Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×

Driver face always open!

So last night on the home range ( garmin R10 and a net) , was just keeping my hand in as it were.

All my clubs absolutely fine face and path angles nice and low good tight dispersion.. really pleased, this is fine.

Then I pull the driver out, now I don’t want to swing any differently but club path was good small left as in 0.5 degrees up to 2.5 degrees right ( if I adapt.. right handed by the way) .. but the face angle was 3+ degrees open ( facing right). So I am just sending balls right.

I started to investigate, and I am an ex grass hockey player so I have a strong left hand, I can play US hockey with either side and possibly stronger on the left ( but that was 40years ago) . So I was thinking is my hand preventing the right releasing .. after adjusting ball position, swing path and hand height ( I did a fair bit of experimenting) . I then tried to weaken off the left hand try to reduce its input and that got me going left, but that felt like it required timing, and to me that feels like a weak / sensitive solution. 

Fast forward to the end of the session and I just tried something counterintuitive, I opened up for a fade and hit a straight ball.

Now I will try again today, but I wondered whether my left hip is actually preventing release … does that make sense? 

Epic speed - GPLB in long flex 

Ping 425 max 3 wood/ Callaway Rogue 5w

PXG 7 wood/ Ping g425 Crossover 3 

Ping G430 irons 5- 46 degree (+2 degree loft)  ( graphite shafts) 

Ping  glide 4 , 50,56

Vokey SM6 60 degree M grind

yes Donna or maybe a centre shaft white hot 2ball 

assorted updates/ stand ins stored safely for the call up

Still adjusting the set up 

There are some folks in here that will take a look but will want videos of the swing from face on and from behind the ball.  

If you post a few to this thread I'm sure a few will jump in and take a look.  

@RickyBobby_PR has a ton of knowledge and has given me some great advice.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

33 minutes ago, Ding-dong said:

Fast forward to the end of the session and I just tried something counterintuitive, I opened up for a fade and hit a straight ball.

This just offset the face being open.

But a video from face on and dtl would tell us exactly what’s happening.

Any flaws we have in our swing will become more prevalent the longer the club.

when videoing the swing the camera should be at hand height. For dtl the camera should be pointing down the hand line and face on should be at the center of the body.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

12 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

This just offset the face being open.

Yes that’s what I thought as well when I put the numbers together, so I will investigate further. For me I am just looking for the fastest most efficient way to move my body, I can alter the path either way it’s just the face won’t close like the other clubs. I appreciate that perhaps shorter clubs allow me to smother them and get to low face angles at impact. I am a very straight hitter by nature throughout the bag and even the driver but I feel like I am controlling the driver … so there is a confidence thing there.

Ping  glide 4 , 50,56

3 hours ago, Ding-dong said:

For me I am just looking for the fastest most efficient way to move my body, I can alter the path either way it’s just the face won’t close like the other clubs. I appreciate that perhaps shorter clubs allow me to smother them and get to low face angles at impact. I am a very straight hitter by nature throughout the bag and even the driver but I feel like I am controlling the driver … so there is a confidence thing there.

It could be lots of things perhaps it is your setup and you completely change you swing with the driver,  could be that the club is too heavy and it rotates too slowly.   Could be the shaft and the feel won’t let you release the club.  Could be that the appearance of the head makes you setup with the face open.     Could be that you are trying to rotate so fast you are leaving the club behind you and have to make lots of compensations. Could be a million other things.  Without an assessment of you swing via video all anyone can do is give you a random tip that might or might not work.  

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

It could be lots of things perhaps it is your setup and you completely change you swing with the driver,  could be that the club is too heavy and it rotates too slowly.   Could be the shaft and the feel won’t let you release the club.  Could be that the appearance of the head makes you setup with the face open.     Could be that you are trying to rotate so fast you are leaving the club behind you and have to make lots of compensations. Could be a million other things.  Without an assessment of you swing via video all anyone can do is give you a random tip that might or might not work.  

Yes totally agree, I went out for another session.. probably driving the neighbours mad but they will get over it. 
I checked my set up, that’s alway a good start. It improved my club face angle and speed. I then narrowed the stance, shoulder width ( I have no acls in both knees, so sliding knees is a disaster) . Started to get a closed face or left face path, but was not really striking middle and then I sprayed the face to see my strike position. 
I have now got a little more comfortable with face angle, and closed it down. Still have to groove it follow a routine and limit variations after that I can use the rest of my game. 

Ping  glide 4 , 50,56

I had this problem when I took lessons a couple of years ago. Driver was always going straight right. Not a slice. Basically I was coming out of my posture and opening the club face. The instructor showed me videos and sure enough on my shots to the right I was coming up on the downswing. The shots where I held my posture I was consistently hitting nice tight draws. Then he had me setup for a fade. On the shots I kept my posture I hit these nice tight fades that landed basically where the draws did when I kept my posture landed. Basically he was showing me if I held my posture I was squaring the club face and I got much more consistent off the tee. 

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

NOT a swing coach, more a guy who needs one, that being said when I finally figured out what was causing me to do that with driver and woods was I was bringing the club head back farther away from my body than I should. I am not saying to big of a back swing just the shaft was to far away from my neck at the peak. This cause me to leave my face open at impact and with no other changes than to move the club closer to my body on the back swing the problem basically went away. This may be miles from whats causing your problem but its an easy thing to check .

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag