Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Ping ChipR

null

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

So I spend two hours at the practice green yesterday with just the ChipR and my 8 iron.  Wanted to really test the "couldn't you just use your 8 or 9 iron" theory.  Here are my findings

Shots from the fairway/fringe:

In this scenario, the ChipR and 8 iron performed pretty similarly on well struck shots.  Despite being nearly the same loft as the 8 iron, the ChipR definitely launched a bit higher and even seemed to spin a bit more (perhaps just better contact).  On shots were strike wasn't as ideal (toe, bottom groove, etc), the ChipR outperformed the 8 iron pretty significantly.  

Shots from rough:

This is really where the ChipR shines.  It's upright lie angle, heavier swing weight and sole shape really a help here.  With the 8 iron, so much more speed is required to get it through thick greenside rough.  The ChipR's swing weight allows for a more fluid stroke and eliminates some of the "yippiness" that comes when chipping out of deep rough.  I am also able to open the face of the ChipR and play some slightly lofted shots which is pretty cool.  The 8 iron just doesnt inspire any confidence out of deeper greenside rough

Worth it to be one of 14?

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I checked on Ping site they do make LH model.🤔

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I purchased, cleaned up and flipped a 70's era Ping Chipo last year.  Interesting little club with a bit of a following.

image.png.3b883ddb02eed4871ea9eb0079d51e22.png Aerojet LS driver

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

:wilson_staff_small: Infinite Buckingham putter

I played again on Friday and the chipper got a good workout.  I went up and down with it 4 out of 5 times and I can confidently say that I may have gotten 3 out of 5 with just my regular/irons wedges.

It really is a fantastic option for someone like me who struggles maintaining or reducing loft on a club and really allows me to his more regular chips that run out rather than relying on a wedge to stop the ball with spin/decent angle.  I can now play pitch shots with my 52 or 58 and then chips with my ChipR.  

What I do need to spend some more range time with is my new wedges.  Moving from 50/54/60 to 52/58 means my gap wedge goes about 5-10 yards shorter so I need to dial in my partial PW shots, my partial 52 shots and then see if I can get comfortable using my 58 on some full swings - something I really never did with my 60.  I am super comfortable taking less than full swings with my wedges, so it really isn't about comfort level so much as just learning my new yardages.  It shouldn't be too much of a learning curve and it will be worth the payoff for the added shots around the green I now have in my arsenal thanks to the ChipR

34 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I played again on Friday and the chipper got a good workout.  I went up and down with it 4 out of 5 times and I can confidently say that I may have gotten 3 out of 5 with just my regular/irons wedges.

It really is a fantastic option for someone like me who struggles maintaining or reducing loft on a club and really allows me to his more regular chips that run out rather than relying on a wedge to stop the ball with spin/decent angle.  I can now play pitch shots with my 52 or 58 and then chips with my ChipR.  

What I do need to spend some more range time with is my new wedges.  Moving from 50/54/60 to 52/58 means my gap wedge goes about 5-10 yards shorter so I need to dial in my partial PW shots, my partial 52 shots and then see if I can get comfortable using my 58 on some full swings - something I really never did with my 60.  I am super comfortable taking less than full swings with my wedges, so it really isn't about comfort level so much as just learning my new yardages.  It shouldn't be too much of a learning curve and it will be worth the payoff for the added shots around the green I now have in my arsenal thanks to the ChipR

All this coming from a single digit handicap player, says a lot.

You def have peaked my interest in it and I can see myself taking out the 3h or 4h to include the ChipR. I may even try bump-n-running my 9i from a more upright shaft angle. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

• 2 weeks later...

So @jlukes, If I can ask a technique question since I may be jumping into this space, it it more of putting type stroke around the green, hence the more putter like build? I'm just think what I should get mine built to spec wise to make the best use of the club going in the bag if/when I order it

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

3 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

So @jlukes, If I can ask a technique question since I may be jumping into this space, it it more of putting type stroke around the green, hence the more putter like build? I'm just think what I should get mine built to spec wise to make the best use of the club going in the bag if/when I order it

Yes - definitely think of it more like a putter than an iron or wedge.  I like the 35" length because it lets me stand upright more and make a putting stroke with it, but also allows me to choke down as needed and get more creative with it.

I really love this club.

25 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Yes - definitely think of it more like a putter than an iron or wedge.  I like the 35" length because it lets me stand upright more and make a putting stroke with it, but also allows me to choke down as needed and get more creative with it.

I really love this club.

Ok, I'm thinking more SmartSole personally since I can order a bit cheaper from Cleveland/Srixon and the length is actually already at putter length for me. Did you go more upright with the build, or is it pretty close to stock?

