Shortened my driver

Our Sponsors

25 minutes ago, MattF said:

Thank you sir, that gives me a starting point. I play Pure grips, so getting a lighter one is out of the equation...I'm a bit OCD about having things match. So, the most I can get is 12 grams of added weight into the head. Looks like I'll be experimenting.

... Knowledge is power and ignorance is bliss, especially when it comes to golf swings and equipment. I have always been meticulous about club specs going back to Flo and Spine when installing new shafts when QC mandated it. So I have 2 stories for you: 

I always played my driver at D1 after finding that weight worked best for my swing. 2 years ago in Phoenix for the winter I did not have access to my workshop and about a month before coming home I picked up a new shaft to try in my F8. I installed it and it felt a hair heavy but I took it to the course and hit it very well. I continued to hit it well for the remainder of my time there. I came home and curious as to the swing weight, I measured it and was surprised to find it was D7!?! That is just way heavier than I have ever played. Took it out for my first round back in Chicago and it felt like a sledgehammer. Same driver I played well with in Phoenix that was a hair heavy was now too heavy and unplayable. Nothing changed but my knowledge of the specs. 

Long story short, some remember Fred Couples taking a thru bore Ram 3 wood from Tom Watsons trunk and playing it in some tournaments and just killing it. Talking to a reporter after a round he stated it was the best 3 wood he ever owned. Watson heard that and next time he saw Freddie said he was surprised he was hitting an R Flex shaft so well. Freddie thought it was an X flex and after that sprayed it all over the course, they re-shafted it but never found the magic again. Nothing changed but his knowledge of the specs.

... So experiment away and if you find something that works DO NOT check your specs. 🤣

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

... Knowledge is power and ignorance is bliss, especially when it comes to golf swings and equipment. I have always been meticulous about club specs going back to Flo and Spine when installing new sha

... Welcome to the club fellas! I hope you guys stick with this for a good amount of time and as I am sure you know, you should be hitting the center more often. Hitting the center trumps 1.5" extra i

Yes.  think of the superspeed sticks.  You can swing the lighter sticks faster than the heavier sticks.     But there is a tradeoff between speed and mass.   If you lower the mass too much,  you lose

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Knowledge is power and ignorance is bliss, especially when it comes to golf swings and equipment. I have always been meticulous about club specs going back to Flo and Spine when installing new shafts when QC mandated it. So I have 2 stories for you: 

I always played my driver at D1 after finding that weight worked best for my swing. 2 years ago in Phoenix for the winter I did not have access to my workshop and about a month before coming home I picked up a new shaft to try in my F8. I installed it and it felt a hair heavy but I took it to the course and hit it very well. I continued to hit it well for the remainder of my time there. I came home and curious as to the swing weight, I measured it and was surprised to find it was D7!?! That is just way heavier than I have ever played. Took it out for my first round back in Chicago and it felt like a sledgehammer. Same driver I played well with in Phoenix that was a hair heavy was now too heavy and unplayable. Nothing changed but my knowledge of the specs. 

Long story short, some remember Fred Couples taking a thru bore Ram 3 wood from Tom Watsons trunk and playing it in some tournaments and just killing it. Talking to a reporter after a round he stated it was the best 3 wood he ever owned. Watson heard that and next time he saw Freddie said he was surprised he was hitting an R Flex shaft so well. Freddie thought it was an X flex and after that sprayed it all over the course, they re-shafted it but never found the magic again. Nothing changed but his knowledge of the specs.

... So experiment away and if you find something that works DO NOT check your specs. 🤣

It's Schrodinger's golf club - we can't play the club without knowing the specs, but once we know the specs, we can't play it.

• Like 4

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

It's Schrodinger's golf club - we can't play the club without knowing the specs, but once we know the specs, we can't play it.

The thing is I understand it and I didn’t have to ask SWMBO

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 12/17/2019 at 2:55 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Working on an experiment with this right now. I'm going to be building up a shorter shaft for my Rogue, so I went to eBay and ordered some Chinese knock-off weight screws. (I view these as pretty low risk; if they fit and they have weight, I'm good.) I don't have a swingweight scale, but I'm planning to use something like this website to give me an approximation based on the overall weight and the balance point.

You say low risk, but I put one of these in, and the screw stripped when I went to remove it (first use), so have a degree of wariness/care when taking it in/out. Made me a little nervous drilling a slot in it to remove with a standard screwdriver (power drills in delicate places is a large part of my job as a neurosurgeon as well!)

IMG_2335 (1).jpg

• Like 5

Driver: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Proto X 9° - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6S

Fairways: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg0341X Gen 2 13° - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6S; 0341X Gen 2 15° - VA Drago 65 S

1&2 iron: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311X - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 X (1) S (2)

Hybrid: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0317X Gen 2 19° - Accra Tour Z Xtreme Hybrid M4

Irons:  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311X Gen 1 4; 0311T Gen 2 4-PW - Oban CT115 S

Wedges:th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Sugar Daddy Gen 2 - 50°, 54°, 58°- Oban CT 115 S; KBS Hi-rev 2.0

Putter:  1500419358_LABlogo-horizontal-black.png.141fcb5fd7603f7f248f3821f51a6797.png  Directed Force 2.1 35" with lagp.png.7ad0cf3ac148827f3723a9f69a948244.png 135 shaft

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 Pix

On 1/16/2020 at 6:31 PM, Tsecor said:

swing weight is over rated if you play to a higher hdcp. Its nothing you should worry about unless you are properly fitted for a club. 

Slightly disagree with this. Some people just feel the difference very acutely, others don't - I think it's a brain thing rather than a golf skill thing. I feel small changes very clearly for whatever reason, and I'm by no means a skilled golfer. Though that may be a factor of having been fit properly and know what it feels like when it's "just right", so becomes pretty obvious when it isn't.

• Like 4

Driver: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Proto X 9° - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6S

Fairways: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg0341X Gen 2 13° - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6S; 0341X Gen 2 15° - VA Drago 65 S

1&2 iron: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311X - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 X (1) S (2)

Hybrid: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0317X Gen 2 19° - Accra Tour Z Xtreme Hybrid M4

Irons:  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311X Gen 1 4; 0311T Gen 2 4-PW - Oban CT115 S

Wedges:th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Sugar Daddy Gen 2 - 50°, 54°, 58°- Oban CT 115 S; KBS Hi-rev 2.0

Putter:  1500419358_LABlogo-horizontal-black.png.141fcb5fd7603f7f248f3821f51a6797.png  Directed Force 2.1 35" with lagp.png.7ad0cf3ac148827f3723a9f69a948244.png 135 shaft

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 Pix

2 hours ago, seancgmartin said:

Slightly disagree with this. Some people just feel the difference very acutely, others don't - I think it's a brain thing rather than a golf skill thing. I feel small changes very clearly for whatever reason, and I'm by no means a skilled golfer. Though that may be a factor of having been fit properly and know what it feels like when it's "just right", so becomes pretty obvious when it isn't.

agree for the most part. My point being high HDCP players will adjust in a matter of minutes to a club with different swing weight. They really do not know what to look for so to me its over rated on many levels. 

• Like 1