giving me very painful spasms when getting out of bed in the morning.  I had never heard of them, but my massage therapist told me to strengthen my core.  After a few weeks the spasms went away and I am continuing the stretches.  Don't want that pain anymore!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, JerryB said:

A while back I really liked doing the yoga stuff on the Wii Fit for the original Wii (don't laugh).  It was really basic stuff but I loved using the balance board which really helped me get in really good positions.  Debating about trying to find that stuff again and wondering if anyone knows of anything similar.

I don't know about the gaming station Oculus stuff.  I have been doing "Hyperbolic Stretches.

https://hyperbolic-stretching.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAjbagBhD3ARIsANRrqEs2fHgFDi0P5v0zYJkM0XGWxtRHABNwDuwxoSaxSZ9IFK0VwVg6B1waAqM3EALw_wcB

This really helped with my back this year. I was doing these 2 years ago and they helped me get through a long season of officiating lacrosse and football. 

I do not know if these are helping the PSOAS muscles or not, but my back feels better. 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

OG White Hot #1 putter