Testers Wanted! Takomo Long Game Clubs ×

Anyone completely ditched fairway woods in their bags?

4 hours ago, RwsGolf1 said:

Used to love mine too, now it does not like me.

I had a m5 3w. and it broke. So I got fitted again... it was freaking expensive for a 3w. As I really liked the Graphics design shaft $350 for that alone...best part of using it is driving the greens on short par4s. 

Taylormade M5 Custom Aldila Rouge Black 130MCI SST Pure Shaft

Taylormade M6 3W Hazardus Yellow

Taylormade M6 3H Hazardus Black 

Callaway Apex Pro Forged SST Pure Irons KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Shaft 1degree upright with each 1/2 Shorter than Std.

Taylormade 50, 54 58 Wedges Custom s200 Shaft Stiff

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch Putter 34'' Custom Fit Via Golftec.

Ball Srixon Z Star xv.

Hope this makes sense since everyone’s game is different, but this worked for me. I recently ditched my fairway woods after a deep dive into my game by keeping stats and noting what clubs or shots were costing me strokes. I have always struggled with a left (hook) miss as a right-handed player. My miss was worse with fairway woods and hybrids and as I became a better player, I found myself avoiding those clubs, trying to manufacture a shot with a different club, or the worst, not putting a confident swing on the ball due to not trusting the shot. Stats revealed that I ruined multiple level to sub-par rounds by choosing to hit a hybrid or fairway wood when I should have laid up. The last straw for me was when I was 2 under through 16 and hooked a 230-yard shot into the drink on a par 5 going for the green in two. I made a six, but it was a blemish on a otherwise really good round of golf. It made me start keeping stats and revealed those clubs were my biggest weakness and usually cost me shots. I was blinded by the previous 1 out of 10 good shots I had hit in the past.

This all lead to me revamping my bag and that took a while as well. I’m not long or high speed, so the low lofted driving irons didn’t really help and just caused similar distances from multiple clubs at the long end of the bag. I then found the supposed unicorn of the Callaway UW. I played the 17 and 21 in my wood/hybrid spots and found the 21 to be great, but I couldn’t elevate the 17 even with multiple shaft options. I recently ditched the UW and am currently playing the Cobra King Tech hybrid in 17 and 21 and things are going well so far. They are the only hybrids that I have ever found that can mitigate (not correct or fix) my hook miss. I am giving up yardage from a 3 or 4 wood, but accuracy is increased, and it is minimizing big misses and numbers. Also, I have found I “go for it” less because I just don’t have the yardage to get there. This leads to more safe play and lay ups that have helped my scores.

Keeping stats, being honest with myself, and eliminating clubs that cost you strokes is key.

I did a full bag fitting about a year ago and was advised to ditch the 3 wood in favor of a 3 hybrid and I am glad I did.  It turned out that I got better overall results from a 21 and 24 degree hybrid instead of using a 5 and 7 wood.  The hybrids for me are much more versatile for my game than the fairway woods.

I currently don't have any fairway woods in my bag.  The only downside I've seen is that in really long rough irons can be hard to get through, and my longest club other than my driver is a 5 iron, so it can launch pretty high when I'm in the trees.

Srixon ZX5 MKII

No, actually I just started hitting my 3w much more consistently well. I could always hit it really good sometimes, but now it's more consistent. Thank goodness, because I would get some huge snap hooks with it, more than any other club. Also good thing because it is my newest club and I bought it after a Golf Galaxy fitting (where I also fitted for irons handed down to me). 

Like others, I also don't hit it very often - the odd par 5 where I'll have enough distance remaining, and occasionally off the tee if I need to hit a shorter distance. But it feels great when I hit a good one.

I did bump the adjustable loft from 14.5 degrees +1.5 to 16 degrees, so it's kind of like a 4 wood I guess. For some reason I've always hit it low and I was hoping to get over some big trees on a double dogleg par 5 at my usual course - 2nd screenshot below... still didn't work as I was too close to the far trees to aim at the green. No luck, I can still hit my driver higher. I do tee it higher and hit up on it a little.

I'm mostly replying since it's fun posting screenshots of my shots now, lol. Embarrassingly, it looks like some of my good recent 3 woods come after duffed drives. But I'll own it. The driver is streaky and has streaked negatively lately.

