Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Increasing Loft, Not just a TaylorMade Buzz Item

dru_

Anyone have any LM data on smash factor and how it is affected by adding loft?

I'm curious if the smash factor went down with the more loft that is added.

The vertical COG moving in line with the path of the clubhead, the energy transference is lessened with the added loft with how I am interpreting this design. The most effective transference of energy as it relates to this COG location would involve less loft, but the spin wouldn't be adequate enough to create lift. Adding loft adds that lift, but I am thinking it lowers the smash factor. Any info there someone can provide from these fittings?

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why in the world would smash factor decrease with loft? It's not like less of the ball is compressed with higher lofted drivers...

Because the most efficient transference of energy doesn't necessarily mean it equates to a shot with adequate spin to keep it airborne. That has to do with the COG location. The loft is creating a more glancing blow to add spin, which if my suspicions are correct, means the smash factor goes down as the loft goes up. It's a more glancing contact the more loft you add so that you can get enough spin to create lift to overcome the forward COG location. The fastest ball speed and best smash factors I believe would come with the lower lofts in this club, but they won't have enough spin and wouldn't be a proper "golf shot."

That's why I said I think SLDR is basically first gen tech with this COG location and that to really bring its potential out at it related to moving the COG forward, it still has to be moved DOWN as well more to create more lift for the shot. If anyone has a pic of the proto from that loft up event, it would be interesting to see. I have my suspicions as to what it would look like, and would involve taking the now more forward COG more downward/lower in the head to help impart lift. Not sure they can do that with a "traditional" looking design, (if you can call what we have now "traditional" in any sense.) I am envisioning two ports that almost extend down beyond where the "sole" of the driver would be to help get the COG where it needs to be with this forward COG location so that loft isn't needed to impart spin and take away from the transference of energy.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Cobra - 1.44

SLDR - 1.43

Thanks. Is that in varying lofts and the "best" that you came away with using SLDR?

"Glute Activator"

Because the most efficient transference of energy doesn't necessarily mean it equates to a shot with adequate spin to keep it airborne. That has to do with the COG location. The loft is creating a more glancing blow to add spin, which if my suspicions are correct, means the smash factor goes down as the loft goes up. It's a more glancing contact the more loft you add so that you can get enough spin to create lift to overcome the forward COG location. The fastest ball speed and best smash factors I believe would come with the lower lofts in this club, but they won't have enough spin and wouldn't be a proper "golf shot."

That's why I said I think SLDR is basically first gen tech with this COG location and that to really bring its potential out at it related to moving the COG forward, it still has to be moved DOWN as well more to create more lift for the shot. If anyone has a pic of the proto from that loft up event, it would be interesting to see. I have my suspicions as to what it would look like, and would involve taking the now more forward COG more downward/lower in the head to help impart lift. Not sure they can do that with a "traditional" looking design, (if you can call what we have now "traditional" in any sense.) I am envisioning two ports that almost extend down beyond where the "sole" of the driver would be to help get the COG where it needs to be with this forward COG location so that loft isn't needed to impart spin and take away from the transference of energy.

We're not talking about comparing a driver and LW though. Hell, Wishon made a max smash factor 21.5* fairway a long time ago:

http://wishongolf.com/designs/fairway-woods/949mc/

As for the prototype, we weren't allowed to take pictures.

• SPY VIP

Anyone have any LM data on smash factor and how it is affected by adding loft?

I'm curious if the smash factor went down with the more loft that is added.

The vertical COG moving in line with the path of the clubhead, the energy transference is lessened with the added loft with how I am interpreting this design. The most effective transference of energy as it relates to this COG location would involve less loft, but the spin wouldn't be adequate enough to create lift. Adding loft adds that lift, but I am thinking it lowers the smash factor. Any info there someone can provide from these fittings?

It's not about loft. In this particular case it would be about spin loft. As we've covered, Spin loft is defined as the difference between Angle of Attack and Dynamic Loft (the loft delivered at impact).

As I said in my previous post, Trackman considers spin loft to be compression itself. The narrower (smaller number) the spin loft, the more compression (essentially smash factor) the more efficient the energy transfer (and part of that is lower spin).

Since one of the effects of low/forward CG is a decrease in dynamic loft, you shouldn't see a decrease in smash factor. 

Worth mentioning here as well, contrary to what many believe, proper fitting begins with angle of attack. If you don't know angle of attack, you cannot know ideal launch numbers for a given swing speed. 17/1700 is a great target, but for most of us it's still not practically attainable, so it's important to understand what is obtainable given your AoA and swing speed, and then go from there.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

That's averages of my existing driver (now my old driver) and the averages of the SLDR driver/shaft combo I ended up with.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

It's still about the COG and how loft is used to overcome the effects of the COG placement. The spin loft increases with the increase in the static loft, as that has an effect on the dynamic loft.

Well, can you describe the proto at the loft up event? What did it look like?

That's averages of my existing driver (now my old driver) and the averages of the SLDR driver/shaft combo I ended up with.

Thank you. That tends to back up my thoughts on this COG location and what happens to the energy transference/smash factor as loft is added. One will need a very good angle of attack to take advantage of this thing, which is a very small % of golfers.

"Glute Activator"

Oh, and that Wishon FW wood is high COR, not low/forward COG. In fact, it boasts a low/back COG according to their own product info.

Tapered Crown Wall Thickness Design gradually increases the wall thickness at the rear of the head to create a more rear CG position for slightly higher launch angle.

"Glute Activator"

The proto driver head looked normal.  Also the COG of the SLDR has been moved both forward and lower compared to their previous models.

And I still have no idea what mr_divots is arguing here.  Low/Forward creates less spin.  To gain the spin back you go up in loft.  Going up in loft with the same or less spin = longer drives.

it's a pretty simple equation Low Spin + High Launch = bombs that will still run.  Sure there are going to be outliers to any product.  Someone that it just doesn't work for, but I feel that the vast majority of golfers would benefit from higher launch and lower spin.

I'm not sure how this can still be argued against.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Talked with my pro - a TMag staffer and fitter - last year about the SLDR and he wasn't that crazy about it. Now that he's had the chance to be trained on how to fit for it, he's much more enthusiastic about the SLDR.  Big demo day here in MN next week - can't wait to check it out...

Barbajo,

I've been reading this thread thinking I need to check this out also, but wondering what fitters are going to know this... I completely forgot about the MN golf show next week until you just mentioned that. Nice call - now I'm REALLY looking forward to the show. If there is someone there that show me this will improve things for me, I'll be buying one on the spot.

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5&deg - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: mini 1.5 14° - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: XR OS 16 Hybrid (3-5) - Fubuki AT 55/60 regular shafts

:callaway-small: Apex (6-PW) - Recoil 65 F3 regular shafts 1°flat

:callaway-small: MD4 Tour Chrome wedges (50W/54S/58C) - S200 1°flat

:scotty-small: Futura X 34" - Superstroke Slim 3.0

We were talking smash factor according to loft. My point is the difference is minute at best.

• Forged, High Strength Steel Cup Face for high COR delivers the highest possible 1.49 smash factor  – never thought possible from a fairway wood.

Maybe that is what you are talking about. I'm talking about smash factor as it relates to COG and effective transference of energy. Just like with low/back COG, adding loft detracts from the efficiency of energy transfer.

The thing we are agreeing upon is that going either route, low/forward or low/back, the point at which you are decreasing loft to attain proper spin loft with a low/back COG isn't going to be far off from adding loft to a low/forward COG. The resulting feel between each will be different, and that will be related to the COG and how it aligns with the ball's COG at impact. I don't for a moment dispute the low/forward COG produces a lower spin rate. Just that by adding loft, you are now detracting from the efficiency whereby you are transferring the clubhead energy to the ball, and that is related to the COG location.

Anyone else that went to TM have smash factor #'s??

"Glute Activator"

Isn't that the goal though, higher launch with the same or lower spin = farther drives?  I'm not trying to be a fanboy, but I've seen the thing work in person.  I've hit it, and been fit for it, and picked up yardage while reducing deviation. 

Feel is always going to be a personal perception, but to me it's one of the best feeling drivers I've hit in the past 5 years.  That test sample includes plenty of previous TM products along with Adams, Callaway, Cleveland and Cobra.

