Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How To Remove a Putter Head?!?

Ok so my friends in a little bit of a pickle. He's going to Myrtle Beach in 48 days and is sending his putter to theputterlounge.com for some paint and service. But the wait is 6-8 weeks. He can't wait that long so they said they could have it done sooner if we remove the putter head from the shaft. Only problem is we don't know how to do that. Any help would be awesome. I figured if I was gunna find out how then WRX would know. Thanks in advance guys n gals. And please help!!! Almost forgot, It's a Scotty Cameron Newport putter. I don't know if that makes a difference.

• SPY VIP

1. You will need to secure the head. You can use a vise with protective grips or if you do not have them available you can use another item to protect the head from scratching.

2. You will need to have the hosel or shaft (depending on what type of putter you have) exposed in the vise. You will then need to apply heat to this area in a uniform manner. You can use an electric heat gun or propane torch for this. This will soften the epoxy enough for you to remove the head.

3. Make sure to wear gloves if you are going to be pulling or slightly twisting the shaft near the area you have applied heat to.

4. After about 30-45 seconds check the shaft to see if it can be removed. If not try again for 15-30 more seconds. Should come off easily after that. Electric heat guns might take a little while longer then a propane torch but all can be done in under a couple minutes.

#TruthDigest

Find some thick gloves(I have welding gloves). Heat it at the hosel liberally where the shaft goes in. Wear said gloves and pull and twist. (You can substitute a thick towel if you'd like, I use welding gloves because I have them). You can use a vice if you want with pads (clamp the shaft or you'll melt the vice pads) but isn't required. If you put the head in and are using any substantial heat source (quicker using a torch than a heat gun) the vice pade, unless they're metal (useless) will melt from absorbed heat. That's why I clamp the shaft.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived