Our Sponsors

Dude, this was an awesome weekend for golf fans. Love him or hate him, Tiger made the Valspar feel like the US Open.

While he plays a different game than vintage Tiger, there's one thing that was absolutely vintage: the insane circus of a gallery that follows him. There's a level of excitement on every shot he hits that just doesn't exist in golf. You'll have to look at football or basketball to find anything like it. See exhibit A where everyone around him (besides Reed) just completely wilted next to his heat. Ask Vijay Singh or Ernie Els how that feels.

Even though enough putts didn't drop today, there's still some tremendous hope for his outlook this year. In a way, you could argue that not winning will set him up better for the Majors. He knows it too. You can tell in his smile as he walked off 18.

And yes, I shook the house when he made that putt on 17.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I believe he will win a Major this year and yes it is great for the game.

• Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Free hat, Free Budweiser & Free Pizza....all day at #16. And I got to park just 60 yards from the main gate!     Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I know it's a week early but I can't help but getting in the jab that there will be twice as many players capable of winning the Masters at the Valspar as there will be at..... the Masters.   One of

Lets take a step back and realize that TW a year ago told us he was not sure if he would ever play competitive golf agin, fast forward about a year and he is tied for 2nd place going into Sunday, for

Posted Images

Amazed that Paul Casey shot equal low round of the tournament to come from outside the top ten and only 3 mentions in this thread. A good result for TW, but how about more respect for the guy that beat him (and everyone else)

This is where my dislike of TW comes from, it's not him I dislike really, it's the fact that it's as if no one else is playing, even when they beat him.

10 under wins and 6 under in the last round to do it is pretty outstanding.

When someone comes from that far out and finishes that early to win, they still just get about as much run as Casey (unless it's Tiger). I thought NBC did an excellent job covering everyone in contention until they fell out. Heck, they showed almost every shot Casey took coming down the stretch.

Even if Paul Casey led wire to wire and held off Tiger, the story still wouldn't have shifted that hard towards Casey because he's still Paul Casey and he'll never have the magnitude that a once-in-a-generation player like Tiger generates.

I mentioned Casey as many times as I could in this post (to help out the balance) so there's 6 more to get us up to 9

Even still, this comment was all about

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

When someone comes from that far out and finishes that early to win, they still just get about as much run as Casey (unless it's Tiger). I thought NBC did an excellent job covering everyone in contention until they fell out. Heck, they showed almost every shot Casey took coming down the stretch.

Even if Paul Casey led wire to wire and held off Tiger, the story still wouldn't have shifted that hard towards Casey because he's still Paul Casey and he'll never have the magnitude that a once-in-a-generation player like Tiger generates.

I mentioned Casey as many times as I could in this post (to help out the balance) so there's 6 more to get us up to 9

Have to agree the coverage wasn't bad. They showed TW but as soon as another player got hot they followed them also. The coverage of Casey, Reed & Rose was OK in my opinion.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

The haters are trembling!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Motore X F3 5S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue 75S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Modus 3 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1, 34.5", BGT Stability Tour, 71* lie angle, Press II 3* Grip

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Never been a big Tiger fan, but I don't know how you can deny the benefit to the game that the excitement around him generates.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Congrats to Casey, well done. Now that's over, this event was all about TW.

• Like 1

Amazed that Paul Casey shot equal low round of the tournament to come from outside the top ten and only 3 mentions in this thread. A good result for TW, but how about more respect for the guy that beat him (and everyone else)

This is where my dislike of TW comes from, it's not him I dislike really, it's the fact that it's as if no one else is playing, even when they beat him.

10 under wins and 6 under in the last round to do it is pretty outstanding.

I understand, but why is that Tiger's fault?

I understand your argument and agree. Not anti TW but Casey played a great 18 and deserved/earned the win.

Casey is a very likable guy and I'm pumped for him getting back in the Masters!

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 6 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey Triple Track 10 Putter 

I understand, but why is that Tiger's fault?

"it's not him I dislike really, "

Not Tiger's fault, but he doesn't seem to discourage the hype from his quite often over the top fans. I wonder if more players would have had a run at him over the years if they weren't having to deal with the 'Tiger army' when playing.

Over the years the saturation coverage of TW has driven me crazy. I'd much rather watch golf played than TW waiting to hit a shot or walking up the fairway. It sounds like today's coverage was a better in this regard. If the only golfer TV viewers see is TW it's no wonder he's the only one they follow.

• Like 3

:ping-small:  G400 SFT Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

No chance

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Maybe, maybe not....

Gonna be fun summer to watch the drama

Rick

Left Hand, 

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

Great chance. I am picking him for The Masters and The Open.

I'd take those bets! I seriously doubt he will even be in contention in any of the majors.

He's a very old 42, and as much talent as he once had and still can show flashes of, I'm afraid his body will give out.

That being said, my wife has only been into golf for about 4 years and she got quite a thrill watching today.

• Like 2

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

If the only golfer TV viewers see is TW it's no wonder he's the only one they follow. 

But, Tiger isn't the only one they see. He's only been back for three tournaments. What about the year+ he hasn't been on TV playing? Who have the viewers been seeing/watching?

Tiger IS golf for the vast majority of people watching. Tiger IS why golf is so popular. Tiger IS why the players get paid like they do. Tiger IS why so many people have taken up the game. Tiger IS golf!.... just like Jack and Arnie were in their day.

I just don't get the hate/dislike for a guy that IS the game.

• Like 5

But, Tiger isn't the only one they see. He's only been back for three tournaments. What about the year+ he hasn't been on TV playing? Who have the viewers been seeing/watching?

Tiger IS golf for the vast majority of people watching. Tiger IS why golf is so popular. Tiger IS why the players get paid like they do. Tiger IS why so many people have taken up the game. Tiger IS golf!.... just like Jack and Arnie were in their day.

It's like hating MJ.... just ain't right.

• Like 1

Eldrick has essentially been gone from the game for about 5 years, his main presence has been in the tabloids.

Seems that the game was doing just fine without him.

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

I disagree a bit that TW is the reason players make as much now. He is certainly a factor, but at the same time golf money increased dramatically, all other major sports did as well. Have a look at NFL, NBA, MLB money from the start of the Tiger era to now. Cricketers now make huge money, in a game that most of the world doesn't ever look at.

For whatever reason, Tiger raises somewhat irrational responses from both those who love him and those who hate him. Personally I'm not one to hero worship someone just because they are exceptional at what they do.

Has he been good for the game? Undoubtedly. Has the hype been sometimes detrimental to the game? I would have to say yes.

• Like 3

:ping-small:  G400 SFT Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Boy that was fun to watch yesterday. Seeing Tiger in the hunt, playing well and pain free and seemingly enjoying every, moment of it, made for a great day of golf viewing, when I normally would have been tuned into college hoops.

Count me among the many that said a year ago, “he's done, he'll never play another meaningful round of golf. I know playing well in two regular Tour events is a long way from doing so in a Major, but he did finish what 4th at the Masters two or three years ago, before he was this healthy. If Couples can compete there all the way into his 50's with a bad back, then I give Tiger better odds than not on doing so.

Can't wait to see what unfolds!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Actually I thought the TV coverage was very good. We saw all of Casey's shots once he was in contention. We really saw what we needed to see from everybody.

I have gone to that tournament a dozen times. Attendance for the week was nearly double the norm, on a week when we hosted a Grand Prix, with the Lightening playing a home matinee game on Saturday and Spring Training game's on every street corner.

Tiger is welcome to come anytime he would like!

On the other hand to say that he IS golf is hyperbolic. The game existed before him, it existed without him and it will continue to exist after him. He moves the needle and his persona does transcend the sport so that he draws other fans in both live and on TV. That's great for everyone.

I would think that if he can stay healthy Tiger will contend in a Major or multiple Majors this year. Winning is always hard to say, harder now because he hasn't won anything in a long time. The Majors will be hard pressed to have a leader board as strong as the one that Valspar had going into the back nine.

I'm anxious to see how JT does with a Tiger gallery... That will be must see TV

• Like 6

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds.