Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Once you see a ball is urethane(short game reasons)....

El Chivo

Whats your next major factor is picking that ball outside of price, lets stick to performance.

• Cobra RadSpeed,Set 8.5
  • Callway BB 4W 15*
  • Cobra  Forged Tec 18*
  • Cobra Forged Tec 2020 4-GW , 4*Flat, Standard
  • 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  SW: RTX 54*
  • 635785482_Cleveland3.png.bafd9f7d003e9f8afcafc6c28e307467.png  LW: Full Face RTX 58*
  • Scotty Cameron Putter: NP2

This is really dicey because there aren't really any specs on a box that could help you out much. The best bet is to use the MGS testing because that is the only way to actually learn anything that may be unique about a ball. Generally, I'll take the higher compression ball but it really varies a lot. 

I look for better feel around the greens, which means a lower-compression offering usually appeals to me. I am also very budget conscious since I still lose way too many balls. Most of the last two years has been Z-Stars when they have the BOGO sales. This year I decided to try out some TP5/TP5x practice balls that can be found for ~$20 per dozen. The x is a little firm, but still responds pretty well around the green for me.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I'm in the same boat as @MaxEntropy. All I am looking for is greenside performance and iron spin. I hit the ball decently far, but even after reviewing the MGS ball data, I see the difference between the longest and shortest off the driver is ~10 yards. If there's less than one club distance, I better love the feel AND get exactly the performance I'm looking for into and around greens. Throughout this year I've already ruled out the TP5x and ProV1x because they are too clicky in the short game, and I have to play my chips and pitches to run out more, a change I am not comfortable making. I did try the previous model of the Tour B X and I really like it, and I have a dozen Z-Star XV to test as well, so I know it's not all X balls that have this characteristic. 

In 2019, I switched to the Z-Star from the Pro V1, and to switch back or to the Tour B X/XS or TP5, it would have to blow me away again. Why spend $50 on those balls when I'm getting the distance, performance, and control I want out of a <$40 ball? TBH, after reading all the data, the only 2 balls I need to consider are the Srixon XV and Snell MTB-X.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

While Distance usually draws me in first - which usually corresponds with higher compression balls (even for my slower swing speeds than @DiscipleofPenick I assume), I too really would like a softer feel around the greens... so I guess my next deciding factor is Balance (between distance and feel).  I gravitated to the Snell Black for that reason, though I also have a doz. MTB-X on standby for when I'm feeling chirpy.  😉 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

Greenside performance ... how does it feel off the putter, how does it react from wedge shots and again on full 8 iron shots

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

In order of preference:

1. Driver flight (typically a characteristic of driver spin)
  2. full wedge/short iron spin
  3. short game control
  4. iron flight (I know it's often correlated with #2, but I tend to hit a very high ball and so I can deal with high spin as long as it's coming in lower)
  5. "feel" including sound off the putter

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

I don't really consider the price.  I'm looking for a ball that is long and straight off the tee, can't be shanked, and rolls on the green where I aim it.  😁

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

6 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I don't really consider the price.  I'm looking for a ball that is long and straight off the tee, can't be shanked, and rolls on the green where I aim it.  😁

I think we are all looking for that ball;  let me know when you find one.   of course you'd never "find" one because you could never lose one. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Sound/feel around the green

Does the ball react how I expect it/want it to around the green and on partial wedge shots

For iron and driver need to fly in window I like to see and not spin too much or not enough. 

Everything I test is compared to a prov1. It has to be better around the green and give me more distance without sacrificing dispersion side to side and front to back

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

While Distance usually draws me in first - which usually corresponds with higher compression balls (even for my slower swing speeds than @DiscipleofPenick I assume), I too really would like a softer feel around the greens... so I guess my next deciding factor is Balance (between distance and feel).  I gravitated to the Snell Black for that reason, though I also have a doz. MTB-X on standby for when I'm feeling chirpy.  😉 

My swing is 107. With regards to the ball test that complicated things as I'm smack in the middle of both data sets. So trying to find a ball that topped out well in both is no easy task. And if you'll see my post in the other ball lab thread, I just don't see a ball jump off the Page that's it's THE ONE. My conclusion is that I'm happy and shouldn't sorry that my ball is a poor choice.

Take Dead Aim

1 hour ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

My swing is 107.

I'm in that 92 mph range... so mid (what I would give for that extra 15 mph you have!).  But my distances are closer to the slow tests (so my swing is not pure evidently... working on that)... so I'm using both sets of data to see what jumps out at me... assuming I'm somewhere in between them regarding the test.  I did a quick distance spreadsheet (taking the balls I was interested in...  and logging the carry and total distances for both slow and mid, and for 8 iron and driver) and then running a few totals... I wanted to see a two shot combo

• Driver carry plus 8 iron carry;
  • Driver total plus 8 iron total; and then
  • Driver carry plus 8 iron total (because some of those roll out distances on the 8 iron just don't seem realistic to me... so I assume the 8i should stop reasonably well, but the driver will roll out). 
    • For example, for the mid speed swing, the TMTR had 8i carry of 160.84 + Driver Total of 284.22 so Grand total distance both shots... 445.06 yards.  

Then I averaged the mid and slow swings with the metrics above to get a 3rd set of data.  From that... The Taylormade Tour Response led in most of the options above... slow swing it did drop down a bit with the driver, and I believe 2nd with 8i if I recall.    Again... this is just looking at distance since I am currently most struggling with my approach shots getting what I feel my distance should be with my irons.  So I considered getting as close as possible to the hole (driver distance) leaving me a shorter approach while also getting a bit of a kick in distance with the approach shots.  I need to log the rest of the balls to be sure I'm not missing anything hidden but I covered a pretty good representation of the leading manufacturers.  

It is logical to me... I'm sure there will be plenty of holes shot in my theory (and justifiably so)... but it is what I'm going with until I figure out a way to apply a metric to "feel".   

I still like the Snells, and will most likely continue to play them... And I'm not against the ProV series... great balls just more expensive if I can get equal or better performance for MY game cheaper... but my results above did prompt me to grab a box of TMTR's to see if I notice any difference to the Snells (and I may hate the feel or the ball flight too... yet to be seen).  As I said above... when talking distance... I like your suggestion of the Velocity... I have a few in my "found" bag that I have been hitting on my home range... and I think that may be a good option if I can live with the spin difference between it a a Urethane ball.   

🤪

Edited by Tiftaaft
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

can't be shanked

I must have missed that on the ball description on the boxes of balls at the local golf superstore 😉

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

42 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

I'm in that 92 mph range... so mid (what I would give for that extra 15 mph you have!).  But my distances are closer to the slow tests (so my swing is not pure evidently... working on that)... so I'm using both sets of data to see what jumps out at me... assuming I'm somewhere in between them regarding the test.  I did a quick distance spreadsheet (taking the balls I was interested in...  and logging the carry and total distances for both slow and mid, and for 8 iron and driver) and then running a few totals... I wanted to see a two shot combo

• Driver carry plus 8 iron total (because some of those roll out distances on the 8 iron just don't seem realistic to me... so I assume the 8i should stop reasonably well, but the driver will roll out). 
    • For example, for the mid speed swing, the TMTR had 8i carry of 160.84 + Driver Total of 284.22 so Grand total distance both shots... 445.06 yards.  

Then I averaged the mid and slow swings with the metrics above to get a 3rd set of data.  From that... The Taylormade Tour Response led in most of the options above... slow swing it did drop down a bit with the driver, and I believe 2nd with 8i if I recall.    Again... this is just looking at distance since I am currently most struggling with my approach shots getting what I feel my distance should be with my irons.  So I considered getting as close as possible to the hole (driver distance) leaving me a shorter approach while also getting a bit of a kick in distance with the approach shots.  I need to log the rest of the balls to be sure I'm not missing anything hidden but I covered a pretty good representation of the leading manufacturers.  

It is logical to me... I'm sure there will be plenty of holes shot in my theory (and justifiably so)... but it is what I'm going with until I figure out a way to apply a metric to "feel".   

I still like the Snells, and will most likely continue to play them... And I'm not against the ProV series... great balls just more expensive if I can get equal or better performance for MY game cheaper... but my results above did prompt me to grab a box of TMTR's to see if I notice any difference to the Snells (and I may hate the feel or the ball flight too... yet to be seen).  As I said above... when talking distance... I like your suggestion of the Velocity... I have a few in my "found" bag that I have been hitting on my home range... and I think that may be a good option if I can live with the spin difference between it a a Urethane ball.   

