Nick Dunlap Wins The American Express as Amateur-WITB

Golfspy_CG2

Note his shaft length on his driver....

Does he go back to school after this? NIL money? Turn pro? what would you do?

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Just now, StrokerAce said:

Note his shaft length on his driver....

Does he go back to school after this? NIL money? Turn pro? what would you do?

Seems hard to go back even with the PGA Tour U. He is in all the fields, I even saw with this he might get in the signature events. Clearly hot might be best to capitalize you never know if next year he is not as sharp and struggles versus getting some things locked up if he is feeling in a good place.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

6 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Seems hard to go back even with the PGA Tour U. He is in all the fields, I even saw with this he might get in the signature events. Clearly hot might be best to capitalize you never know if next year he is not as sharp and struggles versus getting some things locked up if he is feeling in a good place.

Yeah that course they were playing seemed pretty "playable". Wonder how he'd do during the sig events where the courses are much tougher? 

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

The crazy thing is if he turns pro he has ZERO Fed Ex Cup points (even though he just won). Helps that he would be in the signature events though. I think based on his Am career and this past week, he is probably one of the 125 best golfers in the world right now. Would rather see him get starts than some of the guys outside of the Top 125 that are using major medicals or other career exemptions to get in to a lot of these events. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

Luke Kerr-Dineen suggested this and I agree; there should be something to reward him for the win; $$, FedEx points...

I don't understand why they can't defer Dunlap's check until when/if he turns pro. Assuming that would break some silly made up rule, but that seems like a fair way of doing it!

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

If I was him, I would stay AM at least through the end of the college seeason.  Sure he's able to play in the Masters either way  But if he plays as the US AM Champ, he'll get to stay in the Crows Nest.  From all accounts that's a once in a lifetime opportunity,  no matter how many times he goes back as a pro he wouldn't be able to do that.  And now days with the NIL it's not like he's missing out on  the money aspect at all.   I'm sure there are plenty of U of A donors that would send some his way 🙂

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I didn't see anything that really "blew my skirt up" other than he was as long and as straight and as good a putter as the other 2 golfers in his group. Neither JT or Burns really put the heat on him. 

As far as turning pro, if that is his ultimate goal then do it now, college golf isn't going to make him any better. 

committed to performance excellence

18 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

If I was him, I would stay AM at least through the end of the college seeason.  Sure he's able to play in the Masters either way  But if he plays as the US AM Champ, he'll get to stay in the Crows Nest.  From all accounts that's a once in a lifetime opportunity,  no matter how many times he goes back as a pro he wouldn't be able to do that.  And now days with the NIL it's not like he's missing out on  the money aspect at all.   I'm sure there are plenty of U of A donors that would send some his way 🙂

I agree with this. Maintain that amateur status as long as you can because once you give it up you can never get it back.

BigMacQue
Titleist Driver and Hybrid
Titleist T400 Irons, 5-GW
Vokey Wedges, 50 and 56
Cleveland Launcher 3 Wood and Cleveland 10.5C HB Soft Putter
Titleist Tour Soft

Saw this thread and wanted to say ROLL TIDE and good to see a kid form Huntvsille, AL do well on the tour!!

Also, kid has nerves of steel but always has. He has won the Junior Am, beat Gordon Seargant more then once, and continues to play his heart out for the US in the walker cup and other events. He is as good as they get. He plays very good, smart, boring golf (which is a complement). 

I would not blame him if he goes pro, but I would love to see him win the NCAAs one time to put him in some very elite company/air. He still would get to play in major events this year, and with the NIL, I'm sure he is making enough money form his sponorships with TM and Adidas. 

Samuel Hanvey 

He doesn't have to make a decision until the end of 24' and I would think with all the NIL money about to come his way, what other benefit is there.  Prior to the NIL being around, I would absolutely say take the card and turn pro and ride the train. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

With the way NIL deals are now working at the college ranks, one has to wonder whether or not the USGA will potentially look into amateurs not having to forfeit winnings in the event that they do win a tournament. I understand it is few and far between, but the line has been blurred with the rise of NIL (which I do not think is a bad thing fwiw).

I'm sure there would be some significant push back, but who knows. It also may be something that does never see a change.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

4 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

With the way NIL deals are now working at the college ranks, one has to wonder whether or not the USGA will potentially look into amateurs not having to forfeit winnings in the event that they do win a tournament. I understand it is few and far between, but the line has been blurred with the rise of NIL (which I do not think is a bad thing fwiw).

I'm sure there would be some significant push back, but who knows. It also may be something that does never see a change.

I kind of disagree ...... the NIL the way it is currently structured, including the use of the portal, has turned college sports into a perpetual state of free agency. In professional sports, free agency is bound by terms within a contract; in college sports the portal sings and the athlete answers and if the gaining institution can guarantee some NIL money then the athlete takes the money and runs.  

I agree with compensation for the athletes for the school making money off of their persona, but more work needs to be done to bring the NIL, the portal and the intent of college sports in line.  Your point is valid though:  the USGA could sit down and work out an arrangement that benefits the athletes, the school, the organization and at this point - considering not many golfers are entering the portal - have an opportunity to maybe create a model that all of college sports could turn to.

BigMacQue
Titleist Driver and Hybrid
Titleist T400 Irons, 5-GW
Vokey Wedges, 50 and 56
Cleveland Launcher 3 Wood and Cleveland 10.5C HB Soft Putter
Titleist Tour Soft

52 minutes ago, BigMacQue said:

I kind of disagree ...... the NIL the way it is currently structured, including the use of the portal, has turned college sports into a perpetual state of free agency. In professional sports, free agency is bound by terms within a contract; in college sports the portal sings and the athlete answers and if the gaining institution can guarantee some NIL money then the athlete takes the money and runs.  

I agree with compensation for the athletes for the school making money off of their persona, but more work needs to be done to bring the NIL, the portal and the intent of college sports in line.  Your point is valid though:  the USGA could sit down and work out an arrangement that benefits the athletes, the school, the organization and at this point - considering not many golfers are entering the portal - have an opportunity to maybe create a model that all of college sports could turn to.

It has turned into a free for all that they do need to reign in, especially in football. It sounded like A LOT of coaches expressed a desire to restructure the transfer portal window, etc. and I hope they do. How much of the transfer frenzy has to do with NIL explicitly remains to be seen. I am sure for the big programs it plays a role. The biggest issue I have with it are the kids who go somewhere, don’t play immediately, so just transfer. There’s zero accountability with how it goes right now. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

5 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

It has turned into a free for all that they do need to reign in, especially in football. It sounded like A LOT of coaches expressed a desire to restructure the transfer portal window, etc. and I hope they do. How much of the transfer frenzy has to do with NIL explicitly remains to be seen. I am sure for the big programs it plays a role. The biggest issue I have with it are the kids who go somewhere, don’t play immediately, so just transfer. There’s zero accountability with how it goes right now. 

It's an absolute mess.  Look at the bowl games/playoffs and students entering before the last games were played and then have to sit out or don't play.  Make it one time slot after the season or right before and that's it.  

2 hours ago, Samuel09152 said:

Saw this thread and wanted to say ROLL TIDE and good to see a kid form Huntvsille, AL do well on the tour!!

Also, kid has nerves of steel but always has. He has won the Junior Am, beat Gordon Seargant more then once, and continues to play his heart out for the US in the walker cup and other events. He is as good as they get. He plays very good, smart, boring golf (which is a complement). 

I would not blame him if he goes pro, but I would love to see him win the NCAAs one time to put him in some very elite company/air. He still would get to play in major events this year, and with the NIL, I'm sure he is making enough money form his sponorships with TM and Adidas. 

War Eagle to you neighbor

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

11 minutes ago, Samuel09152 said:

Glad to meet you neighbor! Didn’t realize someone from Huntsville was on here beside me and a couple friends I’ve been pushing here!

I am down the road in Muscle Shoals 30-40 minutes even with with Huntsvegas traffic but do stray up your way a lot. 

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

52 minutes ago, Fred Mitchell said:

War Eagle to you neighbor

Well well.   RTR!  😆  welcome.to the golf chais Fred

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Dunlap has decided to withdraw from the next tournament and go back to school. Very grounded individual,  and hope he finishes school before jumping to pro

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

I will offer this personal observation. Some years ago, my nephew had the chance to be offered a contract with a major league team. He stands/stood 6'4" 220 lbs left handed pitcher. Long story short he decided to stay in school and as luck/fate would have it, somehow he contracted a debilitating health problem. So as the saying goes, "Tomorrow is not promised, so all we have is today". In all honesty, college golfers on scholarship are being paid to play golf and at least in my mind are already pro's. He can always go back to school to complete his degree if he so desires, but his game as it stands right now is at it's most likely apex and he should again IMO, run with it while he can. No one knows how long it may last so another saying - "Strike while the iron is hot"..........

Total Callaway bag - except putter

23 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

He has until the 2026 season to declare pro and get the same exemptions. If he turns pro now he loses his spot in The Open.

He has several windows on when he can turn pro and receive the benefits of this win. Most come with a 30 day period to decide. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

7 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

He has until the 2026 season to declare pro and get the same exemptions. If he turns pro now he loses his spot in The Open.

He has several windows on when he can turn pro and receive the benefits of this win. Most come with a 30 day period to decide. 

Exemptions perhaps, but I believe the spot in the Crows Nest is only good as long as he's the reigning US AM Champ. It is limited to invite only and the invites are usually tied to the winners of particular high level AM events, so he'd have to qualify via those again to be invited.   Unless of course they change their invitation lists, which they certainly can do at their whim. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Exemptions perhaps, but I believe the spot in the Crows Nest is only good as long as he's the reigning US AM Champ. It is limited to invite only and the invites are usually tied to the winners of particular high level AM events, so he'd have to qualify via those again to be invited.   Unless of course they change their invitation lists, which they certainly can do at their whim. 

Yeah once he turns pro he loses that because to my understanding he will be playing the masters as a pga winner and not the US AM champ. So with that and the guaranteed spot in The Open it makes sense to stay as an am

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

20240125_091753.jpg.1dcfc3b623bac07d4048db80b742db63.jpg

20240125_092413.jpg.b8d604bc441e82d66e1cb14e12630e26.jpg

Well, guess he made his decision!

Edited by Rob Person

Newest rumor that since his decision to turn pro, and the management company he signed with has LIV tour players in their fold, he could possibly go to LIV. My guess is that, if there is any validity to the rumor, that everything could/would depend upon the size of the suitcase filled with money. It's also rumored that Rahm is looking to fill his team and that bringing him into the fold would be a major set back for the PGA tour. 

Total Callaway bag - except putter

On 1/22/2024 at 1:39 PM, Jnoble89 said:

It has turned into a free for all that they do need to reign in, especially in football.

They can't legally rein it in until they admit what we already know -- that college athletes, especially in the Power Five/Four conferences in football and basketball, are employees of the school. And then they would have to collectively bargain such limits with a union of college athletes. Any limits otherwise violate federal antitrust law, and the federal courts, all the way up to SCOTUS, have shown that they are receptive to holding the NCAA accountable for such violations. Congress has shown no inclination to bail the NCAA out of the mess it created.

Regarding Dunlap's decision to go pro, no surprise and I would have done the same. He went to Bama to get ready for the Tour, basically. And he's ready.

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

2 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Just read this.  I think it's a wise decision honestly.  

2 hours ago, Rob Person said:

As an Alabama fan this is bittersweet. Hate to see him go becasue of what he meant to the team and the talent he brought to the team, but love to see him flurish and grow. He is good enough and proved it. I'm excited to see what his future holds! ROLL TIDE NICK! 

Samuel Hanvey