Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Club fitting

1 hour ago, Kingofturtles said:

Is it possible to fit irons and a driver in 30 mins? I got 30 mins with Calloway and 30 with ping this weekend. I'd like to get fitted for irons and driver but I am debating just doing driver for Calloway and irons for ping, as I doubt 30 mins will be enough time to be fitted for both. 

Possible?  Yes.   

It will depend on how many options you want to try and how in depth of a fitting is being done.   My guess is that your warmup will be watched and you will be given a head based on how you hit the ball and then try a few stock shaft options.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It could, would it be the best fitting out there, probably not, will it be better than off the rack stuff? without a doubt.

Both companies have only have a few driver out there with a few shaft. If you can rush it and be stable when you hit, it could be very fast honestly. Ping have G425 max, LS and SFT, if you are straight, LS and max will be chosen, if you spin too much the max they will give you the LS. As for shaft, Alta for high launch, tensei orange for mid launch, rogue white if you prefer heavier shaft.. ping tour for low launch, that's pretty much how it went for a friend of mine when he tried it... It took around 15 min or so to be dialed in for the driver, the fitter took the last 45 min to sell him a full set of irons! He went out with new irons and not the driver...

Irons can be fast too, if you pretty much know which one you want then it's pretty much finding the right shaft with them. Again for ping, 

Game improvement iron are the G425, I525 are the player distance irons and the I59 are the blade...

ping have most standard shaft out there that can fit pretty much every kind of players...

High launch, modus pro 105, TT elevate ,dynamic gold 105,

mid launch is the ping awt 2.0, dynamic gold 120, kbs tour

low launch is the dynamic gold

Of course that's baseline, not everyone react the same way to a different shaft but those information will be used by the fitter to dial you in quickly.

if you hit steady, will be fast, if you have a lots of mishit or hit all over the place, the guy might struggle a little more

as for callaway they offer pretty much the same line up with different name and shaft but can't really help you out with the new line up from this year since I didn't really look into them cause they have yellow on them...(rogue Lineup) the apex are supposed to be VERY good irons if you are in the player's distance category

If you are in the game improvement category I would strongly advise you to spend some time with ping as they tend to be more forgiving... the Driver is a beast to not lose ball (why it finished first in the forgivness department at MGS), their irons are ranked among the most forgiving out there.

if you are in the player's distance Iron, I would for sure give a try to those apex from callaway, as for their driver, they are always good, you wouldnt go wrong with one of those...

P.S. I pretty much all have G425 in my bag

Selling point for my irons are that they could adjust the lie back at ping for 2 years, you just pay shipping cost... they also have a good resale value.

Was 2 upright after 15 years not playing golf, now im back into standard lie.

This year I tried for 3 hours all the driver out there... Longest one for me was the TSi3 from titleist, but I still took the Ping g425 max because of forgiveness. ( my miss with the ping are 15 yard from the center line normally as my miss with the titleist was a 30 yard slice) The ping LS was a little too low spin for me and was actually losing distance on 1/3rd of the shot with it. Cobra was actually surprisingly good, Callaway was ok, nothing good, nothing bad, the taylormade stealth was the longest one when I could actually hit it correctly which didnt happend very often.

Edited by Pouetvl11

The chances are not in your favor. The fitter would have to get things right within The first couple setups for both aspects. That doesn’t happen often.

Your best bet is to schedule two fittings or an hour session. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, Pouetvl11 said:

Both companies have only have a few driver out there with a few shaft. If you can rush it and be stable when you hit, it could be very fast honestly.

Callaway offers shafts from 12 brands, some have multiple no upcharge options. It’s also not just about the head but loft as well as tweaking via the adapter. At 3-5 swings with a combo of head and shaft and no tweaks is going to take close to 15 minutes just to figure what head and loft is best. The shaft tweaking and potential adapter setting changes could take another 15 mins.

With irons it could be swapping lie angle, shaft length and shaft. Even if as an example g425 is the head the op wants unless the fitter gets the shaft choice right on the first setup it’s not going to be fast. My last iron fitting even knowing what the head I wanted took 20 minutes with changing between 3 shafts

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Update. I was lucky and got an hour with both companies. Started with Callaway. Tried the apex and I didn't get much out of them. Was my fault though because my swing was garbage, of course I get the shanks during a fitting...

Tried the rogue max set up as a draw bias and hit pretty well. 

Tried g425 irons and absolutely amazed the ball. Tried g425 driver on neutral setting and smashed it as well. Pretty close to the rogue but maybe a bit better and a bit straighter (even though it was set to neutral and not draw bias)

Absolutely hate the way the 425 driver looks but think I'll out both the irons and the driver in my bag. Which is impressive because I went there wanting Callaway 

If you know the shaft & iron ahead of time, I can fit a customer in 15 minutes, but if we're starting from scratch, NO WAY! My iron fittings can take up to 2 hours. The fitting process is quick, but you need to choose which irons you like, which shaft works best, which grip to chose...it can't be done in 30 minutes.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

You don’t have enough time unless you are just trying stock shafts.  But, I am not sure why you pigeonhole yourself into just two brands.  A real fitting could find you a better iron and shaft combo then what you get rushing it.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX

35 minutes ago, Shinnman said:

You don’t have enough time unless you are just trying stock shafts.  But, I am not sure why you pigeonhole yourself into just two brands.  A real fitting could find you a better iron and shaft combo then what you get rushing it.

Ping and Callaway were the only ones available 

12 hours ago, Shinnman said:

Some people like particular brands and want to find the best fit within that brand.  People talk about brand agnostic fittings; which are great, but that single factor doesn’t make it any more or less of a “real” fitting.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It’s real, but it might not be the most ideal setup.  Should ignore the brand and get what works the best.  That was my point. 

Driver: Cobra Aerojet 9* Ventus Red 5S shaft

3W: Cobra Aerojet Max 

Cobra LTDx 3H-5H

7-PW Callaway Rogue ST Max Elevate 85 steel shafts

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX zipcore steel 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Tri-hot 5K Rossie

Ball:  Titleist ProV1 or AVX