Jump to content

MGS Golf Ball Test


Golf Ball Test Results...Pre-Reveal  

56 members have voted

  1. 1. Which brand do you think performs the best in MGS Golf Ball Test to be revealed Monday? (I have no idea what balls are being tested but this is my best bet)

    • Bridgestone (e6, e12, Tour B X, Tour B XS, Tour B RX)
      11
    • Callaway (Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X, ERC Soft)
      1
    • Cut (Red, Green, Blue, Black, Brown, Mauve, Burgundy, Candy Apple, Cyan, Golden Rod)
      0
    • Maxfli (Tour, Tour x)
      0
    • Mizuno (RB Tour, RB Tour X)
      0
    • Snell (MTB Red, MTB Black, MTB X)
      11
    • Srixon (Q Star, Z Star, Z Star XV, LGBTQ Star)
      4
    • TaylorMade (TP5, TP5x, Project (a), Project (s))
      8
    • Titleist (Pro V1, Pro V1x, AVX, Tour Soft, Velocity, DT TruSoft)
      15
    • Vice (Drive, Pro, Pro Plus, Pro Soft)
      5
    • Volvik (I don't even know if they're in the test)
      0
    • Wilson (DUO Soft, DUO U, FG Tour)
      0
    • Other
      1

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/29/2019 at 10:00 PM

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

35 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I agree completely, the distance gain is great but not at the expense of accuracy.  But I haven't experienced anything resembling inaccuracy so far.

MTB-X is $32.99 for a single dozen but the price drops if you buy in bulk up to 5 dozen.  Five dozen are $27.99 per.

Yeah you can't beat that price.

I suppose one way to tell the performance quality of a ball is to see how many Pro Tour players around the globe are playing it. Of course with the exception of Callaway who lies about the tour players playing the same balls as we can buy. Obviously Titleist is #1, but from what I've read and from my own experience the ProV1/x scuff up easily, who's #2-not Callaway, Srixon has a lot Pro Tour players around the globe playing both the Zstar and the zstar XV, Bridgestone only has a handful of players that's it, TM from what I see is only a handful or two, of course a lot of them are in the top 10 ranking for the PGA. Did I forget anyone worth mentioning?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't know if many of you follow Tony (@GolfSpyT) on twitter but he's been blowing it up with the golf ball test. Needless to say, this test is going to really help in golf ball selection and prove

I’m glad I traveled to Dallas today. If my wife knew I spent the day looking at balls, reading about balls and talking to dudes about balls she’d leave me. Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

A few more #finditxrayit Titleist Pro V1 Callaway Chrome Soft   Titleist Velocity Wilson Duo Soft Titleist Pro V1X   Found m

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, txgolfjunkie said:

 

Hard to have those shots into the green when the tee shot goes wayward. The Z Star was a little offline but it had one of the smallest shot areas and offline standard deviations off the driver and 7 iron...meaning it's consistent. The XV on the other hand... was not nearly as consistent, especially off the driver and that's what leads you back to my first sentence...

Yes the Z Star 7i does show it's very consistent, just offline. And true about the Z StarXV, but it doesn't seem to add up when you look at all 3 speeds, fast is -12.5, mid is -5.2 and slow is +2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WalterS said:

Yeah you can't beat that price.

I suppose one way to tell the performance quality of a ball is to see how many Pro Tour players around the globe are playing it. Of course with the exception of Callaway who lies about the tour players playing the same balls as we can buy. Obviously Titleist is #1, but from what I've read and from my own experience the ProV1/x scuff up easily, who's #2-not Callaway, Srixon has a lot Pro Tour players around the globe playing both the Zstar and the zstar XV, Bridgestone only has a handful of players that's it, TM from what I see is only a handful or two, of course a lot of them are in the top 10 ranking for the PGA. Did I forget anyone worth mentioning?  

Everyone under contract to Tm for full bag plays the TP5/x, until Rickie’s current contract they didn’t offer any ball contracts to players do their pool is going to be small. 

I don’t know about Srixon and what they have on conforming list but most of the ball companies have balls that are not at retail for their tour players and in some cases players use an older version of a ball. Stacy Lewis played the 2009 prov until about 4 years ago when titleist told her they weren’t going to produce it anymore. She then switched to Bridgestone 

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m still torn on just playing the 4 dozen TP5X I have, or sell them on eBay and buy Pro V1X, or something else.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Everyone under contract to Tm for full bag plays the TP5/x, until Rickie’s current contract they didn’t offer any ball contracts to players do their pool is going to be small. 

