Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Tommy Armour Atomic Irons

Our Sponsors

On 12/13/2019 at 10:06 PM, sirchunksalot said:

I'm surprised that your Cobra's spun more than the Lynx, considering your loft difference. But, having played the F8's, they did seem to spin quite a bit. Maybe something to do with the extra milling on the face? I wish I would have gotten photos of the numbers they were putting up when I got fitted. That's the obsession I had with distance whenever I bought them taking over and being what I wanted out of them so bad.

I will say that I took a couple of photos of the Tommy Armour's and the spin on the 7 iron was around 5200 rpm.

I will admit as much as I have brought up the lack of customization in this thread the one thing I have really appreciated about the XP85 shaft is that it's the least abusive steel shaft I've ever hit. I can either play or spend lots of time at the range and not have the soreness in the elbows from hitting so much.

P.S. I think is awesome you went to UT, Go Big Orange!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks for your response!

It seems like the grooves on the F8s are much more pronounced/well machined - which is probably the culprit.

That's great about the XP85. the F8s have XP95 shafts, I think they're great!

• Like 1

Tommy Armour 845 10.5*

:callaway-small: Rogue 3W

:cobra-small: King F7 5W

Sub70 939 3H

Lynx Black Cat //:cobra-small: King F8 5i-GW 

:ping-small: Tour-S 54*/12*

Adams Tom Watson 58*/8*

Tommy Armour 303 Milled Habanero 

On 12/13/2019 at 6:05 PM, JimNantzsToast said:

Thank you for the response!

I was on a Trackman today, hit my Lynx 7 iron about 150 yards with around 5500 RPM back spin (averaging a few swings). I hit my Cobra 7 iron 165 with... ALMOST 12,000 RPM BACKSPIN (averaging a few swings).

12k backspin with a 7 iron going 165 yards??? With all due respect, I find that nearly impossible to believe... Perhaps something was amiss with the trackman?

im not sure it’s physically possible....🤔

• Like 1

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:ping-small: g400 3 wood on Aldila Stiff  not for long! Looking for a MavriK 3-wood!!!

:callaway-small: 816 Big Bertha Alpha 3-wood (stand-in until the MavriK is found)

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

12k backspin with a 7 iron going 165 yards??? With all due respect, I find that nearly impossible to believe... Perhaps something was amiss with the trackman?
im not sure it’s physically possible....

Might have shown total spin. Like side spin and back spin together which I’ve seen on other monitors. For reference on my SkyTrak the highest spin I’ve been able to achieve was 11,800 using a 56 degree wedge and ProV1x.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-G

:cleveland-small: - CBX 52 and 56

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

14 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

im not sure it’s physically possible....🤔

Yeah no disrespect taken - I honestly think something was way wrong + I chopped way down on the ball/bad swing. My local range with the trackman has 2 bays, the right bay seems to always be right/calibrated correctly, the left bay is rumored to be cursed. I think when I played that round it was on the "cursed left bay" that never seems to be quite right.

Tommy Armour 845 10.5*

:callaway-small: Rogue 3W

:cobra-small: King F7 5W

Sub70 939 3H

Lynx Black Cat //:cobra-small: King F8 5i-GW 

:ping-small: Tour-S 54*/12*

Adams Tom Watson 58*/8*

Tommy Armour 303 Milled Habanero 

So, I just wanted to provide another update on these clubs.  Ive kind of started to really love these irons.  I still struggle with control with them sometimes and hitting the ball 10 yards farther than I intend to but most of the time I hit nice, high shots with them that go pretty far and land nice and soft.

Ive started to get to the point where I most holes I try to plan my approach shot where Im 110 yards away from the green and I pull out the AW and it almost always hits these nice, high shots that go 110 yards and the ball stops within a few feet of its pitch mark, even when playing cheap 2-piece balls.

Just yesterday I had probably 4 or 5 shots with the AW where it was like you couldnt have put the ball closer to the flag if you had tossed the ball up next to the flag.

Any time that you, as a 15 handicap, can have the randoms that you get grouped with say to you, "I just love your swing.  It looks so nice and easy but the ball just goes and it goes so high" and you can just smile, knowing that youre really not THAT good and that all you need to do is make a nice, easy swing and let the club do the work.

I just wish that I could figure out why sometimes I struggle to be accurate with them and why sometimes I hit a flier that goes way farther than it should.  Its to the point where now when I judge the yardage, I go by the front edge distance, so that if I really put a whoopin on the ball, it gives me some margin for error.  Just yesterday, on my last hole, I had a 155 yard shot into the green.  I pulled out the 7-iron and just made a nice, easy swing.  The back of the green was about 170 yards and there was a cart path about 20 feet behind the hole with woods beyond that.  I hit a nice, high shot that was tracking right to the flag and I thought it was money but then the ball took a huge bounce (it looked like a superball LOL) and took one bounce into the woods and was gone.  I had to have hit that ball about 175 yards, which is about 15 yards farther than I usually hit the 7.

All in all though, I do really love these irons and for someone who is a high handicap who wants clubs that are forgiving and will help them hit the ball farther, these are good ones.

Obviously, GG/DSG doesnt sell these anymore but I do think that the 845s would fit the same bill and Im probably going to pick up a set of 845 Forged this fall when they go on sale.  Right now they are priced around $350, so Im hoping maybe to pick up a set for about $250 late in the year.

