Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Where you should play from!

So I just started back up playing alot more golf ( high school and college once a week) , now the same. Sum of the same playing group! We play from the whites most or all the time, but feel its zero fun always hitting a driver then a fairway wood from alot of par 4! Read an article that said take your average 5 iron and multiple it by 36 and that is were you should hit from! Thats seems most of the time either we play long or really really short nothing normal close to that number! Don't get me wrong a good weekend is one round and a great weekend is well 2 rounds! 

Alan Scalzi 

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Play from where you have fun and aren’t holding up pace of play 

Agree!

• Bag             1590477705_SunMountain.png.3391233ea391e8b6fde951d09bc76f6b.png  C130, 14 way Cart Bag
  • Driver         Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png      TSR1
  • Fairway      default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               GBB Epic 5
  • Hybrid        default_callaway-small.jpg.aef84328349c576af498d3d5dca1addb.jpg               Epic Flash 4H
  • Iron             lazarus.png.24092c99689747a2f7bd9cb786badde7.png              2 iron
  • Irons          635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      Launcher HB, 4 through PW
  • Wedges     635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png      CBX2, 54 & 60 degree
  • Putter        Seemore3.jpg.1cb64ec83d2511c1ee1a386340a04d4e.jpg    Seemore Si1 Putter
  • Ball            Titleist2.png.8b09d3ee0000870a77d83dce357a0efd.png       Titleist pro v1x
  • Other        2000014788_ArccosSig.jpg.af5434230b907b708eb89aebd4125f95.jpg

Play from where you enjoy the game. I've moved back a set at my home course and moved up at others. 

I would agree driver then fairway would be a drag!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I go from the yellows, it's where I feel comfortable playing from and feels right for me.

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

When I was working as a golf architect, we designed courses in a way that everyone was using the same club or close to it for their second shot, on average. Most courses are designed with a specific landing area with no concern for what the person is using for their second shot. I would say if you’re always hitting driver then fairway wood, moving up a set may be more enjoyable for your distances. 

Dr. Walter Young IV, PT, DPT

37 minutes ago, Collar said:

The biggest issue facing “pace of play” is too many people playing from tees they have no business playing from. When will people learn that it’s based on skill and not age.

My experience is carts are the biggest issue with pace of play and the users not understanding ready golf. 

11 minutes ago, Wmyoungiv said:

When I was working as a golf architect, we designed courses in a way that everyone was using the same club or close to it for their second shot, on average. Most courses are designed with a specific landing area with no concern for what the person is using for their second shot. I would say if you’re always hitting driver then fairway wood, moving up a set may be more enjoyable for your distances. 

I bet that was a rewarding and challenging  job, did you get to try the courses you had designed once they were complete? What was the course you were most proud of, some of the members might have played on your work?

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

43 minutes ago, gingerbeast87 said:

I bet that was a rewarding and challenging  job, did you get to try the courses you had designed once they were complete? What was the course you were most proud of, some of the members might have played on your work?

Yep, usually the first ones to play the courses on the reopening day, or ceremonial reopening. I used to joke that I had the course record, until the next group came along. 

I can’t really claim anything cause I didn’t get to do a lot of design work, mostly grading. So in that regard, a course we built in China, 27 holes, skydoor golf club. I didn’t get to play that one, wasn’t finished when I left. Renovation work that some may have played are The Waters Edge CC, CC of Orangeburg, or The Reserve at Pawley’s Island. I did get to do the exploration work of what Pinehurst #2 would look like if it was taken back to original style and Coore/Crenshaw used it as a base. 

I keep seeing this, play to your distance and to be honest, I agree. 
My old course had a lot of senior members, yet there were lots of holes with some big carries. You just knew these old boys were stuffed from the get go. I loved this course though, it was a about placement and reading the geography.
My current course isn’t long at 6043 yards it has 1 par 5 and 4 par 4s over 410 yards. One particular par 4 is 440 yards but you tee up 5 yards below the fairway ( if that makes sense) it’s a bit of a thump, and a bunker at 220-230 is a nuisance. 
The course really is set up for your average good player with a driver carry of 230 yards … so it will catch them out. The long boys have no issues. Apart from heather and generally bad lies ..so distance can be small but the course can still be unpleasant.

