Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Walking vs Riding

I prefer walking, but age, injuries, surgical repairs/replacements, etc have limited that pleasure. I can walk nine, even on a hilly track, without trouble.

Besides exercise, walking lets me clear the last shot (if needed) and allow me to plan/focus on the next. It’s a nice ‘’mental floss” as well - letting me enjoy the day and vistas.

Carts can become a “necessary evil,” but I’d rather not play “microwave golf” in a conga line.

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

Greetings. The benefits of walking are so many I might not remember them all here. As you are walking towards the green from the tee you can survey the target. Really consider pin locations and trouble around the green. I see guys drive up in a golf car (not cart) and shoot the distance and fire. They never consider anything except distance to the pin. Stats show the average distance on tour from 150 yards to the pin for a green hit is over 25 feet you might want to consider more than just distance. After you have reach the green it is customary to drop your bag off on the exit side of the green. This allows for you to combine what your feet tell you along with what you eyes tell you. 

An aspect of walking that I so prefer is I go straight to my ball. I don't have to wait to be dropped off or roped into spending too much time looking for someone else's ball that we all know is long gone. TAKE A DROP ******. (I'm talking to my playing partners) I can go straight to my ball and have time to make a good shot selection without holding up progress. 

That is another thing that needs to be dispelled. Riders always say walkers hold up pace. That is total bullshit. I remember a foursome of riders came to me after we finished complaining my foursome of walkers pushed them too hard. He was being funny of course because he knew they were holding us up. Every player in my group that day was walking straight to their ball ready to play. We waited on most of the holes that day. 

Opinion alert: I see golf cars as a detriment to the game. They are huge revenue for the courses (I work at a golf course) so they will never go away but they allow non golfers to ride around consuming alcohol with no regard of pace of play or etiquette. An etiquette example: have you ever seen large and deep ruts in the turf caused by walking? I have seen it from golf cars. Have you ever seen worn out areas of turf from walking? I have seen it from golf cars. Also if you took away golf cars the bullshit hackers who hit a small bucket off every tee would not play. Can anyone say "nirvana"? 

Now obviously not everyone who rides in a golf car is a hacker with no etiquette. That said the high percentage of guys you would not want to play with or play behind again are in golf cars. How many times have you asked a group ahead to pick up the pace and were told "I paid my green fee! I'm not rushing for anyone!" My experience has been that walkers are traditionalists who realize everyone paid their green fee. And the traditionalists want to be part of the solution to everyone getting around in under 4.5 hours.  

Maybe I have been blessed with a club whose members are unique or maybe the game needs more traditionalists to keep it moving forward. 

fast player

I retired recently, and I’ve walked using my electric push cart all but a handful of the 63 18-hole rounds that I’ve played so far this year. I live in Colorado and my home course  is designed for walking. The past 2-weeks has been hot with temps >95 degrees, but the majority of our golf season is <80 degrees. When walking I stay hydrated and add electrolytes to my water to help prevent fatigue & muscle cramping. I believe I play better walking than riding a cart. My favorite golf rounds are played with 4 walkers. The flow of the round is better and by the time I get to ball I’m usually not waiting for the group in front of me to clear out of the way. In competitive rounds, I think it’s unfair for walkers to compete with cart riders. In my golf club, it’s become obvious to me that the majority of cart riders, if forced to walk, couldn’t compete with the majority of walkers. There’s a reason why the NCAA & PGA don’t allow players to ride a cart during competition as it potentially gives riders an unfair advantage. It’s understandable for golfers to ride carts if you’re physical condition prevents you from walking, however, I see way to many younger golfers riding carts instead of walking. I believe it takes a commitment to get in shape enough to walk golf courses and would love to see golfers capable of walking to walk instead of riding golf carts. 

Don Figgins

So far in my golf journey I've been a rider. I had just assumed a cart helps speed things up, but I'm finding it can really slow things down as well. If it's not Cart Path Only, and I have my own cart then yes I do find I play a lot faster.

However, that is rarely the case as they try to book as many people as possible to a tee time. Having to zigzag across the course between various balls is not only time consuming, but it can be very distracting for me. I have a more comfortable bag now, and I'd like to start walking with it and see if that helps me stay more focused. Only thing holding me back is the summer heat, but hopefully walk an early 9 here soon.

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

I really wish that I could walk and play again, but upon the advice of my doctor, at my age 77, I ride at cart and enjoy the wonderful game of golf.  With hips and pulmonary issues makes it very difficult.  I follow my doctor's advice.  If you have the physical ability to walk, please do so.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

I love to walk a course. We have two of the Spokane city courses that have some tough hills and make for a long day we tend to get a cart for those. Other than that we typically walk courses, unless it’s in the 90’s*

GVetter

I enjoy walking and it does make for a different experience. I got a push cart last year for Xmas and it's great. My home course sets up well for walking and unlike most courses in Florida is not woven through a bunch of houses. Now when it gets unbearable during the late summer, I'll take a cart. The joy is that i'm walking the other 10 months of the year. 

Driver:  :titleist-small:  TSi2 9*  :Fuji: Ventus Black 6S

Fairway: :titleist-small: TSi2 15*  :Fuji: Speeder Evo III 70S

Utility: :titleist-small: T-200 3 Iron  :Fuji: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Irons: :titleist-small: 620CB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 4-6

Irons:  :titleist-small: 620MB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 7-PW

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM9 50/08F 56/12S 60/04T

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2+ 34" 

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 #31 (Currently Ball Testing)

I had a motorcycle wreck that messed up my ankle prior to learning to golf. Found that I was spraining that ankle often walking my first year. Then was asked to play in a scramble, we rode and I enjoyed the day much more than walking. Golf courses are not flat, all kinds of holes, dips, and stuff to trip on, not to mention hills and dales. I did not start golfing to exercise. Besides it makes the game move along at a better pace, If I owned a course it would be cart only. 

Typically I prefer to walk with a push cart. When it's super hot, have an injury/ache, or a course that has significant distance between holes, then ride. Sadly, as I get older, the number of ache's are increasing.

Titleist TSR2 Driver, Taylaor Made M5-3w, M6-3H,4H, Sim2 5-PW, Vokey SM9  50,54, 58 

22 hours ago, Dibb said:

I'd like to get people's opinions on walking vs riding. This is obviously a broad topic, considering there are a lot of factors like weather, walking ability, etc. Just wanted to see everyone's take on it. I play with a Saturday group where i would say 80% of the people walk with a push cart, and I think most of them do it for exercise given their age and life style outside the course. But being a younger member of the group and living in South Texas, I don't find it enjoyable to walk in 100* weather especially if I'm carrying my bag. All thoughts are much appreciated!

Walking at the courses I play in Myrtle Beach area is mostly not allowed. Obviously, the heat is a major factor here ins SC.  I do try to walk to some shots especially if it's a good weather day.

:taylormade-small:Taylormade R1 driver (set to 9 degrees)
:taylormade-small: Taylormade SLDR driver 10.5 degrees
:callaway-small: Callaway big bertha 3 wood
:wilson-small: Wilson 5 wood
:taylormade-small:Taylormade Aeoburner irons (5-pw)
:taylormade-small:Taylormade 52 degree wedge
Ping knock-off sand Wedge
Warrior 60 degree wedge
Trutech putter

Where I live we actually have a decent mix of walking and riding. I am 43. I ride due to my back.  Granted I never did really walk courses much as living in PA we also have a lot of elevation changes as well. That also plays a factor when walking in my opinion as well as weather and temps as has already been stated. 

A lot of courses do not allow golfers to walk on weekends around here to keep pace of play up as well.  