• Like 2

Whats in my Top-Flite Gamer 2019 cart bag?:

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* and Top-Flite Gamer 2020 18*

Hybrid: Top-Flite Gamer 2020 22*

Irons: Pinemeadow ZR 3.0 5-PW

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

Putter: Pinemeadow PGX SL

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I'm glad to hear you're still liking the Atomics, they are great clubs and the price point was amazing. They're fun to hit and the 8-AW, especially, are money. 

They do occasionally have the tendency to hit one crazy long. Most of the time, though, once you know your yardages they are pretty consistent. 

They are just fun to hit and have reignited a joy in me to hit irons. People looking into a set of GI or SGI irons shouldn't let the fact they're exclusive to GG/DSG turn them off. One of the things that has been depressing about the lockdown is not being able to go try the 845 range. The forged really looks good from the pictures I've seen. 

• Like 1

Great reviews of a great product.

I bet the 845's are even better.

• Like 1

Jazz woods (Driver & Hybrids), TNT Silver Eagle Irons, PW & SW, Slotline Inertia putter. TopFlite Gammer.

Keep an eye out, they were $320 the other day

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I'm glad to hear you're still liking the Atomics, they are great clubs and the price point was amazing. They're fun to hit and the 8-AW, especially, are money. 
They do occasionally have the tendency to hit one crazy long. Most of the time, though, once you know your yardages they are pretty consistent. 
They are just fun to hit and have reignited a joy in me to hit irons. People looking into a set of GI or SGI irons shouldn't let the fact they're exclusive to GG/DSG turn them off. One of the things that has been depressing about the lockdown is not being able to go try the 845 range. The forged really looks good from the pictures I've seen. 
I'm hoping they have some stupid crazy deals on the 845s when things start to open up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wedges: Wilson Harmonized Black Chrome 52*, Tommy Armour VCG 56*, Wilson Harmonized 60* and Wilson Harmonized chipper

I’m going to bump this. I recently put the Tommy Armour back in the bag and took them out for a spin.

Little back story. I had been tinkering with my swing and my Pings were set for upright. So thinking that may be wrong for my new swing, I switched.

I just hit my 8 iron 148 yards today. 3 seasons ago that would’ve been 6 iron. Three weeks ago that was a 7 iron. For us high handicappers, I urge you to seriously give these a look. If you’re new to the game five these a chance. I believe I said that a year ago, but I believe these are going to stick in the bag for awhile.

Many thanks for the opportunity, I’m glad I took them out today. As an added bonus, they are sweet to look at too!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Mizuno JPX EZ 3W, 14U

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 18.5

Titleist 816 H1 23

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

1 hour ago, josmi15 said:

I’m going to bump this. I recently put the Tommy Armour back in the bag and took them out for a spin.

Little back story. I had been tinkering with my swing and my Pings were set for upright. So thinking that may be wrong for my new swing, I switched.

I just hit my 8 iron 148 yards today. 3 seasons ago that would’ve been 6 iron. Three weeks ago that was a 7 iron. For us high handicappers, I urge you to seriously give these a look. If you’re new to the game five these a chance. I believe I said that a year ago, but I believe these are going to stick in the bag for awhile.

Many thanks for the opportunity, I’m glad I took them out today. As an added bonus, they are sweet to look at too!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I recently put mine back in the bag after playing for the past month or so with Ping G10s and Cobra AMP Cells.  The TAs are stupid long and forgiving.  The fact that I can go from a 7-iron a 4-hybrid should tell you just how long and strong these irons are.

Ive been playing the Atomics since last summer and while I did struggle with them some with distance control, they are very forgiving and long clubs and I seem to keep coming back to them.  I am probably going to pick up a set of TA 845s this year because they have slightly more traditional lofts than what the Atomics have but Ive enjoyed the Atomics over the last year more often than not and the fact that my bag is pretty much all now Tommy Armour should tell you the impact that the Atomics had.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

These irons are so long, ive kept the 4I in my bag as a driving iron and a gap between my 3 hybrid and 3 wood....sounds strange, but it works

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tsecor said:

These irons are so long, ive kept the 4I in my bag as a driving iron and a gap between my 3 hybrid and 3 wood....sounds strange, but it works

To be fair, the Atomic 4-iron is really more like a 2-iron.  Its pretty crazy to think that the Atomic 4-iron is only 1 degree weaker than my Atomic 5-wood is. LOL

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pingistheanser said:

To be fair, the Atomic 4-iron is really more like a 2-iron.  Its pretty crazy to think that the Atomic 4-iron is only 1 degree weaker than my Atomic 5-wood is. LOL

so true. but the ball explodes off the face....its very hot....

• Like 2

IMG_3738.PNGout of some deep rough, my golflogix told me I was 152 to center, so I added a club and took a nice easy swing. Tommy Armour 6iron 169 yards. I admit I over drove the green, but the wow factor is there.

• Like 2

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Mizuno JPX EZ 3W, 14U

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 18.5

Titleist 816 H1 23

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I was nuking all of my shots 10-20 yards over the green Fri and Sat.  I was playing some cheaper, lower-spinning balls and Im thinking that I may have to start buying balls that are higher spin just to get the darn things to stop.

It was fine in the spring when the greens were soft but now that the weather is warming up and the greens are getting firm, I just cant get the ball to stop unless I hit the front edge of the green perfectly.

I said it when I first got these irons and I'll say it again: these things are very hot irons.

• Like 2