I don’t know about Srixon and what they have on conforming list but most of the ball companies have balls that are not at retail for their tour players and in some cases players use an older version of a ball. Stacy Lewis played the 2009 prov until about 4 years ago when titleist told her they weren’t going to produce it anymore. She then switched to Bridgestone 

interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am currently playing the TP5X. When I lose them all I will probably go back the the ProV1X. The TP5X is a perfectly fine ball. I have just played with the Pro V for so long that I know what expect from it from tee to green. If I stay/ed with the TM ball, I'm sure I would get to that same point,  but I'm just comfortable with the Pro V.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sixcat said:

Srixon balls are $40 a dozen almost everywhere in the US.  Again, it may be shortsighted on my part but I buy virtually everything golf related through the shop at my club.  I haven't stepped foot inside a Dick's, Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore in a very long time. So, I don't know about a "buy 3 get 1 free" deal from Srixon.  Titleist does that every spring because my club participates. 

Ordering the MTB-X's in bulk (5 dozen) the per-unit price comes down to $28 per dozen.  If I don't see anything in terms of wild ball flights or irregularities, I will most likely order 5 dozen at that price.

Truly just an FYI.  If you can search for a Srixon ball fitting in your area --by searching on the Srixon site--they usually sell all balls at 50% off at those events.  So s dozen Z Stars are $20 and Qstars $10.  

Our course hosts two or three of them a year. 

  • Like 1

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, z1ggy16 said:

Would you be so kind as to maybe post a close up view of the dimples, and it would be really cool to see that right next to a ProV1X and also a CSX if possible.

1059105841_Snell1.jpg.81e6ece42808175fc6b1e5a0b7200040.jpg898724480_Snell2.jpg.828d87b46a1bec299f7c25ea0f3cfc84.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:22 PM, Popeye64 said:

The only club I seem to struggle with in true distance these days is the driver. I just cant get to a par 5 in 2 anymore and though it's not really putting stress on my game,, like everyone I'm still trying to score as well as I can.
I dont hit a towering drive, more of a screaming lower line drive that if its spinning too much has no roll out and even worse when it s wet goes no where. Playing with two other very low HP players last week on every hole I was a good 20 + yards behind them and the difference in club head speed is not that great that would cause that much of a distance gap by any means.
The Tour B X was spinning at 2129 and the XS was at 2367 or a 239 rpm difference. The X was also 5 yards further on average. It may seem like a trivial amount but if the Tour B X plays for me like the XS does for every other part of my game why wouldnt I want a few more yards in the one part of my game that is challenged right now.
Yes I know it's more driver technique than anything but it's what I have in the arsenal for now.
I need to get into a club fitting shop and find a lower spinning driver combo soon so it might be a moot point. The Tour B XS checks off every box for me other than the long ball.

I get home in another week so I could send you a few XS if you want to try them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
 

I have the BXS..just picked up a dozen. Its a very soft feeling ball to me...maybe too much.....a few driver shots I hit ballooned just a bit so id really like to see if the BX works better for me or the new TP5......im not sure I love the larger dimples either but on iron shots it flew great. Not disappointed, but I would like to try the BX at some point

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Enjoyed a day of crisp ball-striking yesterday afternoon.  Too bad it was cut short by a passing thunderstorm.  Still loving the MTB-X and seeing absolutely no evidence of irregularities.  I think the distance of the ball has been well established.  I am equally as impressed with the green-side spin and control as well as the bite the ball gets on full shots into the green from inside 150 yards.  

That "full" feeling I keep mentioning is something I am continuing to really like a lot.  To borrow a phrase from the immortal Roy McAvoy, "A tuning fork goes off in your heart, your balls....such a pure feeling is the well-struck golf shot!"

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Going to compare the Oncore Elixir, Vice Pro, and Tour B RX tomorrow during my round.  Won't be able to test extensively, but I do plan to hit some comparative shots to see how they perform.  I've been playing the Vice Pro the last few rounds and really like it, and I've played the Tour B RX for the last year.

Thus far, I've only had a change to hit the Elixir indoors and it definitely feels softer than Vice Pro and RX, and I've also noticed that it runs out a little more on putts.  How it performs on the course may be a completely different game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see MGS is looking for testers for the Z Star and Z Star XV, each tester is given 1dz of each to test. Only for USA I'm in Canada so I don't qualify, damn.

