Our Sponsors

10 minutes ago, Alf. S said:

We've had a pretty bad week rain wise so the course has struggled to get us on 18 holes. Last couple of rounds we play 11 holes then restart and play another 7. They have also requested us to walk and carry if possible to protect the course. So it is 4 layers of clothes on top, snood, beanie hat, golf mitts, waterproof trousers and golf boots with stinger cleats  but I'm still out playing. Chipping is particularly difficult at the moment you just can't predict how the ball will react on the 1st bounce, sometimes it rolls out others it just digs in and rolls 6 inches.

Saturday only lasted 14 holes, 15mph wind and a squall came in and just soaked us. Still managed a decent score in trying conditions of 6 over   

Today 5 over for 18 without really making a putt, had my Mavrik Driver back with the lengthen shaft and this seems to be doing the trick, striking the ball really well. 17th is a 275 yd par 4, down wind I can just about make it, putting for eagle twice on it today (missed them both). 

Going to try and play the next 3 days forecast is cold but dry so hopefully get a decent score or 2.

Way to go Alf!!  I could not get myself up for play in those conditions.  I commend you, sir!

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today was a good day.  First hole in one ever.  50° Cobra King wedge from 120 yards.  Hit just past the hole and spun back in. Shot 73 to tie my lowest round ever. Won my match 8 and 6

Un-bloody-conscious! I still can't believe it but I shot a 79! 57% FIR 33% GIR 30 putts.  

****Alert ***** Alert!******Alert!****** sluggo shoots a new PB today !!!!!!!!!!!   -4.......    67. .......    -4. .....    67!   ..... It was a Great day to say the least, and the o

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Way to go Alf!!  I could not get myself up for play in those conditions.  I commend you, sir!

COVID restrictions are pretty tight in Scotland at the moment and golf is about one of the only things you can do. It is what is keeping me sane at the moment. 

• Like 8

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag 

52 minutes ago, Shankster said:

263 3 wood, and like 266 driver.  

This is not uncommon for me. Not all the time but there are holes or times that due to the landing angle my 3w will go almost as far as my driver. My driver is almost all carry but 3w has the added benefit of roll. Not sure if that's the case with you but I wouldn't focus a lot on it. 

• Like 8

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey  SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

7 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

This is not uncommon for me. Not all the time but there are holes or times that due to the landing angle my 3w will go almost as far as my driver. My driver is almost all carry but 3w has the added benefit of roll. Not sure if that's the case with you but I wouldn't focus a lot on it. 

Just makes me wonder why I would ever pull the driver.  My miss with the thing is round ruining.  The 3 wood miss is not nearly as bad.

• Like 8
33 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Just makes me wonder why I would ever pull the driver.  My miss with the thing is round ruining.  The 3 wood miss is not nearly as bad.

If it is always that way then yes I would question it, if it is rare then you should be ok. 

I play a public course most Sunday's. 10th hole is a 400ish yard par 4 with a landing area that is slightly downhill (maybe 5 feet total downhill). There is a bunker at 295. Driver goes in it, so I drop to 3w, which ends up rolling to about 5 yards of it, and I have hit it in it, so I drop back to driving iron and it still gets within 10 yards of it. Haven't hit the driving iron in it yet, but on paper there is 60 yards or more between DI and driver but in reality there are instances where that gap shrinks immensely. 

• Like 7

:taylormade-small:             SIM 9.5* (GD XC 6X) 

:taylormade-small:             SIM 15* (GD DI 7X) 

:taylormade-small:             2 DHY (GD DI HY8X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-PW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                     Vokey  SM8 49 08 F ( KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

2 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

If it is always that way then yes I would question it, if it is rare then you should be ok. 

I play a public course most Sunday's. 10th hole is a 400ish yard par 4 with a landing area that is slightly downhill (maybe 5 feet total downhill). There is a bunker at 295. Driver goes in it, so I drop to 3w, which ends up rolling to about 5 yards of it, and I have hit it in it, so I drop back to driving iron and it still gets within 10 yards of it. Haven't hit the driving iron in it yet, but on paper there is 60 yards or more between DI and driver but in reality there are instances where that gap shrinks immensely. 

Yeah, I hit a 3 iron off the tee today further than a driver... I’ve never liked drivers, actually never liked a 3 wood either, but this thing is my go to. 3 wood was going further than the driver before I messed around with the weights,  I didn’t even use the dang thing at the beginning of the season.  No point.

Been hooking my 2 Hybrid off the planet, so it is in time out. And getting a letting more right to left out of the t100s than I’d like to see on a stock shot.  I’ve tried a few little things to reduce it, but I don’t think I can hold the face off any longer without hoseling them...

• Like 6

39/40 w/30 putts yesterday at Las Barancas.  We teed off at 1155 and finished at 1430.  The courses at midday times are near deserted.  We did have a group behind us but we spaced a hole+ soon after starting... and no one in front that we could see.

The guys are loving the quick play but one commented that he's starting to feel a little cheated as we're heading back home so fast.  Too fast, too slow, too big, too small... we bipeds gripe about almost everything 😆.

• Like 8

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

Shot a 79 today... miracles do happen.  I committed to playing a fade off the tee all day, I had some crap drives into the wind that only traveled 230~ yards, and some down wind shots in the 270+ range. One hole i hit a 3 wood to compare to the driver.  263 3 wood, and like 266 driver.  I really need to figure out what the heck is happening there. I only had one double cross drive, it was pretty bad, but I ended up saving par somehow from a long ways back.

short game let me down all day, the grass is funky right now and it’s pretty mushy out there, so I’ll blame some of it on that.  Great day out there though, and I even picked up a new winter hat, last one on the counter in the pro shop... was a bit chilly out there.