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

8 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

Ok, I'm thinking more SmartSole personally since I can order a bit cheaper from Cleveland/Srixon and the length is actually already at putter length for me. Did you go more upright with the build, or is it pretty close to stock?

Stock.  Working great.  I went with the ChipR because it is more versatile than the Cleveland SS Chipper. Cleveland chipper has a SUPER wide sole.  Ping is a bit more traditional while still offering plenty of bounce and forgiveness

26 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Stock.  Working great.  I went with the ChipR because it is more versatile than the Cleveland SS Chipper. Cleveland chipper has a SUPER wide sole.  Ping is a bit more traditional while still offering plenty of bounce and forgiveness

Yeah, I hear you on the that, got to play around with a women's build on a chipper at GG, and as bad as I am right now I need all the bounce and help I can get. Made good sense to me and sadly they didn't have the Ping in stock or else that would have gotten a try.

SIK Golf Flo-C

On 7/25/2022 at 1:31 PM, bens197 said:

I would bet my life’s savings that every golfer above scratch would benefit from a Chipr.  

Looking forward to following this one.

I have owned a Cleveland chipper for several years but stopped carrying it a while back. For a recent 5-day golf trip I put it back in the bag and removed my lob wedge. Over 5 days and 6 rounds, I NEVER had an occasion to use it. Best use for me is up to 5 yards off the green in the fringe, if in long grass I use a wedge. Just never needed it! But I did miss the lob wedge. Will be taking the chipper out again. 

On 7/24/2022 at 12:55 PM, Samsonite said:

My "Mazel" chipper (Square Strike but with a different (more Jewish?) name - seriously, am I saying it wrong? Is there another way to pronounce "Mazel" except as part of "Tov"?) arrived yesterday - was going to do a mini-review, but then saw OG did an incredible thread a few years back, and figured it was overkill.  I got it in the black-version (not bright green - nasty, lol), and 45*, and was only able to use it around the back yard, but I will say that the design of it is pretty smart: weighted and upright like a putter, immediately gets me closer to the ball, ball flies legit dead straight for wherever I'm aiming.  So far, so good.

I've been chipping almost exclusively with my PW (44* set wedge), and have definitely seen an improvement from trying to use my 52*, but I'm still wildly inconsistent with the distance.  I'm curious to see if this helps my distance control - if not, I got it on sale on Prime Day for $60, so...easy enough to offload for a wash.

I'm also going to throw a midsize grip on it - the grip on this isn't CRAZY skinny or anything, but it stinks like a tire, and doesn't feel nearly as nice as my standard grips, so I'll see if that has any effect.

Loved seeing Ping come out with the ChipR (such a stupid name), but was pretty surprised at the near-$200 price, especially given the price of this (admittedly lower-quality, based on first impressions) thing.

L'Chaim. (now I'm just trying to make myself laugh)

Perhaps you are aware, but for those who aren’t, you cannot put a putter grip on it. 

On 7/24/2022 at 8:07 PM, PBH3 said:

Does it come with a full set of iron covers!?!

now lets see people lose their minds...

I have always used iron covers in my bag while traveling to play golf but never on the course. Due to the positive comments and reasons expressed in posts on the subject I think I will try using on the course. 

I play a lot of nine hole rounds with a Sunday bag. Something like this could be real handy with just the 5, 7 and 9 irons. A ChipR and SW would cover the bottom of the set. Throw in a driver, 7W and putter and you have a minimalist eight club bag.

G 410 Plus

Original One

G Hybrid 19 & 22

Rogue Pro Black 5-AW

Glide 2.0 56 WS

Hi-Toe 60

Edel EAS 1.0

47 minutes ago, ButchT said:

Perhaps you are aware, but for those who aren’t, you cannot put a putter grip on it. 

Yes! Thanks for the reminder for those who don't know - it makes them illegal for tourney play.  I'm not sure I'll end up using mine for more than fun rounds anyway, to be honest, as all the work I put in with my PW to get better results has actually made me less comfortable with the chipper than I am with the PW, lol.  I'm going to keep playing around with it to see if I can dial it in, but the nice thing about spending so little on it is that if it gets relegated, I won't feel bad.

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

I have a Cleveland smart sole 46* and I love it for those shots just off the green in the rough.  A) I had an open spot in my bag.  B) I hit my wedges very well but like several of you I watched the Mark Crossfield videos on chippers and it made sense.  I have had it in the bag for about a month and a half.  I love the forgiveness of the broad sole.  I like the upright feel like I am putting.  There is no more worry when six feet from the pin and 3 feet in the rough, no worries that if I swing with soft hands that the club will get pulled off line, or that I will hit it 15 feet past.  For years I used a putter for these situations and it was the same worries as a wedge when everything was said and done.  Now with my Cleveland Smart Sole I am far more focused on making these shots, and I have been making lots of them.  The weight of the club and the wide sole let it glide on line with the right weight for these type shots.  Some rounds I never pull it.  Some rounds I use it on several holes with great success.  I have had 14 birdie since I bought this club.  I would caution against using it in to many situations it is not a fix all club.  I don't know what I would have removed from a full bag to add it.  If you rarely use a certain club in your bag give one a try.  I got mine on Ebay lightly used for about $70.  

I really think the Cleveland Smart Sole makes it easier to use than the Ping Chipr

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

I had found myself putting from off the green a lot. I'm a good putter, but my chipping can go either way. When I saw that Ping was coming out with the ChipR I knew this was something that I needed. I ordered one the day they were released. I tried it once and liked it. After that I cut it down 2 inches so that it would be more comparable to my putter length. I use Pure DTX standard grips on my irons and woods. I ordered a midsize so that I could stretch it to the max and still maintain a similar OD. After this I was even more pleased. It helped me win some money in the quota game. The older guys from years past knew what they were doing. At 73, I guess I'm one of them now. 

On 7/22/2022 at 3:04 PM, tommc23 said:

I feel like this is just a big name version of the square strike. Am I wrong? I’m still interested in how it works for you though @jlukes

I am sure that I read that Ping is bringing back the chipper, which leads me to believe that it was around way before the square strike was even thought of.  If you read up on the chipper you can get the same results from an eight iron.  Instead of adding another club to my bag, I use my 8 iron very effectively and confidently as a chipper.   If you cannot make contact with the ball, does not matter which club you use.  Still have to have confidence in the club in your hand.  Congratulations to Ping for putting it back into their line.  Karsten Solheim was a great golf club builder.  Just sorry his patent ran out on the Anser putter.  Too many copies out there.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

• 2 weeks later...

For those that don’t follow MGS social media you probably missed that they are doing a lab type test to evaluate the ChipR.  I participated yesterday and found the product intriguing but with some limitations.  The head is much heavier than I previously thought which I think helps avoid the chunky shot.   I think with some practice it would be great for bump and run and chip shots were you have lots of ground to utilize.  Basically the ball is going to roll out as you don’t create a lot of spin.  When you need to elevate the ball or want it to stop quickly the club may be a disappointment.  With the upright lie angle, thickish sole, and lower loft opening the face doesn’t produce reliable results.   I think for a player that struggles with fat and thin shots around the green this could be a game changer.  For players that want to do different types of shots around the green you will be disappointed and think it is a waste of a spot in the bag.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 8/15/2022 at 3:30 PM, ButchT said:

On 8/15/2022 at 4:19 PM, Samsonite said:

Yes! Thanks for the reminder for those who don't know - it makes them illegal for tourney play.  I'm not sure I'll end up using mine for more than fun rounds anyway, to be honest, as all the work I put in with my PW to get better results has actually made me less comfortable with the chipper than I am with the PW, lol.  I'm going to keep playing around with it to see if I can dial it in, but the nice thing about spending so little on it is that if it gets relegated, I won't feel bad.

While you may not be able to pit a putter grip on it, there isn't much difference diameter-wise to a JumboMax non-taper grip compared to say a SuperStroke grip.

JumboMax non-taper goes from 1.18" to 1.06" DIA

Superstroke says its Tour 1.0 is 1" DIA and 2.0 is 1.17" DIA

image.png.279399aa2bdd329e34a949bde035964e.png

Driver - default_taylormade-small.jpg R9 Superdeep TP 10.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65g XStiff Shaft

3 Wood - 2020 1ef73718.png Tight Lies 16* - Aldila Synergy Red 50-S Shaft

2 Hybrid - 1ef73718.png Idea Pro - Aldila VS Proto+ 'By You' 80-S Shaft

3 Iron - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT SL S300 Shaft

4-9 Irons - default_taylormade-small.jpg R7TP DGTT X-100 Shafts (6i has mismatched Project X 6.0 shaft)

Sand Wedge - Adams GT XTreme 2 SW

Putter - default_ping-small.jpg Heppler Tomcat 14

Ball - default_titelist-small.jpg Tour Soft

On 8/24/2022 at 11:16 AM, cnosil said:

For those that don’t follow MGS social media you probably missed that they are doing a lab type test to evaluate the ChipR.  I participated yesterday and found the product intriguing but with some limitations.  The head is much heavier than I previously thought which I think helps avoid the chunky shot.   I think with some practice it would be great for bump and run and chip shots were you have lots of ground to utilize.  Basically the ball is going to roll out as you don’t create a lot of spin.  When you need to elevate the ball or want it to stop quickly the club may be a disappointment.  With the upright lie angle, thickish sole, and lower loft opening the face doesn’t produce reliable results.   I think for a player that struggles with fat and thin shots around the green this could be a game changer.  For players that want to do different types of shots around the green you will be disappointed and think it is a waste of a spot in the bag.  