I talked with a Srixon rep in their USA head office and he assured me the retail balls (Z Star and Z Star XV) are the exact same as the Tour Pros use. So no Callaway tricks here with Srixon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, WalterS said:

I see MGS is looking for testers for the Z Star and Z Star XV, each tester is given 1dz of each to test. Only for USA I'm in Canada so I don't qualify, damn.

I talked with a Srixon rep in their USA head office and he assured me the retail balls (Z Star and Z Star XV) are the exact same as the Tour Pros use. So no Callaway tricks here with Srixon.

While I don’t like the way Callaway approaches their marketing and making it seem like the pros are playing the retail versions of clubs (see usga confirming list for several diamonds epic flashes) and balls and as mentioned earlier it’s not really a trick.  touched on it also in the ball guide that companies have some your only menus for balls. 

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

While I don’t like the way Callaway approaches their marketing and making it seem like the pros are playing the retail versions of clubs (see usga confirming list for several diamonds epic flashes) and balls and as mentioned earlier it’s not really a trick.  touched on it also in the ball guide that companies have some your only menus for balls. 

 

... I don't mind clubs because any educated golfer knows the Pro's clubs are different than ours, even if it is only hot melted to enhance ball flight. But I think many assumed the Pro's play the same ball as available at retail. I think Callaway was more deceptive than others when it came to their golf balls. I have some Chrome Soft "Tour Only" balls I bought from MG Golf and the compression as well as green side spin is night and day different than the retail version. 


1059596323_CCSBalls.jpg.b4bad6b164abd17d3060c678ab2c3ec1.jpg

  • Like 2

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, chisag said:

 

... I don't mind clubs because any educated golfer knows the Pro's clubs are different than ours, even if it is only hot melted to enhance ball flight. But I think many assumed the Pro's play the same ball as available at retail. I think Callaway was more deceptive than others when it came to their golf balls. I have some Chrome Soft "Tour Only" balls I bought from MG Golf and the compression as well as green side spin is night and day different than the retail version. 


1059596323_CCSBalls.jpg.b4bad6b164abd17d3060c678ab2c3ec1.jpg

Agree and imo Callaway’s approach is not as forthcoming as other brands. I’m not a fan of their marketing approach for all their products and they want to be the cool brand and focus is more on sales (expected from any company in the business of making money) than it is on performance. They like the use the big words and everything is innovative.

they have a video on they YouTube channel about the elitist guy and use titleist ball to portray him. Not the smartest guy in the room and couldn’t figure out the purpose of the video other than to take a shot at titleist after the mgs ball guide. They are all about their wars. 5 year war, ballwar and so on

  • Like 1

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sixcat said:

1059105841_Snell1.jpg.81e6ece42808175fc6b1e5a0b7200040.jpg898724480_Snell2.jpg.828d87b46a1bec299f7c25ea0f3cfc84.jpg

Interesting... It almost looks like a mix between ProV and Chrome Soft dimples. One thing though... don't proV have varying dimples every so often? These look all very similar in size except I  notice every so often there's a small bit of random space between a cluster of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I played the recommended ball from the spreadsheet today, and It seems to be pretty good. it’s a bit softer feeling off the driver, but for irons, short game, and putting it has very good feel to it. I’ll play it for a while and see if that changes. 

  • Like 3

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I played the recommended ball from the spreadsheet today, and It seems to be pretty good. it’s a bit softer feeling off the driver, but for irons, short game, and putting it has very good feel to it. I’ll play it for a while and see if that changes. 

And what ball was that?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a couple of sleeves of ZStar and played one yesterday. Not sure I like it any better than the Q Star Tour. 95-100mph swing speed. QStar seems straighter. More experimentation to follow.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

------------------------------

Driver:  :cleveland-small: Classics XL 10.5 - Miyazaki Tour Issue 6 S-flex

Fairway:srixon-small: f65 15* - Miyazaki Kaula Mizo 5 R-flex

Hybrid:Hogan: 18* - Proforce V2 Stff

Irons:Hogan: PTxPro 4-PW - UST Mamiya Recoil 780 F4

Wedges:Hogan: Equalizer 50 Recoil F4, 56 and 60 with KBS Tour 90 Stiff

Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red Sightline - double-bend black steel 34"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...