jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

I hit a small bucket trying to work on the hybrid. It’s not so bad off the tee. Off the ground though is still blah. I just can’t get confident.

Irons and wedges were *really* solid. I ended with a 7i that dropped right on the 150 marker where I was aiming. Now THAT gave me some confidence. Can I take it to the course? Who knows????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Took my newly finished Macgregor combo set to the range again today. Been working on using a stronger grip to keep my long irons from the fade I’ve developed lately. It feels unnatural but ball is staying on target instead of that dreaded 10-15 yard leak to the right so I think I’ve got it under control.

I’ve enjoyed going back to the Mac’s from my KZG’s. The KZG’s are by no means large but the Mac’s just have the size and shape I like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

IMG_1096.JPG

First day of a much needed vacation today. Slept in, took Penny shopping and then hit the range.

Spent first 20 minutes around the green, then hit 3 balls with every club in the bag, a few driver 7 iron, driver 8 iron combos, some partial wedges,- few shots out of the rough, went to the putting green and now at Starbucks having my afternoon coffee break.

The picture of my bag is a tease for the Ping long club fitting test. I’m working hard on the stuff that was fit for. I can say that I really hit driver well - it’s not a part of the test.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

After my disastrous club champ qualifying fiasco last Saturday I fumed for the last 2 days. But as we golfers are keen/mad/stupid/committed/ I was keen to get down the range today and 'sort something out'.

I felt positive and after the first 6 shots that were as bad as Saturday, my positivity turned into gloom and potentially accepting I'm chasing swing fixes every single Gawd Damn day!...........that work for a day then kick me in the guts.

So I set up as normal and made one small but huge change in set up and the results were like I was a teenager again. 6 iron, 5 iron, 4w and driver were all struck sweetly. I'm hoping this one lasts more than 1 day 😂

• Like 5

21 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I hit a small bucket trying to work on the hybrid. It’s not so bad off the tee. Off the ground though is still blah. I just can’t get confident.

Irons and wedges were *really* solid. I ended with a 7i that dropped right on the 150 marker where I was aiming. Now THAT gave me some confidence. Can I take it to the course? Who knows???? emoji2373.png

Hit your hybrid like your 7i... your welcome!  😁

Seriously, I have a similar problem; I'm a sweeper and my tendency is to sweep hybrids too much.  I do better when I hit them more like an iron.  It will feel more solid.

• Like 2

Hit your hybrid like your 7i... your welcome!  
Seriously, I have a similar problem; I'm a sweeper and my tendency is to sweep hybrids too much.  I do better when I hit them more like an iron.  It will feel more solid.

Believe me, I’ve tried that!!! Among many other things.

• Like 1

Went to the range yesterday afternoon.  Had to put the F8 irons on a time out because of bad play the last league night so I swapped bags with the old Mizuno MP57s and TM woods.  Kept hitting off the toe so it must of been me and not the equipment 😁😂🤣.  The F8's are back in the bag as are the Cobra woods...for now....

MDGolfHacker

• Like 5

Got to the range before the kids tennis/golf camp invaded and continued working on using a stronger grip to promote more of a draw in my long irons. Was trying differing amounts of left hand grip to alter my shots.

Took out a newly finished Cleveland Classic TC15 driver that just came off the drying rack and gave it a little test run. Unfortunately the stalls were moved way forward on the range today and a tailwind meant it was only about 190 to the net at the end of the range so I only hit a few with it. It was my first time hitting a persimmon head on a graphite shaft and I was pleasantly surprised with the feel and performance. Best of all, with my stronger grip I was getting a nice draw on my drives, felt really lovely.

This driver needed a bit more work than usual as part of the face on the top line needed to be patched with epoxy where there was wood loss, and the sole was used by a previous owned to pound on rocks but it is back on the course and looks pretty good.

A before and after of the Cleveland Classic.

IMG_0839.thumb.jpg.ec7db1502cff91a1ad05b4fb561e24a4.jpg

IMG_1310.thumb.jpg.05903e269e9b3b07d7e913295e576824.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Just a little work on the range with the driver (mats out rather than grass today) and then some putting practice.

• Like 1

We began a series of days not conductive to the most healthy conditions for us older golfers.  While my conditions are not difficult in terms of breathing, the climbing heat is not good.  By this weekend, we could hit 112º-115º. So, if I don't tee it up by 7:30 or so, I might not.

But, today was not set for a round.  I spent all of the practice with my 50º wedge taking 30 strikes.  The goal was to hit at a number of targets to work on distance and direction with a nod or two towards loft.

The long full shots at 110+ yards  were a great start.  The "+" comes from the post landing roll.  And today, with the exception of a rare try, they were fairly spot on in terms of direction.  While I was hitting full shots, I worked very hard to not tense up and try to overpower the shot.  That is always a problem for me with all 3 wedges.

Less full shots seemed to give up only distance, though it was harder to be consistent in how far I cold expect.  This was a major fault with the wedges in my last round. This needs greater focus.

I do not have a round until next week.  And given the conditions until then, an early morning range set will be just fine to shore things up a little more.