🤪

I'm gonna plug my numbers into this system and see what it says. Why not see what I get.

Take Dead Aim

11 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

🤪

So I tried out your calculations, though I am only going to look at carry distance. Roll out numbers vary too much, given that this test was conducted on much firmer ground that what I usually have here in Ohio. So I looked at Driver carry distance & 8i carry distance for both 115 & 100 mph, totaled the numbers, then averaged the two sets. Out of the balls I would consider, the winner is....Vice Pro Plus!? That's a little surprising, but numbers don't lie. The Tour B X was 2nd and the Z-Star, which is what I currently play, is 3rd. Overall though, I compared a dozen balls, and there is only 7 yards difference between the longest and shortest. So I'm still not seeing this as a sign that I need to place a bulk order with Vice right now, or any reason to switch balls.

I've said it before, because I think there are 3 or 4 different ball test threads going and I'm in all of them, what this is coming down to is feel & greenside performance. And performance that is what I like, and expect from a golf ball. Unfortunately, that's not quantifiable in a test.  I like to be able to attack a little bit with chips, and with the slightly softer balls, my Z-Star and the ProV1 before it, I can get that one hop bite. After testing firmer balls this year - the ProV1x and TP5x I do not like the way I have to play those in the short game. I have to hit them softer, and allow for run out. Not that these are bad balls, or the quality is poor, they just do not react the way I want them to on the shots I like to play. 

Though I know this doesn't apply to all high compression balls. I played a few rounds with the prior generation Tour B X and I found a Snell MTB-X and played almost 54 holes before losing it. Both of these are in the upper 90s and I didn't get that clicky, hard roll out in the short game with these balls. In fact, the one day I played the BX I had one of my best GIR days of this year and was generating a ton of spin, and it's supposed to be the low spin option. But I think that's relative to the other balls in Bridgestone's lineup.

So my conclusion hasn't really changed. I love the way the Z-Star performs and it's easy to find these for under $40 a dozen, so why pay for the Titleist, Bridgestone, or TaylorMade ball, that isn't going to be too different and just cost me more. All I can do is buy a dozen and try them out, see if there's something I like more. I've already said I want to try the Z-Star XV, because it's the same price point, and while I've been talking about the MTB-X, I should probably try the Black too. If anything's changed, it's that I should also consider Vice as well. If the Pro Plus is the overall longest, it's worth adding to the list.

Take Dead Aim

9 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

So I tried out your calculations, though I am only going to look at carry distance. Roll out numbers vary too much, given that this test was conducted on much firmer ground that what I usually have here in Ohio.

Good Stuff DoP.  Very interesting findings.  I agree completely with your various comments.  Yeah, the roll out numbers on both 8 iron and Driver have me a bit baffled.  I think I would be logging 280 yard drives if I had some of the roll out numbers listed (which I am most definitely not!).  When averaging the mid and slow swing on the 10 balls I chose, I got a difference of 2.5 yards from the top to the bottom (combined carry numbers) but 10 yards when looking at the driver roll out.  Carry to carry is probably a better metric to look at, since the roll out is just icing on the cake (and variable depending on the ground conditions as you suggested) but there is some value in the spin and angle of descent that are used to calculate that roll out... I guess I could argue both options as useful.  Just as a reference, when sorting carry only combo... The AVX leads.. Vice Pro Plus is a close second.  TMTR really shows the distance advantage in the roll out (both with the 8i and the Driver) probably for the reason I mentioned above and more.  Also, if they roll out is significantly higher for that ball than others... that may be exactly the feel you don't like around the greens (which I prefer as well).  Real world test to follow.

I haven't given the Srixon a shake, in fact I didn't include it in my subset of balls (which I will do now to see how it stacks up), but with your recommendation... I will certainly give it a look. 

One other note... it is interesting to me that in my little analysis of the average between mid and slow, the Snells (both versions) are at the bottom of the list in distance in combo carry and combo 8i carry + Driver RO.  It looks to be the slow swing weighting the deviation, because the mid swing seems to add some spark to the Snells, especially the MTBX.

