Official Cobra Forged Tec Contest & Member Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

• I would probably choose the Tec X for the forgiveness and get the custom set 5-GW. Not sure if I would go to graphite or stick with steel. Add 1/2-1” for the extra distance it would bring but would definitely go through a full fitting
  • Howard Kennesaw, Ga
  • Nike VRs Forged
  • Will be glad to share my thoughts on these clubs when they arrive. Looking forward to it.

XR16 Driver, Cobra AmpCell 3 wood, Adam’s Idea 3-4 hybrid, Nike Vrs Forged irons 5-A, vokey 56,60, Oddessy Marksman

• I went with the King Forged Tech Irons for a couple reasons.
    • I would like to have an iron that has some better feel than typical game improvement irons, as all I have played up till now have been the fairly clunky and chunky.
    • upon looking I could not do a custom set of the X Forged Tech irons as a left hander.
  • John in Fenton, MI.
  • Current Irons are the Callaway Rogue ST Max irons with 1/2 long shafts (hence that in my screenshot)
  • Currently a 20 handicap, but it has been dropping as my rounds this season are significantly better than last season.
  • yes, I would participate in and discussions on the forums about the irons and my experience if I was to receive them.

Thanks and good luck to all the applicants!

image.jpeg.80008540977f96c6cef20ab54d845986.jpeg

John H.

My Bag:

Driver: Cobra Speedzone Extreme

3W: Cobra Speedzone

3h: Callaway Apex21

4-pw irons: Taylormade Rocketbladez

Wedge (s): 50 degree Taylormade MG3, 54 degree Taylormade MG2

Putter: Odyssey Chrismon 660

4 hours ago, juspoole said:

COBRA! - Just amazing support and opportunities to the MGS folks here throughout the years - thanks for this chance.

So I might be off here, but checking the site, it looked like I had to go to custom for chance at Left Handed configuration.  I could be doing something wrong and that wouldn't surprise me.

I chose the Forged Tec as I like the smaller off set as well as the thinner top line.  I don't need much help with distance, which the X would add just a hair more.

image.png.8354264bc7750dc3105569fde5cd2b8c.png

image.png.528cd938f05f4f66e5f45ca1bef07d1a.png

Yes, I noticed that too when I was looking at the link beofre posting. 

But not to worry the winner will be able submit their specs and we will submit to Cobra for them to build directly.  We just thought it'd be fun for everyone to select and show wha they would choose and why.   And of course the winner won't be held to the specs they posted.  

:titelist-small: TSR1 9.0 Graphite Design DI 5R 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I chose the Tec X since I am a 15 handicap. Left hand was not available in the custom options; I would have gone graphite if I could

Dave/Chicago Area IL

Currently play Wilson D7. 1/2" over 1 deg. upright 

15 Hdcp.

I would agree to discuss how these work for my game.

image.png.470b930a0f38b80c0298f3072185c770.png

As a lefty Cobra has made this a really easy decision. I would have to go with the King Forged Tec X Irons in a regular steel shaft. This is the only lefty option. That being said, hypothetically if all the ranges were open to lefties I would go with the KING Forged Tec ONE Length Irons for several reasons.

1. My current set of irons are the MP-20 SEL. The lofts of the King Forge Tec irons are close to the MP-20 SEL lofts so there would be less of an adjustment that needs to be made along with the ability to get a ball to sit close to where it lands since they are not loft jacked. 

2. You can go up to a 4. I love my irons and if I could I would go all the way to a 2 iron.

3.I feel like the 1025 carbon steel and hollow body design is filled with a lightweight foam give the Cobra Forged Irons the best chance of feeling butter soft on center hit shots along with some feedback and forgives on miss hits. Everyone knows Mizuno irons are at the top for feel when it comes to irons but with this new design I feel like Cobra has caught up and will be able to run with Mizuno for best feeling irons.