All that being said.....I always opt to be the passenger so I can throw my clubs on the cart, hit my tee shot, ride to it then grab what I need and walk the rest of the way from there and finish the hole while who I'm playing with takes the cart and we meet up at the green. 😉

Mike 

I am 76 years old.  Back in the day, there was nothing I liked better than putting the bag on my shoulder and walking 18 holes.  As I got older, I moved to a push cart, and then an electric caddy (Club Runner).  Years and multiple surgeries have made walking prohibitive.  I wouldn't be playing if I couldn't take a cart, even though walking and carrying would be my preferred mode.  I envy those who can still walk and carry.  But I love the game more so I ride, because I have to.

I grew up walking.  My grandfather, who was a scratch player into his 60s, said walking was part of the game.  He told me often that when he got too old to walk the course he'd quit.  He did at age 82.

I walked as often as courses would allow me to until about 2015 when both injury and change in the courses in my normal rota forced me into a cart.  

Two of the courses I normally play are in communities where walking a round would be 8-9 miles.  One other has mandatory carts.  I'd love to get back to walking, and love it even more if caddies were available.

Driver; Callaway RAZR Fit

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I walk my morning rounds, and all through the off season when it is 100% cart path only.  I ride in a cart when I have guests who aren't used to walking or don't have the right bag setup for it, it's 100 degrees out, or my wife is playing with me (so once a week or so).

I find I play better when I walk, more time to consider my shot, calm down after a bad shot, etc.  It's also so much faster than a cart when it's path only 4 months out of the year.  Plus, more walking is a good thing for my health.  I do occasionally grab a cart for the back nine when it's hot or my asthma acts up though.

:callaway-logo-1:Mavrik 10.5* :projectx: HZRDS T800 Orange 60 6.0

:taylormade-small: RocketBallz Stage 2 3W

:mizuno-small:ST-Z 5W :projectx: EvenFlow 5.5

:srixon-small: ZX Utility 23*, UST Recoil F3

:titleist-small:T300 :projectx: LZ 5.5, 5-PW

:mizuno-small: T22 Copper Denim :truetemper: DG R300, 52* 56*

:vokey-small: SM9 :truetemper: DG R300, 60*

:odyssey-small: Strokelabs One

:vice: Pro Soft

Its a trap! OP is obviously trying to get people eliminated from the Stitch bag testing selection pool. 🤣

Joking aside, it comes down to the course. In Utah, there are a lot of mountain style courses. Walking them is just not a pleasant experience and leaves you aching and dying. If I'm playing a flatter course in Salt Lake, I tend to walk and just enjoy the little bit more thinking time between shots. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

9 out of 10 times, it's walking for me ... and I play about 4 to 7 strokes better on avg when I walk vs riding. Most especially if it's a cart path only day at the course. 

As a rhythm and tempo player, I'm just better able to maintain and keep my focus & rhythm during my pre-shot routines. And I don't know, but I'm just way more focused and vested into every shot out on the course when I walk. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

Studies have shown that golfers walking with a caddie or a push cart tend to shoot better scores. I always walk except when playing very hilly courses or resort courses with very long transitions. I live in Palm Springs so I know hot weather. On hot days (above 105) if I can't get out early I will take a cart. I feel like the pace when walking is just better. You will wait to hit less often and the walking gives you time to get over the lousy shot you just hit. If you walk, get a push cart. On average walkers that carry will shoot higher scores. I don't know why but there is data to back it up. 

Good info on the benefits of walking: https://thewalkinggolfer.com/

Steven "Marty" Grant

I am like many of the people here saying they draw the line at about 90-95 depending on the humidity. I am in Oklahoma and we have 100 plus right now. But spring and fall we all walk and I have really nice remote controlled Cart Tek electric cart that I love. Made in Oregon by a family business and it works excellently for the price. My club has walkers, mostly older folks trying to stay in shape. I was one of the first ones to use an remote controlled electric cart. I added the Alphard E-wheels v1 to my model 8 (4 wheel) Clicgear cart. Still have it and my wife uses it. Walking is as fast as riding since everyone is going to their ball independently rather than everyone riding together all over the place hitting shots and getting yardages etc... When it's cart path only, it's actually faster. Mine has almost every accessory you can hang on one. Cooler, phone mount, GPS mount, Sand bottle, speaker etc... and it's got a nice 27-36 hole lithium battery. Picture was on a pretty crappy day that was spitting rain for a few holes. But umbrella kept me dry and all was good. 

IMG_1196.JPG

Edited by Gopokes14

Cart: image.png.50e429cab7658fa55a7699ecf1a9bc3b.pngElectric Cart Tek 1500

Driver: :ping-small: G430 LST  10.5  Mitsubishi Kai Li white 60 stiff

3 wood: :ping-small: G430 15 Mitsubishi Kai Li white 67 stiff

3 &4 hybrid:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gif0311 Gen 5 Mitsubishi MMT 80 stiff

Irons 5-GW:  pxg-logo.gif.f353978c9ce9413281f838c1a44b4b8e.gifPXG Gen 3 0311T Steelfiber 115 

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 6’s gw 50.8, sw 56.8, lob 62.8)

Putter: :odyssey-small: O-Works Red Versa #7S slant neck

Ball:  vice golf.png Vice Pro bridgestone_logo.jpg.4e27c12bc4cae05babb1372e71a3f149.jpg RXS

I love to walk, but with a push cart, it's nice not being dog tired by the end of a round.  That being said I've played a lot of courses that are not meant to walk, and you aren't allowed to either.  Riding can be fun though and I'm not wiped by the end of the round when it's hot.

In general I will walk in any conditions. When I take a cart I really prefer it to be when I am the first one out as a single and fairways are ok. I enjoy a quick 1 1/2 hour round now and then😃

:honma: Driver, 3W & 5H

:taylormade-small: P790 4-PW S-Taper S

:benhogan-small: 50, 54, 58

:odyssey-small: 7S

23 hours ago, Dibb said:

I'd like to get people's opinions on walking vs riding. This is obviously a broad topic, considering there are a lot of factors like weather, walking ability, etc. Just wanted to see everyone's take on it. I play with a Saturday group where i would say 80% of the people walk with a push cart, and I think most of them do it for exercise given their age and life style outside the course. But being a younger member of the group and living in South Texas, I don't find it enjoyable to walk in 100* weather especially if I'm carrying my bag. All thoughts are much appreciated!

Wow - a polarizing topic for sure.

I am 61 and started playing when I was 10.  For me if you rode in a cart you were a (insert derogatory term).  I stopped carrying my bag quite a while ago because I would notice effects towards the latter end of the round and I would sweat way more. I use an electric remote cart and it is awesome.

If you ride in a cart, do you ever play a shot with the wrong club because you do not want to go back to the cart or wait for your cart partner (cartner) to come back with your clubs?  You grab clubs but not the right one for that shot.

I also feel rushed in a riding cart - If I am the only one in the cart it would work better, but I lose the feel for the course in a riding cart - especially cartpath only. A lot of my shot starts as I am walking to the ball and noticing the surroundings and I am in a better state of mind.

I walk unless forced to ride.

When I was younger I used the 85 degree rule: Under 85, I walked and carried, above it and I rode.  I've gotten back to walking in the past 18 months as my daughters take up the game but I can't carry anymore.  My back gives out after just a few holes with all the elevation change we have here in Western Pennsylvania.  It's a lot for my daughters to carry so I have been shopping for used Bag Boy carts for all of us.   However in many instances the pace of play is so slow I prefer to take a cart when I am playing with my friends.  Being out there for 5 hrs, I like having the comfortable seat and shade in all conditions.  I'd be more inclined to walk if people didn't play so slow.

