Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Is Golf's Dress Code Outdated?

1 hour ago, Jim Shaw said:

I can say, "time and place" and as long as it isn't loud enough for other groups to hear it.

The Cradle, the nine-hole par-3 loop at Pinehurst, has speakers all over the course and normally is playing music for all to hear. When I played it (twice in one day) they didn't bother to turn them on until I was on 7 on the second loop, but I knew beforehand the speakers were there and my reaction was "oh, there's the music."

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

9 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

It is because YOU are establishing what is acceptable attire and what a person should be spending their money on.

Private clubs have the right to set standards and establish rules regarding attire, etc. and I have no problem with that because people have the right to join (or, more accurately to apply for membership), and if the person is accepted as a member it is with the understanding that that person will abide by the rules as set forth. If a person refuses to abide by those established rules, then he or she (or it or they or whatever their chosen pronoun may be) must accept the consequences.

I am basically talking about "public" golf courses. Although many of these public courses have dress codes, I see them being greatly relaxed or modified to reflect the changes in societal norms. Although I am quite conservative in many ways (after all, I am a USMC veteran from the Vietnam War era and my late father died a Colonel in the Air National Guard, after nearly 40 years of service); however, when it comes to dress codes, I am quite libertarian. If the person is not hurting anyone else (and let's not talk about perceived "hurt" or "microaggressions"), then that person should be able to wear what they feel comfortable in when in public, as long as what they are wearing is legal.

First, thank you for your service. Three uncles and several cousins were Air force - all Strategic Air Command, one uncle was killed when his B47 crashed on takeoff Christmas 1958.

Now… i think you may have done a bit of assuming on my behalf. The only assumption that I was making was that we have been talking about playing courses (any courses -public/private/muni) with dress codes in place and part of that discussion implied “should someone need to acquire certain clothing to play (because of a course’s dress code)”. I didn’t establish diddly squat as far as dress code…. The discussion did.  Variations of dress codes were already stated in the thread and the common requirement seemed to be a collared shirt/polo and non-denim shorts (sometimes not cargo). Golf is not cheap - that is something we pretty much all agree on. I supplied an example of how one could cheaply acquire the needed clothing if you really wanted to play that course. Simple question of choices, priorities, and fiscal responsibility…..…..

Had nothing to do with ME PERSONALLY wanting to exclude them or being elitist…... I really couldn't care less what someone wears to golf or shop at walmart or wherever. No skin off my ass…. If you want to golf naked, have at it and be comfortable in your skin - but don’t put words in my mouth or call me elitist and exclusionary when you don’t know me and have never met me.

I wouldn’t ever wear jeans to play golf, as I would get too hot and they are not flexible enough. I thought I’d never wear 5 pocket pants for golf, but just picked up my first pair in navy. Look like jeans, are super comfortable and are now my favorite golf pants. Heck, they might be my favorite pants. They also look good enough that I wore them on my last date with my wife. 

There have been several comments about showing respect to the game, which fine, but who here ever felt disrespected because someone else on the course was wearing a t-shirt or jeans?

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

A little music is okay, but LIV takes beyond that and it’s obnoxious.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

7 hours ago, bens197 said:

Would it be a bad time to ask some people here if they believe music should be allowed on a golf course?…

I don't think I finished my comments on the dress code yet.  Then again, I did open a bottle of wine last night, after I got started on that, so maybe I did finish it and I just don't recall 🤔

So music...  

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

I was at the range/practice facility and it seems like the general rules or terms for dress code are becoming more relaxed. Saw a few in jeans, normal tee shirts and the like. Everyone enjoying the nice weather and getting good practice in. There are signs about collared shirts and no blue jeans etc, but in general the vibe just seemed a lot more relaxed. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

7 hours ago, Another Steve said:

Golf is not cheap - that is something we pretty much all agree on. I supplied an example of how one could cheaply acquire the needed clothing if you really wanted to play that course. Simple question of choices, priorities, and fiscal responsibility.

I think Steve’s point here is pretty spot on. 

The question “is golf’s dress code outdated?” has been taken in two different directions:

1. Is golf’s dress code out of fashion?
  2. Does golf’s dress code exclude people with financial limitations from playing golf?

