Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Which Club In Your Bag Do You Rarely Use?

KC Golf

60 degree LW.  I can do just as good with my SW around the greens and would never try a full swing with it.

Driver - Cobra LTDx

3 wood - Cobra RadSpeed

3H - Cobra RadSpeed One Length

4H - Cobra RadSpeed One Length

Irons (5-LW) - PXG 0211

Putter - Odyssey White Hot RX

Changed my bag to reflect the lack of use for the lob wedge. Relegated it to the extra bag with the highest lofted club now being the 56* sand wedge.  After that, the stronger lofted hybrid is not often used, though I really like it.  

TSR 2, 11, Tensei blue regular flex, driver

TSi 2, 16.5, Tensei blue regular flex, fairway

Stealth, 21, Ventus Red 5-r, fairway

TSi 2,  24, Tensei blue regular flex, hybrid

AP3, 5i - 48*, Steelfiber I95, regular flex, irons

RTX 52, 56, DG Spinner, wedges

ER2, 33”  OR  ER 11v, 33” putter

Interesting question. I didn't have Arccos for the past season so this is just guessing: It's somewhere between 4 wood, 6 iron (my longest iron and at 26° really a strong 5) and 60° wedge. Since I have Arccos now for 2023, I'm very curious if this holds true. That being said, I don't think I will replace any of them in case they turn out to be the least used. The yardages/situations just don't arise that often, but when they do, I'm glad I habe those clubs. I also don't know what to replace them with, since I don't feel I'm missing anything in the bag at this point in time.

Edited by Cryss

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°

TaylorMade Stealth 3HL 16.5°

Cobra LTDx 7W 21.5°

Callaway Rogue CF18 5H 24°

Callaway Rogue CF18 6i-PW

Cleveland CBX2 49° + 54°, CBX Full Face 58°

TaylorMade Spider Tour Black #3

Vice Pro

Arccos

49 minutes ago, Svengineer said:

I usually only play for fun and I always have 15 clubs in the bag, and I mentally take out either the 3wood, the 16 hybrid or the 4 iron out of the bag before I play the course, based on length of par 3s. I have been hitting the driver well for a long while now, and playing the yellow tees I almost never need more than a 7 iron into the par 4s, and very seldom need more than the 16 degree hybrid to get to the longer par 5s in two shots. So I almost never use the wonderful titleist 3 wood I bought in 2021. I think I probably made a mistake by going with a 13.5° since it is just so difficult to get off the ground, even after I adjusted the loft sleeve to 15°. The ball speed from it was just so amazing that I got greedy.

I may need to start playing off the white tees this summer because of my handicap which may require me to use the 3 wood off the tee or into the longer par 5s but I think I may need to look into having a 4 wood in the bag.

I also have tried a 64° CG12 cleveland, and a 73° feel wedge and these things are in my opinion very much unnecessary when you can always just lay open the 60° lob wedge. You can get all the height you need with that.

I have also compared a 20° Srixon U85 utility/driving iron with a 21° hybrid that I have kept in the bag for close to 10 years now, and the results were so clearly in the hybrid's favour that I very quickly sold the U85. Hybrids are way easier to hit than these hollow driving irons.

Wow.  svengineer... 73-degree feel wedge.... who makes that club?  I have a 64-degree made by XE1.  And, 3W is my leased used club.

I carry 10 to 11 clubs, even for tournament play, and I use them all, frequently enough. 

5 handicap, walk/carry, superlight bag, hilly course, age 62, cancer survivor, it's about health and fun more than every advantage. 

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

3 iron.  I left it in the bag while I acclimated to my 19* hybrid last year and kind of forgot it was there until this topic popped up.  Just went and pulled it out of the bag (and my signature) before I forget to do it again.  I only hit it one time last year and that was before I spent some time working on the 3 hybrid which now covers covers the same territory.  Now that the 3 iron is out of the bag I can say 8 iron is least used.  Something is wonky with it and I started choking down on a 7 if I needed that distance (which really wasn't that often).  I should probably get that checked out before the season starts again.  The rest of the clubs I spread the love around pretty well.