4. I would go specifically with the ONE length irons for a few additional reasons. The swing weights are close to what I am currently playing again making an easy transition. The second is 100% personal in the fact that I have been following and copying Bryson to some degree with my clubs. I converted a putter into an arm lock. Shaved some strokes off my game. I got Bryson to respond on you tube to figure out his glove size and recommended jumbo max grip size i should go with. After having those on I have seen an improvement with consistency resulting in again lower scores. I have been on the fence for the longest time about one length and could just not justify paying for a full set of irons just to try them but at this point it is the only thing I haven't tried in Bryson's style and everything else has worked so far, so why not. The one length would also allow me to go to a KBS $ Taper Chrome X-Stiff shaft.

Cobra and Bryson....some of use lefties can play with more then game improvement irons, throw us some love!

King Forged Tec X Irons.jpg

Currently what is in the bag:

Driver: Switch between a Callaway XR16 5 degree long drive driver, Titleist TS2 driver, or TaylorMade Mini Burner

Upper end of the back I switch out between:

Titleist U510 1 iron, Mizuno MP20HMB 3 iron bend down to 2 iron loft, Titleist TS2 3 and 5 wood, Callaway Epic 3 and 4 hybrid

Iron are Mizuno MP-20 SEL 3-PW 

Wedges are Vokey SM8's 46, 50, 54, 58, 62

Putter(s): switch between Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 Special or a Odyssey Tank 7 putter that I converted to an armlock putter.

All grips are Jumbo Max XL

Ball switched between ProV1 x, ProV1 left dash, and TP5 X

Lets give it a try here.

I am in between the King Forget Tec One Lenght irons

image.png.07ba06bc341e20ab378305dd3299ffe7.png

And The Forget tec Irons.

image.png.0b05b5e38a39747f93256c5f988fc5f3.png

I have always played the regular irons and have really been interested on the OL irons, due to the possibility of simplifying my set up and swing.

I do think that Cobra has come a long ways and I would be very excited to see how their Irons play for my game.

I live in Southgate, Michigan.

I am currently playing the PXG 0211 DC

I am playing at a 18 handicap.

Heck yeah, I will participate in those discussions about the irons.

My Reviews:

2023 Official review - Rapsodo MLM2Pro!

2022 Official Review - Edel SMS Wedges

2021 Official Review - Tommy Armour Impact 3 Putter

2020 Official Member Review - BagBoy Chiller Cart Bag

Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Honma TR21 4 Wood - Unofficial Review by xOldBenKenobiX

Driver - :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme 10.5, UST helium 5  Wood - :honma:TR21 4 Wood, Vizard 20-60  and TW GS 5 Wood Vixard FD 55  768205649_Screenshot2023-06-0213_28_25.png.53900da2fbc8d481e66d2a00ab6ac775.png 301 Combo 301CB and 301MB    231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png.6bd9ee8247ca1cc0415f39bf5fdfe313.png. SMS 48*, 56*, 60*   Putter: Lucky golf putter. Ball:  ::titelist-small:  ProV1, ::Arccos:: Smart Sensors. Shoes: a couple ::footjoy-small:: A couple of :nike-small: A couple of Adidas ,   Yeah I have a shoe addiction.::SuperSpeed:: Started at 79mph, finished 1st stage at 91mph

20200728_121856.jpg.9cf8a7d26ca1096e8d390a8c2f59b6c2.jpg

3 minutes ago, mscall said:

As a lefty Cobra has made this a really easy decision. I would have to go with the King Forged Tec X Irons in a regular steel shaft. This is the only lefty option. That being said, hypothetically if all the ranges were open to lefties I would go with the KING Forged Tec ONE Length Irons for several reasons.

1. My current set of irons are the MP-20 SEL. The lofts of the King Forge Tec irons are close to the MP-20 SEL lofts so there would be less of an adjustment that needs to be made along with the ability to get a ball to sit close to where it lands since they are not loft jacked. 

2. You can go up to a 4. I love my irons and if I could I would go all the way to a 2 iron.

3.I feel like the 1025 carbon steel and hollow body design is filled with a lightweight foam give the Cobra Forged Irons the best chance of feeling butter soft on center hit shots along with some feedback and forgives on miss hits. Everyone knows Mizuno irons are at the top for feel when it comes to irons but with this new design I feel like Cobra has caught up and will be able to run with Mizuno for best feeling irons.