I took the article to be about the first direction. My opinion, golf’s dress code just needs to be updated. As a teenager I skied. We used to say, there are skiers and ski bunnies—“bunnies” being the ones who were in it for the fashion and not the skiing. So, really, if someone wants to flaunt the dress code, it helps to bring some skills to the course as well. Eventually the code will get updated.

Regarding the second direction, I gotta say, my opinion, it’s not the golf dress code that financially excludes people, it’s golf. Of course, there are ways to play it cheaply, but in the end it’s still one of the most expensive sports to invest in. Running, swimming, cycling, tennis—all cheaper. If someone says, “I’m in it for the love of the game,” they’ll find a way, just like Tony Finau and Tony’s dad, or get inspired by stories like Tony Finau.

Can a community help some underprivileged play the game they love? Absolutely, but it’s dependent on the community’s goals and helping underprivileged play golf may not be a high enough priority.

So for me, if I’m hellbent on wanting to see the dress code changed at my golf course, then I guess I better get on a board or in a position where I can influence or make that decision. 

Edited by berkeleybob

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

39 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I was at the range/practice facility and it seems like the general rules or terms for dress code are becoming more relaxed. Saw a few in jeans, normal tee shirts and the like. Everyone enjoying the nice weather and getting good practice in. There are signs about collared shirts and no blue jeans etc, but in general the vibe just seemed a lot more relaxed. 

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever been to/seen a range or practice facility that had a dress code before. A couple said “no tank tops”, but that’s it. 

TM stealth 2+ driver

callaway paradigm TD 3 wood

mizuno jpx-921 hm pro irons (4-G)

mizuno t22 54 degree

kirky sig 60 degree

odyssey 2-ball 

9 minutes ago, Mezz said:

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever been to/seen a range or practice facility that had a dress code before. A couple said “no tank tops”, but that’s it. 

This is part of a golfing complex, so basically everyone onside abides by the normal golf rules etc. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 3/15/2024 at 12:53 PM, Cade Rousseau said:

I feel it depends on the type of club you’re playing at. A local muni/par 3 course most likely has lower standards. Personally, I’m not a fan of jeans on the course but it really depends on where you’re playing. Across the board, I feel a polo and khaki shorts/pants should do the job. 

I do enjoy the new trend of hoodies and differing quarter zips. As long as the club sets rules online, players should be held to the whatever standard it is. 

I don't think anyone should ever wear jeans. As you said, polo and khakis (or nice shorts) work perfectly.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

I take pride in what I wear on the course, like I do when I do anything in life.  You are what you wear.  Life is about choices.  Am 77 and as kids our mother would never let us leave the house without loooking our best.  Everything coordinated and appropriate for the event.  I enjoy wearing latest golf apparel.  Outerwear not for tucking in.  Shirts should be tucked in.  Taught dress for success seminars for over 17 years.  In work and life.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

2 hours ago, berkeleybob said:

I think Steve’s point here is pretty spot on. 

The question “is golf’s dress code outdated?” has been taken in two different directions:

1. Is golf’s dress code out of fashion?
  2. Does golf’s dress code exclude people with financial limitations from playing golf?

I took the article to be about the first direction. My opinion, golf’s dress code just needs to be updated. As a teenager I skied. We used to say, there are skiers and ski bunnies—“bunnies” being the ones who were in it for the fashion and not the skiing. So, really, if someone wants to flaunt the dress code, it helps to bring some skills to the course as well. Eventually the code will get updated.

Regarding the second direction, I gotta say, my opinion, it’s not the golf dress code that financially excludes people, it’s golf. Of course, there are ways to play it cheaply, but in the end it’s still one of the most expensive sports to invest in. Running, swimming, cycling, tennis—all cheaper. If someone says, “I’m in it for the love of the game,” they’ll find a way, just like Tony Finau and Tony’s dad, or get inspired by stories like Tony Finau.

Can a community help some underprivileged play the game they love? Absolutely, but it’s dependent on the community’s goals and helping underprivileged play golf may not be a high enough priority.

So for me, if I’m hellbent on wanting to see the dress code changed at my golf course, then I guess I better get on a board or in a position where I can influence or make that decision. 

I definitely agree to an extent.

I don’t think the dress code is really cost prohibitive at all. You can get pants and a collared shirt at Walmart for less than $30. You can find shoes on Amazon for $30 or so. I’ve always personally thought that it doesn’t really matter what a person wears to play, it’s more about whether they have decent etiquette and keep up with pace of play. I get that for more exclusive courses that’ll be different just based off of the type/caliber of people that might play there. Hell, Rahm plays in a t-shirt at his local course all the time.

I’ve been playing for only a couple of years. Getting started is a good bit of cash up front. Probably a couple hundred bucks for clubs, then balls, clothes, etc. I started out playing pretty much only military courses. Since I was lower enlisted, I didn’t really pay much for an actual round of golf (maybe around $30 with a cart). Since then, I’ve moved back to the east coast and only play civilian golf courses. I went from playing 3-5 rounds a week to once every two weeks or so purely based off of price. You can find a decent course here and there for a decent price, but it’s more often than not $80+ for a round of golf. Add that in with recurring costs for a new golfer, such as range time and golf balls (several of which are $50+ a dozen), it can get pretty pricy.

Another thing that could seem super cost prohibitive is that new clubs cost SO much money. $700 for a new driver nowadays is insane. Plus, bigger vendors like golf galaxy, 2nd swing, etc. will give you $100 for a used club and turn around and try to sell it for $300. Newer players might not realize that clubs can last a long time. At least, that’s what I learned. 

In short, I’m right there with ya. It’s not the attire that’s cost prohibitive, it’s tee times and equipment.

TM stealth 2+ driver

callaway paradigm TD 3 wood

mizuno jpx-921 hm pro irons (4-G)

mizuno t22 54 degree

kirky sig 60 degree

odyssey 2-ball 

As a golf enthusiast, I’ve long adhered to the traditional dress code: collared shirts, well-fitted shorts, and proper pants. However, lately, I’ve contemplated a more relaxed approach by wearing untucked, newer T-shirts. Surprisingly, my club permits this, and a fair share of fellow golfers embrace the trend. Yet, there’s one sight that irks me: the sleeveless tees, colloquially known as “wife beaters.” These faded, worn-out relics don’t align with my sense of presentability. It’s disheartening to witness some players disregard pride in their appearance on the course. After all, there’s an abundance of comfortable, stylish casual wear available today. Let’s remember, our golf club isn’t a Walmart store. 

I’m not a gripper and ripper.  I play to my abilities, strengths and try to avoid my weaknesses 

10 handicap 

I wonder how many forums for pickup basketball, or tennis, or pickleball, or fishing, or *insert sport here* have threads with people trying to force their fashion ideas on others who are trying to enjoy their game?

Yes I know some clubs have dress codes. Whatever. That wasn't the question here. It was about whether or not some of those codes are outdated. Which they are. We should be about growing the game and encouraging folks to play in whatever way they're comfortable doing, not whining about how we should look like we did when we went to church in 1954. I don't see anyone complaining that golfers aren't out there in plus 4s and wool sweaters, so I don't see why you should be whining about golfers in jeans and t-shirts. Are they out there trying to have fun? Are their greens fees helping keep courses open? Are they respecting the course? If the answer to those questions is YES then that's all that matters.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I've played at a lot of courses - both exclusive and munis and have never run across people dressed inappropriately. Yes our private club in Ohio had a dress code - but late fall it was overlooked (most of the members were gone). At that club I wore (black) jeans and my wife wore flannel lined jeans - no way we were wearing regular golf gear when it was cloudy, wind blowing 20 mph and 45*. It didn't abide by the dress code but on the other hand it wasn't inappropriate. 

I've never saw a 'dress code' at munis but then I was never looking for one. Have I seen on the course: mankinis? nope. Ladies dressed linked Paige? nope. I'm not offended by joggers type pants, cargo shorts, collarless shirts, ladies in short skirts, etc. I don't think munis need a dress code - most people use common sense. Private clubs - that's their prerogative and something you sign up for when you join. I'm more offended by smokers leaving their butts on the tee box & green or cigar smokers thinking everyone enjoys being downwind of you, then clothing others wear. 