Lastly.. @El Chivosorry for hijacking your thread with this... probably should have been posted in the other Ball Test thread... ~Tim.

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

10 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Good Stuff DoP.  Very interesting findings.  I agree completely with your various comments.  Yeah, the roll out numbers on both 8 iron and Driver have me a bit baffled.  I think I would be logging 280 yard drives if I had some of the roll out numbers listed (which I am most definitely not!).  When averaging the mid and slow swing on the 10 balls I chose, I got a difference of 2.5 yards from the top to the bottom (combined carry numbers) but 10 yards when looking at the driver roll out.  Carry to carry is probably a better metric to look at, since the roll out is just icing on the cake (and variable depending on the ground conditions as you suggested) but there is some value in the spin and angle of descent that are used to calculate that roll out... I guess I could argue both options as useful.  Just as a reference, when sorting carry only combo... The AVX leads.. Vice Pro Plus is a close second.  TMTR really shows the distance advantage in the roll out (both with the 8i and the Driver) probably for the reason I mentioned above and more.  Also, if they roll out is significantly higher for that ball than others... that may be exactly the feel you don't like around the greens (which I prefer as well).  Real world test to follow.

I haven't given the Srixon a shake, in fact I didn't include it in my subset of balls (which I will do now to see how it stacks up), but with your recommendation... I will certainly give it a look. 

One other note... it is interesting to me that in my little analysis of the average between mid and slow, the Snells (both versions) are at the bottom of the list in distance in combo carry and combo 8i carry + Driver RO.  It looks to be the slow swing weighting the deviation, because the mid swing seems to add some spark to the Snells, especially the MTBX.

Lastly.. @El Chivosorry for hijacking your thread with this... probably should have been posted in the other Ball Test thread... ~Tim.

Cool, and wow only 2.5 yards difference, that's not a lot to go on. I did consider the AVX in my results, along with both Snell balls. The AVX is one I can't figure out as I've never really had a chance to play it, but I'm curious. And the Snell's were the same in my report, they were in the bottom half, but again only a yard or so shorter than the current gamer. 

Take Dead Aim

4 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Cool, and wow only 2.5 yards difference,

At the top of the distance list... you are correct... a few yards.  If my analysis didn't show a clear shining star... it did give me a ball or two to steer clear of.  As much as it pains me to say it.. .being a bit of a Mizuno Fan Boy... but the RB Tour X is SHORT - in fact, the range ball had better distance in some of the results.  Those are 10-15 yards I don't want to leave in my bag! (Sorry Mizuno... love your irons!)

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

39 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

At the top of the distance list... you are correct... a few yards.  If my analysis didn't show a clear shining star... it did give me a ball or two to steer clear of.  As much as it pains me to say it.. .being a bit of a Mizuno Fan Boy... but the RB Tour X is SHORT - in fact, the range ball had better distance in some of the results.  Those are 10-15 yards I don't want to leave in my bag! (Sorry Mizuno... love your irons!)

I even went back and looked at spin & height numbers again. Still no change, though the Srixon XV moved up the list to must try soon. I've got a dozen at home, but July & early August had a lot of rain, and I'm not going to test balls in borderline unplayable conditions. Though I supposed this can be skewed because the balls that are the best (highest spinning) off irons & wedges, are also the worst (highest spinning) off the driver. The Srixon balls and Snell MTB-X are just kind of in the center of the curve on both, so they look better when considering averages or medians. I'm sticking to the Z-Star and staying away from any ball that costs more. As different as all these balls are claimed to be by the manufacturers, they're really not that different.   

Take Dead Aim

47 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I even went back and looked at spin & height numbers again. Still no change, though the Srixon XV moved up the list to must try soon. I've got a dozen at home, but July & early August had a lot of rain, and I'm not going to test balls in borderline unplayable conditions. Though I supposed this can be skewed because the balls that are the best (highest spinning) off irons & wedges, are also the worst (highest spinning) off the driver. The Srixon balls and Snell MTB-X are just kind of in the center of the curve on both, so they look better when considering averages or medians. I'm sticking to the Z-Star and staying away from any ball that costs more. As different as all these balls are claimed to be by the manufacturers, they're really not that different.   

