Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Iron head covers!🙈

I find it interesting that those people that frown on iron covers have the cute Tiger, Shark  etc head cover for the driver and other woods and hybrids in their bag.

Just like those clubs, I want to protect my investment.

I Play in SW WA and in the PDX area

I like to walk, I have a Clicgear with all the accoutrements and I am considering getting a V2.

I got a set of rubber iron covers, with the idea of extending the life of my irons. I used them for a few months, then took them off... too much of a hassle when playing.

clubcovers1.jpg

Edited by roland49

:taylormade-small:Taylormade R1 driver (set to 9 degrees)
:taylormade-small: Taylormade SLDR driver 10.5 degrees
:callaway-small: Callaway big bertha 3 wood
:wilson-small: Wilson 5 wood
:taylormade-small:Taylormade Aeoburner irons (5-pw)
:taylormade-small:Taylormade 52 degree wedge
Ping knock-off sand Wedge
Warrior 60 degree wedge
Trutech putter

I have used iron covers on my previous iron set (soft Japanese forging) and after 11 years of rather heavy use, they still looked quite good. Then early this January I got myself a new set of (still soft forged) irons. Being tired of the online bullying regarding iron head covers, I used them "naked" for 3 months. Well, the head covers are back... The chat (noise) is annoying, as I walk/carry so I had to have my hand on the heads and twisted in between to reduce that: uncomfortable and cold (in winter I often pay when it's freezing or close too that). Plus the chat (impacts of club on club was starting to have my beloved new heads look almost as used as their 11 years predecessors! Si back are the head covers and too bad for the "purists" who frown on me but probably don't walk/carry nor play as often as I do😁😎

I do use cover with a elastic band "around the hozel", like these:

https://www.amazon.com/BIG-TEETH-Covers-Headcovers-Number/dp/B091FKGC4N/ref=mp_s_a_1_11_sspa?crid=2AZCHAU7TZ5ZJ

they're very quick to take off, put back on, and never fall off. So I play as fast as anyone and never have to go looking for a fallen cover!

Edited by Franc38
Add a link to a model similar to what I use

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland Classic HB1. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.

I've never used iron covers, but I've also never purchased brand new irons. I can't say for sure if I'd use them, but they'd certainly be a consideration.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

After about 5 years I tossed the iron head covers and let nature take it's course. I really cant say that I had a full set, i guess to many rounds and a few too many beers is probably the cause.  Presently, I am looking to buy a new set of irons with iron head covers.  

Mountain golfer

I know people get super judgy about iron covers, but I really don't care.  Until they're the ones putting out the money for my clubs, then I'm the one who's responsible to keep them nice as long as possible.  I've never had the remove/replace of an iron head cover slow me down (since pace of play is the hot topic right now).  Also...every person has a driver and putter cover...why wouldn't you want to keep your irons in good shape too?  

I have the newest (last season's) Mizuno irons/wedges, and don't want to buy new irons for at least 4-5 years.  Going to try to keep them pristine any way I can.

"Play bad fast"  The gear and swing of a +3, with the scores of a +24!

Rogue ST:  Dr/3W

ADAMS:  3h/4h (these things should be in a museum...they're amazing)

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal:  5i-SW

I play XXIO golf clubs. For what they cost, you bet I have irons headcovers. Well honestly, I've used headcovers on my irons for many years and many sets of irons now. I always thought that those who didn't use headcovers were idiots or had so much money that they could change to new clubs whenever they wanted to have the newest version again. Even then, unless they found a place that would take theirs in trade it just made sense to me to keep them looking better so they could resell them. That doesn't even take into account the racket they make while crashing into each other as you're going down the fairway. Then there are those who complain that us clubhead cover users waste too much time taking the covers off and putting them back on. It slows us down too much, uh! I find that many of those complainers are the ones who mark their ball with a line that they can use to help them while putting. They waste much more time getting that line lined up perfectly, sometimes having to squat back down and adjust the way their ball line is pointing as many as two, three or four times. 

@roland49  I bought these.  I've seen the heavy duty Plastic/Rubber ones that are a lot more rigid, and consequently are harder to remove/replace.  

Here are the ones I bought.  $50 is not a lot if it extends the life/look of the clubs that you might be putting out $1000-1200 for. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BN9Z9C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

"Play bad fast"  The gear and swing of a +3, with the scores of a +24!

Rogue ST:  Dr/3W

ADAMS:  3h/4h (these things should be in a museum...they're amazing)

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal:  5i-SW

I agree, I hate to hear my irons bang together while driving the cart or walking so I've been using head covers for my clubs from the beginning. I had forged clubs at first, and was warned of "club chatter" damaging the clubs, which is when  I started using the neoprene covers and never looked back. My clubs always look good and when I trade them in I always get top amount so I think it is a win-win situation.

When my forged irons are new, I use neoprene iron head covers to protect them from bag rattle if I'm riding a cart, I don't use them when walking using a hand cart.  I just sold a set of Titleist AP2s that I kept in iron covers and the guy that bought them said they looked near mint even though they were nearly 5 years old.  Sold them for $400.00.  So do what you need to do to protect your investment  and resale/trade-in value.