I think if you got it around the green for an hour or so you would be surprised with the versatility. I’m one that is always manipulating my stance and deliver around the greens and it is so fun to experiment with 

18 minutes ago, jlukes said:

I think if you got it around the green for an hour or so you would be surprised with the versatility. I’m one that is always manipulating my stance and deliver around the greens and it is so fun to experiment with 

Probably as you can manipulate most clubs to do various shots.  We had specific tasks that we needed to do so there wasn’t a lot of time to experiment or figure out exactly how to elevate shots.  I did like the club and based on my results in many cases my results were better than my normal club selection.   The Ball seemed to have a lot of ball speed coming off the face so some shots weren’t the best but given a couple of hours to experiment it would be a solid addition to most players bags.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Probably as you can manipulate most clubs to do various shots.  We had specific tasks that we needed to do so there wasn’t a lot of time to experiment or figure out exactly how to elevate shots.  I did like the club and based on my results in many cases my results were better than my normal club selection.   The Ball seemed to have a lot of ball speed coming off the face so some shots weren’t the best but given a couple of hours to experiment it would be a solid addition to most players bags.  

The thing I’ve taken the longest to get used to is just how much spin the ball has on it. Routinely came up short in my first round because the ball checked up more than I thought it would!

On 8/25/2022 at 12:52 PM, jlukes said:

The thing I’ve taken the longest to get used to is just how much spin the ball has on it. Routinely came up short in my first round because the ball checked up more than I thought it would!

I agree.  Picked up a ChipR myself, and have used it for half a dozen rounds so far.  Technically it's my 15th club, but if I ever play competitive, I don't mind taking out my 3W (can always use my 7W off the tee if need be).  

I used to bump and run with a 9, but the problem I kept running into was that I wanted to be more upright.  Anytime I did lean the 9 more upright, I would make poor contact.  So I decided to give the ChipR a go.  I was also surprised at how much check I got on the ball (it's nothing like an actual wedge for spin, but compared to my 9 iron it definitely has more).  I have issues with my approach shots, and often end up just off the green in the short rough, or in front on a tight lie, and I've found the ChipR to be excellent at helping me get up and down.  I would say I probably use it on 4 or 5 holes a round.

Driver: :callaway-small:Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Woods/Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Epic Max 3 wood, :ping-small: G425 7 wood, :ping-small: G425 4 hybrid

Irons:  :mizuno-small: 921 Hot Metal 5-Pw

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50, 54, CBX full face 60, :ping-small: ChipR

Putter:  :taylormade-small: Spider EX

On 8/15/2022 at 3:30 PM, ButchT said:

Yep correct for stipulated events going strictly on USGA rules. Now around our club and the groups I play in no one gives two rips. Club leagues around here are sorta loose too

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 8/16/2022 at 10:10 AM, ChuckZ said:

I am sure that I read that Ping is bringing back the chipper, which leads me to believe that it was around way before the square strike was even thought of.  If you read up on the chipper you can get the same results from an eight iron.  Instead of adding another club to my bag, I use my 8 iron very effectively and confidently as a chipper.   If you cannot make contact with the ball, does not matter which club you use.  Still have to have confidence in the club in your hand.  Congratulations to Ping for putting it back into their line.  Karsten Solheim was a great golf club builder.  Just sorry his patent ran out on the Anser putter.  Too many copies out there.    

Oh yes Ping had a similar version back around the Eye2 days called a Chip O. I have also in the past seen Kroyden versions made in the 50s. The Chip Os are highly sought after in Ping collector circles. I have a variety of clubs depending on how I feel that day for bump and runs. My favorite is the 5 iron stood on the toe Raymond Floyd style or Ben Crenshaw style. I also do similar shots with the 8I 9I and 51* wedge. I say as always it is whatever one feels comfortable doing.

In my vintage play I carry a hickory shafted Macgregor Niblick which is like 46* just for the fun factor. Really has a great feel

Edited by BIG STU

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

4 minutes ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Going to have some fun tomorrow. Playing pitch and putt with my son. 18 holes, ranging from 40-70 yards. 

Only going to bring the ChipR and the putter.  😎

That should be a great time.  Be careful you’re son may beat you 😁.  Let us know how it goes.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

17 hours ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Going to have some fun tomorrow. Playing pitch and putt with my son. 18 holes, ranging from 40-70 yards. 

Only going to bring the ChipR and the putter.  😎

I love this! Should be a great test to see how versitile the ChipR is.

Edited by Parshooter36

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow