Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Are Steelfiber shafts really worth the money?

Chuck7070

I have them in each of my irons. Mine are i80-R. I've been playing these shafts in my Wishon 771csi irons for about 4 years. First non steel shafts I've ever play in irons. I love the feel and I attribute that to the combination of the shafts and the custom build of my irons. They are a little pricey I suppose but the overall quality of the build my fitter did made it all worth it to me. And yes... I'd buy Aerotech steelfiber again.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I currently play Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW Stiff. I am not a typical graphite player by any means. My swing speed is around 108-110mph with a driver. I find they play very similar in performance to steel shafts, but feel a little bit better. They spin a little more and launch a little lower and get a little more distance.  They do play a half flex stiffer than the stated flex, so mine play like Stiff plus. As a fairly fast swing and pretty decent ball striker, I find them worth the price, and they are not just for your slow swinger who needs graphite. They really are a steel/graphite blend.

Here is a blog article on them, where they compare them to common steel shafts:

https://mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-does-the-shaft-matter/

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

I had them in my Z545 irons and I really liked the feel. Dispersion wasn’t great with them, but I also “fitted” myself for them. If you find the correct weight and stiffness, and they’re better performance-wise than what you’re playing now, they’re definitely worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

This is gonna sound cliche, but the only way they are worth the money is if they are the right fit for you.  Are they a quality shaft? Absolutely, well made and offer a great performance and feel for the right person.  So do a lot of other shafts though.

They could be $5 a shaft but if they make you shoot higher scores then they aren't worth it.  On the flip side if they fit you great and can shave a few strokes off each round then I'd absolutely pay the money.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

This is gonna sound cliche, but the only way they are worth the money is if they are the right fit for you.  Are they a quality shaft? Absolutely, well made and offer a great performance and feel for the right person.  So do a lot of other shafts though.
They could be $5 a shaft but if they make you shoot higher scores then they aren't worth it.  On the flip side if they fit you great and can shave a few strokes off each round then I'd absolutely pay the money.

Exactly!

However I think the question may be are they worth exploring. The answer is yes but don’t guess be sure to be fit into the proper one and flex. If you don’t spend that little extra for the fitting then you may end up disappointed.

I absolutely love mine. However I had another set of them in a set of irons that didn’t fit - I picked them up on eBay. Big mistake - I did recoup most of my money by reselling them.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I don't play the SteelFiber but I play the Xcaliber version, the TourX. I've had some tendon issues in my elbows so I needed to do something to get some relief. And to me, they're worth every penny. Great feel, great performance, and relief for my elbows. My one wish with them is that they came in a heavier weight, but the SteelFibers take care of that.

They are worth every penny if they improve your game and saves on your joints to play longer.

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

• 3 weeks later...

I love mine, no need to bother re-writing everything already stated. 

Get fitted to make sure you get the right ones.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

• 3 weeks later...

I had them in a set of Bridgestone J40 DPC's....really wish I would have kept those shafts....best iron shafts I have ever hit.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Anything is worth the money if it helps. There’s just a cost to improvement ratio. I love the OBAN steel shafts, but I don’t see them being $50 per club better than my C-Tapers. They will help, but for how much I play, I can’t justify it.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Archived