Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

When do you 'shut down' for the season?

StrokerAce

Courses don't close in my area of the northwest.  They do in Spokane 2 hours to the north, but it's colder and they get a lot more snow.  We have frost delays when it gets below freezing at night and warms up during the day.  If it stays below freezing, course is open.  I will play whenever the course is open.  I did buy a cover for the rental carts last year and it may be time to get it out of storage.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I live just outside of St Joe Michigan.Temps have already started to dip into mid 40's a few mornings already-high 50 mid day.With those temps,I have already put a majority of my clubs in storage.Will leave out a 5 iron-driver-wedge for winter heated range practice.

A few brave souls will play up until the snow sticks.I used to play in these late season groups all the time.Just lost interest in multi layer clothing late season cold weather golf.Once I can't wear shorts and a polo im usually done until early may

I grew up in Millburg, I have lots of friends that live in ST. Joe, Benton Harbor, Lakshore, Buchanan, Niles, Dowagiac areas, what courses do you play mostly.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Mid atlantic here, as well.  Only time the courses close is if there is snow or frost ( usually only a delay).  Have learned from many other winters sports (skiing, ice hockey, rugby, etc) layer up to what you need, as you can always peel off layers.

That said, the boss and I are looking to get below the snowbelt (she is a California girl and doesn't like snow) to mid North Carolina, near Southport and Oak Island.  Have my eye on a particular community - 4 championship courses inside a gated community... lots of walking and  biking trails and a multi-million dollar gym and pools- I could get used to that!!  5- 10 years off, I am thinking...

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

I grew up in Millburg, I have lots of friends that live in ST. Joe, Benton Harbor, Lakshore, Buchanan, Niles, Dowagiac areas, what courses do you play mostly.

Pebblewood CC/Lake Michigan Hills/Harbor Shores (a little difficult for me)/Paw Paw Lake.And various others mostly north

Keep it in the short stuff

Pebblewood CC/Lake Michigan Hills/Harbor Shores (a little difficult for me)/Paw Paw Lake.And various others mostly north

Used to play pebblewood pretty regular, Lake Mich hills several times, paw paw lake every now and again, Harbor Shores opened up just as I was moving south so I haven't played there yet. We used to play Indian Lake Hills and Hampshire quite often as well.

Used to play pebblewood pretty regular, Lake Mich hills several times, paw paw lake every now and again, Harbor Shores opened up just as I was moving south so I haven't played there yet. We used to play Indian Lake Hills and Hampshire quite often as well.

old Hampshire.Its 36 holes now, and the original back nine is so narrow.A great old course that eats my lunch everytime.So many nice courses around here.A shame the season isn't longer

Playing Friday here in Rochester, NY. Most leaves have yet to turn and the sun is up. This will likely he our final round.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Club shuts down in Dec. I will play as long as the course is free of most snow and ice, though round enjoyment is much higher when the temperature is 40+. After the club closes I switch to public golf for the playable days in Jan-Mar. These have been single digit numbers the last few years if I recall correctly.

A buddy usually tries to get me out to a heated range. I'll go, but I feel like a frozen steak thrown on a grill: thawed on one side and frozen on the other. Not to mention that striking a ball off of frozen mats has very dubious benefits if any.

The antidote is a winter trip to our southern brethren to crowd their courses, curse the Bermuda, and fantasize that I live there.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

GREEEEEEEN  with envy !!

A few weeks ago it was so cold in the morning before sunrise. My iPhone app said it was 54* but luckily by 7:30 it was a nice 71*. Thank god I didn't overreact. :)

Hey with all the crap we have to take in SoCal, for once I can brag about the good weather.

Mid November our course closes down for the year so they can do maintenance before the snow flies. Opens again mid to late February, it's a good break.

Driver: Taylormade QI10

3W: Taylormade QI10

5W: Taylormade QI10

Hybrid Taylormade 4 QI10

Irons: 5 to LW Taylormade Stealth

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour

Ball: Taylormade TP 

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag

When I lived in Ct I shut down around Halloween. Occasionally and I mean rarely we could make it to Thanksgiving.