4. I would go specifically with the ONE length irons for a few additional reasons. The swing weights are close to what I am currently playing again making an easy transition. The second is 100% personal in the fact that I have been following and copying Bryson to some degree with my clubs. I converted a putter into an arm lock. Shaved some strokes off my game. I got Bryson to respond on you tube to figure out his glove size and recommended jumbo max grip size i should go with. After having those on I have seen an improvement with consistency resulting in again lower scores. I have been on the fence for the longest time about one length and could just not justify paying for a full set of irons just to try them but at this point it is the only thing I haven't tried in Bryson's style and everything else has worked so far, so why not. The one length would also allow me to go to a KBS $ Taper Chrome X-Stiff shaft.

Cobra and Bryson....some of use lefties can play with more then game improvement irons, throw us some love!

King Forged Tec X Irons.jpg

See my reply to Juspoole about 3 or 4 replies above, about the LH custom selection.  If a LH wins, they will just be sumbmitting their specs directly to us and we will forward to Cobra for the build.  So in short, yes a LH will be able to have the FT-X 

:titelist-small: TSR1 9.0 Graphite Design DI 5R 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Thanks for this opportunity. 

Explain why you chose the model you did and what you'd hope to get out of them performance wise

I chose this for forgiveness and length and hopefully they go high enough to stick on the green from 165 out. 

List your first name/city state (US Only entries)

Charles, Skokie Illinois

What current irons you're playing

Playing Srixon ZX5 Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts

Handicap

Will you agree to patriciate in discussions on the forum about your experience with the irons after receiving them.

I absolutely would agree. 

KING Forged Tec X Irons Custom

Qty1
$1,199.00
View Details
Hand Right
Set Comp 5-GW
Shaft Flex Option Steel Regular Shaft KBS Tour Lite - Steel Regular
Shaft Length +1/2" LONG
Grip Type Standard Grips (Cobra Connect Not Included)
Grip Lamkin - Sonar - Black
Grip Options STANDARD
Loft Angle STANDARD
Lie Angle 1° UP
Edited by ckeller52
-ckeller52

What's in the bag? This is....
IRONS         Srixon ZX5 5-AW fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts
WEDGE's     Vokey SM9 54* 14 Fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts and A 60* Jean Carlo Golf Wedge (Amazon)
DRIVER       default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
3 WOOD     default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
HYBRIDS     cobra King F9 Speedback 3&4  KBS TOUR HB GRAPHITE 75 R
PUTTER       cobra WideSport 35" 
Lamkin       Sonar+ Tour Calibrate Standard Golf Grips
I also use Garmin Approach S70 and a Bushnell V3 (no slope)
And a Full Swing Kit launch monitor for the three times a week or so when I practice. 

image.png.5b3607aef75d57af94d05cf6a84f6a52.png

* Looking for higher ball flight and more forgiveness

* Gary in Oakdale, Minnesota

* Currently playing TM Burner HT

* HDCP 16.2

* Love to discuss all things golf, especially equipment.

Driver: Cobra BioCell

3W: Cobra BioCell

4/5 Hybrid: Cobra Fly Z

Irons: Taylor Made Burner HT, 4-AW

Gap Wedge: Cleveland CG14, 56 deg.