I guess my concern with the posts you've made so far is that you are degrading the technology without giving it a chance to see the benefits, and no, hitting someone elses club during a round with the same loft you currently play doesn't count as giving it a chance.  You are certainly entitled to have your own opinion, and I applaud you standing up for what you believe in.  I just think you are wrong :)

Heck, I'd be willing to hit with a frozen dog turd on a broom handle if I can drive it farther. My swing mechanics have gotten much better - I don't hit the ball near as high or with as much spin as I did last year when I got fitted in a 7.5 degree 913 to get spin down.  I'm not kidding when I say I was over 4000rpm on my drive - just terrible. lol

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5&deg - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: mini 1.5 14° - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: XR OS 16 Hybrid (3-5) - Fubuki AT 55/60 regular shafts

:callaway-small: Apex (6-PW) - Recoil 65 F3 regular shafts 1°flat

:callaway-small: MD4 Tour Chrome wedges (50W/54S/58C) - S200 1°flat

:scotty-small: Futura X 34" - Superstroke Slim 3.0

Heck, I'd be willing to hit with a frozen dog turd on a broom handle if I can drive it farther. My swing mechanics have gotten much better - I don't hit the ball near as high or with as much spin as I did last year when I got fitted in a 7.5 degree 913 to get spin down.  I'm not kidding when I say I was over 4000rpm on my drive - just terrible. lol

Funny, as that is *exactly* as I have described this club's impact sensation, Mark. And it would net me 5 optimized yards at most. Not worth the impact feel for such a small return.

"Glute Activator"

Funny, as that is *exactly* as I have described this club's impact sensation, Mark. And it would net me 5 optimized yards at most. Not worth the impact feel for such a small return.

By optimized I'm assuming you mean hitting your buddy's club once or twice and deciding the entire technology is bunk and the club is crap?

I don't have those #

If the driver works it works. Maybe this drives just not for you.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Maybe that is what you are talking about. I'm talking about smash factor as it relates to COG and effective transference of energy. Just like with low/back COG, adding loft detracts from the efficiency of energy transfer.

The thing we are agreeing upon is that going either route, low/forward or low/back, the point at which you are decreasing loft to attain proper spin loft with a low/back COG isn't going to be far off from adding loft to a low/forward COG. The resulting feel between each will be different, and that will be related to the COG and how it aligns with the ball's COG at impact. I don't for a moment dispute the low/forward COG produces a lower spin rate. Just that by adding loft, you are now detracting from the efficiency whereby you are transferring the clubhead energy to the ball, and that is related to the COG location.

Your condescending tone aside, lets break it down into what you are talking about then:

First, what are the constants? smash factor, low CG (forward or rearward)

Really is the variable you are questioning forward CG with high loft vs rearwards CG with lower loft? I'm pretty sure T already addressed this.

For feel: yes, the driver feels different. There's more to it than just CG. The placement of materials and shape greatly affect feel. This is all subjective though. What I call crisp another will call harsh. Same goes for soft or mushy.

To think that a robot couldn't get 1.49 smash factor with *any* driver on the market today is a bit absurd. So are you talking about forgiveness (i.e. the size of the sweet spot and how quickly smash factor decreases from the center of the sweet spot)? Or are you talking about energy transfer on the perfect location of the sweet spot?

The numbers you mention make for interesting questions, but in the end I suspect differences smash factor as it relates to CG and loft will be entirely unnoticeable by the average golfer unless it affects the size of the sweet spot. This really boils down to practical vs theoretical knowledge. 9/10, practical is much more useful.

By optimized I'm assuming you mean hitting your buddy's club once or twice and deciding the entire technology is bunk and the club is crap?

Had you been fit previously? What gains did you see going to this club? And if you did realize any, how much was being in an ill-fitting driver previously? There are differences to be seen for sure for anyone who's driver is "off" in its specs for people.

I don't want to insinuate in any way anything is "crap" if I'm not fit into it. I just don't expect a loft/shaft change to drastically alter the way this club feels to me. I've tried two of the three lofts (just 12º to go) and two different shafts (Fuji stock and Oban White aftermarket.) When I can play 10.5 drivers in just about every other OEM's head, you can imagine how shocked I was feeling like a beginner with this thing in my hands. I honesly felt handicapped by this driver. NOTHING about it made me think, "ooh, if only I were optimized." And the one guy outright admitted he didn't like the thing either after hitting my G25 and said it was getting traded in the next day.

You guys will just have to deal with someone not being onboard the TM love-fest with this thing. My gosh. People used to be able to have an opinion on a golf board. Times sure have changed. (Free trips and goodies? Yep.)

"Glute Activator"

Had you been fit previously? What gains did you see going to this club? And if you did realize any, how much was being in an ill-fitting driver previously? There are differences to be seen for sure for anyone who's driver is "off" in its specs for people.

I don't want to insinuate in any way anything is "crap" if I'm not fit into it. I just don't expect a loft/shaft change to drastically alter the way this club feels to me. I've tried two of the three lofts (just 12º to go) and two different shafts (Fuji stock and Oban White aftermarket.) When I can play 10.5 drivers in just about every other OEM's head, you can imagine how shocked I was feeling like a beginner with this thing in my hands. I honesly felt handicapped by this driver. NOTHING about it made me think, "ooh, if only I were optimized." And the one guy outright admitted he didn't like the thing either after hitting my G25 and said it was getting traded in the next day.

You guys will just have to deal with someone not being onboard the TM love-fest with this thing. My gosh. People used to be able to have an opinion on a golf board. Times sure have changed. (Free trips and goodies? Yep.)

Dude - you do a very nice job of stating your opinion.  I'm nowhere near smart enough to know if you're correct or incorrect in your conclusions, but you write very well and 2/3rds of your work is blog-worthy.  I just don't understand why you feel it necessary to cap each post off with snarky remarks about manufacturers or about people who have opinions different from yours, remarks that are, to me at least, off-putting and undermine the points you're trying to make.  You're obviously a smart guy - but points can be made without the smarmy attitude.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

@divots

I think if you just said "it doesn't feel right, I don't like it". No one would have a problem. But you're trying to disprove the theories of spin vs loft with this driver, and people are getting defensive. If you don't like the feel, don't play it. Discussion over.

Personally, I liked the driver and what it did for my ball flight. I don't pretend to know about the physics behind it. Yes, TMAG taught us the basics of it, but without going in to some seriously confidential data from the manufacturer, we're all just guessing. All I know is, it worked for me.

Where you are going wrong is trying to convince a bunch of guys their new driver is crap.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

If you are insinuating that i can be bought with a trip to Carlsbad you obviously don't know me, nor have you read any of the comments I've made about the irons I was able to hit there.

And yes, my previous driver was fit for me by a top 100 fitter.  Totally Driven in MN.  And yes I did see gains with the SLDR. About 15 yards total, 7-8 carry and 7-8 roll.  Previous was a TM R11s with Oban Kiyoshi 65 04.

Regardless of how I got the driver I saw improved performance.  So did all 9 of the other people who attended the event.  So did all of their tour staff who is now playing it.  Forgive me for getting excited about a product that flat out works for the majority of people I have seen try it.  You may think this whole "Loft Up" thing is marketing crap, but it's actually a very valid piece of advice.  You are a perfect case for why TM feels the need to spend so much money shouting this message from the roof tops.  "I've always played 10.5, I can play 10.5 in anything, but 10.5 in the SLDR was crap"  sound familiar?  This is the biggest battle TM faces with this new club and low/forward CG placement.  Getting people to understand it's NOT the same as what they were playing, and they will need to make changes to get optimal results with the new club.  When those changes are properly made most people will see better results.

You are entitled to your own opinion, and nobody is forcing you to play anything you don't want to.  I however found a new piece of technology that has made it easier to hit the ball farther and straighter and i would like to share that experience with other members of the forum.

With all your infinite "wisdom" of golf equipment and the industry, you should start your own blog. This day old garbage spewing from your mouth, is getting old.

If anyone is really interested in this club, don't take anyone on here's word for it......go try it yourself. But don't just grab one off the rack, let someone who knows what they're doing help you out. Just because some hack couldn't hit it, doesn't make it a bad driver and on the flip side, just because some who IS good can hit it, doesn't mean you'll be able to.

