Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Launch Monitors: Are they as cool to you as they are to me.

Rickles

One of the coolest things at the PGA merchandise this year to me was the flight scope launch monitor that only costs $2100. It seems like they are coming down a ton in price. We spend so much money on equipment, having something like this that can help our games so much seems like a no-brainer. Do you think having a launch monitor to practice with would be as useful for the average golfer as for tour pros? How much would you be willing to pay for one? Is $2100 still too much?

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

I would love to have a launch monitor with the data and quality like flight scope. While 2100 is a lot of money as long as the up keep wasn't too bad it would more than pay for itself with the data and ingraining of new swing mechanics.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I would love to have a launch monitor with the data and quality like flight scope. While 2100 is a lot of money as long as the up keep wasn't too bad it would more than pay for itself with the data and ingraining of new swing mechanics.

Agreed. I really feel like I've been playing long enough now that if I had a launch monitor I could fix my swing myself. I also think I could get my money back loaning it out to friends at $100 a pop.

What's in my Bag:
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Or if you have the land making a backyard driving range? Then you could use real balls to gather data so you know what to expect in terms of spin ect.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

It is called flight scope xi. Go to flightscope.com and check it out. Smaller package all the stuff on regular flightscope transmitted wireless to your phone or iPad. They actually say its $2500. But another site said $2100. Might be suggested versus actual retail. I think you are going to see a lot of teachers with this very soon. It's on many websights list of top products from the merchandise show. I really want one. Still too much money though.

What's in my Bag:

It can tell you attack angle and club path and face angle in addition to the launch conditions.  Getting immediate feedback like that, especially when you're inside unable to see the ball flight is huge.  If you're over the top and slicing, open face, whatever, you can work on getting it more neutral.  When you get good results, the swing/release will likely feel different and you can start learning what that feels like to ingrain it.  It's not as big of a deal when outside where you can see the ball flight, although even then it's great for comparing clubs, shafts, balls etc.

Hitting balls inside into a net with no feedback can ingrain some bad things if you're not careful.  You may be getting solid contact and it feels great.  Then you go play and discover you're slicing or hooking shots all of a sudden.

It can tell you attack angle and club path and face angle in addition to the launch conditions.  Getting immediate feedback like that, especially when you're inside unable to see the ball flight is huge.  If you're over the top and slicing, open face, whatever, you can work on getting it more neutral.  When you get good results, the swing/release will likely feel different and you can start learning what that feels like to ingrain it.  It's not as big of a deal when outside where you can see the ball flight, although even then it's great for comparing clubs, shafts, balls etc.

Hitting balls inside into a net with no feedback can ingrain some bad things if you're not careful.  You may be getting solid contact and it feels great.  Then you go play and discover you're slicing or hooking shots all of a sudden.

Sounds like it's more beneficial for those who can't get outdoors often due to weather or other reasons. It would be really cool for comparing equipment.

Although the X1 would be great for practice and direct feedback. It is not the X2, That model is for fitters and teachers and has more option available than the X1

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Yikes I'd hate to be one of your friends!

I guess that did come out wrong. I guess I consider everyone a friend. I just mean I'd rent it out or let people test equipment with it or whatever. I told you I was cheap!

For you I'll knock it down to $50. Ha!

What's in my Bag:

It's very intriguing, but I would need the ability to hook it up to a computer and use it as a simulator.  I'd get bored with just hitting and looking at numbers all winter, I really want an indoor simulator setup that I could pretend to actually golf on instead of an ipad screen spitting out raw data.

Give me something that's accurate, can be used as a simulator and doesn't require special balls or tape on my clubs for under $3k and I'll start talking to my wife

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

It does have the feature where it draws a line showing how the ball moved and where it stopped and such, like you see in the blog reviews. It is not a simulator though. It meets everything you asked for except simulator.

What's in my Bag:

http://flightscope.com/products/flightscope-xi/

distances, club speed and ball speed

http://flightscope.com/products/flightscope-xi/tech-specs/

Ball Data
  • Carry Distance
  • Total Distance
  • Roll Distance
  • Ball Speed
  • Lateral Deviation
Club Data
  • Club Head Speed
  • Smash Factor

No launch angle or spin info. Kind of a glorified swing speed radar?