Tomorrow I will work on the 56º.  

• Like 2

after testing 3 woods (sub 70 3 wood is sweet by the way)  I worked on my swing.   Trying to improve my turn, not move my arms away from me at the staart of the backswing, and rotating with the lower body.   Sequencing is off and I have a tendency to try and kill the ball,  but when I do everything right,  the ball flight is pretty nice, contact is center of the face, and ball flight is straight.   Work in progress and will take some time to get it right, but I think it is a good change.   

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, cnosil said:

after testing 3 woods (sub 70 3 wood is sweet by the way)  I worked on my swing.   Trying to improve my turn, not move my arms away from me at the staart of the backswing, and rotating with the lower body.   Sequencing is off and I have a tendency to try and kill the ball,  but when I do everything right,  the ball flight is pretty nice, contact is center of the face, and ball flight is straight.   Work in progress and will take some time to get it right, but I think it is a good change.   

I can relate to this!  Not the sub 70 -- the issues with sequencing.  

• Like 3

Went and hit balls. Worked on tempo and clearing through the shot. At some point this new swing will finally click.

• Like 3

Did a bit of putting from set distances to get some baseline data prior to testing the PuttOut system.

Then I hit about 20 7 irons outdoors for the first time in about 7 months.  It went ok, probably about what I hoped for. After a seriously awful first swing (I know @Shankster has moved south, but I didn't know he'd come this far😉) things improved. The last few swings were solid and I was pleased with the ball flight. Wind was blowing 10-15 mph into and left to right so it was hard to know exactly how my swing was working.

Fingers crossed I pull up ok tomorrow.

• Like 1

Another "get out before it gets too hot" day.

As mentioned, worked a lot with the 56º wedge.  Loft and distance were almost spot on, but took a lot of work before I was happy with direction.  More accurately, how close to target I was with my line.  Eventually, I got good, but it took about 10 smacks before I felt as if I were I control.

I mentioned yesterday that I needed to go back with my 50º to simply solidify what was worked on yesterday.  I did and it went well, better line and better loft even when I employed a full swing.

Tomorrow, solidifying the 56º and adding the 60º.

Did a bit of putting from set distances to get some baseline data prior to testing the PuttOut system.
Then I hit about 20 7 irons outdoors for the first time in about 7 months.  It went ok, probably about what I hoped for. After a seriously awful first swing (I know [mention=69396]Shankster[/mention] has moved south, but I didn't know he'd come this far) things improved. The last few swings were solid and I was pleased with the ball flight. Wind was blowing 10-15 mph into and left to right so it was hard to know exactly how my swing was working.
Fingers crossed I pull up ok tomorrow.

Those dang things sneak up on you. You can call them Alan’s if it makes you feel better. 🤣
  • Like 3

Went and hit balls. Worked on tempo and clearing through the shot. At some point this new swing will finally click.

Tempo, Tempo that is my downfall. When my Tempo is good it’s usually a good shot.

• Like 1

Our 75 year old former tour player says only ever works on tempo when he practices. It’s pretty impressive to watch.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 8:32 AM, perseveringgolfer said:

After my disastrous club champ qualifying fiasco last Saturday I fumed for the last 2 days. But as we golfers are keen/mad/stupid/committed/ I was keen to get down the range today and 'sort something out'.

I felt positive and after the first 6 shots that were as bad as Saturday, my positivity turned into gloom and potentially accepting I'm chasing swing fixes every single Gawd Damn day!...........that work for a day then kick me in the guts.

So I set up as normal and made one small but huge change in set up and the results were like I was a teenager again. 6 iron, 5 iron, 4w and driver were all struck sweetly. I'm hoping this one lasts more than 1 day 😂

Just don't go to sleep.

IMG_1114.thumb.JPG.57d2706a3db3ca1c84c9970902ad5c77.JPG

Worked hard today trying to keep the club head in front of my body. I’ve had two train wrecks the last two times out - much better today - not perfect but a swing thought that works and lots of very good shots.

Then grabbed 9 wood -

IMG_1115.thumb.JPG.b2ade8b8d4f8cc2310ecfbfbb4c34852.JPG

IMG_1113.thumb.JPG.686db8a5261c86f0b7675e688486d31c.JPG

Hit it from the short grass, fairway trap and rough. Just peppered the 175 flag with it - was hitting it too far out of the rough in fact.

I can actually fade the thing if I want (obviously I can draw it.) For me to have a fade on demand is remarkable. About the only good shot that I hit on Tuesday was a fade around trees to get myself back in position on a par 5. Quickly buggered that up with a signature pull hooked 6 iron though. :)

58335508804__B4294619-5A64-4DB1-A247-3B37EB34E6CE.JPG

Finished up here. Part of the issue in league the last two weeks was the aeration - old school large punches looks like it was done yesterday and it’s been 3 weeks. Some of the holes could swallow your ball up, seriously. I had 3 3 putts in 9 holes on Tuesday. Sometimes I don’t have 3 3 putts in a month.

The greens at Bayou are currently running at a 12. Night and day difference. Can’t wait to play there Saturday

• Like 2