Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Questions for Wilson Golf?

Spies:

This is last minute (as in, T-minus 11.5 hours), but if you have any questions that you would like me to ask the people at Wilson Golf, please post them in this thread. I will be headed to their Innovation Center tomorrow for a tour and fitting with a full report to follow.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I love Wilson/Staff Irons, and play Ci7s now a days, but I'm a little bit concerned about lofts. Really, it sounds stupid since I know every brand is using smaller lofts these days to say their irons are "longer", but I would really like to know why they had gone so far (the D9-D11 are ridiculous, they use an approach and a gap wedge between the PW and SW!!!!), and if there is any possibility new irons coming in the next years will come down in their lofts to make it easier to adapt a 52-56-60 wedge configuration.

If that's not the case, is it possible to order "delofted" irons from them on a custom order?

Thanks mate...

With the reinvention of the 88 series putter line, is there any intention on releasing a classic retro styled anniversary edition of the 8802 classic that has the smooth face, exactly as tall as a nickel face height, and a headspeed shaft? I'd think an anniversary edition would sell like hotcakes and it'd be something the 8802 lovers would pick up to collect and/or game. I know several retro guys that still buy original 8802's to restore because of the affinity for the model.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I have an R90 wedge from the mid 80's.....are the new R90's comparable?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I've been playing the Di line for a few years. My question would be why does Wilson make it so difficult to find their products? I know they are trying to differentiate themselves from the other manufacturers but it's not always easy to find any of the better equipment.

I'm playing the W/S FG TOUR irons, Wedges and ball and a KC1 putter.

Any plans to offer a more customizable Driver in the future?

An old School Full brim visor with the W/S logo would be great as well.

Not so much a question but desire to see the European line of Wilson Staff clothing available through your website.

I understand that a commitment to full line stores is probably not a money maker at this point, but I suspect if you offered your European line through your online presence you'd get a great response. The underlayers, FG rainsuit etc are great looking...Just a vote to make them available in the U.S. or give a location in Europe that would ship them here...

Why don't they use a different brand to sell their cheaper lines?  I think it really hurts their image when they sell their complete sets using the same branding as their top lines.  Maybe they should do something similar to Callaway where it has top-flite.

What would be the best way to prepare for a fitting session? Should you be hitting as much as possible before a fitting or would they recommend something else?

Are there things that most golfers don't usually bother to take notice or look for that can actually help a fitter during a fitting?

What are their thoughts on equipment used in the fitting? Other than Trackman, what other options are comparable?

I find hitting indoors to a net, does not give enough feedback. In the range I could adjust my swing to get it to a state where I'm happier (sometimes). If the fitting is done indoors, how do you get to your "ideal" swing before the actual fitting starts? Is it just better to go to a fitting that can be done outdoors?

I've been playing the Di line for a few years. My question would be why does Wilson make it so difficult to find their products? I know they are trying to differentiate themselves from the other manufacturers but it's not always easy to find any of the better equipment.

In regards to getting Wilson products I work for a major sporting goods company and we do not,I feel get a good representation from Wilson!! Too bad because we could really sell the procuct line!! Frustrating becaus the name Wilson does stand the test of time!!

Spies:

This is last minute (as in, T-minus 11.5 hours), but if you have any questions that you would like me to ask the people at Wilson Golf, please post them in this thread. I will be headed to their Innovation Center tomorrow for a tour and fitting with a full report to follow.

I am curious to know,since Wilson Staffs resurgence into the market starting several years ago, what there market share is at now compared to 5 years ago.

I have been playing the Ci7 Irons since reading about them in the annual Golf Mag. Hot list. They have been great, they are a bit strong and go a bit farther than the traditional lofts, but easy to get used to. The specs are all posted on the Wison Staff Website. I have developed a friendship with the Wilson Rep. and as a PGA pro have just got a set of the new FG62 forged Irons and they are terrific. They are a bit weaker in lofts than the Ci7, but are beautiful and very easy to hit, even for a 72 yr. old former player. I just played my 5th round with them today and they have brought the "old days" back with a vengeance.

I have also been playing the new Tour Ball and find it longer, better feeling, and a better ball than my previous balls, the ProV and the Penta. In my opinion Wilson is bringing back the "old days" and as more and more people start playing Wilson they will gain back the respect they had in the past.

They truly are doing good things and making great product. They offer something for everyone, clubs, balls, and even gloves are great.

Why "Uniflex" shafts? Why not more custom options?

COBRA KING LTD Matrix Ozik HD6

ADAMS Super S 3w & 5w Matrix Radix HD S VI

CLEVELAND GlideRail 20.5* Kuro Kage 80i

CALLAWAY Apex Forged 5-PW UST Recoil 680

INNOVEX Type S GDT 50* & 54* Kuro Kage 80i

ODYSSEY Tri-ball SRT 34"

Wilson should have purchased MacGregor when they were up for sale. That would have been cool! The two best (and iconic) brands from the 1970s coming together as one for current day players. Alas, this is not to be. However, what plans are on the drawing board to get Wilson Staff back to the prominent position they enjoyed in their heyday? Do they want to be as big as successful as the big kids on the block (like Callaway and Taylor Made)? Maybe they don't...

I still have two sets of FG49s (1 to SW). Beautiful clubs, but the 1 and 2 iron still look brand new as they never really got used for the simple reson that they were like butter knives!

I had to have the 3 and 5 iron shafts replaced because of breakage. The root cause of the breakage was because of the use of dissimilar metals. When the heads are fixed to the shafts, to make up the swing weight, Wilson used copper powder mixed with some sort of adhesive to make it set at the end of the shaft. The powder is added or taken away to achieve the correct swing weight at the grip end before the grip is fitted.

The problem was that an extra amount of more copper powder was needed to make up the swing weight so it exceeded the level of the hosel and came a little way up the inside of the actual shaft. The was a reaction over time between the copper and the steel of the shaft caused the shaft to weaken at that point.

I can well believe this because I have an engineering background and have studied the basics in metalurgy.

When the shafts were replaced, to avoid this happening again, instead of copper powder, lead tape was applied to the back of the club head to make up the swing weight. This is not very pretty as you may agree!

Ask them about this because I think it is important and please get back to me on this thread with their answer because I would be very interested!

Why don't they use a different brand to sell their cheaper lines?  I think it really hurts their image when they sell their complete sets using the same branding as their top lines.  Maybe they should do something similar to Callaway where it has top-flite.

They do offer the cheaper line for sale not in Pro Shops and sporting goods stores called Wilson Harmonized. The Staff is the top Dog and my course just opened an acct. to carry the Staff Clubs, balls, hats, and whatever.

They do offer the cheaper line for sale not in Pro Shops and sporting goods stores called Wilson Harmonized. The Staff is the top Dog and my course just opened an acct. to carry the Staff Clubs, balls, hats, and whatever.

They should do away with "Wilson" all together for their lower end stuff. I guess that's what I meant to say.

You should send them an email about that.

I was shocked when I got my 62s, and the response of people at the course. These things are really nice, and very easy to hit.

Also there are a lot of questions on here about lofts and shafts and other options. It is ALL on the website. Wilson Staff. com Try em you might like em, something for everyone actually.

Archived