Which Color SM8 should I get?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Which color?

• Black
    • Tour Chrome
    • Brushed Steel

This poll is closed to new votes

Our Sponsors

Ok, you guys talked me into some SM8’s.  I am buying them one at a time because I’ve never gamed Vokeys before and at demo days I haven’t really cared for them.  But with the T100s I am missing a PW.  The set PW is 44... so, I am starting with a 48° wedge, then getting a 54° S grind bent to 53°, then a 58° S grind... toyed with the idea of the K grind, but... maybe next time, or a 62° K grind that would be 16° of bounce... 🤔

Anyways, which freaking color should I get?  Leaning towards Brushed Steel, and maybe black, but Tour Chrome would match the set... what the heck do I pick?

• Like 3

Ok.  I narrowed it down between Black and Tour Chrome.  The Brushed Steel is our, but I’ll leave it in for voting reasons.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Ok.  I narrowed it down between Black and Tour Chrome.  The Brushed Steel is our, but I’ll leave it in for voting reasons.

that’s a shame. i heard the brushed steel are 5 yards longer and spin an extra thousand rpm 😂😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Ok, you guys talked me into some SM8’s.  I am buying them one at a time because I’ve never gamed Vokeys before and at demo days I haven’t really cared for them.  But with the T100s I am missing a PW.  The set PW is 44... so, I am starting with a 48° wedge, then getting a 54° S grind bent to 53°, then a 58° S grind... toyed with the idea of the K grind, but... maybe next time, or a 62° K grind that would be 16° of bounce... 🤔

Anyways, which freaking color should I get?  Leaning towards Brushed Steel, and maybe black, but Tour Chrome would match the set... what the heck do I pick?

Easy BS....works in the wedges flawless

• Like 2

Follow my overall Vegan transition here

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

I just ordered a Black 48 D Grind SM8 to fill a gap between my 43 and 54. 

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

10 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I just ordered a Black 48 D Grind SM8 to fill a gap between my 43 and 54. 

What gap?  43... 54... 60.  Perfect!  😃

• Haha 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

What gap?  43... 54... 60.  Perfect!  😃

you know, I relaize you were at least partly joking.  But at my level there is a lot of truth to that, I sometimes get a kick out of reading about how us amateur golfers get all technical on things that better golfers find a way to work with.  Such as gapping, I mean does it really matter to a 25 handicap if his gaps are 4 or 6 degrees?   And while I'm not quite a 25 I'm including myself in that, as I'm not precise enough to really dial it in like that. 

• Like 3

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

you know, I relaize you were at least partly joking.  But at my level there is a lot of truth to that, I sometimes get a kick out of reading about how us amateur golfers get all technical on things that better golfers find a way to work with.  Such as gapping, I mean does it really matter to a 25 handicap if his gaps are 4 or 6 degrees?   And while I'm not quite a 25 I'm including myself in that, as I'm not precise enough to really dial it in like that. 

Back in my SCOR days I had their wedges in 42, 46, 50, 54, and 58.  Did the nice gaps help my game; not really.  I have found that apparently I don't have the game to take advantage of precise gaps.  I had too many choices for the shot to be played.

Yes, I was partly joking!!  I know it will look nice in the bag though!!  😉

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

8 hours ago, Chip Strokes said:

@Shankster here’s a comparison pic for you of my jet black 56 brand new and after 3-4 rounds of use 

EE8E8BF2-9A6C-4D2B-89B6-CC8EF5288AA7.jpeg

AF2BC881-3E8F-4D90-8CFF-A75D53FB6BA1.jpeg

Thanks.  That rules out black for me.  I believe I have decided to get the set GW anyways.  It’s mostly a full swing club.

I will be looking at the 53° and the 58° in chrome.... but I might be adding the hybrid first. Really wish I was closer to a fitting center.  Can’t decide on a 510 Utility or a Hybrid... 

• Like 5

I'm too late to this party, but I would have voted None of the Above.  Friends don't let Friends play Titleist....   😈

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, or TM TP5

4 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I'm too late to this party, but I would have voted None of the Above.  Friends don't let Friends play Titleist....   😈

What would you recommend ?

11 minutes ago, Shankster said:

What would you recommend ?

Callaway, Ping, or Mizuno near the top of my list,.  For my own purposes, I'd probably look to Maltby wedges first.  They don't have the array of grind options that OEMs have, but they *do* have plenty of sole width options.  I've got a couple Maltby wedges and they're quite awesome.  I'm looking to possibly get a 58* or even a 56*, my wedge configuration is unsettled at the moment.

Side note about the Maltby wedges....  in the question section for the M-Series+ is the following:  The 60 mid is sold out and we will not be getting any more of these M-Series + black wedges in stock. We are making some minor changes to this series and changing from a black finish to a satin finish so that they will be more adjustable for loft and lie. At this time I do not have a date as to when we will see the new model. 

I like this change, as the adjustability issues with the DBM finish make me a bit nervous.  My wedges are the non-DBM Maltby Design wedges that were the predecessory to the M-Series+.

If you're looking for additional commentary about how well they work, I would check a few of the Popeye discussions; some posts in a TS1 or TS2 thread, and there's a TSW thread of its own.  There are several folks who've tried the various models, don't remember seeing negative comments.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, DGS300; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; Golden Ram TW276, DGS; Golden Ram TW282, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 56*, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60*, 1.05 sole, DGS; Maltby Design 60* 1.05 sole, NV105
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, or TM TP5

anything besides black...

Black is for woods and putters...

• Like 1

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Black always black....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

anything besides black...
Black is for woods and putters...

Can’t help it, love the black

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Nothing but Jet Black for me. I hate looking down at a wedge in the bright sun and getting blinded by the reflection from the face of the club.

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi2 9.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TSi3 16.5 / 10.0 GD DI-6X

:titelist-small: TS3H 23°

:titelist-small: CNCPT 5i-48°

:vokey-small: SM8 52° / 58°

:cameron-small: Fastback 1.0 Circle T