Epic speed - GPLB in long flex 

Ping 425 max 3 wood/ Callaway Rogue 5w

PXG 7 wood/ Ping g425 Crossover 3 

Ping G430 irons 5- 46 degree (+2 degree loft)  ( graphite shafts) 

Ping  glide 4 , 50,56

Vokey SM6 60 degree M grind

yes Donna or maybe a centre shaft white hot 2ball 

assorted updates/ stand ins stored safely for the call up

Still adjusting the set up 

At my home course, the further you move up, the tighter the tee shots get. I find I play better from further back just because there is more room to miss. I’m not particularly long off the tee either. I just find it more difficult to thread the ball through a dog leg. 

PXG Gen 4 driver, wood, and hybrid

PXG 0311T Gen 3 irons

Vokey SM8 wedges

Odyssey stroke lab putter

For those kinds stuck with what tees to play do you ever play split tees? Or do you feel there should be another set of tees at your course?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I do it by score more or less. Most courses, I play from the whites. I'm an older guy and I've had my spine reassembled a few times. I don't hit it that far. My score hovers around 80. If I play a new course and can't get close to that, I'll move up a tee.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen6 TT Riptide CB 60 s

3 Wood: Ping G430 max Alta CB 65 s

Hybrids: Ping G430 19, 22, 26 Alta CB 70 s

Irons: Mizuno JPX923 forged 6-Gap TT DG 105 s

Wedges: Mizuno S23 54, 58 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Putter: Scotty Cameron SS Golo 6.5

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Bag: Sun Mountain C-130S

Electronics: Bushnell Tour V6 shift, Golf Buddy aim 11  

I agree with some other posters here. Play from where you are comfortable playing from without holding things up. If you can't get to most par 4's in two, move up. Or, if a set of tees has you hitting over or around penalty areas on a lot of your tee shots and you are in constant trouble, move up. I'm thinking of one course we play occasionally that the white tees (6,150 yds.) have you going over significant water or marshes on 14 holes. All it takes is one player in the group to have a bad day and it will turn into a real long round. Moving to the gold tees has you avoiding most of that.

Some courses are long, flatter and with wide fairways, some short with tight fairways, hills, doglegs, lots of bunkers and penalty areas. On courses I'm not familiar with I look at the slope and rating first, yards second. 

No mention of age group? I was told that when you are 55 and older, and can no longer consistently drive the ball (at least), 240 yards, move up to the senior tees (5700-6000). But, I think, more importantly, look closely at slope and course rating? There are still gold tees that slope in excess of 131 slope, and that's plenty of golf course for me.

Christopher J Kim

I have found that by moving up a set of tees, I have a better chance of getting on in regulation. Moved up from 6100 to around 5900 yards. 

Just purchased the new Ping G430 HL (High Launch) line: Driver 3 & 5 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid. 6 - PW, 45, 50 and 4.0 Glide 56* SW. New Alta Quick 45 g shafts. 

Here in The Netherlands you have a golf app where you registrate you're qualifying scores and it suggests a playing tee for you.

I recently start to follow those recommendations to play from blue instead of from yellow and it's just as much fun 😀

Driver:           :PXG:0811 XF GEN4 10,5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 60 regular shaft.

Hybrids:        :cobra-small:  FLY-Z 3/4/5 , VLCT ALTUS R-flex 75gr. shaft.

Irons:             :cobra-small:  Speedzone One Length Irons 5-GW - KBS Tour 90 Regular shaft.

Wedges:        ST8TS Tour T Wedges 52-56-60 + 1,5cm KBS regular shaft.

