jlukes

What/How did you practice today?

5 minutes ago, Shankster said:

True. Greens weren’t as fast either probably.

All due respect to Mr. Hogan but some of his advice isn't tailored to the "average" golfer....some of it is, but there are some things that are either dated or just won't work for guys that don't practice/play frequently.

• Like 2

All due respect to Mr. Hogan but some of his advice isn't tailored to the "average" golfer....some of it is, but there are some things that are either dated or just won't work for guys that don't practice/play frequently.

Of course. Now we have bounce, and moi.

Technology has changed the way we play for sure. Wish I had 8+ hours a day to devote to this game.
  • Like 3

We got more rain again today, so the range was closed. Practice green was wide open and dry, thankfully. Rolled quite a few putts working on maintaining very little tension in my arms and shoulders.

I only had my 54 degree wedge in my practice bag, so I also worked on chipping from the green-side rough. Surprisingly, it only took me about five balls to get the video above.

Chipping has been love/hate relationship for me so far this year. During the last couple of weeks, I've moved the ball further back in my stance and that has helped me to strike it most consistently and get more consistent roll out. I really paid attention today to the amount of grass behind the ball and the amount of roll out I get. Amazing how much more spin you can get with a good, clean lie, even with my Top Flite D2+ Feels (surlyn) that are in my shagging tube. 

Something I've never much considered but is very apparent to me after the last few weeks: For me, there is no "one size fits all" club to chip with. I tried to chip everything with my 54 degree wedge early this season and it cost me. Now, I'm definitely paying more attention to the lie, path to hole, etc. For example, I've found that from tighter fairway or fringe lies, the pitching wedge is the right way to go for me. The additional bounce allows so much more forgiveness if I don't catch the ball perfectly clean.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Shankster said:

Of course. Now we have bounce, and moi. emoji16.png
Technology has changed the way we play for sure. Wish I had 8+ hours a day to devote to this game.

you do! don't sleep! 😂

• Like 2

you do! don't sleep! 

Man. I just turned 36. I need my recovery sleep. Normal stuff I used to do like play 27 holes in a day takes a lot out of me.

Since turning 35 it’s been a downhill slide, even though I am eating healthier, exercising more, etc. just like a light switch went off.

Must have been all of those years of not taking care of myself.... falling down hills on mountain bikes, falling off skateboards on concrete...
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

....furthermore; why would you carry a club in your bag that you can't feel good about putting a full swing on?

not that you SHOULD do it, but if the situation calls for it.

Like @cnosil I rarely use my 58 for full swings but if I'm at the right distance with the right lie I have no problem doing it.  I suppose it's probably me, but when I try just less than a full swing I seem to decelerate on make a bad swing.

If I have to lay up I try to lay up to a full 52 or 56 degree wedge shot.  Much better results for me than a 50 yard guess.

• Like 1

Man. I just turned 36. I need my recovery sleep. Normal stuff I used to do like play 27 holes in a day takes a lot out of me.

Since turning 35 it’s been a downhill slide, even though I am eating healthier, exercising more, etc. just like a light switch went off.

Must have been all of those years of not taking care of myself.... falling down hills on mountain bikes, falling off skateboards on concrete...

36! Your still a yougster

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

36! Your still a yougster

Age is young. Body is falling apart.
  • Like 1

Age is young. Body is falling apart.

Hope not, your not going to like being 70+.
I canceled my tee time for Monday as my knee is not good and shoulder has a bit too much soreness. Be careful .

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I canceled my tee time for Monday as my knee is not good and shoulder has a bit too much soreness. Be careful .

Trying. Shoulder is finally back to near 100%. I am having knee problems myself, 12 years on boats getting beat up is really taking a toll me.

Yeah. If I keep going on the trajectory I’m on I’ll need to be the bionic man to be able to move when my age doubles.

Take care of yourself too!
  • Like 2

On 6/20/2019 at 4:27 AM, Shankster said:

I am benching my 60° this year. I’ve already taken strokes off my game.

Think I am going to change my set up to 50, 55.

If I benched my 60º I would be adding strokes to my game.  It's my goto around the green.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rickp said:

I canceled my tee time for Monday as my knee is not good and shoulder has a bit too much soreness. Be careful 

I was going to say the same thing!!  At 36 I was fearless and recovered fairly quickly.  At 46 I didn't. so I took up golf... now at 72 I don't recover very well from golf!!

Take care everyone!!

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 5:13 AM, cnosil said:

My follow up question would be what is that max swing you should put on those wedges? 1/2? 3/4? A little less than full?

I use full on my 54; it is my 100 yard club and I hit it well. 58 generally sits in the bag and comes out for greenside pitches and chips.

My answer is I Don't Know.  Maybe I could hit better shots if I knew exactly how far a 1/2 or 3/4 shot goes with each wedge, but honestly I'm not good enough to put that swing on a shot every single time.  If anything, I'm consistently inconsistent.  