I like to look at the golf ball in flight. It tells me all this same stuff. I just need to do the interpreting instead of having a numerical quantifier attached to what I'm seeing.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I think it would be useful but not sure what I'd be willing to spend. Probably not over $500. Today anyway. I'm waiting on my Game Golf to ship. I think that device will be very beneficial. I'm also re-doing my backyard this spring. I'm going to have a hitting mat & net and a high speed camera to work with. I think the super slo-mo camera will be awesome.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

It's very intriguing, but I would need the ability to hook it up to a computer and use it as a simulator.  I'd get bored with just hitting and looking at numbers all winter, I really want an indoor simulator setup that I could pretend to actually golf on instead of an ipad screen spitting out raw data.

Give me something that's accurate, can be used as a simulator and doesn't require special balls or tape on my clubs for under $3k and I'll start talking to my wife

Here's what Breed uses on the Golf Channel.

http://www.aboutgolf.com/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Here's what Breed uses on the Golf Channel.

http://www.aboutgolf.com/

I think you missed the sub $3k requirement :)

Those simulators are nice, we have a local facility with 4 of them I use in the winter

I think you missed the sub $3k requirement :)

Those simulators are nice, we have a local facility with 4 of them I use in the winter

Which facility? I really don't like the sims at Inside Edge.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Bunker Hills, perhaps?

Really? The Aboutgolf sims, aside from the putting detractions of most simulators, feel pretty accurate to my usual on-course yardages. Draws and fades worked well. I ended up shooting just a little higher than usual getting used to short game nuances with the sims. Haven't been there for a couple years though.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Mr_divots nailed it, Bunker Hills uses them. Went a few times last year and they felt pretty accurate. I agree though the short game takes some adjustment

I love playing on Launch Monitors and Simulators during the winter just so I can still keep my swing close to what it is at the end of the previous season. I do not use them for anything except entertainment or club comparison.

$2,100 is pretty low so I might have to check this one out. Thanks for sharing.

Mr. Divots is right. It looks like it doesn't have launch or spin numbers. That would make it pretty hard to use it for fitting. I may have to retract my thoughts on how awesome this is. I guess I should have done more homework. I shouldn't have believed what it said on other websites.

What's in my Bag:

Let's say it were 2100 I'd rather spend it on lessons with a top teacher.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'll start by answering the question posed in the thread title, they are that cool, despite not having used one yet lol.

Otherwise I'll add that I wouldn't be too pressed to buy one. If you have the spare cash to burn and can't think of anything else then go ahead I wish I could lol.

If you don't which would be most of us, I would suggest not going out and getting one, its not something you will use enough to justify spending that much money as you wouldnt use it every time you go out to practise, you would use it sparadically as you either try and dial something in, a routine check or seeing if you've made progress grooving that swing change. All of these things you can do at a place that has them to use at a much lower cost, and if it was me I would prefer to have a trained eye having a look at what I was doing and what the numbers translated to.

Another basis is something like that at this stage isnt a very good investment as they are becoming more popular to use, which means there is going to be some serious improvements and innovations over the coming years. Buying a top unit now would most likely not be the best decision if it gets superceded by something more awesome in 6 months.

But again if you have the money to burn than I would get one in a heart beat despite everything I have said lol

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

I would love it if someone created a loaner style golf website that allowed you to 'lease' techy type stuff like a trackman, launch monitors, simulators, etc. Why? Because launch monitors and trackman devices are like pick-up trucks...they're good a couple times a year but overall the investment really isn't that practical (and this is coming from a truck owner in Texas). Personally, I wouldn't mind plunking down a good amount of money for a refundable deposit (let's say it's $800/week with $550 of that being refundable to cover any wear/damages). You use it for a week, tune your clubs/swing to the best and then return it. The investment is a lot less severe but you still have access to high tech equipment not found at your local course.

If anyone creates a business like this, i want 10% of the profits.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

It's just a matter of time. LM's will be coming down over time just like all technology has. Like I said above; it the thing were in the $500 or less range then I'd have one. Why not.

Archived