Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Camel's nose under the tent?!

GCSAA Supt

Just looked over the USGA website and their summary of the new rules.  It will now allow a local rule to have a player drop with a two stroke penalty near where he either lost a ball or hit it OB and play from there rather than going back to the tee and re-hitting.   It will be a local rule but for championship competitions the old stroke and distance penalty will still be in effect.

Is this a first step to bifurcation of the rules?  And is that a bad thing?  Are the Blue Blazers over-reacting about distance and equipment issues based on the 1\2 of 1 percent that play the game at the championship/PGA tour level.  The average male player hits his drives 200 yds....a 20% reduction in the ball puts him at 160?!

I'm snowed in here in Massachusetts and have too much time on my hands!!

Jim, the retired GC Super

No different than being able to use certain distance devices sometimes and not others.

Agreed

But I will proclaim from the mountain tops that if the ball is rolled back I will never play competitive golf again as I will be done trying to play by the rules. I already would be if I were an anchored putter guy.

There is nearly a complete disconnect between the USGA and the overwhelming majority of the golfing population. I will say that this suggested local rule is a step back towards reality.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don't like the thought of this rule. I don't like playing by a different set of rules than the pros. What if you shot a really good number but you were playing by "amateur rules?" It probably wouldn't feel to great — it wouldn't feel legit. Of course, you could opt to play by the real rules, but how would that affect your typical weekend game if the others in your group play by other rules? Or what affect would it have on your HI? I don't know... I'm not a fan of this decision.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I think you are overreacting to this rule. The intent for amateurs is to speed up play by not having to go back and hit for your previous spot if you discover that the ball is OB. You can do the stroke and distance if you want.

Essentially you are taking the OB penalty you are just saying you ended up in that spot after you did stroke and distance. I actually play in a league that has followed this approach for a while.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Most amateurs do this anyway, I know I do and others that I've played with.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

If we think a ball is OB we always just hit provisional to save time. We aren't playing for big bucks on Saturdays so we play pretty relaxed anyway. In the club championships and such we play it by the “rules” to protect the field, but we play everything as red stake except for the backyards of the houses. In which case we just re-tee if we think it went into a yard, you have to miss really bad to hit one in a yard.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

If we think a ball is OB we always just hit provisional to save time. We aren't playing for big bucks on Saturdays so we play pretty relaxed anyway. In the club championships and such we play it by the “rules” to protect the field, but we play everything as red stake except for the backyards of the houses. In which case we just re-tee if we think it went into a yard, you have to miss really bad to hit one in a yard.

This is how we play. Nobody goes back to the tee.

We play exactly Kor.A.Door does. If we hit an errant tee shot and we have a good idea it's out, just tee up another one.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I don't think it matters one way or another to me. The guys I play 90% of my golf with play by our rules. Our rules say if you hit one OB and you're pretty sure it either is OB or very close. Hit another ball w/penalty. Other times if you get to where your ball should be but find it's OB or lost... take the penalty strokes; drop one and keep it moving. We don't make anyone go back to the tee or where the ball was last struck. It'd be ridiculous. And besides all that.... we're almost always gambling; so if a guy has misfortune like above then he's probably going to be out of the hole and lose a bet anyway.

I'm about done with tournament golf but when I do play then it's strictly by the rules. As it should be.

Is my handicap totally legit as played and defined by the strict rules of golf. Nope. Is yours?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm in favor of the suggested local rule. If I'm playing a course I know well, I have a pretty good idea of what kind of shot is going OB (or will be lost) and what's not. When I hit one of those shots, I'll play a provisional. I don't want to deflate my handicap.

But this rule is great for resort courses that you don't know very well. Especially blind shots. As others have posted above, you're not going all the way back to the tee in that situation.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Archived