Titleist TS3 9 deg Grafalloy Pro Launch Red Supercharged - regular

TaylorMade SIM Titanium 3 wood Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue Supercharged - regular

Titleist TSi 2 5 wood Tensei Blue - regular

Titleist TS2 hybrid 23 deg Tensei Blue - regular

Callaway Apex 21 irons 5-PW KBS Max 80 regular

Cleveland CBX ZipCore 49 deg gap wedge Project X 5.5 shaft

Titleist Vokey SM4 54/8 deg sand wedge Project X 5.5 shaft

Cleveland RTX ZipCore 58/8 deg lob wedge Project X 5.5 shaft

Odyssey 2-ball blade DFX putter with UST frequency filtered shaft and Winn 1.38 grip

I would love to walk, but Texas weather is not really kind to walkers. Plus the guys I usually play with are pretty much 100% riders. 

Also a factor is that I love to play at a lot of hill country style courses with a lot of up and down elevation. 

I always thought I could be more apt to walk during the cool months of the year. I just need to find a group or league that is geared for walkers.

Edited by digitaltexan

In my  :callaway-small: 2018 Org14 Cart Bag I have:

:callaway-small: Epic Max 10.5°

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Fairway 3W 15° & 5W 18°, Project X Even Flow 65-R

:callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3-H 18° (+2° set to 20°), Steelfiber fc-75

:callaway-small: 2019 Big Bertha 4-PW, UST Mamiya Recoil ZT9 460 Graphite

:callaway-small: 2019 PM Grind Tour Grey 56/14, JAWS MD5 52/10

:odyssey-small: Triple Track DoubleWide, Stroke Lab 32in shaft, SuperStroke WristLock Grip

:callaway-small: Chrome Soft Yellow, Triple Track, Truvis, Supersoft, Kirkland 3-piece

I'm 67, retired and in pretty good shape.  I use a pushcart whenever I can.  My home course is relatively flat and easy to walk.  Last year I  tried carrying my clubs and found that I can either carry or play, but not both.  I was totally wiped out midway through the back 9.  I'll ride if the weather looks like it'll be drizzling or spotty rain.  Some courses I play are simply too hilly to push or walk comfortably, so I ride.  If it's too hot and humid, I ride.  I'm not going to prove my "toughness" by walking - I want to have a fun round and not feel like I've just hiked over the continental divide or through the jungles of Borneo.  Also, when my playing partner needs to ride, I will usually ride too.

Lousy golfer, but playing makes me happy.😀

WITB:
PXG Proto 0811X+ Driver
PXG Proto 0341X 5W
PXG Proto 0317X 22deg and 25deg Hybrids
PXG Gen3 0311XP irons 5-GW (5i only for chipping from under trees 😕)
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52deg & 56deg wedges
Putter-PXG Gunboat w/Superstroke regrip + others I design and mill from super-dense wood.

For decades I walked and carried, then moved to a push cart.  Few years ago I converted a fat bike (now a fat e-bike) into my golf rig using Divnik golf bag carrier.  It's freaking awesome.  I ride the 3.5 miles from my house, ride it on the course, then ride the bike home.  Sometimes I still do walk, like if it's going to rain.  Couple years ago I moved from a push cart to an electric push with remote.  So much less strain on the lower back and shoulders and way more like playing with a caddy than a regular push cart.  The BatCaddy e-push cart works great for me.

I, personally, don't like riding in a cart.  I feel that you don't get the same flow of the game and that my back tends to tighten up while riding.  I don't find the same tightness when riding my bike or walking.  

I was such a trend setter that my buddy copied the carrier on his fat bike.

image.png.07d8b4832fa2f3fb6e75c0f7ba5d3694.png

I am an avid walker, I find myself more immersed in the golf course and the walk between shots gives time to process the last shot and plan for the next one.

Also the golf extra cost of a power cart for someone who plays almost daily can be very high.

I use a 4 wheel cart, I absolutely love it. I feel like I’m more prepared when I am waking. I plan ahead better to ensure proper attire and properly stock my golf bag before leaving the house. I’m not sure why I throw planning out the window if I know I’m riding! Lol

I recommend walking just for the extra intimacy with the course but however you do it make sure you’re having fun!!

Cheers,

Travis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_1135.jpg

Golf addict, try to play everyday if I can.