As to cost - yes name brand golf clothing can be expensive, but you can buy same brand golf gear at many discount stores and that clothing is no more expensive then your "daily" type of clothing. In Florida, we have a discount chain called Bealls - where you can generally buy Greg Norman or Nike shirts for $20. Shorts not that much more. 

p.s. Where I think they need a dress code is at Walmart. I was there yesterday and the first 2 things I thought was "do you have a mirror at home?" and "do you really think spandex is flattering"? 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

14 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I've played at a lot of courses - both exclusive and munis and have never run across people dressed inappropriately. Yes our private club in Ohio had a dress code - but late fall it was overlooked (most of the members were gone). At that club I wore (black) jeans and my wife wore flannel lined jeans - no way we were wearing regular golf gear when it was cloudy, wind blowing 20 mph and 45*. It didn't abide by the dress code but on the other hand it wasn't inappropriate. 

I've never saw a 'dress code' at munis but then I was never looking for one. Have I seen on the course: mankinis? nope. Ladies dressed linked Paige? nope. I'm not offended by joggers type pants, cargo shorts, collarless shirts, ladies in short skirts, etc. I don't think munis need a dress code - most people use common sense. Private clubs - that's their prerogative and something you sign up for when you join. I'm more offended by smokers leaving their butts on the tee box & green or cigar smokers thinking everyone enjoys being downwind of you, then clothing others wear. 

As to cost - yes name brand golf clothing can be expensive, but you can buy same brand golf gear at many discount stores and that clothing is no more expensive then your "daily" type of clothing. In Florida, we have a discount chain called Bealls - where you can generally buy Greg Norman or Nike shirts for $20. Shorts not that much more. 

p.s. Where I think they need a dress code is at Walmart. I was there yesterday and the first 2 things I thought was "do you have a mirror at home?" and "do you really think spandex is flattering"? 

I was with you until you said Greg Norman brand, ugh! 

Edited by hoppman

2 hours ago, Mr_BogeyPro said:

I don't think anyone should ever wear jeans. As you said, polo and khakis (or nice shorts) work perfectly.

I say that there is nothing at all wrong with decent jeans on the golf course. The jeans just shouldn't be ripped/torn or covered in horse dung, but otherwise what exactly is wrong with jeans for golf?

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

23 minutes ago, hoppman said:

I was with you until you said Greg Norman brand, ugh! 

I have a strong dislike to Greg Norman - but the shirts are comfy in Florida heat and humidity .  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Time and place. Everyone saying polos and golf clothes are expensive are just looking at the golf specific apparel. You can get a cheap sporty polo from target for 20$ and sporty dressy shorts for 35$. If you want to wear a tshirt and jeans or gym shorts then many munis dont tend to care as long as youre respectful. 
CCs and nicer course deserve the respect of following their dress codes, just like any high end restaurants with dress codes. 
Unless youre playing everyday you can get away with a polo and a pair of shirts for most of a season. There are so many options to make the game affordable, we just choose to spend the high prices on the golf specific apparel.

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

11 hours ago, KC Golf said:

A little music is okay, but LIV takes beyond that and it’s obnoxious.

I agree just for the fact there is too many different styles and listening to more “popular music” styles is just not what i want to hear and i get some people dont want to hear my music. I walked a course with a guy the other day and i didnt even realize he had music playing till the 4th hole due to it being so quiet he could only hear it when walking

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

10 minutes ago, PrismFlopper said:

Time and place. Everyone saying polos and golf clothes are expensive are just looking at the golf specific apparel. You can get a cheap sporty polo from target for 20$ and sporty dressy shorts for 35$. If you want to wear a tshirt and jeans or gym shorts then many munis dont tend to care as long as youre respectful. 
CCs and nicer course deserve the respect of following their dress codes, just like any high end restaurants with dress codes. 
Unless youre playing everyday you can get away with a polo and a pair of shirts for most of a season. There are so many options to make the game affordable, we just choose to spend the high prices on the golf specific apparel.

Quite a few kids in this world cannot afford 55 bucks for one outfit man!!! Shorts and a nice t shirt are 13 bucks at Walmart and if you or anyone else is triggered by a kid wearing a t shirt and shorts learning a sport that gets them away from video games I suggest some therapy because that's just bizarre. To you and me that's a nice cheap way to buy what we like but to many families in the US an extra 5t bucks is not an option

WITB

Driver is PING G430 MAX 10K 9° W/VENTUS BLACK 44.5"  TOUR VELVET GRIP

3 WOOD TAYLORMADE M2 15° W/ADDI BB TOUR VELVET GRIP

IRONS PING G410 4 AND 5 IRON W/X100 

IRONS 6-9 PING I200 W/X100 

WEDGES TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 48° CHROME

VOKEY 52°  56° AND 60 ALL IN CHROME FINISH WITH DYNAMIC GOLD AND MCC+4 GRIPS

SCOTTY CAMERON TOUR RAT GSS 350G MATADOR GRIP

SUN MOUNTAIN C-130 CART BAG NIKON LASER 

TITLEIST PRO V 1

Golf's dress code is something that is on each particular course. They must evaluate changes in style, what the golf industry is pushing as far as fashion, and where they stand on them. Personally, I'm not a fan of the hoodie. That said, some people look at me and my outfits as being garish and "not professional". I say that as long as the course allows it, so be it. Either play it or don't. That's your choice as a consumer.

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade Qi10 Standard, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Wilson D9 4 hybrid, Heat II Single Length Irons 5-SW, Snake Eyes 60' LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

So here is a thought for all of you who Insist on tradition being upheld and a dress code mandatory, You are well within your rights as an American to voice that take and that's a beautiful right to have, So my suggestion is if we choose to hold people down who cannot afford to change their wardrobe to suit the likes of others, let's go find a youth coach or talk to the powers that be at the club and make a nice donation to youth golf for those that cannot afford to go buy a couple "conforming" uniforms. To me it would be hard to offer a recommendation without providing a solution so this way everyone is good!! Surely anyone who needs these "standards"  upheld can afford to help those who cannot afford too. Easy as can be!!!

Edited by Marlin Dave
Misspelled words 🤣

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

13 minutes ago, Marlin Dave said:

Quite a few kids in this world cannot afford 55 bucks for one outfit man!!! Shorts and a nice t shirt are 13 bucks at Walmart and if you or anyone else is triggered by a kid wearing a t shirt and shorts learning a sport that gets them away from video games I suggest some therapy because that's just bizarre. To you and me that's a nice cheap way to buy what we like but to many families in the US an extra 5t bucks is not an option

Woah woah think you took my comment a bit too harshly. Children, yes we are completely on the same page. I didnt name walmart simply cause there isnt one conveniently close to me and i just go to target. 
Im speaking the the adults or near adults that show up Like they are headed to a BBQ. I dont care if someone is playing at a local muni with no dress code and people are playing best to their budget, cause everyone shoild be aloud to play.

BUT i refuse to believe that someone playing 150$+ for a round cant afford a cheap polo and shorts. Im sure there are special cases but in a majority there is not

On 3/17/2024 at 6:05 AM, Yogi B said:

Where I live (Canberra, Australia) we have 9 courses. 1 I would consider an elite/country club course, 7 are member courses that are open to the public and 1 full municipal public course. 2 courses have a very relaxed dress code.

Our muni gives ZERO F's about dress code. I've seen people playing Barefoot out there 😅

The relaxed members course is comfortable with people playing in whatever they want during social tee times, but everyone will at least wear a collar during comp times. I think this is a good compromise. It makes the barrier to entry lower and less intimidating to new players, but maintains a standard for those who want to take the game seriously. I am a member of this club.

I think fully private/elite courses should have the right to maintain a dress code. It's the club's prerogative to dictate the requirement to being a member of an exclusive club. However I think courses that are open to the public should adopt the dress codes of my club and relax the dress code for social tee times. It is a good compromise and it works well. 

Oh any club should absolutely have the right just as any employer has the right to ask his/her employees to wear uniform but should it be the take of the 60 year old conservative man or should maybe the times dictate which direction they go??? There will come a day when all of us conservative old dudes are dead and gone and when we've driven all the young people away who will keep up this silly tradition????

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

I haven't tucked in my shirt while playing golf since my days working the the pro shop in the summertime. That said, I can't afford to play at a country club so have not ever had to worry about it. But if I had the luck to play such a course, I would gladly abide by their rules.

I have no problem with any club or course setting a dress code because if I don't want to follow it I can choose to play somewhere else. And that is everyone's right as well.

:cobra-small: Aerojet LS 9° / Brava BGT SE F/4
:taylormade-small: Stealth FW 5 / TPT 16 MK/MT/SW
:taylormade-small: M3 3/19° Rescue / Fujikura Ventus Red 7-S
:ping-small: iCrossover 4 / :accra: Fx200H M4
:srixon-small: Srixon ZX7 (5-AW) - :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 120
:mizuno-small:  T20 56° & 60°/ :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 125 Wedge
Royal GRIP V Sand Wrap
L.A.B. MEZZ.1 / L.A.B. :accra:
:bridgestone-small: Tour BX

10 minutes ago, PrismFlopper said:

Woah woah think you took my comment a bit too harshly. Children, yes we are completely on the same page. I didnt name walmart simply cause there isnt one conveniently close to me and i just go to target. 
Im speaking the the adults or near adults that show up Like they are headed to a BBQ. I dont care if someone is playing at a local muni with no dress code and people are playing best to their budget, cause everyone shoild be aloud to play.

BUT i refuse to believe that someone playing 150$+ for a round cant afford a cheap polo and shorts. Im sure there are special cases but in a majority there is not

Brother that wasn't any kind of attack towards you at all!! Just kind of a hot topic and I struggle to understand why it matters to another man if Joe Schmo shows up at fricken Arcadia Bluffs wearing a Toga for God's sakes??? I cannot imagine looking across a fairway and thinking "look what that man is wearing we need to stop him" it's just really odd and the kids that are coming up will be the members at our clubs when we are dead and gone and will they even join if held to what some 60 year old white guy says they need to wear??? I just think there are bigger fish to fry than worrying about how another person chooses to dress themselves. I mean a nice t-shirt and shorts has to look better than some of John Dalys golf clothes???? By the way I love John Daly but couldn't pull that look off myself

Screenshot_20240318_104640_Google.jpg

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

I can't think of any rational reason to require a player to wear long pants in 90 degree weather.  Someone mentioned a dress code at Wimbledon.  I'm not a follower of tennis, but I do know at one time long pants were required.  Tennis made the rational decision to allow shorts.  We have all seen PGA players who have big sweat spots on their shirts and pants.  How could sweaty shorts possibly look worse than sweaty dress pants?

In my regular group of mostly old men, we have guys who dress nicely and guys who don't.  We have some guys who wouldn't look "nice" no matter what they wore.  Sort of like Pigpen in Peanuts.  And I don't care.  When I think about how I dressed in the early 70's, I can't possibly criticize someone for what they wear on the golf course or off.

I occasionally play with an elderly man who buys outrageous clothes from thrift shops just to wear on the golf course.  They all adhere to the traditional rules for golf attire but, according to your point of view, he either looks hilarious or hideous. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

30 minutes ago, PrismFlopper said:

I think that we all agree that country clubs and private courses have every right to set and enforce whatever dress codes they wish to establish. It is the public courses that most of us are discussing here.

Side note: I have been playing on the Caliendo Winter Golf Tour for almost 7 years, and one of the major reasons why I joined the tour was because I get to play some of the most exclusive private golf courses in NJ and PA. Most of these are private clubs that I would otherwise never have access to. Some of these clubs have very rigid and restrictive dress codes, and other rules (no hats indoors or on the patio, no changing into golf shoes in your car or anywhere outside of the locker rooms, etc). However, I have seen a few of these “exclusive” private clubs relax or modify their dress codes over the past 2-3 years while others have not done so. When the registration link is posted for upcoming tournaments, there is always a reminder when we are about to play at one of the courses with more restrictive dress codes (no hoodies, no golf slacks with jeans-style pockets, etc). I have a beautiful (and expensive) solid black wool blend sweater that happens to have a hood on it, and it is very warm for winter golf when temperatures get extremely cold. I never thought of it as a “hoodie”, but last year I was asked to remove it if I wanted to play in one of our tour events at a particularly “stuffy” private club. I thought that this was a bit extreme, as the sweater was designed for outdoor athletic activities. It was OK that I was wearing a mock turtleneck thermal shirt with a sort of “dark camouflage” pattern, but I couldn’t wear the snap-front hooded sweater over it ….. and I was mighty cold playing that tournament without the sweater.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

So I think on a golf course there should be some level of dress code. No jeans, no torn or cut  clothing; no super short shorts, golf shoes / appropriate sneakers of some kind. Other than that I am okay with basically anything. May be some leeway with kids if we are looking at trying to raise awareness of golf to elementary school students.

On a range I think anything goes. Let’s attract more people to the sport. 

I agree we should make the sport more attractive to all, but some basics should still apply  

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User