Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Driveway Stakes (Oh, I'm sorry, Training Rods)

I haven't used mine in awhile. I think it's a rip that they sell these in golf stores for 2x the price. Most people don't know where to get them. Just go to Lowe's, go to the mailbox section and look for 'fiberglass driveway markers.'

I usually just use some scotch tape if I'm on mats.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

I haven't used mine in awhile. I think it's a rip that they sell these in golf stores for 2x the price. Most people don't know where to get them. Just go to Lowe's, go to the mailbox section and look for 'fiberglass driveway markers.'

I usually just use some scotch tape if I'm on mats.

Yeah, the price they charge at golf stores is crazy. It can actually be 5X the price.

The range I go to sells the driveway rods so I just bought it there for 4 bucks. Don't know what they cost at lowes but 4 bucks was good enough for me.

Driver- G410 plus 9°

Fairway- Ping G410 LST 14.5°

Hybrid- 818 H2 19°

Irons- 4-PW 718 AP3

Wedges- Vokey SM7 48°  54°  58°

Putter- Taylormade Spider X

I use these (almost) religiously. I keep them in my bag at all times and try not to hit shots at the range without throwing them down first. I read somewhere recently that, "Pros use alignment aids to practice, chops don't." I don't want to be a chop, so I use alignment sticks. That makes me a pro, right?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

Got a pair for $4. No snow in Sac so Lowe's looked at me funny when I asked for them.

Nice to use on the range in front of the ball to help me keep the target line in mind.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I use these (almost) religiously. I keep them in my bag at all times and try not to hit shots at the range without throwing them down first. I read somewhere recently that, "Pros use alignment aids to practice, chops don't." I don't want to be a chop, so I use alignment sticks. That makes me a pro, right?

LOL! Yes it makes you a pro...

I use them quite a bit. I put one down on the putting green trying to make the putter straight back and straight thru. People look at me like I am crazy. Where I play, not many guys practice so having the sticks in the bag is ridiculous to them. Who care what others think....

PING G400 Max / Accra Fx 2.0

Callaway ROGUE 5W / Accra Fx 2.0

TaylorMade 2009 Hybrids

Mizuno 900 JPX Hot Metal w / XP 95

Mizuno S5 Wedges

Odyssey 2-Ball Putter

Bridgestone RXS Ball

Vessel Stand Bag

I use them quite a bit. I put one down on the putting green trying to make the putter straight back and straight thru. People look at me like I am crazy. Where I play, not many guys practice so having the sticks in the bag is ridiculous to them. Who care what others think....

cheers to that.. who cares what they think. Let's see how they react when you are crushing them on the course ;)

cheers to that.. who cares what they think. Let's see how they react when you are crushing them on the course ;)

Yeah, the price they charge at golf stores is crazy. It can actually be 5X the price.

+3 Much cheaper at Lowe's or Home Depot. Plus they come in a few more interesting colors. I got mine from Lowe's in Lime Green to match my bag. ;)

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

they do look so cool in the bag....

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Looks like I'm making a trip to Lowe's this weekend, even though there's too much snow to use them...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

Just got back from the range where I used mine (now I am a pro). They really did help me deal with aiming issues. I used two of them off the front of the mat. Mats today, ugh. Just sat them parallel toward my target. I think that it did help me to keep my swing on plane. Contact was pretty good today.

Volvo Intorqueo

If your course was a popular place for local high school, college players, and ex-college players like mine, then you'd look out of place if you didn't have at least one sticking out of your bag.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

I picked up some of these at Lowe's also. After my lesson with Jim Hardy, he told me to get some and use them in my practice sessions. I use them to ensure proper alignment and also proper hip movement during the swing.

• 2 weeks later...

I always have them in my bag, but it down between the ball and my feet facing down range to help with alignment and how far I stand from the ball.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

If your course was a popular place for local high school, college players, and ex-college players like mine, then you'd look out of place if you didn't have at least one sticking out of your bag.

What course is that?

I always have 2 sticks in my bag to intimidate my opponents. In Myrtle, it failed because they had to ask me, "What are those things?"

• SPY VIP

What course is that?

I always have 2 sticks in my bag to intimidate my opponents. In Myrtle, it failed because they had to ask me, "What are those things?"

Did you respond "lightsabers" quickly whip them around making buzzing sounds?

Seriously, don't you take them out when you go play? I do but mainly because I view them as extra weight when carrying.

Volvo Intorqueo

What course is that?

Randall Oaks in West Dundee

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Seriously, don't you take them out when you go play? I do but mainly because I view them as extra weight when carrying.

I don't if I'm booking some significant range time beforehand. Otherwise, yes.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

No. Despite my love of comics, I'm not a big Star Wars guy.

And again, no, I don't take them out to play, they're always in the bag. When I play I either push or ride, so the weight doesn't matter to me.

What course is that?

That's the worst. They are driveway stakes, use your imagination. I hate answering the question over and over.

• SPY VIP

That's the worst. They are driveway stakes, use your imagination. I hate answering the question over and over.

"Multi-compound alignment devices."

mine have rubber caps on plastic, hence the multi...

Volvo Intorqueo

Meh. I don't mind trying to be helpful, some people just don't take the game as seriously as we do.

Old crusty curmudgeons are usually the ones to ask. One of these days, I'm going to snap and answer, "To beat you with old man". :huh:

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Old crusty curmudgeons are usually the ones to ask. One of these days, I'm going to snap and answer, "To beat you with old man". :D

Who are you, Jamo?

The guy who asked was old, but not crusty. He was also about 6'3" and pretty big. Not that I couldn't have whipped him with my alignment sticks, but I'm trying to respect my elders. Learned about the from the First Tee. :)

I'll use these sometimes to make sure my alignment is correct. Anyone else?

They're a lot cheaper then buying what some of these Golf companies try to tell you are alignment stakes. You can get them in all kinds of assorted colors as well. I was thinking of buying a 1,000 and sellings like that one guy on eBay does. become a millionare off of selling alignment aids. LOL. They are great tools....

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

I've seen them for sale on golf websites for as much as $25 for two rods, why are people spending this much money? and you know people are buying them at this price or the ads wouldn't be still out there. The $2 rods at Home depot or lowes do the same exact trick. I love using the 2 rods I have especially on the putting green they really help with alignment. My short putts have improved greatly!

Driver: Ping G410 10.5* w/Hazrdus Blk 6.0 (S)

Fairway W: Ping G400 3 Wood w/stock (S)

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Lo 3 w/stock (S)

Irons:  Ping i210 4-PW w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 48, 52, 56 w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Putter: Odyssey 3T

Ball: Taylormade TP5 X 

Archived