• SPY VIP

It's sad, actually pathetic really that when the guys here try and explain what is clearly a gaping hole in your understanding of ball flight dynamics that you resort to calling these guys fanboys. 

Seriously...you've been on this forum a week. You don't know the first thing about the guys here.

Here's what I've ascertained about you in the very limited time you've been on our forum:

Your understanding of the physics behind ball flight dynamics is rudimentary at best. That's fine. One of the greatest bits of wisdom I ever got from one of our members is this; It's okay not to know something.

But given how you respond to those whose knowledge exceeds your own (your unrelenting assertion that everyone who has a better understanding of low/forward as it relates to the actual physics of ball flight is a fanboy), further supports what I believe to be true:

You tried to get somewhere in this industry and came up short (no doubt why you harbor such resentment for Ryan - who by all accounts other than your own - is one of the most decent guys you're likely to meet. I know him...good dude. That's my read.  So that brings us to your situation. You're clearly resentful of those who have accomplished more and experienced more than you have within the golf industry. You don't handle that resentment well. You hide behind a keyboard (and I'm reasonably certain that keyboard is located in your mother's basement), and when somebody disagrees with you, you're the one who resorts to name calling.

Seriously, how old are you? Act like it, man.

In 3 years you are the single biggest infestation of negativity we've ever had on this forum. It's absolutely as mind-numbing as your unwavering dedication to the nonsense rolling off your fingertips.

Look...I know you're in a tough spot with your WRX ban an all, but man, I know a couple of the guys over there pretty well. I'd be happy to make a call. Maybe we can get your sentence reduced. 

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

It's sad, actually pathetic really that when the guys here try and explain what is clearly a gaping hole in your understanding of ball flight dynamics that you resort to calling these guys fanboys. 

Seriously...you've been on this forum a week. You don't know the first thing about the guys here.

Here's what I've ascertained about you in the very limited time you've been on our forum:

Your understanding of the physics behind ball flight dynamics is rudimentary at best. That's fine. One of the greatest bits of wisdom I ever got from one of our members is this; It's okay not to know something.

But given how you respond to those whose knowledge exceeds your own (your unrelenting assertion that everyone who has a better understanding of low/forward as it relates to the actual physics of ball flight is a fanboy), further supports what I believe to be true:

You tried to get somewhere in this industry and came up short (no doubt why you harbor such resentment for Ryan - who by all accounts other than your own - is one of the most decent guys you're likely to meet. I know him...good dude. That's my read.  So that brings us to your situation. You're clearly resentful of those who have accomplished more and experienced more than you have within the golf industry. You don't handle that resentment well. You hide behind a keyboard (and I'm reasonably certain that keyboard is located in your mother's basement), and when somebody disagrees with you, you're the one who resorts to name calling.

In 3 years you are the single biggest infestation of negativity we've ever had on this forum. It's absolutely as mind-numbing as your unwavering dedication to the nonsense rolling off your fingertips.

Look...I know you're in a tough spot with your WRX ban an all, but man, I know a couple of the guys over there pretty well. I'd be happy to make a call. Maybe we can get your sentence reduced. 

You tried to get somewhere in this industry and came up short (no doubt why you harbor such resentment for Ryan - who by all accounts other than your own - is one of the most decent guys you're likely to meet. I know him...good dude. That's my read. So that brings us to your situation. You're clearly resentful of those who have accomplished more and experienced more than you have within the golf industry. You don't handle that resentment well. You hide behind a keyboard (and I'm reasonably certain that keyboard is located in your mother's basement), and when somebody disagrees with you, you're the one who resorts to name calling.

POST OF THE CENTURY!!!

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

• SPY VIP

THAT. JUST. HAPPENED.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

You tried to get somewhere in this industry and came up short (no doubt why you harbor such resentment for Ryan - who by all accounts other than your own - is one of the most decent guys you're likely to meet. I know him...good dude. That's my read. So that brings us to your situation. You're clearly resentful of those who have accomplished more and experienced more than you have within the golf industry. You don't handle that resentment well. You hide behind a keyboard (and I'm reasonably certain that keyboard is located in your mother's basement), and when somebody disagrees with you, you're the one who resorts to name calling.

Post of the century alright!

Archived