IMG_8446.PNG.768fd289b2653e31ee42e7d8597511bd.PNG  IMG_8447.PNG.001b1aa45ea345de7fc9a8137be672eb.PNG  IMG_8448.PNG.adfc4c81aadb8ad6d9136fe82b9a3638.PNG  IMG_8449.PNG.a31ba3556a5ca3abba2bc73e1c44f3c1.PNG  IMG_8450.PNG.7e85e066a04f8d6e89ef9a0c94a0cea5.PNG  20230919_221732333_iOS.png.f20c9859d9cf48034182ae921de6092e.png

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G400 LST 8.5°

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

I’ve gone back to my old 909, 15.5° 3 wood. It goes maybe 10 yards further than my iCrossover, just in a completely different window. I keep both because my gapping at the lower end is good, so it just means I have more options off the tee. I think I’m hitting that DI well, I wouldn’t see any real difference in my scoring, so dropping my fairway wood wouldn’t be the end of the world

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65TX
Titleist TSR2 15º -  LAGP Tour AXS Blu 70X
PING iCrossover 3i - PING Tour Chrome 2.0 X
Mizuno MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper 
Mizuno T22 47.5º, 52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

Actually, I took out my 3H in place of a 3W. So the top of my bag is D, 3W, 4H, 4I

I couldn’t hit my 3H well or confidently, so it was swapped out for my 3W. What I will emphasize is that for me the 3W is my least favorite club. So now I’m spending more time working on it at the range — both from turf and on the tee. I’m much more intentional about practicing with this club, and I’m starting to see it pay off. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

• 3 months later...

Like many, I was obsessing over this until I had a realization.  Watching a pro golf tournament and noticing most of them don't hit their 3 wood well.  I decided to do a little test on the course.  I hit 3 different clubs from 200 - 225 yards.  With my driver I choked down and hit some 3 quarter type shots.  Hit a 3 wood and a 2 hybrid.  Did this on 9 different holes and hit 2 ith each club.  The results kind of blew me away.  My sawed off Driver was by far the most consistent and accurate.  I could hit high cut shots or higher straight shots.   On 3 different par 3's (190, 205 and 215 yds) I was on with my driver and birdied 2.  I have taken the 3 wood out entirely and couldn't be happier.  I kept trying to find the perfect 3 wood but realized they are super hard to hit and you use them so rarely anyway. Once I took my ego out of it, the answer came to me.   My new set up is kind of weird but it has worked so well for me.  I go:

Driver - Titleist TSI 3 - 8.5

2 Ping G425 hybrid - turned to 16 degrees

3 Callaway Apex UW - 19 degrees

4 New Level driving iron - 24 degrees

6-9 New Level 902 Pd irons

Pw, Uw Ping I210

54 and 58 Cleveland RTX 4

Odyssey Two Ball OG

Titlest Pro V1 Yellow

I too took my 3 wood out months ago.  It was dead weight as I may of only hit it once in 20+ rounds.  My hybrid I do not hit as far but is much more useful.  I hit hybrid yesterday on par 5 about 230 but only average about 205.  I hit my 4 iron off the tee on shorter tight par 4s with better accuracy and consistency.

A former plus handicapper who must settle for mid 70s to mid 80 scores today.  After taking 10 years off due to back issues, my driver length has decreased by 40 yards on average.  I look forward to any training aids, shaft improvements, club enhancements to get back part of what was lost.

I had completely removed woods as well for the same reasons. Always had a 3 wood and almost never used it as I was not any more accurate off the tee and didn’t hit it very well off the ground either. I recently add a low spin 5 wood and so far I am liking it. I am more accurate since it’s shorter and can still hit it high enough to be used into a par 5 if needed. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

I in fact have almost removed my driver in favour of my 3 and now recent 5 wood. Both are much more accurate for me, as I found my hybrids to be unpredictable as well. Before I got the stealth 2+ though, I was terrified of 3 woods and couldn’t hit them

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

I had a Ping G25 3 wood that I never hit, then decided to make an effort to learn to hit a 3 wood, swapped to a TaylorMade M6 and now a Stealth and love the 3 wood again.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

A 3W is the only one still standing, and I go between a BB and an Adams. The BB is in now with a shorter shaft, but the Adams is in reserve. I hit a 3H nearly as far as the 3W, there may be an empty spot soon.

Chasing my ball around the cow field, trying to avoid the “ruff.”

I'm the opposite and I have added more over time.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I have a Cobra Big Tour 3 wood I absolutely love and will not give up until it falls apart, and a Cobra 5w I need to sell at some point because I use a driving iron instead.

Driver - :cobra-small: King SZ 1w 7.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110MSI 60x

Woods - :cobra-small:King SZ Big Tour 3w 13.5° w/ Fujikura Pro 65, King SZ 5w 20° w/ Tensei CK White 70

Driving Iron - :cobra-small: King Utility 2i 16° w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 85

Irons - :callaway-small: Apex '24 Combo set - 4i Pro, 5i-8i CB, 9i-10i MB w/ KBS Tour V 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 52° - S 10° grind, 56° - C 8° grind, 60° - C 8° grind w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue 115

Putter(s) - :odyssey-small: :callaway-small: :scotty-small: :titleist-small: :ping-small:  :nike-small: :wilson-small: O-Works 2 Ball Black, Big Bertha Warbird, Special Select Squareback 2.0, Red X2, Bullseye Original Flange SC, Bullseye Standard Flange SC, OG Bronze Anser, Method Midnight 007, R.Mendralla 8802

+1 i hate the thing!

Driver:           :PXG:0811 XF GEN4 10,5 Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 60 regular shaft.

Hybrids:        :cobra-small:  FLY-Z 3/4/5 , VLCT ALTUS R-flex 75gr. shaft.

Irons:             :cobra-small:  Speedzone One Length Irons 5-GW - KBS Tour 90 Regular shaft.

Wedges:        ST8TS Tour T Wedges 52-56-60 + 1,5cm KBS regular shaft.

Putter:            MLA Tour XDream 'Black Edition' Superstroke 3.0 slim (standard 34")

Ball's:             :honma: D1 and TW-X for the moment till i can find a better deal 😉

Rangefinder:  Garmin Fenix 6X Pro, ZIYOUHU Chinese laser, Garmin Approach X40., SwingU app.

Privileged to been testing the MLA Tour XDream BLACK EDITION SuperStroke 3.0 slim AND SwingU app for MyGolfSpy!

I just added my 3w back to my bag. I was using a 4h and a 3 iron all summer but they were so close in distance it came down to how good I hit it on that day. So I ditched the 3i and added a 3w to close the gap on the top end. BUT I do not have a great long game as far as total distance so...

DRIVER PING.png G425 MAX w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange RAW 55 S 12*

WOOD TAYLORMADE.png.8ad786f4fccdf7215d321a861dfa1c7f.png STEALTH 2 Plus 3w w/ Mitsubishi Kali Red 65 S 15*

HYBRID PING.png G425 2h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange RAW 65 S 17*

HYBRID PING.png G410 4h w/ Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 65 S 22*

IRONS MIZUNO.png.2bd95ff6ee2eb76ff25e7f5057c68c47.png 919 Forged 4i-PW w/ Dynamic Gold 105 S300 

WEDGES PING.png Glide Forged Pro w/ ZZ115 W 50*/58*

PUTTER Cleveland.jpg FRONTLINE 8.0 w/ 35" Slant neck 3*

On 8/17/2023 at 3:43 PM, jbsap said:

As the title would suggest, I am toying with the idea of ditching my 3 wood and adding an additional long iron.  Distance is one of my strengths, and I play my 3 hybrid 19.5 deg. to 240 carry.  My next iron is a P770 4 iron that I play to about 210 carry.  I am horrendous with my fairway wood, but when it does stay remotely straight it is a 270 club and is rarely used for one reason or another.  Thinking about getting a p790 3 iron and adjusting my hybrid to 18 degrees in the hopes of filling that 225 range and having the hybrid jump a few more yards.

Anyone else done something similar?  My gapping towards the bottom of the bag is pretty good so an additional wedge wouldn't help me.  

I am the opposite, my long Irons are poor where my woods and Hybrid's save me, I am thinking of adding more woods and hybrid 's to my bag and take out my long Irons .. 

WITB

D.  CALLAWAY ROUGE

3W. PING245

H2  PING 

H4. PING 22DEG

5.6.7.8.9.PW  CALLAWAY MAVRIK 

50 AND 60 S18s 

Sw 

I took out my TSi2 3@13,5 wood last year because I have always been too steep so hybrids have always suited me better. When struck perfectly or off a tiny tee the length was insane, but mostly it was too low and occasionally topped. After Dechambyfing my swing with the sound advice from Kirk Junge, my driver is so straight that I don't need the 3 wood for accuracy purposes and I never need 250 m in to any hole as a 2nd shot so I have a Ping°G430 22° set to 20,5° and a 17° set to 15,5 and those are so good that I can get 230+ m relatively bulletproof with the 2 hybrid and the 4 hybrid is 200+ m, according to Trackman data, since I live in Iceland and the season is still a good 3-4 months away.

But I could imagine that those who have a shallow attack angle already built into their swing, that 3 woods could be very good weapons, but for someone who started too late and still has to murder the ball every time, which in my case makes me too steep in the downswing, then 3 woods are only useful on a tee and that is only as a shorter driver and who needs that.

Statistically, most people are slicers, i.e. too steep so I would imagine that the tendency overall is that most people would fare beeter with a hybrid as a safe option, and then a 2 hybrid, i.e. 15-18° would be much easier than a 3-wood at 13-15°.

BTW: I am a 1 handicap player, but I always have to fight the old slicer in me. Kirk Junge's method totally worked for me to take it out and speed training absolutely works to get solid length off the tee.

Driver: Cobra Radspeed, x-stiff , 9.0° set to 7.5°.

3 wood: Titleist TSi2, x-stiff , 13,5° set to 15°.

1 hybrid: Adams tour proto, x-stiff Aldila 80g, 16°.

3 hybrid: Wishon 775HS, x-stiff, 21°.

4-GW: Mizuno JPX919 forged, x-stiff.

SW: Taylormade MG3, 56° bent to 55°, medium bounce.

LW: Taylormade MG3, 60°, medium bounce.

Putter: EVNROLL ER2 black.

Ball: Titleist ProV1 or ProV1x

I spend way too much time bombing the driver.

For several years I had no fairway woods in my bag, carrying #1 thru #5 Cleveland Mashie hybrids instead. They were all as easy to swing as each other so the transition between long shots and #5 approaches was seamless. 
I do use a 4 wood now, but #3 thru #5 Mashies are still in my bag.

Don't think I ever could. My 3-wood is ideal for shots where I can't quite trust the aggressive fade from the driver.

It's also really helpful on par 5's

Ryan Gardiner 

Driver: Wilson Deep Red Maxx

Woods: 3W Cobra speedzone

Hybrid: 4H Cobra Speedzone

Irons: Cobra King F8 5-9, PW, GW

Wedges: Rife RX7 60:8 & 56:12

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro Hammer

My 3+ is my go to club when driver is in timeout. Never had a problem with hitting fairway woods because I have a sweeping stroke. Know others that couldn’t hit a fairway wood if their life depended on it. There is no right answer to this question. Play the club that fits your game. There is no one size fits all, including having a bag full of the same manufacturer. 

On 8/17/2023 at 10:43 AM, jbsap said:

As the title would suggest, I am toying with the idea of ditching my 3 wood and adding an additional long iron.  Distance is one of my strengths, and I play my 3 hybrid 19.5 deg. to 240 carry.  My next iron is a P770 4 iron that I play to about 210 carry.  I am horrendous with my fairway wood, but when it does stay remotely straight it is a 270 club and is rarely used for one reason or another.  Thinking about getting a p790 3 iron and adjusting my hybrid to 18 degrees in the hopes of filling that 225 range and having the hybrid jump a few more yards.

Anyone else done something similar?  My gapping towards the bottom of the bag is pretty good so an additional wedge wouldn't help me.  

I’ve been all over the place in terms of use of fairways.  Not very long on distance, so there is a variety of fairways/hybrids in the reserve arsenal.  One of my faves is the SLDR S 3HL (17*) - a good all around fairway.  Even have a SLDR 5w and 4h if I’m in a TM mood.  Right now it’s all Ping - G400 driver, G410 3w (set to 15.5), G400 3h, 4h and soon to be 5h.  Have toyed with the thoughts of long irons, but am more comfortable in the world of hybrids and fairways.  The best part of this thread - variety!  It’s what gets your there in the fewest strokes and you are most confident in playing…..

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

I have had to go 180° in the other direction. Whether because of age or the diminishing of my already minimal skill set; I have lost significant distance in the last year. It has gotten much, much  worse over the last few months. Actually adding more woods and hybrids to the bag and retiring all the long irons.
    As one person, if not multiple people have stated;  your golf game is usually in some state of flux and you just have to attempt to find the varied remedies.