Edited by LebanonOz
Added comment that the 3 iron was also removed from signature

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5* - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Regular
:ping-small: G425 3Hybrid 19* - Fujikura Pro 2.0 Hybrid 7 - Regular

:ping-small: G425 5i-PW (bent to old school lofts, similar to Ping's Retro Spec) - KBS Tour 90 Regular
:ping-small: G425 50* wedge - KBS Tour 90 Regular
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 56* - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Black
:odyssey-small: White Hot OG 7S, Garsen Quad Tour non-tapered grip
Titleist ProV1x Left Dash
Shot Scope X5 watch; Bushnell Pro X2 Range Finder

A great question and I had to really think about this one.  Started analyzing the course I play three days a week and found that I use all fourteen clubs during my rounds.  It is a difficult course and shot selection/management is the key.  I find myself taking advantage of the 14 provided in my bag, tee to green.  Just me.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

It's my 3H.  My 4H (Adams) is so clutch, I know I can depend on it, but when I swing my 3 hybrid (Adams), I never know what to expect.  It's weird that I'd be so inconsistent with 2 adjacent clubs.  Heartbreaking when you need to execute, but I refuse to give up on her.

"Play bad fast"  The gear and swing of a +3, with the scores of a +24!

Rogue ST:  Dr/3W

ADAMS:  3h/4h (these things should be in a museum...they're amazing)

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal:  5i-SW

44 minutes ago, joedeausen said:

Wow.  svengineer... 73-degree feel wedge.... who makes that club?  I have a 64-degree made by XE1.  And, 3W is my leased used club.

It was called Feel, I think I bought it off ebay or amazon probably about 10 years ago. Really silly club that had one use, flop shots and short bunker shots.

Driver: Cobra Radspeed, x-stiff , 9.0° set to 7.5°.

3 wood: Titleist TSi2, x-stiff , 13,5° set to 15°.

1 hybrid: Adams tour proto, x-stiff Aldila 80g, 16°.

3 hybrid: Wishon 775HS, x-stiff, 21°.

4-GW: Mizuno JPX919 forged, x-stiff.

SW: Taylormade MG3, 56° bent to 55°, medium bounce.

LW: Taylormade MG3, 60°, medium bounce.

Putter: EVNROLL ER2 black.

Ball: Titleist ProV1 or ProV1x

I spend way too much time bombing the driver.

5 iron. I can’t remember the last round it came out of the bag. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0*. (Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65)

FW: Cobra F9 3W (MC Diamana RF 60)
Hybrid:
Callaway Apex 19 2H (KBS - 85)

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4H (MC - Kuro Kage 80 HY)
Irons: Callaway XR Steelhead 5I - AW (Project X 6.0 Steel)
Wedges: Callaway MD3 54* Standard; PM Grind 58* (Project X 5.5 Steel)
Putter: Odyssey Toulon - Atlanta (35")
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist Pro-V1, Whatever is in the Weeds
Resident of Southern California

Very interesting topic - 

For the past several years I've reviewed my club usage based on Shot scope stats, learning early on that the answer was not going to be what I expected.  First, there was usage to consider and second there was and is effective usage.  

Usage wise it's always a club in the 5 iron (9 wood for me) range.  I just don't have a lot of shots in the 165-175 range on the course that I play most.  So that's almost always my least used club.  My 3 wood and my 56 degree wedge were for the longest time my least effective clubs.  I ditched the 3 wood for a 5 wood and was far more effective with that.  However I recently had someone build a fairway wood that has a 4 wood head with a 3 wood shaft and I am doing well with it.  I've taken the 5 wood out and put it in.

I tried to work around the 56 by taking it and the 52 out and putting in a 54-59 combo.  Not a wise move on my part because I am most effective chipping with the 52.  Currently it and the 56 are back in and I'm using a different 59 with a very high bounce as an exclusive sand iron.  Jury is still out there.  