Putter:            MLA Tour XDream 'Black Edition' Superstroke 3.0 slim (standard 34")

Ball's:             :honma: D1 and TW-X for the moment till i can find a better deal 😉

Rangefinder:  Garmin Fenix 6X Pro, ZIYOUHU Chinese laser, Garmin Approach X40., SwingU app.

Privileged to been testing the MLA Tour XDream BLACK EDITION SuperStroke 3.0 slim AND SwingU app for MyGolfSpy!

All great follow up questions above for you to consider. Using your math (5 iron x 36, and my 5 iron is lofted like most 6 irons now adays), I'd be playing 6600-6800. While that's cool, I prefer 6200-6400. Are you playing with handicaps? I love that I have a course handicap off my index for every tee, and not just the farthest 2 back. are you playing matches, and it only seems fair to play off the same tees? If you're playing for fun, tee closer. 

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

I've always known comps Gold, blokes White, seniors (65+) Red and the gals off Blue regardless of handicap. I have played with a scratch lady who played blue 1st 9 and then with us off Whites (back 9). Either side she walloped us by 8 strokes...... makes no difference to me as long as I'm not waiting an age for you to get off the putting surface. If you cannot hole 3 putts pick up, your hole is blown anyway.......

Driver: Cleveland Launcher

3 Wood: TaylorMade M4

Rescue: TaylorMade Burner 

Irons: Wilson Staff D9 Forged

Wedges: Adams 54; Cleveland 60

Putter: Tour Edge Double Flow

I am 79 years old and no longer have the distance (with any club) the way I used to. I was playing a red-green combo at my club and was consistently in the 96-105 range per round. Going to the green tees - a change of 1.3 on rating and 1 on slope seemed like a good idea in spite of the advice that the green tees were for folks 80+ years old. I am now posting rounds in the 80-90 range.  Even managed to have a great round and shot my age. Most importantly I am really enjoying golf again.  So, play from where you can have the most fun. The handicap system will take care of things if you are playing someone. 

I do it kind of differently. As i'll look up the course before I play on GHIN and play from the most forward set where my handicap doesn't drop. For example this is the course I'm playing next weekend. I have a 5.1 index so from the blue tees I am a 6, but from the whites I am a 1. They also have black where I'd be a 10. So I am going to play the blue tees.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

18 hours ago, Cole McCain said:

On par 4s, after an average drive you should have 7 iron-wedge in your hand. Don't play tees that force you to always hit long irons into greens. Also don’t have a wedge into every green either. 

This ^^^^^^

I moved up to the "senior" (gold) tees at my home course last year because I got tired of hitting fairway wood of hybrid for my second shot on all but two of our par 4s from the white tees. 

Edited by BobBC78
clarity

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Kuro Kage HBP Black Gen 2, 44.5" length

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft (1)

Cleveland CBX4 50* and 58*, Smart Sole 4C - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Currently doing a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

12 hours ago, Brooky03 said:

To the pace of play point that's often made, I don't think tees are the big issue.  It's the, 'search the woods for 5 minutes, find ball, get rangefinder, triple check it, take 3 practice swings, duff, repeat' that seems to slow play down, in my experience.

I absolutely agree with you. If I hit one in the woods or an area with high grass I take a quick look and if I don't see my ball I drop one take my penalty stroke and move on. They make balls every day, drop one and move on and stop slowing down the whole golf course over a dam golf ball. 

Frank musolino 

Absolutely play the tees that offer you the chance to get the most enjoyment from your game.  I used to play regularly with a former low (2.0) handicapper who, at age 80, insisted on playing the same tees he used to.  The rounds became one long complaint about how he couldn't play like he used to.  Suggestions that he move up a tee box (or two) were always met with disdain -- "You were never a good player so you don't understand."  He plays by himself these days.

Also, ask your course if they can put together a set of split/combo tees.  Your state golf association has most of the data needed for this to happen (assuming your home course has been rated in the past few years).

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X