Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Sub70 659 irons - anyone using them?

DStar

As it's a big birthday this year I'm going to treat myself to set of fitted irons. Being a lefty makes it a tougher task as there's not many local pros that keep much LH in stock for demo/fittings.

I had a day away with my daughter and, upon leaving, spotted the UK Sub70 fitting centre over the road. I've heard of them but never seen any in the flesh so popped in for a quick chat.

Based on what I told the guy there regarding swing speed/handicap etc, I'd be looking at the 659 irons. As a CNC programmer by trade I really like the look of them with the visible milling patterns. 

Does anyone here have them, compared them against the big brands?

I'll definitely be going back for a trial session soon to see how they stack up. 

:cobra-small: Aerojet  🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small: JPX921SEL 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 120 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

57 minutes ago, DStar said:

As it's a big birthday this year I'm going to treat myself to set of fitted irons. Being a lefty makes it a tougher task as there's not many local pros that keep much LH in stock for demo/fittings.

I had a day away with my daughter and, upon leaving, spotted the UK Sub70 fitting centre over the road. I've heard of them but never seen any in the flesh so popped in for a quick chat.

Based on what I told the guy there regarding swing speed/handicap etc, I'd be looking at the 659 irons. As a CNC programmer by trade I really like the look of them with the visible milling patterns. 

Does anyone here have them, compared them against the big brands?

I'll definitely be going back for a trial session soon to see how they stack up. 

I have a full longer term review which I am going through with them. I have the TC. 

Some quick notes - As much fun as the raw finish has been I do wish I had waited to get the black. Just my own preference and likely should have gotten the CB. 

They have similar distance and far superior feel compared to i210s and not too dissimilar profiles. I small gripe of my own is the 9 iron has significantly *visually* thicker top line than the rest of the set. It is weird.

As far as performance goes, these are stellar. I am going to trial something that gives me a bit extra distance, but middle strikes feel absolutely stunning. They give you plenty of ability to hit a wide variety of shots and decent forgiveness. Of course being a smaller cb type iron mishits are punished, but in a way that should be expected. 

There are little things that I nitpick over, but nothing that is too drastic. 

Sub70 did a very very good job with these irons and are ones that anyone should be happy to be playing or gaming within the handicap range. 

FInally for reference I also ordered mine from the the guys in the UK and they were great to deal with. Have fun and again if you want more details you can check out the review in my signature!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Thanks Jamie, good to hear that you're pleased with them. I'll have a read through your review 👍

:cobra-small: Aerojet  🐺 

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 

:mizuno-small: JPX921SEL 4-PW Nippon Modus³ Tour 120 X

:titleist-small: SM8 50° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 54° F-Grind 

:titleist-small: SM8 58° K-Grind 

DStar 'Malvern' Putter 

:titelist-small: AVX & -ProV1X

:footjoy-small: Tour-X 

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..