Elbow Tendinitis?

Middler

I seem to have developed a mild case of tendinitis in my left elbow, and I want to eliminate it or prevent it from getting worse. Anyone know of any exercises or other proactive preventive measures to combat tendinitis? I wear an arm brace, and I know pain relievers can help after the fact - I'd like to eliminate or prevent it if possible without reducing play (another recommended measure). I am guessing winter play is making the condition worse, hitting from sloppy lies WAY more often than summer...

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

I have been using a theraband flex bar to help with golfers and tennis elbow for the past few months. Seems to be helping but we will see once I get back into testing irons again.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

When I had tennis elbow, these exercises did wonders for me. I did them daily, multiple times per day to stretch & strengthen. One of my co-workers also had tennis elbow and this was one of the videos he was pointed to for relief. 

• Like 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

CBD topical cream worked wonders for me.  I'm now in a physical therapy program that's for my back but some of the exercises have really helped the elbow to the point that I don't even know where the cream is right now (I think in my wife's desk drawer)

Good luck - one of the things that I've learned from my physical therapist is that you normally can play through pain without hurting anything worse - check with your doctor though of course.

• Like 3

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

I just kept using this forearm brace and it has either helped or was a placebo and it went away on its own.  Next up is composite iron shafts for the shoulders and, to a lesser extent, hands.  One of the Canadian guys I play with here in Yuma started using CBD cream last year and said it was helping quite a bit.  

forearm1.jpg.b71060fed553cc3e304250bf471cd7c1.jpgforearm.jpg.a821db7ae90930606436bb8f1f84d841.jpg

• Like 4

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

I developed horrific tendonitis last year and ended up getting the steroid shot, anti-inflammatories and went through weeks of PT. It's certainly better, but honestly has not gotten back to normal. These are the exercises they had me doing at PT and at home. Honestly, the hammer exercise was by far the best for stretching out the tendon and releasing the tension. Use a 16 oz canned good for the wrist exercises and ice the elbow afterwords. Hope it helps.

tennis-elbow-graphic-pic.jpg.8fead5141fbc3ca5bfe5e5a28e7068db.jpg 

• Like 3

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

thank you very much for the recommendations, it's very helpful for me! I am a professional powerlifter and lately, due to very heavy weights, I increasingly feel pain in my elbows. I went to the doctor who prescribed me some drugs that I order from http://powerliftinghigh.com/, which are steroid drugs and help in the restoration of cartilage tissue and inter-articular fluid. Have you tried this option? It helps me a lot. Within a few weeks, my elbows began to hurt much less.

Edited by Marcus Evans

On 2/2/2021 at 9:46 AM, cnosil said:

I have been using a theraband flex bar to help with golfers and tennis elbow for the past few months. Seems to be helping but we will see once I get back into testing irons again.

Flex bars are good. Just be careful the eccentric exercises don’t cause further damage. Research says it should help but it’s 50/50 in the clinic

• Like 1

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

CBS creams are great. Volt stem gel is helpful. All the exercises are correct listed above. Consider seeing and acupuncturist or physical therapist for dry needling. 

I work as an outpatient physical therapist treating elbow tendinitis on a weekly basis. Good luck going forward. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you need anything 

• Like 4

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

• 2 months later...

I still haven’t whipped the tennis elbow. No worse, no better. Straightening my arm is the most painful. It hurts more off the golf course than on, though I am certain golf is the source and aggravating it.

I guess I need to try more exercise, and more often. I’ve been wearing a forearm brace and dropped to playing twice a week instead of three times. Maybe try CBD.

There are a couple sports massage folks around, I may try that too.

• Like 2
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2

Thanks Middleton. This is an excellent topic for our golfers. I too have been attacked by tennis elbow. My remedy was to get a forearm brace. The last two months have plagued my game as I tried several creams without any luck. I finally purchased a forearm brace and wore it yesterday, I was able to shoot a 44/37:81. I will now review and try the exercises shown in the thread. Hopefully I can lick this.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

Mine used to flare up when I started playing 2-3 times per week. I wore a compression brace and that would help on the course. Over time the muscles got stronger and it doesn’t flare up as often anymore. 

• Like 1

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

I’ve been dealing with this issue for awhile, tried the braces and compression sleeves with not much help, based on @revkev recommendation I tried the CBD cream and it seems to work pretty good so far.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

4 hours ago, TBT said:

I’ve been dealing with this issue for awhile, tried the braces and compression sleeves with not much help, based on @revkev recommendation I tried the CBD cream and it seems to work pretty good so far.

I’m tempted to try CBD, but does it “fix” the condition, or just provide temporary pain relief? I’m looking for a fix if possible. Thanks.

I have a golf buddy who had it worse than me, and he got over it with a cortisone shot, I’d like to use that as a last resort.

• Hmmm 1
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2

There are a couple of old people living in the house that used the CBD lotion for a sore swollen wrist and sore knees and it provided relief fairly quickly.  It's hard to say its the placebo effect when the swelling went down so quickly.   I am glad it worked and the cure all trip to the chiropractor wasn't necessary.  

• Like 1

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Snake Eyes 15*, 18* & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Went to GNC yesterday and purchased their CBD sports cream.  Applied it as directed and played 9 holes without the forearm brace.  Arm felt fine. Will continue to use it to see how long it takes to remove this ailment.

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*) & 5-6W(20*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft 

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

So that anyone new checking in doesn't need to pore through pages of stuff I started using CBD cream from GNC based upon my trainer and doctor's recommendation.  Both felt that there was reliable medical evidence as well as anecdotal evidence from their clients and patients to make the recommendation and my doctor suggested GNC as the easiest place to start - doesn't mean that there aren't other good options out there. 

It works very well for me - I've had no elbow issues to speak of since starting to use it and healed from my lower leg injury this year quicker than anticipated in part because of following doctor/trainers orders that included applying CBD cream to the injured area.  I'd like to say that it's 100 percent but as my trainer said, "I'm not one of his athletes."  He's expect a trip to the IL for a similar injury for one of them and a full month before they'd be close to 100 percent.  He's a trainer for the Yankees. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

7 hours ago, revkev said:

So that anyone new checking in doesn't need to pore through pages of stuff I started using CBD cream from GNC based upon my trainer and doctor's recommendation.  Both felt that there was reliable medical evidence as well as anecdotal evidence from their clients and patients to make the recommendation and my doctor suggested GNC as the easiest place to start - doesn't mean that there aren't other good options out there. 

It works very well for me - I've had no elbow issues to speak of since starting to use it and healed from my lower leg injury this year quicker than anticipated in part because of following doctor/trainers orders that included applying CBD cream to the injured area.  I'd like to say that it's 100 percent but as my trainer said, "I'm not one of his athletes."  He's expect a trip to the IL for a similar injury for one of them and a full month before they'd be close to 100 percent.  He's a trainer for the Yankees. 🙂

You convinced me, so I went to GNC to buy their Myaderm CBD Sport Cream (double strength) - but they don’t sell it in NC, can’t order it online either. The guys in the store didn’t know why, just couldn’t help. So I went to a local CBD store but it seemed to cater to beauty clients, so I’m back to the drawing board…

• Hmmm 1
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2