Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Practice Round Shorts...!

Shankster

• SPY VIP

Shorts are awesome and in no way hurt the game or its' tradition. Good on golf for progressing in areas that don't tarnish its overall professional image. By the way, I'm a huge traditionalist of the game and part of that is wearing shorts on the course ever chance I get. You no what is dorky though, wearing shorts when it's 100° out and you don't have too. LOL

Time to lighten up fellas, they're just shorts.

Oh and FYI, I wrote this post in shorts and even put a pair on the cat so he could feel included.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no plans to lace up my gloves; so I owe you a large popcorn ;)

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Shorts have absolutely nothing to do with how golfers act or maintaining professionalism on the course.  I'm fairly certain Bubba can rip his caddy a new one in pants, Rory can chuck an iron in to the pond in pants, Spieth can whine and complain and continue backing off his shots in pants.

Professionalism is how you carry yourself regardless of whether or not I can see the bottom 15" of your legs.

Also their legs wouldn't be so pastey if we let them wear shorts every round, I'm all for it.  I've just never understood the reason they have to wear pants.  And there's no way you can tell me that Rickie looking like he got dunked in a huge tub of orange kool-aid, or Daly wearing loudmouth pants, or anything Ian Poulter wears looks more professional than a nice polo tucked in to a crisp pair of golf shorts.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm in favor of shorts, honestly.

But there are some guys who should just stick to pants. Rickie can boast the shorts, but Phil? Uhhh...

You're welcome.........

DGuz5CZW0AAqjLx.jpg

:taylormade-small: SLDR 10.5 Oban HB

:taylormade-small: R11s Rip Phenom

:Hogan: Ft. Worth Black Irons

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54

:cleveland-small: CG10 58

:EVNROLL: EV 5.3 Duo

• SPY VIP

Shorts have absolutely nothing to do with how golfers act or maintaining professionalism on the course. I'm fairly certain Bubba can rip his caddy a new one in pants, Rory can chuck an iron in to the pond in pants, Spieth can whine and complain and continue backing off his shots in pants.

Professionalism is how you carry yourself regardless of whether or not I can see the bottom 15" of your legs.

Also their legs wouldn't be so pastey if we let them wear shorts every round, I'm all for it. I've just never understood the reason they have to wear pants. And there's no way you can tell me that Rickie looking like he got dunked in a huge tub of orange kool-aid, or Daly wearing loudmouth pants, or anything Ian Poulter wears looks more professional than a nice polo tucked in to a crisp pair of golf shorts.

Amen

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

StrokerAce,  Maybe you have not worked or been to many PGA tournaments, but many of the players do smoke, but they do it discretely- usually on the back side of a green or heading to the next tee box, out of sight of the cameras and many of the fans.

I think that Alan has a valid point about standards, and that the world has gotten more and more "relaxed" about appearance.  It does not change the person, and I am not saying that you should judge a person by their outward appearance, however I think the word "Professional" in their title carries with it some clout, and it can influence more impressionable individuals (children, etc).  I would rather they emulate the good traditions and habits (hat on forward, shirts tucked in to slacks worn with a belt, etc.) when performing for an audience (be that at work, at school, or in front of the television camera).  Practice rounds - probably right, doesn't matter, but when money is on the line professionalism and decorum are important- IMHO.

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

StrokerAce, Maybe you have not worked or been to many PGA tournaments, but many of the players do smoke, but they do it discretely- usually on the back side of a green or heading to the next tee box, out of sight of the cameras and many of the fans.

I think that Alan has a valid point about standards, and that the world has gotten more and more "relaxed" about appearance. It does not change the person, and I am not saying that you should judge a person by their outward appearance, however I think the word "Professional" in their title carries with it some clout, and it can influence more impressionable individuals (children, etc). I would rather they emulate the good traditions and habits (hat on forward, shirts tucked in to slacks worn with a belt, etc.) when performing for an audience (be that at work, at school, or in front of the television camera). Practice rounds - probably right, doesn't matter, but when money is on the line professionalism and decorum are important- IMHO.

Look at Daniel Berger he has a lip full of chew most of the time when playing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

You're welcome.........

DGuz5CZW0AAqjLx.jpg

Haha I did see that one, but somehow still feel Rickie a little more "stylish" :P

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

IMG_9650.GIF

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Well................. I'm not sure what to think at this point. I never thought I'd see the day on this forum where such an innocent thread topic would be so.......... provocative/surly/inflammatory? I'm kind of surprised, truthfully.