Very true comment.

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

... Back in Chicago I had plenty of rounds alone and used them for ball testing. I am not gaining distance at 68, so that is a concern for me and a 3-5 yd difference is an important factor. I found for my game the TP5x and original Kirkland Tour ball were the longest balls and a good 7-10 yds longer than the B-RX. 

... I also used my lw exclusively on bent greens and spin was also of paramount importance. That said, other than soft compression balls I did not find a huge difference in any of the balls I played including TP5, TP5x, ProV1x, Srixon Z Star and XV, Maxfli Tour X and Snell Black around the greens. The one ball that actually spun too much making it unpredictable was the current Kirkland Signature ball. (It was also the shortest off the tee by 10yds+)

... Since moving to Phoenix almost a year ago I am playing more running chips on Bermuda greens with my gw so the spin is not as crucial as it was in Chicago. Still important but not as much as the Midwest. 

... So for me, the TP5x is the best ball for my game with all things considered. And as an old school player I surprised myself by preferring the PIX version over the all white version. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

11 minutes ago, chisag said:

So for me, the TP5x is the best ball for my game

Just curious if you have put the Tour Response in play compared to the TP5x?

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

39 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Just curious if you have put the Tour Response in play compared to the TP5x?

... Got a free dozen with my GolfPass subscription and decent enough ball, but lost distance with my irons as well as releasing more and not the same green side spin. Distance off the tee was comparable. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

53 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Got a free dozen with my GolfPass subscription and decent enough ball, but lost distance with my irons as well as releasing more and not the same green side spin. Distance off the tee was comparable. 

Thanks!

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

The number one ball feature for me is that I'm not thinking about it.

Golf requires some thinking, of course, but the more thinking that I can take out of the equation, the better I'll play.

Thus, the number one feature I seek in the ball that I'm playing is that it's the ball that I played yesterday.

Mind you, I'm not a super competitive player.  Golf is a social activity for me.  Nevertheless, if you're going to play, you want to play as well as you can.

I feel that playing a ball until it goes out of production and off the shelves contributes to that.

When the model goes out of production, then I'll try a few balls until I find the next one.

But I'll be thinking about it, not playing my best, and that will make it harder to choose a new ball.

The first decent round could conceivably decide the question because it's just not in my nature to take notes and keep stats.

By the same token, I can understand a player of a different personality constantly looking for an edge.  

For some people, that latter approach probably works best and is also the most fun.

Over decades of golf, though, we pretty much know how we're likely to go about it.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Well, budget is a concern. I'm a feel person. If it feels good I'll use it. I don't really have easy nor inexpensive access to see exactly where my numbers are or should be. I really wish retailers and mfg's would market 2 pack samples so you could play on course and see how you like them.  The mfg's are not really going to loose out dollar wise. I would be willing to pay a little more for the opportunity to spend less. If I like a brand I'll by them. 

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

When I tested balls, I started on the green.  If you cannot putt with the ball and get a good feel for it, nothing else will matter because you will not be able to feel confident in holing the putts.  Then I went to straight forward chip shots from the fringe to about 50 feet out.  From there to 1/2 shots and then full wedges, 8 irons, long irons, hybrids and finally drivers.  I went out late afternoon and played three shots from each location with three different balls and recorded the results.  Full shots approximate distance from the pins and greens hit.  Chip shots, approximate distance and how many holed.  I got the opportunity to play both bent and bermuda greens here in Las Vegas.  I like the faster smoother bent but most are Bermuda greens.  I have stated before that I am now playing and have for almost a year the AVX because of the overall results.  My index has come down over a full stroke and playing handicap where I now play most of my rounds is 3.

I do switch balls for winter golf from December to mid February and use the tour soft. 

Titleist TS 1 Driver Stiff graphite shaft

Titleist  TS2 16.5 degree 3 wood Stiff graphite shaft

Titleist  TS2 18 degree 5 Wood Stiff graphite shaft

Titliest TS2--21 degree Hybrid stiff light weight graphite shafts

Titliest T200 regular multi-material graphite shafts 2 degrees flat 5 thru gap wedge

Titliest Volkey wedges 54 and 58 stiff multi-material graphite shafts 2 degrees flat

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Trillium Te3 32" putter