Edited by aplynam
Spelling errors.

PXG 0311 Gen5 driver Diamana shaft

Callaway Epic 3 wood Hazrdus Yellow shaft

Sub 70 699 v2 Pro Irons Modus3 Tour 105 shafts

Sub 70 949 Pro 5 hybrid Hazrdus Smoke Black RBX Shaft

Titleist 3&4 H2 816 hybrids Diamante Blue Board shafts

Vokey TVD K grind 54 & 58 degree wedges

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack putter KBS Tour putter shaft.

On 5/6/2023 at 2:41 PM, fozcycle said:

There are two sounds that I grew up with playing golf……

—- the clickety clack of steel spikes on concrete

—- the clanking of steel versus steel of the clubs while jostling around in my bag.

Those were the sounds of golf in the 50’s and 60’s.  At 72, I still hear those sounds…….in my head.

Yes, sort of miss that metal spike sound.

:taylormade-small:Taylormade R1 driver (set to 9 degrees)
:taylormade-small: Taylormade SLDR driver 10.5 degrees
:callaway-small: Callaway big bertha 3 wood
:wilson-small: Wilson 5 wood
:taylormade-small:Taylormade Aeoburner irons (5-pw)
:taylormade-small:Taylormade 52 degree wedge
Ping knock-off sand Wedge
Warrior 60 degree wedge
Trutech putter

I have used iron covers on my last three sets, and the oldest set looks almost as good as my current set, which after 7 years looks almost new. Just bought a new set of leather covers with magnetic closures built in on Amazon for $32. Should last longer than neoprene covers I had. 

Set1
Driver - :cobra-small:Cobra King F6+ set 9.5 D, Matrix 65M4 Black Tie R-Flex 65g low-mid launch 
Fairway - :cobra-small:Cobra F6 3/4 and 7/8 both R-flex
Irons - Tour Edge Exotics E8 Steel R-flex 4-PW
Wedges - :cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX 50 and 54, and Smart Sole 3 58
Putter - Top Flite Tour Align 5
Rangefinder - Leupold GX-2i3

Set2

Driver - Custom Built - Accura SP-700 400cc 10deg 48.5" S-flex

Hybrids - :adams-small:Adams Idea A50s 3 and 4

Irons - :taylormade-small:Taylor Made Burner Oversize 3-PW, lightly used 3 and 4 still in original plastic(auction buy $15 w/bag and several other clubs)

Wedges - Snake Eyes 52 & 56 and Dunlop True Tech Lob 64

Putter - W :wilson-small:ilson Harmonized M1

Set 3

My original set approximately 43 years old and I occasionally take the irons out for a swing

:titelist-small:Titleist Lite 100

Whenever I've sold or traded irons to upgrade, I'm thankful I didn't let the pooh poohers influence me.  I have always gotten more money for them because they haven't beaten each other up. 

Epic Flash Sub Zero 10o

Mavrik SZ 3 wood and 3 Hybrid

Mavrik Pro 5-PW

PXG 1 iron

Mack Daddy 46,52,60

Odyssey Stroke Lab Marxman

Never use them and I take good care of my clubs with careful cleaning and wiping them down when finished.  I sell my clubs based on the appraised value on PGAValueGuide.com.  That is the blue book for golf clubs.  I bought my most recent set of clubs new in 2019, T300s and they look like new and will be purchasing a new set this fall.  Based on their numbers, this is what I will be looking to sell them for and they do not ask if they have had head covers on the irons or not. 5-53W.   Resale Value - $451.00 - $610.00.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I am getting iron covers if for nothing else to use for travel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#GoBallsOutAlways #GoRickieGo

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip
Driving Irons:     :Sub70:699 Pro 2-:truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips

Irons:     Custom:Sub70: 639 CB 5-Pw :truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips   
Wedges:   WedgeFx 52,56,60-:truetemper: DG S400Shafts-NO1 50 Series Grips 
Putter:      :Sub70: Sycamore 007-NO1 P90 Pistol Grip
Ball:           :odin:X1

Bag:     Side Street- Back9 Backpack Bag

Link to my Bag Boy ZTF Review!

I've played with partners that were constantly fiddling with their iron covers.  "Do you see my cover?"  No.  "Heck, I put my 8 cover on my 7, and vice versa", etc.  My irons are about four years old, and they great.  Maybe a few signs of wear on the heels and toes, but the sweet spot is untouched in several of them!  Golf can be, and should be, played quickly.  I've played 18 in under 2 hours (barely) when playing on a deserted course as a single.  Don't be the guy holding your foursome back.  Skip the covers!

10 handicap, French Bulldog owner, Sports enthusiast 

Iron covers all the way for my stealth irons. After over a year of use, still looking in good condition. I use the back of the cover to wipe my club after each shot, so defo have multiple uses

Edited by Adam austin

Ads Austin

yes I use iron covers, and will continue to use them.  I bought a nice of dark PXG irons and want to keep them looking nice.  anyone who doesn't use them, good for them.  I also don't complain about not running around the course in 2.5 hours for 18.  I'm out to enjoy myself and relax, not jam through it as fast as possible.  now, I'm now down for 5 or 6 hour rounds.  I'm fine with a 4 hour round though.  I play to a 6 handicap currently and heading down more this season hopefully.