I didn't read a page or two I gave up reading arguments or people getting upset over an opinion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Arnie would say "does it hurt the game? No. Does it help grow the game? Potentially - so let's go with it"

Arnie was one of the most progressive thinkers of his generation. The game would not be where it is if it wasn't for his forward thinking.

"What would Arnie do" does not apply here.

Actually, it does. And Arnie would want to get rid of dumb policies and do what it takes, within reason. to grow the game.

As I recall he advocated for a non conforming driver for amateurs.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Holy smokes, 14 pages on this thread already. I would point out that tennis did start as a game for royals, men wore suits and women wore dresses. Today they wear athletic gear, shorts/skirts and short sleeve shirts. It is a game played outdoors a lot and they are running around so the attire makes sense (much like basketball). The only difference here is that pants being worn for highest level men's professional golf has been perpetuated a really long time, probably longer then it should have. Golf has long been called "the gentleman's game" and to that comes certain requirements, but I have to say that pants isn't a specific requirement for a game to be consider "gentlemanly". If golf wants to be considered more athletic then the attire has to fit the description. Golf should have gone to shorts permitted about 10 years ago.

The drawback though is that there are a lot of overweight professional golfers (no fat tennis players) who would make the shirts+polo thing look bad, but maybe it would motivate their lazy butt to get some cardio lol.

Sent from my LGLS992 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

StrokerAce,  Maybe you have not worked or been to many PGA tournaments, but many of the players do smoke, but they do it discretely- usually on the back side of a green or heading to the next tee box, out of sight of the cameras and many of the fans.

I think that Alan has a valid point about standards, and that the world has gotten more and more "relaxed" about appearance.  It does not change the person, and I am not saying that you should judge a person by their outward appearance, however I think the word "Professional" in their title carries with it some clout, and it can influence more impressionable individuals (children, etc).  I would rather they emulate the good traditions and habits (hat on forward, shirts tucked in to slacks worn with a belt, etc.) when performing for an audience (be that at work, at school, or in front of the television camera).  Practice rounds - probably right, doesn't matter, but when money is on the line professionalism and decorum are important- IMHO.

Wow... I did not know this.  That's a little bit sad...  I'm glad I didn't know.

I think both Dufner and Boo both chew tobacco while they play - at least it looks like it - nobody really ever talks about it.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Wow... I did not know this. That's a little bit sad... I'm glad I didn't know.

I think both Dufner and Boo both chew tobacco while they play - at least it looks like it - nobody really ever talks about it.

Here's an exclusive picture of Dufner wearing shorts.

belly.PNG

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

...the thing I find most --- searching for adjective here entertaining? refreshing? --- about this post is that it really has nothing to do with the golf swing, clubs, etc.  we can all either cordially agree or agree to disagree when it comes to those topics.  This, however, is like the 3rd rail in politics for some reason!  Such polarizing opinions.  

it is about what professional golfers wear when they play a game.  It's a game. that they get paid. to play.  a game.

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Here's an exclusive picture of Dufner wearing shorts.

belly.PNG

Haha.... I assume that he is "Dufnering" there?  There aren't too many professional golfers that have an action named after them!  As a matter of fact I can't think of anyone else... 

Dalying - drinking a diet coke & smoking a marlboro

Weeklying - tying a fishing hook while waiting for your partner to hit

Perezing - screaming at the other guy to hit the dam ball already

Kucharing - saying aw shucks every other shot

We can come up with a million of 'em!  Let's do it... lets spin this post to something fun and positive.

Who's got a good one?

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

I wonder if the powers to be for the Tour decided to put this to a vote what the consensus would be?  Would players be 100% behind wearing shorts OR would there be some who would prefer to keep their pants on?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Kucharing - saying aw shucks every other shot

We can come up with a million of 'em! Let's do it... lets spin this post to something fun

Who's got a good one?

Lol this one is funny. I've definitely heard him through the mics "Oh Matty"

Here's one. Pulling a Spieth:

sad-kid-reaction-gif.gif

Lol this one is funny. I've definitely heard him through the mics "Oh Matty"

Here's one. Pulling a Spieth:

sad-kid-reaction-gif.gif

welll.... that didn't take long.  Congrats on being the first.  I knew "Spiething" or some derivative of it would be the first -- esp considering his recent win.