It's purely feel for me.  How much energy do I put into a basketball shot from various distances?  It's certainly not 100% for every shot.  It's much like the way I putt... looking at the hole when I make a stroke.  I judge the distance, figure about how much the ball will roll, and pick where I want to land the ball on the green.  I can look at a shot and I know that my usual shot with my 60º isn't enough, so out comes the 54º.  

Because I don't hit every shot perfectly, I will get different results every time, but I am not a pro so I expect that.  However, I feel like I do pretty well for my abilities.  Could I do better?  Sure, it's why I keep practicing, and why I've gotten better at my feel shots over the years.

If I had to guess, I hit my 54º around 80y with what I think is an 80% swing.  My 60º comes out on shots inside 40y, but I will also use my 54º at that yardage depending on where the pin is on the green and I need more roll.

• Like 1

I did another driver-heavy range session last evening in the 90* heat that just about wore me out. After my lousy performance last Sunday, I kept wondering why I had such an awful day driving and it dawned on me that I had yet again regressed my grip back to weak and I should-a have known better. So I worked on that and also keeping the face closed which is a struggle for me since my left wrist has limited function. Saw a new video by one of my favorites and it inspired me to give this drill a try...
[/url] Man what a difference! Of 20 recorded shots on my ES 12, I averaged a phenomenal 242.6 calculated total distance!! Additionally the slice & "power-fades" were nowhere to be seen and that for me is a rare event for sure. If I do the right thing with my wrists, I can actually feel the club release as is passes through the ball and my arms feel as if they are being stretched. It feels really powerful and I just gotta figure out how to get that feeling to the course and keep it there.

90 sounds refreshing! Can’t wait until it gets back down there again for us - but that won’t be until October. :(

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, revkev said:

90 sounds refreshing! Can’t wait until it gets back down there again for us - but that won’t be until October. :(

Aaaaaand, I'm sure there's a wee bit of humidity involved there too...just a bit...🥵. My only time spent in Florida was many, many years ago when my new wife & I trekked out there to visit all the Orlando attractions as well as the space center (highlight for me btw). I remember stepping off the plane and just being hammered with what felt like a wall of moisture and heat the likes I've never felt before. All I did was sweat all week and walk around in absolutely soaked clothing every day...and I didn't even golf!

• Like 2

Went to the range again. Hit about 300 balls. Left a little bit of the garbage there today.

My misses are getting closer to target. That’s the name of the game.

• Like 3

After two fairly good rounds, today was a day to see if I am able to do things a bit better with a group of my clubs.  I only hit my 6i, 7i, and 9i.  

The goals were two fold: a much more predictable and usable loft as well as a better line in the shot.

All performed better than they did on the last rounds, with the exception of a push -to-hook a few times.  

The 9i was the best, the 6i was the least good until I had warmed up a bit more.

However...

I have got to stop trying to wallop the shots. If I just make a solid swing I tend to be on a good distance, good loft and acceptable line.  

• Like 3

Today's grouping was the hybrids : 3h, 4h, and 5h. They are 19º, 23º, and 25º.

Started out with about 15 swings with the Orange Whip® to get out a few kinks from a busy week of golf activities.

I did 10 balls with each.

3h was only off the deck.  I have really worked to plant a good set-up and swing.  Loft is much better, but not overly high.  Quick rise at the MOI but rarely gets above 20'.  Distance was an average of 165 and range off the line was about 5 yards either way.  No pull hooks was the major joy.

4h was also only off the deck.  Much more loft with a good average distance of 145. Had one pull hook, but that was the result of a poor swing by me.  I felt it coming mid-swing but I have not mastered the act of stopping mid-swing.  Other than that weird one, the looked good.

5h was again, my inconsistent one off the turf.  If there was a better loft than last time on the course.  Most had a strong height with a nice roll.  Even the ones that were a danger to gophers got an ok distance of about 125.  140 was the "non deadly"  average.  It was the deviation from line that needs work. I mostly hooked and even with simply aiming to cover for it, I was not happy. 

I took a few extra swats with the 5h off a low tee. They were about the same in distance but a bit nicer in alignment and loft.

I may take the same grouping tomorrow to try to maintain a better consistency.

• Like 1

Got some input back from my coach via online lessons. He submitted some drills for me to work on, and answered some questions I had. Excited to move down the line as it’s a really rough patch right now!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Practice is not equivalent to playing. Went to the course early yesterday and practiced pitching and chipping. I did really well and felt comfortable with how I was doing and was hitting my landing spots. Started my round and they were chunked, short, and bladed. Probably only hit 3 decent shots inside 50 yards. I try to practice from various lies and I guess it is just the lack of pressure during practice that contributes to the success.

• Like 2