The Good Morning Thread

GolfSpy_APH

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, MattWillGolf said:

Was seeing a lot Premier League banter this morning. I have a request. Premier League fans please make a “pitch” on who I should back. The next town over from me is Liverpool. My football team has an ownership stake in Leeds. I once had a beer and a burger in an Arsenal bar in Seattle. I really enjoyed Sunderland Till I Die on Netflix. Welcome to Wrexham on Hulu is a good watch. My wife and I really enjoyed Ted Lasso. Some of the teams mentioned above though aren’t in the Premier League as I understand it. 😂

No, Wrexham isn't in the Prem yet, although they've climbed two rungs of a four-rung ladder in two years. Neither is Sunderland. Or AFC Richmond for that matter. Leeds was there a couple of years ago but got relegated.

The Prem is regarded as a Big Six (Manchester City, Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and that other team in North London) and everyone else. 

ManU is kind of like the Yankees of the Prem. Tons of money, and they'd really have to screw up not to be competitive. For the last few years, that's exactly what they've done, although they somehow managed to win the FA Cup this year. But they have a new controlling owner who actually seems to have a clue, so we'll see if they regain their perch.

Man City is very controversial. Owned by an Arab oil tycoon, endless supply of money. They currently face charges of 115 violations of Financial Fair Play rules, designed to keep clubs from buying championships. This case has dragged out forever but is expected to be settled in 2015; it's even theoretically possible that MCFC could be relegated as punishment, although I consider that highly unlikely. In the meantime, they've won the Prem four straight years, so they have actually bought championships. (Newcastle is also owned by Arab oil money, specifically the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia, and are considered by many to be an example of sportswashing, just like that other PIF venture, LIV Golf.)

I became an Arsenal supporter 20+ years ago when I wanted someone other than ManU to win. When the Gunners beat ManU at ManU in 2002 to win the title, I became hooked. Two years later, they became the only top-flight English team in the last 135 years to go through a season without a loss (26 wins, 12 draws). That's very hard to do; Bayer Leverkusen managed it in Germany this season but only played 34 matches. Arsenal had a bad slump for 7-8 years but are now definitely challenging Man City for the top, finishing two points behind this year (the difference of a win vs. a draw in one match). Also, Arsenal has more FA Cup titles than any other club

Liverpool have loads of tradition, Anfield is an awesome atmosphere and You'll Never Walk Alone is a cool stadium tradition.

Chelsea is another team that bought championships with Russian money (and I don't even want to think about where that came from). Since that owner was banished and the club sold to an American group, they can't seem to find their rear end with both hands; still spending a ton of money but spinning their wheels.

There is no good reason whatsoever to support that other team in North London unless you like frustration. Spuds hasn't won anything of note since a League Cup title in 2008. They do have an awesome new stadium, though, which you see frequently on NFL London games.

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024. Final review here: FFG review

19 minutes ago, Preeway said:

I’ve been an Everton fan for a long time and every team has deep traditions. I’ll casually watch/root for English teams with American players like Leeds but the only team I’ll truly support is Everton. Just wish there was an Everton bar in Omaha. 

Plus Paul McCartney grew up an Everton fan, so there's that. But Ringo Starr is a Gunner. George Harrison and John Lennon had no known interest, although John's dad and George's son were/are both LFC supporters,

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024. Final review here: FFG review

3 hours ago, Preeway said:

I’ve been an Everton fan for a long time and every team has deep traditions. I’ll casually watch/root for English teams with American players like Leeds but the only team I’ll truly support is Everton. Just wish there was an Everton bar in Omaha. 

Logging one vote for Everton. I recall they had an American in goal some years back. 

image.png.ec65754993cb81a3d0a7d15c70ab8fd1.png  Anyday Maverick Black Ops 7-way

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Fujikura Motore X F3

:PXG:0211 Hybrid 3 19° w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 70

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

image.png.0f5b009ff3d83fdae5e2e361f9676226.png DF3 w/BGT Stability ONE Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:titleist-small: Pro V1 

:Clicgear: 3.5+

Tests No Longer in the Bag

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

3 hours ago, ILMgolfnut said:

No, Wrexham isn't in the Prem yet, although they've climbed two rungs of a four-rung ladder in two years. Neither is Sunderland. Or AFC Richmond for that matter. Leeds was there a couple of years ago but got relegated.

The Prem is regarded as a Big Six (Manchester City, Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and that other team in North London) and everyone else. 

ManU is kind of like the Yankees of the Prem. Tons of money, and they'd really have to screw up not to be competitive. For the last few years, that's exactly what they've done, although they somehow managed to win the FA Cup this year. But they have a new controlling owner who actually seems to have a clue, so we'll see if they regain their perch.

Man City is very controversial. Owned by an Arab oil tycoon, endless supply of money. They currently face charges of 115 violations of Financial Fair Play rules, designed to keep clubs from buying championships. This case has dragged out forever but is expected to be settled in 2015; it's even theoretically possible that MCFC could be relegated as punishment, although I consider that highly unlikely. In the meantime, they've won the Prem four straight years, so they have actually bought championships. (Newcastle is also owned by Arab oil money, specifically the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia, and are considered by many to be an example of sportswashing, just like that other PIF venture, LIV Golf.)

I became an Arsenal supporter 20+ years ago when I wanted someone other than ManU to win. When the Gunners beat ManU at ManU in 2002 to win the title, I became hooked. Two years later, they became the only top-flight English team in the last 135 years to go through a season without a loss (26 wins, 12 draws). That's very hard to do; Bayer Leverkusen managed it in Germany this season but only played 34 matches. Arsenal had a bad slump for 7-8 years but are now definitely challenging Man City for the top, finishing two points behind this year (the difference of a win vs. a draw in one match). Also, Arsenal has more FA Cup titles than any other club

Liverpool have loads of tradition, Anfield is an awesome atmosphere and You'll Never Walk Alone is a cool stadium tradition.

Chelsea is another team that bought championships with Russian money (and I don't even want to think about where that came from). Since that owner was banished and the club sold to an American group, they can't seem to find their rear end with both hands; still spending a ton of money but spinning their wheels.

There is no good reason whatsoever to support that other team in North London unless you like frustration. Spuds hasn't won anything of note since a League Cup title in 2008. They do have an awesome new stadium, though, which you see frequently on NFL London games.

Thanks! Love this level of detail. I must say I do like the idea of "You'll Never Walk Alone". Can't side with the sportswashing money. Not a LIV fan at all. Greg and Phil are wankers. I think this is correct vernacular for this discussion of the English Premier League. I may be leaning to the lads from Liverpool.

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

image.png.0f5b009ff3d83fdae5e2e361f9676226.png DF3 w/BGT Stability ONE Forum Test

9 minutes ago, Northern Monkey said:

I’m a Newcastle supporter, and always have been, so there is absolutely no way that I could recommend you support Sunderland 🤣

Most people end up supporting a specific team due to some personal connection, for me Newcastle was my local big team. We are starting to come back from some rather frustrating years under the previous owner and although the new owners are controversial, being Saudis, they have improved the club. Due to the financial fair play rules they haven’t been able to just throw loads of money at the club, as was the case previously with Man City. 
If I was in your position I’d go for the club that I could find something that I could relate to with them. 

I fully respect your take on Sunderland. As San Francisco 49ers fan, I feel the same about the Seattle Seahawks. It also didn't help that I lived in Seattle for 17 years. 😂

57 minutes ago, MattWillGolf said:

Logging one vote for Everton. I recall they had an American in goal some years back. 

One of the greatest, ever

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Velocore+ Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Pro X3+