Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golf Trip Ideas

Jmikecpa

1 hour ago, Jmikecpa said:

What 4 courses would be the must plays while we are there? I would like to play 36 a day but not sure the little man will be up for that intense of a golf trip.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I'll repeat my endorsement of Mid Pines and Pine Needles.  That'll be the easiest 36 holes you'll play as they are right across the street from each other.  You grab lunch in either clubhouse, and go right back out and tee it up.  Simple.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Nothing is a must-play, honestly.  You're both young enough that you can visit again at some future time, and there's really not much chance of playing all of the really good courses in a single visit.  That said, here are my favorites:

At Pinehurst, #2 is the big one.  Historic, challenging, and really pricey.  The newly renovated (by Gil Hanse) #4 is probably next in line, followed by #8, and #9 (designed by Jack Nicklaus).  To get advance tee times at #2, and maybe at some of the others, you have to stay at the resort.  

More from Donald Ross would include Mid Pines and Pine Needles, across the street from each other, maybe 4 miles from Pinehurst Village.  Great courses, Pine Needles may be a little tougher, but both are really good.  Mid Pines is my personal favorite in the area.  Southern Pines GC is another Ross course, a very nice layout, much less expensive, but in questionable shape from what I understand.  

While you're in the area, its worth it to drive to Tobacco Road.  Mike Strantz has designed a really difficult-looking course, but there's a lot more room than you think there is.  Its completely different to pretty much anything else I've ever played.

Last, I have to admit I own a condo at the Talamore Resort.  The golf course there is pretty solid, recently renovated, excellent greens.  Our sister sourse is Mid South, Arnold Palmer designed, and a really good course, again with really good new greens.  If you decide not to stay at Pinehurst, I recommend you at least consider staying at Talamore.  You can book all of the golf through the resort with the exception of a few of the Pinehurst courses.  If its just you and your son, I believe there are just a few one-bedroom units available.  There are lots of other options for lodging, from AirBnB to hotel rooms to condos like mine.

Good luck!

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Oops, I almost forgot the Dormie Club.  Designed by Core and Crenshaw, this is a kind of minimalist look, but a very nice course.  Its part of a national network of courses whose stated intention is to make all of their clubs fully private in the fairly near future.  Because there's a chance you don't be able to play it next time you visit, this could be the closest thing to a must-play course right now.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

What 4 courses would be the must plays while we are there? I would like to play 36 a day but not sure the little man will be up for that intense of a golf trip.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I think #2 is a must play if you can make it happen. I prefer # 8 to 4 but have not seen or played the remodel. The cradle also looks fantastic.

Off resort I agree with everyone else. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• 4 weeks later...

And the trip is booked.  Leave out of JFK on March 14th to RDU and spending the night in Raleigh.  Head to Pinehurst on the 15th and play the Cradle the day we arrive.  We have a 9:50 AM time on #8 on the 16th, 9:50 AM time on #2 on the 17th and an 8:50 AM time on #4 the day that we leave.  Going to be a great trip with my best buddy.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

1 hour ago, Jmikecpa said:

And the trip is booked.  Leave out of JFK on March 14th to RDU and spending the night in Raleigh.  Head to Pinehurst on the 15th and play the Cradle the day we arrive.  We have a 9:50 AM time on #8 on the 16th, 9:50 AM time on #2 on the 17th and an 8:50 AM time on #4 the day that we leave.  Going to be a great trip with my best buddy.

You'll have a great time!  Playing those courses, I'm sure you're staying at the Pinehurst Resort.  Does your package include meals, or will you need recommendations?

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

You'll have a great time!  Playing those courses, I'm sure you're staying at the Pinehurst Resort.  Does your package include meals, or will you need recommendations?

We are staying at the Carolina Hotel and we have breakfast and dinner included. I am sure I may venture to Pinehurst Brewing and any other place you can recommend would be great. We are really looking forward to it.

On a related note it is really a family friendly trip. My son was essentially free except for his greens fee on #2 which was still reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

38 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

We are staying at the Carolina Hotel and we have breakfast and dinner included. I am sure I may venture to Pinehurst Brewing and any other place you can recommend would be great. We are really looking forward to it.

On a related note it is really a family friendly trip. My son was essentially free except for his greens fee on #2 which was still reasonable.

The food is great at the hotels there.  When I stayed at the resort (and its been a long time) we could go to any of the hotel dining rooms for meals.  You should get at least one meal at the Holly Inn, the dining room there is very cool architecture.  Its also worth the short walk to drop in at the Pinecrest Hotel, once owned by Donald Ross.  You can even try chipping into the fireplace!

https://www.fayobserver.com/article/20140608/sports/306089836

edit.  It just occurred to me, the main dining room at both The Carolina and The Holly Inn have a bit of a dress code.  I just checked, they ask that you not wear shorts at dinner, so its not really formal, but something to remember when you're preparing to go.

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

The food is great at the hotels there.  When I stayed at the resort (and its been a long time) we could go to any of the hotel dining rooms for meals.  You should get at least one meal at the Holly Inn, the dining room there is very cool architecture.  Its also worth the short walk to drop in at the Pinecrest Hotel, once owned by Donald Ross.  You can even try chipping into the fireplace!

https://www.fayobserver.com/article/20140608/sports/306089836

edit.  It just occurred to me, the main dining room at both The Carolina and The Holly Inn have a bit of a dress code.  I just checked, they ask that you not wear shorts at dinner, so its not really formal, but something to remember when you're preparing to go.

I am in.  Nothing could be better than hitting stinger 5 irons at a board after a few adult beverages.

WITB 2024

Archived