SW: Hogan Edge GCD

Putter: Yes C-Groove Tracy, 35" or Yes C-Groove Sandy 12, 35"

Ball: Maxfli Tour

• Explain why you chose the model you did and what you'd hope to get out of them performance wise
    • I'm 59. A 6 handicap . I've been playing Cobra S3 Pro Blades for about 15 years. I've tried other irons, but keep coming back to my blades. I don't have the swing speed to really make the S3 Pro's go, I just really like how they feel. I've had 2 hole in ones and played Pinehurst #2 with them. When I first got them, I bent them 2 degrees up, 2 degrees strong. I changes the shafts in the 6, 5 and 4 to regular flex from stiff. The Forged Tec X look to have stronger lofts and should be pretty close to my S3's. Any forgiveness will be a bonus. I'm looking for a set of irons to take me into my 60's and maybe a round in the 60's.
  • List your first name/city state (US Only entries)
    • Mike, Wichita, KS
  • What current irons you're playing
    • Cobra S3 pro blades, stiff p, 9, 8, 7, reg 6, 5, cavity back 4 iron, reg flex, all 2 degree up, 2 degree strong. CP2 grips
  • Handicap
  • Will you agree to participate in discussions on the forum about your experience with the irons after receiving them.
    • I've got plenty of time to test and type........Retired

CobraCapture.JPG

20220729_145727.jpg

I have played cobra irions in the past and loved them.  I am very interested in the King Forged Tec X irons to give me a little more forgiveness as I get older.  I am currently playing Ping G700 irons, but need something that gives me more elevation and bite.  I am currently testing a King Forged Tec X 6 iron with a KBS graphite shaft.

Rick/Tucson, AZ/handicap 6 and I would be happy to participate in the forum to discuss my experience.

image.png.4671d474220a1f21e6897f922dd4cdbc.png

:callaway-small:

:srixon-small:

52 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Yea, why? 😉  Those are the previous model and not a part of this contest. 

Well, I wasn’t sure, so I figured I’d take the chance…🤣

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

3 hours ago, Lacassem said:

That one was a blast. So difficult. Remember I had to hit a 3W out of a greenside bunker.

Irons only was a fun round too, should do that again

I had driver out of fescue when we were doing as part of the challenges!  Somehow got it out and almost onto the green.  Did you go backwards with your 3W, or just power it right up that face Holey Moley style? 🤣

3 hours ago, mikeanthony said:

Oh, I only remember cause I was mistakenly announced as the winner! 😂 Your answer was overlooked by the moderator! 🤣

OMG you're right!!  I'm sooo sorry!!  It's been forever scared into your memory

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

8 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Well, I wasn’t sure, so I figured I’d take the chance…🤣

... I just didn't want to see you miss out. 😇

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver:
    :taylormade-small:  Stealth2 HD 10.5* ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :taylormade-small:  Dhy 22*/19* ... Diamana LTD 65r
Irons:       :cobra-small: King Tour 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: MG3 51*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small: King Sport-60
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

• I picked the Forged Tec X because of the forgiveness factor of it. I also feel it will give me more yards vs my current gamers.
  • Lee/ Ft Myers, FL
  • Currently playing Mizuno JPX920HM
  • Approx 10-12 (typically shoot 80-85)
  • Very much open to providing as much feedback and details needed so that others can decide if these irons are right for them as well.

Cobra.jpg

Explain why you chose the model you did and what you'd hope to get out of them performance wise

I chose the X for its additional forgiveness.  I expect to gain a little distance and hope to improve both consistency and accuracy.

List your first name/city state (US Only entries)

Rod / Kalamazoo, MI

What current irons you're playing

PXG 0211 DC

Handicap

I don't maintain a handicap.  Typical round is in the 88 - 93 range.

Will you agree to patriciate in discussions on the forum about your experience with the irons after receiving them.

I will.

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 5.37.34 PM.png

Edited by Hacker Rod
Changed configuration

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 8.5*, HZRDUS Smoke Yellow XS

TaylorMade Original One Mini Driver/2W 12.5*, Elements Chrome XS

Callaway Super Hybrid 17*, Aldila Rogue 95 MSI XS

Maltby KE4 Tour TC Hybrid 20*, KBS Tour Steel XS

Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 5-SW, Project X LZ Tour S

Titleist Vokey SM7 60*/D

Evnroll ER5 Hatchback

• Golfspy_CG2 changed the title to Official Cobra Forged Tec Contest-WINNER ANNOUNCED!
  • GolfSpy_APH changed the title to Official Cobra Forged Tec Contest & Member Review