For my PING's I have iron covers, but I only use them when I am traveling.  On the course I am usually using a handcart, so while they bounce around a bit it is nothing like the motorized cart.  When I am moving them around in travel though I keep the headcovers on them.  Where I live I would say except for Asian players, no one uses the iron headcovers on the course, but some do when they are stored away.  I think it more relevant to keep them clean and every now and then touch up the dings on them that happen from normal wear from play. When it is off season they are always with the headcovers and the top of the bag is also on. 

image.png.b89fa684b54b186f20c376e6af43ac1d.png 425's- 5i to PW, UW

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  G400 Driver, G425 3W, G425 7W, G425 3H

image.png.cf53a065a6e348c87221c4bf13510375.png 56 degree Hi-Toe wedge

image.png.4462ac5ffcc9491d68e78951b3a1a587.png  Glide 60 degree 

image.png.d4990c8d6330ecc392d9a5124b26165a.png Evnroll ER3

I have been an iron head cover user for years. Partly because the noise of them rattling together make me nuts, but mostly because I travel for golf quite a bit and I like the extra protection from TSA abuse. Pro tip: Caddies HATE them so remove them before handing your bag off. 

Steven "Marty" Grant

6 hours ago, NoRebound said:

Go to a high-end course sometime and play with a caddy.  If they are experienced what is the first thing they do?  Take off all head covers except the driver and 3 wood and off you go.   

Irons were designed to clank together in your bag.  They can take the beating even.  I don't trade clubs in until they are shot so I don't care about cosmetics and thus no iron covers.

The "clanking" from a caddy carrying a bag is mild compared to the clanking that takes place on a riding golf cart - no comparison. Many here use golf carts...so your example is meaningless. And even if you take them off during rounds, iron covers are a good idea for bags that regularly ride around in car trunks or on planes.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)
On 5/6/2023 at 11:35 AM, Alan Scalzi said:

Just wanted to know if I'm not the only one!! Just purchased a set of callaway rogue irons ( played 2 rounds , best 2 rounds of my life) I hate hearing them beating against each other in the bag during the round! So I just purchased a set of callaway iron covers! I can't be the only one?

I did get a set of Craftsman Golf White & Blue USA iron covers for the Callaway Paradym’s I am testing. 

Play like a champion today!

I'm 100% for iron covers. I use them all the time. Doesn't take but a second to put on and off and it is much quieter, and keep gouging to a minimum. I also like the personalization aspect as well. 

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

The cost for new irons  "yes" dark finish Pings soft metal, work great but get dinged up always have a cover on them unless they're being played. Then the covers go in the bag. They get more banged up in and out of the trunk that on the course. If it has a cover on it it didn't get used so still clean. Time saving also. I clean my clubs as some as I get home. Help recall my round. Covers yes. First New set of irons ever, at age 64.   Start playing at age 28 coversyes

65 year old in Michigan

11 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

read an article a while back about Sahith Theegala and they asked him about using covers on his irons and if I recall correctly he described how his dad worked long and hard to get him his set of clubs and he wanted to do everything he could to keep them in perfect condition.

I think you mean Aaron Rai who also uses two rain gloves for every shot. Interesting dude. 

I don’t put covers on my irons, I kinda like the sound when walking and the character they develop over time. I also don’t use them on my hybrid or fairway wood, which is obvious when you look at them. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

I had my Wilson FG59's refinished by The Iron Factory (HIGHLY recommend them) and they came back like jewelry. As a forged blade, there was no way that I was NOT going to put neoprene iron covers on them. 2 years later, they still look factory fresh...actually better as The Iron Factory finish is light years better than OEM. 

I paid a lot of money for my clubs and want to protect them from clattering around in the back of my truck, while traveling and while walking the course.

I know there are a lot of purists who sneer at golfers with iron head covers - don't care.  I've used them for decades and will continue to do so.

:taylormade-small: Stealth Driver
:srixon-small: ZX 3W
:cobra-small: RadSpeed 3-hybrid
:taylormade-small: P790 (2021) irons (4-PW)
635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  CBX-2 GW, SW & LW
:EVNROLL: ER7 Putter
:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour DIVIDE / image.png.5c73aa0e191520c63e4a7567ea08cf4a.pngTour -  image.png.70e0eeb259be4d89842e31955c4a2f83.png
image.png.01a298ec5595cfbe94cf034d738c10fd.png Revolver XL
image.png1500Li Cart

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 HD Pro Rangefinder / image.png.e9071b3377299921b87f929d3e042fa6.png S20 GPS Watch
image.png.a78b2d4ee5b8826f57bf30ca7bcf0cb7.png + Launch Monitor

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy   usafa.png.fb60aa7a77f130b1057160837c0a4a29.png

image.png

image.png