I prefer to think of him sitting in a bunker full of ca$h with his 3 major trophies around him.

To each their own.

Perhaps Shankopotamus was right... we should just let this thread go.

So much for trying to make a positive out of a negative.

[[unsubscribing]]

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

Here's a positive one. DJ'ing

giphy.gif

Get it? Cuz he looks like he's sleep walking through the course? It's a stretch but I tried.

I wonder if the powers to be for the Tour decided to put this to a vote what the consensus would be? Would players be 100% behind wearing shorts OR would there be some who would prefer to keep their pants on?

I think almost all players would vote for shorts. They are probably far more comfortable in shorts, so why not?

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I think almost all players would vote for shorts. They are probably far more comfortable is shorts, so why not?

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I agree there would be very few to choose pants over shorts during the hot months. With that said I'm sure there are those who are shy about bearing their skin.  My brother is 70 years old and I honestly can't remember when I've seen him wearing shorts. He's the good old boy redneck type that you see wearing jeans, drinking a beer and chewing tobacco and the same time.  :wacko:  

Cleveland

Last night, I watched the interview with Daniel Berger on TGC.   He made two points that I found revealing and interesting.   He noted that Spieth, Thomas and himself among others have grown up playing each other.   As a result they have formed personal relationships-that while they want to win and beat each other they are friends and have tremendous respect for each other.   The relationships they exhibit are real.   Two, when asked about the shorts, he said he was glad they could be worn of practice days but that he recognized the traditional attire on tournament days and accepts it.    Regardless of one's position on attire, for such a response, he must be respected for his insight regarding the topic.  It seems to me, regardless of how tournament attire may evolve, our game is in good hands for the future.

https://www.facebook.com/nastynestor/videos/10203924684074406/

Shameless Plug!  I know you all have 30 minutes to spare, so being lazy and instead of typing my thoughts, I thought I'd post my thoughts from this mornings spot with a local radio show, that I'l have a weekly feature on.   He FB lives's it as well as over the air.

Shankster...You know you are one of my favorites here, and I love that you always say what's on your mind.  So don't be upset that I kinda took the middle ground here, but in the end, I say it's probably going to be the norm 15 years from now, and we'll forget they ever wore shorts.

keep doin you Alan...just understand not everyone will agree, but that doesn't make you wrong or your points wrong, just different views from different vantage points. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

https://www.facebook.com/nastynestor/videos/10203924684074406/

Shameless Plug! I know you all have 30 minutes to spare, so being lazy and instead of typing my thoughts, I thought I'd post my thoughts from this mornings spot with a local radio show, that I'l have a weekly feature on. He FB lives's it as well as over the air.

Shankster...You know you are one of my favorites here, and I love that you always say what's on your mind. So don't be upset that I kinda took the middle ground here, but in the end, I say it's probably going to be the norm 15 years from now, and we'll forget they ever wore shorts.

keep doin you Alan...just understand not everyone will agree, but that doesn't make you wrong or your points wrong, just different views from different vantage points.

Home run !

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cleveland

Obviously we need to roll back the outfits to recover golf's purity.

attachicon.gifOld golf.jpg

attachicon.gifwomensgolfclothing_5.jpg

Yea I think like most any sport, as humans evolve and technology advances, uniforms and attire will change. I don't watch high level golf events to see what outfit Jordan Spieth is gonna wear. Or what shoes Rory McIlroy is wearing on Sunday. I watch competitive golf for the aspect of the actual golf. Until very recently in it's history, golf was considered just a "game" by most people.

Over time, the highest level golfers have proven that there is a tremendous amount of athletic ability, training, and practice which needs to be present. This is no different then tennis, or football. People don't go to a tennis match because they are so concerned about Federer's outfit, or go to a basketball game because Lebron is wearing a cool jersey.

We participate in sport as a spectator because we love to watch the execution of high skill by trained athletes. More athletic attire for professional golfers is a very good idea. I could relate much better to my favorite players if they are wearing more athletically driven outfits.

And the whole "skinny legs" thing is really funny. I seriously don't understand why professional golfers don't take the time to be outside without a shirt or in shorts so their skin looks less pasty lol. Seriously though, pretty much every men's sport has guys with skinny calves, even tennis, football, and basketball.

Sent from my LGLS992 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Archived