Jhigdon13

Evnroll Putters

Our Sponsors

When you look at someone like Tiger's magical putter, yes, he hits it in the same spot time after time. There's a sense of consistency when that ball leaves the putter face and he knows exactly the distance it will travel and the initial line the ball will take. He also putts on some of the best surfaces in the world. 

Last I checked, there's not a PGA or mini-tour guy on this board. We are weekend warriors that play on public/semi-public/private courses that are no where near the quality you see on TV. Most of the members on any golf site can't break 80. Heck, a good majority can't break 90. With that being said, grooves have been proven to be beneficial on various tests performed by this site. Last I checked, the ONLY time a non-grooved putter won the most wanted was back in the 2015 blade putter category with the Carbon Ringo. In fact, a non-grooved Scottys and Bettinardis rarely finish in the top 5. The FIT Betti has provided decent results and every now and then a SC mallet will perform near the top, but neither have won. If you want consistent roll from you putter and you're not on TV or put on carpet for greens, then grooves are going to work in your favor. Give it a shot on the course, not a turf practice area at your local golf shop. 

• Like 4

I have a black ER5.  Love it.  

Has anyone filled in the alignment holes with white paint?  In certain light, I can't really see them.  Just looking for where to get and how to paint the holes? 

I got to try the 1.2 blade in the store the other day.  Felt really nice off the face and did seem to roll better on mishits.  I didn't like the finish though, something about the shape was off to me.  I'll have to wait until I can see one in the black finish until I can see if it will be worth seeing if the Scotty gets kicked out of the bag.

• Like 2

I've tried EVNROLL putters every store I see them and have intentionally hit the ball off the toe, heel and center.  My understanding is that the ball should get the same amount of roll... but I must be missing something.  

I wish there was a way to rent/demo one for a round or two.  I'm sure it must be much different on course.  

• Like 1

I've tried EVNROLL putters every store I see them and have intentionally hit the ball off the toe, heel and center.  My understanding is that the ball should get the same amount of roll... but I must be missing something.  
I wish there was a way to rent/demo one for a round or two.  I'm sure it must be much different on course.  

What are you missing? I am guessing you aren’t seeing that effect when you roll a putt. My question would be how did you control the clubs speed to ensure everything was the same for the various strikes.

I saw a ping video That I can’t find anymore that showed the ball speed numbers for their face and confirmed it worked. Since there is less face in the center, you get less energy transferred to the ball thus less distance. As move away from the center there is more face thus faster ball speeds. This makes ball speed more consistent across the face. If you go to toe and heel extremes you are probably out of luck due to twisting of the face.

I find that the effect is the same indoors and outdoors and has nothing to do with grass vs. fake turf.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

I found the milling to be too aggressive on the course, it seemed like I needed to hit the ball harder than most insert putters on long lag putts (50'+). I do play courses with slow to average speed greens, so that likely didn't help. But the main advantage of milled putters is more consistent and firmer feel than inserts which I found lacking. I did limited testing with a Cleveland HB SOFT and preferred the firmer feel of that head/milling pattern. 

I believe the grooves provide more lift on the ball as well, the putters come stock with 1 or 2 degrees of loft. I had the loft adjusted up to match most other putters in the 3-4 degree range and the ball appeared to be bouncing off the face and distance control became a challenge. It was a hard decision to sell the only putter I made eagle with but I never felt truly comfortable (didn't like the alignment line and dots) with it and the Shot Scope stats didn't support it. 

I have tried evnroll putters. I am most interested in the gravity grip and want to just try that on my current putter. 

1 hour ago, Quigleyd said:

I have tried evnroll putters. I am most interested in the gravity grip and want to just try that on my current putter. 

You can buy a non Evnroll branded gravity grip. Gravity Grip is actually its own brand and you can buy one at golf galaxy or online 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 3:32 PM, BMart519 said:

I found the milling to be too aggressive on the course, it seemed like I needed to hit the ball harder than most insert putters on long lag putts (50'+). I do play courses with slow to average speed greens, so that likely didn't help. But the main advantage of milled putters is more consistent and firmer feel than inserts which I found lacking. I did limited testing with a Cleveland HB SOFT and preferred the firmer feel of that head/milling pattern. 

I believe the grooves provide more lift on the ball as well, the putters come stock with 1 or 2 degrees of loft. I had the loft adjusted up to match most other putters in the 3-4 degree range and the ball appeared to be bouncing off the face and distance control became a challenge. It was a hard decision to sell the only putter I made eagle with but I never felt truly comfortable (didn't like the alignment line and dots) with it and the Shot Scope stats didn't support it. 

You definitely need to hit the ball harder with the Evnroll vs. a standard mill putter. I can even notice the difference on my 10 foot indoor putting mat. 

Interesting, I've had the exact opposite effect. I feel like my ER2, definitely firmer feeling than my Spider X, goes further with the same amount of input from me.

How heavy are your other putters? I've read that the heavier it is, and the higher the swingweight, the more you will struggle with distance control on long putts. Maybe that's it? I think Evnroll builds their putters to higher than average swingweights too?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yungkory said:

Interesting, I've had the exact opposite effect. I feel like my ER2, definitely firmer feeling than my Spider X, goes further with the same amount of input from me.

How heavy are your other putters? I've read that the heavier it is, and the higher the swingweight, the more you will struggle with distance control on long putts. Maybe that's it? I think Evnroll builds their putters to higher than average swingweights too?

My Evnroll is 385 grams at 32". My Scott Squareback 1 is 395 grams at 32". I also have a Bettinardi at 33" that is around 355 grams. 

15 hours ago, yungkory said:

The TM face has thin louvres cut on 45 degree angles which I believe are aluminum. At one point I believe they had some plastic or rubber between the grooves, but I'm not sure if that is still used. Either way, I would liken them to other insert putters which are inherently softer than milled. I have an older TM White Smoke putter with a Pure Roll insert and agree the EVNROLL is likely firmer. I prefer lighter putters and the 385g head in my EVNROLL was probably not helping the feel either. But that was the heaviest head I ever used, so didn't really notice the difference until testing on-course. 

8 hours ago, Middler said:

*** Test ***

Looks like the Test landed right in the middle 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have er 1.2 with the stability shaft.    It is the best blade I have used.  I do not find that I have to hit it further.   Not sure if its is the grooves or not, but last season I definitely made more putts with it

Another ER5 user here .. seems to be working well for me!

Someone mentioned "balanced" earlier and that was the exact word that hit me when I went into a store to try it out.

Very happy with its overall performance. 

I'll be putting an ER2B through a pressure test soon to see if it beats out my Newport for a spot in my bag.  I got to the PGASS before everything shut down and had some really good putts with one.  I made the last 4 out of 5 putts from a decent distance.  Not sure if that was the tech keeping it on line or if I just got in a groove... we shall see! 

• Like 1

Last time I was on the course, I put the Evnroll ER 10 Outback back in the bag and it performed well, so it is staying in the bag. Distance control was good, just barely missed a few long putts. 

• Like 2

I owned a ER2 twice! Loved everything about the looks  but I just couldn't putt with it. I never could seem to hit it hard enough to get the ball to the hole. 

12 hours ago, braincramp said:

I owned a ER2 twice! Loved everything about the looks  but I just couldn't putt with it. I never could seem to hit it hard enough to get the ball to the hole. 

That is one of the "tradeoffs" with grooves in the face especially EvnRoll.   Less material to contact the ball so lower ball speeds off the face.