Are you still gaming the Blueprints?

• Like 1

Bladed and hacked my way to a whopping 50 on a soggy and chilly day. The positives..Dinked around a concrete pond and pulled out some practice balls, and i played #18 to a perfect par 5 with a hit fairway and a GIR.  Wouldve hit the bar after for celebration if Oregon was locked down. 

• Like 5

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

1 hour ago, pulledabill said:

Bladed and hacked my way to a whopping 50 on a soggy and chilly day. The positives..Dinked around a concrete pond and pulled out some practice balls, and i played #18 to a perfect par 5 with a hit fairway and a GIR.  Wouldve hit the bar after for celebration if Oregon was locked down. 

We know what you need for Christmas 🙂.

Jack Daniel's flasks, travel bottles, thermal cups and koozies

• Like 7

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

We know what you need for Christmas 🙂.

Jack Daniel's flasks, travel bottles, thermal cups and koozies

I have several but scotch flavored.  Just not in my arsenal today. 

• Like 1

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Our course is closed tomorrow until 9am.  Shotgun start at 10am for Thanksgiving.  42º partly cloudy with a light breeze.  I think the cover is going on the cart tomorrow; it will be a sloooow day.

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Played 9 holes with my Monday walking buddies.  Started par, birdie, bogey, double.  Is that "hitting for the cycle" in golf?? 
Ended up +3 for a 40 on a nice fall day.  Mounds very typical on my course make for interesting lies.
IMG_5442.jpg.c03c8a8e5810a6ea788f262afe5bd719.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I played 9 holes on the Old Course at St Andrews this evening....on a new simulator at a local course. 

It was a Trackman setup, very nice hitting area and the software and sensors worked flawlessly.  The putting was generously set at 6 foot gimmee's.  I think they are trying to get people to love it and join the indoor league they are setting up.

I had 3 birdies, 2 bogeys and 4 pars for a -1 total.

• Like 5

Modern Bag:  Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5;  Callaway Mavrik 16.5* 4W, EvenFlow Riptide 6.0 S 70g;  Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4i, PX LZ 6.0;  Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

On 11/22/2020 at 10:32 AM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Since it was another nice golf day, I decided to hit the links this morning. I decided that I wouldn't keep score today. I wanted to work on a few things. I played well probably in the lower seventys. But it wasnt about how I played it was about how a young member of our club just played yesterday.  About a week ago he was trying to break the clubs low score record. He tied it with a 62. Yesterday he broke the record with a 61 from the blue tees with club witnesses. So here's a 16 year old breaking the club record, and when im playing my best from the white tees he beats me by 10 strokes playing from the blues. I would venture to say i'll see him on TV in the future. He was out there again playing this morning.

Theres a local kid in my zip code doing things like that too... Must be something in the water...?

Anyways, Ive been having a few rounds like yours lately, while working on my swing. Still trying to get my backswing higher, and trying to get the wrists to let the club get to level on the backswing. what I'm doing is taking a few practice swings with the John Daly backswing, where I actually can see the club drop down to the left of me. But when I actually swing to hit the ball it doesn't go that far back, but, I am getting it farther back. Am also making some really good ball contact with a much higher flight too. On the hits where it all works, I'm also getting some really good distance.

Some might wonder why I would be working on a major swing change, and I wonder too. But, the driver swing, and even the irons never seems like its all that it can be. So I cannot help myself with the swing tinkering. My one bud that made the suggestion last year that I had an awfully flat swing started it all, and I have to admit as I keep working on it, Im getting better hits overall. And with the latest change, as its still in its infancy stages, is really phenomenal when I get the whole act together. So now its just the determination factor to stick with it, and to let myself accept the change. Thats the hardest part, to make your brain believe its to right move.

• Like 3

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

18 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Theres a local kid in my zip code doing things like that too... Must be something in the water...?

Anyways, Ive been having a few rounds like yours lately, while working on my swing. Still trying to get my backswing higher, and trying to get the wrists to let the club get to level on the backswing. what I'm doing is taking a few practice swings with the John Daly backswing, where I actually can see the club drop down to the left of me. But when I actually swing to hit the ball it doesn't go that far back, but, I am getting it farther back. Am also making some really good ball contact with a much higher flight too. On the hits where it all works, I'm also getting some really good distance.

Some might wonder why I would be working on a major swing change, and I wonder too. But, the driver swing, and even the irons never seems like its all that it can be. So I cannot help myself with the swing tinkering. My one bud that made the suggestion last year that I had an awfully flat swing started it all, and I have to admit as I keep working on it, Im getting better hits overall. And with the latest change, as its still in its infancy stages, is really phenomenal when I get the whole act together. So now its just the determination factor to stick with it, and to let myself accept the change. Thats the hardest part, to make your brain believe its to right move.

I'm working on driver distance currently.  I was at a topgolf with customers and one of them is a really good golfer. ( At another level ) I watched him put 10 shots in a row within the three inner circles at the far target with a 7 iron. I studied his impact position, weight shift and timing. I am trying to incorporate those positions and timing. So far its working well. I've probably gained another 15 yards.  I think I was doing everything well before but I think I was decelerating coming into impact.

• Like 9

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:cleveland-small: Wedges, CBX 56* & 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"