TheWahoo

Best golf record that may never be broken

With the up-coming Byron Nelson tournament, on TGC, one of the commentators stated that Nelson's 11 straight victories, perhaps, was the most impressive record that never will or may never be broken.   His fellow commentators agreed it was impressive and mostly likely will never be broken, but because of the time and the level of competition, it necessarily was not the most impressive.  It was also noted that one of those victories may have been a team event.  

Other records noted by the commentators were:

Jack's 18 majors

Tiger's record of continuous made cuts (I think it was 142)

Tiger winning at least 5 tournaments in each of 9 years.

While it may or may not have been mentioned, I tend to lean toward what's called the "Tiger Slam"-holding all 4 majors at one time.  I think he may have been the Player's champion as well.  

Any opinions or other suggestions?

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong Jack's record is amazing and one that will probably stand for a long time. However I think the 142 cuts made in a row by Tiger is what may never get broken especially with how deep the PGA Tour is now. 

• Like 7

Absolutely, positively, NO WAY ... with all of the talent on the tour now ... that anyone **EVER** wins 11 tournaments in a row.

Unless something super duper crazy happens like the top 100 players in Europe and the US all get the flu at the same, except for 1 guy.

It is by far ** THEE ** must untouchable record.

We can debate about the time, the era, the tournaments, the competition, etc. but as far as unbreakable goes that may be the biggest in not just golf but all of sport.

• Like 8

Absolutely, positively, NO WAY ... with all of the talent on the tour now ... that anyone **EVER** wins 11 tournaments in a row.

Unless something super duper crazy happens like the top 100 players in Europe and the US all get the flu at the same, except for 1 guy.

We can debate about the time, the era, the tournaments, the competition, etc. but as far as unbreakable goes that may be the biggest in not just golf but all of sport.

I'm gonna have to agree with this......DJ won 3 in a row, but that was only 3 that he PLAYED ......heck, we might not see that again for a long time

• Like 2

Completely true too!

• Like 2

Ray Ainsley, 23 on the par-4 16th at Cherry Hills (in the U.S. Open no less).

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Sooner or later somebody needs to beat 63 in a major. And shoot all four rounds in the 60's for the Masters too

• Like 3

Ray Ainsley, 23 on the par-4 16th at Cherry Hills (in the U.S. Open no less).

Not too sure I could not beat that one only problem is I am not good enough to qualify.  :)

• Like 3

...shoot all four rounds in the 60's for the Masters too

That would be next level! I think if someone shoots in the sixties Thursday and Friday, the Augusta grounds crew presses the secret "insanity" button that makes the greens go harder than a pool table and the pins end up placed locations that would cause even the strongest of men to evacuate their bowels in a most hasty manner.

• Like 2

Kathy Whitworth 88 wins up Sam Snead by 5.

Tiger's week in number one would never be approach. There are plenty of talent out there to get the job done but the media distraction would make it so impossible.

Not that it has been easy since the time of Tom Morris, but now it can reach global scale in seconds.

I don't think anyone will ever break Jim Furyk's single round PGA Tour record of 58..... That's score on the PGA tour is surreal....

• Like 2

I don't think anyone will ever break Jim Furyk's single round PGA Tour record of 58..... That's score on the PGA tour is surreal....

Considering he shot that on a par 70, I think it will be at some point, it may be many years, but I think It will.

• Like 1

No one will break 11 straight, all of the others are attainable, it just might take a very long time before it happens.

• Like 1

11 straight.... unless the whole field besides 1 guy gets the flu for 11 weeks straight, Will. Never. Happen. Again.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong Jack's record is amazing and one that will probably stand for a long time. However I think the 142 cuts made in a row by Tiger is what may never get broken especially with how deep the PGA Tour is now.

jayjay, I agree but the depth of a field has no impact on how a particular player plays. Only bad swings and not scoring prevent someone from making the cut.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

• Like 1

Tiger-slam to me is the least likely to be done. 142 cuts in a row close second.

Way too deep of a talent pool

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

canucklehead, jayjay mentioned this too. I'm not sure why people think the "talent pool" has anything to do with whether someone makes a cut. Tiger Woods make so many consecutive cuts because he played well enough to make the cut each week. The problem for every player currently is that you could pick their game apart (I could pick my own apart too lol). The "talent" at a tour event has nothing to do with how well any single guy is gonna play.

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

This is a tough one. Never say never but Tigers made cut street would be pretty tough to pass.

142 in a row will be extremely hard to catch...

among Tiger's other accomplishments that are rather impressive...

that 683 consecutive weeks as the #1 ranked player will be hard to top.

-      In what was dubbed the Tiger Slam, Woods simultaneously held all four major titles, plus The Players Championship trophy, in 2000-01.

·      In one stretch, he won 45 of 47 events on the PGA Tour in which he held the outright 54-hole lead, establishing himself as the most coolly efficient, intimidating closer in golf history.

·      He won six straight USGA titles – three U.S. Junior and three U.S. Amateur – before turning pro. Woods long has considered it one of his headiest achievements, so nobody is arguing.

·      He spent a record 683 weeks atop the world ranking. The 19 others who have held the top position since the ranking was unveiled in 1986 have amassed a combined 941 weeks at No. 1. Marinate in that data for a spell.

·      Since 1981, four other players have won five-plus times in a PGA Tour season. Woods did it 10 times.
  • Like 1

Think about how talented, healthy, consistent you have to be to win 5 times a year for almost a decade. Just reading his accomplishments makes it seem surreal.

• Like 2