Now living in FL everything changed. Never shut down, if fact don't slow down. Play later in the day when it warms up. May miss a few days due to cold, but cold in FL is a nice day in CT.

Thanksgiving was generally shut down for me in CT and IN. First week of November in WI.

September with the hurricane and now October with weddings has felt like a shut down this year. :(

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I live in northern KY. Just south of Cincinnati. Weather can get quite cold but it's been milder for a few years. If it's around 50 I'll try to play if I get any takers. I don't really use a simulator, but a new play opened north of me called Swing365. It's a virtual golf place. I'm gonna try and go there a time or 2 this winter.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

We still have almost half our courses closed due to hurricane Irma damage/flooding.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Once this time of year rolls around, I golf every chance I get. I'm out there until the courses close. Don't really do anything special, just enjoy it because it could be 6 months before I get to be out on the course again.

I don't even touch my clubs over the winter as I play other sports. Around Easter I'll get the clubs out and hit a simulator a couple times, as courses usually open up around then.

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I live in NE Indiana and it all depends on the winter here in the Midwest. Last year we were still able to get a couple rounds in toward mid-December but it was also a very mild winter. I have a feeling my last round will be around November or so; just leaving it all on the course since it'll be the last round. Winter months consist of occasional simulator and possibly heated range stables, but just here and there to stay a little loose.

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: 10.5* XR16 R Flex

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha V-Series 3 Wood R Flex

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 913H 21* R flex

Irons: :wilson_staff_small: C300 4-PW R Flex

Wedges: :titelist-small: SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: 2135 Cero 33" / :odyssey-small: EXO Seven S 33"

We still have almost half our courses closed due to hurricane Irma damage/flooding.

Some of the courses have literally been destroyed beyond repair imho.Its interesting following their progress.But I see a very very long road ahead.Ashame really, very sad

old Hampshire.Its 36 holes now, and the original back nine is so narrow.A great old course that eats my lunch everytime.So many nice courses around here.A shame the season isn't longer

I used to play a league out there, we played the Dogwood course most of the time, once in a while we would play the hampshire side. There are a lot of courses in that area, and most of them you can play for a pretty fair price.

We really don't have an offseason down here in Louisiana.  There my be a weekend or two that gets too cold to play, but normally I'll still play almost as much during the winter as I do any other time.  I would say my handicap will probably go up a little during the winter, but I attribute that more to me getting very irritable and not really caring that much when the temps get below 55, lol. I hate cold weather with a passion, but I'll still play in the colder temps, but I don't try anywhere near as much.  

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

We really don't have an offseason down here in Louisiana. There my be a weekend or two that gets too cold to play, but normally I'll still play almost as much during the winter as I do any other time. I would say my handicap will probably go up a little during the winter, but I attribute that more to me getting very irritable and not really caring that much when the temps get below 55, lol. I hate cold weather with a passion, but I'll still play in the colder temps, but I don't try anywhere near as much.

Love it when 55' is the cold temperature mark. That's what's nice about the south.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Some of the courses have literally been destroyed beyond repair imho.Its interesting following their progress.But I see a very very long road ahead.Ashame really, very sad

that sucks. Hopefully they'll be back better than before.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'm In Switzerland which can have pretty brutal winters. At the moment it has been around 20 degrees during the day which is incredible, so I've played loads.

Depending on when the first snow arrives, they keep the summer greens out until end of the year. But I plan to keep using the range through winter.

I have genuinely been scoping out parts of the world to look for jobs so I can play more or less all year round. Dubai is a great option but actually has the opposite problem - it gets too hot to play in summer.

Never where I live.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Golf Season?

What's that?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Oh wait-

It that when you have to wear a sweater at 7:00 AM, until the sun comes up?

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Oh wait-

It that when you have to wear a sweater at 7:00 AM, until the sun comes up?

Yup that's it!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Golf Season?

What's that?

When the fires stop burning in the hills...

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Ouch!

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Sorry, following that on the news. That is a horrible thing to happen. I've got a cousin and a close friend nearby and so far no problems for them.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Archived