Sign in to follow this  
ole gray

Lie Angle Upright or Flat

6'2" 37 sleeve length and I am standard lie and length in the irons.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

6'2" 37 sleeve length and I am standard lie and length in the irons.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

That must be nice. I always have to add $$ to any club purchase for adjustments.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

I'm 5'11 and 3/4"; I used to be 6'0" but apparently I've shrunk before my last Dr. visit. My Pings are purple dot, 1.5* flat, because that's what I was fitted for. I play my MacGregors at 2* flat.

We are all shrinking, I was an inch taller 15 years ago (55). Also at that time I was playing standard lie.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

How many are going to catch the Scott Norwood"

I was wondering that as well as I typed it... So here's something to help out.   It's actually a great watch of the final drive with Al Michaels on the play by play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT0r8wBL4QU

• Like 1

Just because I'm 6'5" doesn't mean I need upright clubs, and I'm glad Miles of Golf PROVED that years ago using video and computers to measure my angle at impact. For years everyone put me in +1", 2* up. Well, that's FOUR degrees total! Lie boards do just that, they lie. I've hit the center of the tape at 2* flat and 2* up.

All-in-all, I'm, depending on the manufacturer, standard lie, +1", which is 2* effective loft. With some iron manufacturers, this isn't correct as each company has a different "standard" lie angle... 2* up in Mizuno MP-18 may NOT be the same lie angle as 2* up in a Ping iBlade. Buyer beware.

• Like 1

I recently had my irons bent up to 2 degrees from a suggestion from a good friend.  Being 6' 2" tall he said you need an upright lie. We didn't take in to account my arms are pretty long etc.  So up 2 degrees we go and I was still showing marks on the tape towards the toe. On the course my irons which are usually the best thing in my bag, went drastically south.  Enough of that so I went back and went through the lie board thing again. After bending my 7 iron down to 1 degree flat I was striping it with marks in the very center of the club. Really crazy stuff but I suppose my whacky swing needs set up totally opposite from what you would think I need.   :wacko:

What is your lie angle on your irons?  I'm curious to see if anyone else goes against the grain. 

I should play my irons flat but I have a progressive system in my irons

My Long irons (4,5) play one degree upright. Mid Irons (6,7,8) are standard. Short Irons (9,PW) are 1 degree flat.

I base my lie off of ball flight not what a chart or lie board says. My long irons will fade so making them upright makes sens to bring that ball flight left. The short irons are easier to turn over so having them flat helps keep the hook away. 

• Like 5

6'1" and I play 2* up but will probably go in tomorrow to get my lie angle checked again. I've been working on my swing and made a few adjustments so I want to get my lie angle checked again

• Like 1

Just because I'm 6'5" doesn't mean I need upright clubs, and I'm glad Miles of Golf PROVED that years ago using video and computers to measure my angle at impact. For years everyone put me in +1", 2* up. Well, that's FOUR degrees total! Lie boards do just that, they lie. I've hit the center of the tape at 2* flat and 2* up.

All-in-all, I'm, depending on the manufacturer, standard lie, +1", which is 2* effective loft. With some iron manufacturers, this isn't correct as each company has a different "standard" lie angle... 2* up in Mizuno MP-18 may NOT be the same lie angle as 2* up in a Ping iBlade. Buyer beware.

Curious, what were just GD clubs spec'd at?

6'4", and I go 2 up, and 1" long. That's what I am comfortable with, so that's what I do. I could probably go 3 upright, but then the ball stats moving too far to the right. So by keeping the lie a bit flatter it helps to straighten the ball flight. That's what works for me.

I am 6'-2" and two degrees up and 1/2" long but one thing to consider is that different manufacturers have different starting points. So 2 degrees up from standard on one set of irons could be the same lie angle as 1.5 degrees up on another. There is no standard across the board.

• Like 1

Im mentally making note of all you +1 up 2 degree guys, to send direct PM to when i need to sell some irons.

Ir more likely stalk your WITB signature to see what i can make offers on...LOL

• Like 1

Grandaddy!!

Hahaha! Worst "fitting" ever. At the GD they went with EXACTLY what I came there with: 2* up, +1". "What are you playing now? 2 up, plus one? Ok, we'll just do that."

I went to Miles of Golf the summer after and that's when they changed everything to standard lie, +1" on Cally Apex.

• Like 2

Hahaha! Worst "fitting" ever.

GD is more marketing than fitting. Not saying I wouldn't want a free trip and a bag full of equipment but the goal is to get 12 on pros to say how great the equipment given to you for free is. Studies show people given things for free from a manufacturer will say good thing in hopes they will get more free stuff. I would really be interested in how many people still bag the best equipment ever.

That is why I like MGS, we are expected to give an honest opinion and if the equipment doesn't work for us, we are supposed to say that.

• Like 2

GD is more marketing than fitting. Not saying I wouldn't want a free trip and a bag full of equipment but the goal is to get 12 on pros to say how great the equipment given to you for free is. Studies show people given things for free from a manufacturer will say good thing in hopes they will get more free stuff. I would really be interested in how many people still bag the best equipment ever.

That is why I like MGS, we are expected to give an honest opinion and if the equipment doesn't work for us, we are supposed to say that.

No doubt, but to say, "You'll be going through a fitting with the guy that fits Phil Mickelson," by the Cally guys, at Cally HQ, and they have the TrackMan monitors on the range, and they don't do a fitting, is ridiculous. The first group of us had to wait a couple months to get our clubs, so it wasn't like the later crews where fittings may have been off due to next day use of the clubs. Anyway. I knew the intention going in. When I spoke about how my fitting was wrong and had to buy all new, that's when I was treated a little differently....

• Like 2

Hahaha! Worst "fitting" ever. At the GD they went with EXACTLY what I came there with: 2* up, +1". "What are you playing now? 2 up, plus one? Ok, we'll just do that."

I went to Miles of Golf the summer after and that's when they changed everything to standard lie, +1" on Cally Apex.

No doubt, but to say, "You'll be going through a fitting with the guy that fits Phil Mickelson," by the Cally guys, at Cally HQ, and they have the TrackMan monitors on the range, and they don't do a fitting, is ridiculous. The first group of us had to wait a couple months to get our clubs, so it wasn't like the later crews where fittings may have been off due to next day use of the clubs. Anyway. I knew the intention going in. When I spoke about how my fitting was wrong and had to buy all new, that's when I was treated a little differently....

Thanks, i didn't want to stir up anything, but I was really curious to hear your thoughts as to what kind of fitting it was,as it's often talked and billed as you said, fit by the best in the industry, who fit Phil and such.   Not that Im sure it's not a very good experience and all, but yeah saying anything about it afterward that isn't fit for a marketing sheet, doesn't go over well with some...and I'm not talking the Callaway people.  

• Like 1

Very interesting as I thought you boys would be going through a super duper launch monitor fitting and the whole enchilada at the GD.  At least that was what it was advertised to be.  With that said, I can understand how it turned into a pure marketing gig. Overall it had to be a great time and I'm sure it was pretty awesome however they should have left out the fitting build up.  Surprised at Cally however it's not something I wouldn't expect otherwise. 

• Like 2