So usage wise it's 9 wood but I would not take that out of my bag as I do use it at least every other round and I'm very effective with it when I do.  I'm most likely to use it to lay up on a couple of par 5's or under certain conditions from certain tees on one of two par threes on my course.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It's a never-ending story. It started with the 4 iron. Then I added a 7 wood to replace it. Then the 5 iron. I put a 5 hybrid in its place. Then it was my 60 degree.  So now there is a 56 degree with a wide sole which is great out of the sand and only out of the sand. Then a 55 degree which is great out of the fairway, and I can open that one up if needed without raising the leading edge off the turf much. My set gap wedge is 50 degrees so 55 made sense. So far, an entire season without making a change. 🤣

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I got arccos a couple years ago, and after 12 rounds realized I only used my 60* 3 times! down the rabbit hole we went.

So out it went, and since I was struggling with tight lie chipping, I put in a chipper. 

Once I got the feeling back with 7i chipping, the chipper & 56* went out, and 54* & 58* went in.

Didn't like that too much, so 54* & 58*out, and 56* & 19* hybrid in.

Didn't use the 19* at all (like 3W & 22* mashie better) so pulled that out, and carried two putters (blade & Mallet) to help with lag putting.

After I got laughed at, I finally came to my senses, and put a "desert" wedge in.  Not many desert courses in Illinois, but it's nice to have a junk PW to hit from paths, bridges, roots, flower beds, acorn shells, sand less and/or crunchy bunkers and other exotic locations I sometime find myself in.  No fear of snapping it on a root or wrapping it around a tree trunk, when a replacement is $10 in the bargain barrel. 

ROGUE ST MAX 9* - Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 65 Graphite stiff

GBB Epic Pro Tour 15* - Matrix Radix HD 7 stiff

Cleveland Mashie 20.5* - Miyazaki 5G Stiff

PXG O211 4-G - Steelfiber I95 Stiff

Callaway Mac Daddy CB 54* & 58* - KBS shafts.

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack - PXG Multi-Material M16 Putter Shaft plumbers neck 

Probably a toss up between my lob wedge and 5 iron.  It actually depends how many errant shots I hit in the trees which requires a 5 iron punch to get back in play.  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

Any hybrid.  I've had them in my bag and tried them but hit longer irons and shorter woods better.  So I guess they're not in my bag anymore and the question doesn't apply!

Of what is there the 60 degree and SW don't get exercised as much as the rest.

GPS111

5 iron - use 6h that gives similar distance and higher ball flight.  Also 3W - hit the driver just as straight and not as far as I used to, and the next in the bag is the 5 wood that also gets up in the air more easily, so not so different distance as the 3W.  With those two out, the bag is easier to carry (play with 12 clubs.)

I'm seeing so many people mention 3Wood as their least used club.  I have the Callaway Rogue ST (16 degree 3W) and can't imagine not swinging that baby multiple times per round.  It's the best 3W I've ever had, and is phenomenal off the tee or off the deck.  

"Play bad fast"  The gear and swing of a +3, with the scores of a +24!

Rogue ST:  Dr/3W

ADAMS:  3h/4h (these things should be in a museum...they're amazing)

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal:  5i-SW

I have a 4 hybrid @21*, and a 4 iron @24* that do not see much action, but there are occasions when I use them...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

5 hours ago, Everardo said:

None. I constantly evaluate which clubs are needed, which under-perform (mostly it's the user), which are better for certain courses, etc

I like that. Though I only carry maximum 11 clubs, I will sometimes take a 59 degree wedge and other times a 15 degree Freiheit driver, depending on the course. The main question is how will I configure wedges. Typically I go 38, 46, 55, but I can also go 38, 43, 49, 56 or 38, 46, 54, 59. I have a lot of really nice wedges. Bounce will also fluctuate, but never more than 11.

Settled clubs: Epon 50/8, 45/6, 40/5, 35/4, 30/4, 26/3 all with Zelos 8 stiff, 1/2 degree flat. Mizuno CLK Hybrid 20 degrees. Putter: 37" rife.h Hbore xl 2wood (the unicorn)--16 degrees, 420 cc? 

Not settled: 54/10 Vokey 

Not settle: 12 degree Mizuno stx 12* set to 11.

For me it depends on what tee I am playing. It's not one club. Lately, if I play a longer tee than I hit mostly woods and 4 hybrid and not to many irons. If I move up a tee, than a lot of irons and not so many woods. It's kind of a stark contrast. I generally play three courses and it's the same way on all three. Good times.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)