Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Sneak Peek: Bettinardi BB8 Wide RAW Limited Edition

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

BB8W-RAW-Featured-Hive-Page-.jpg

The Bettinardi BB8 Wide is a 1/150 limited run putter from Robert Bettinardi which features his popular BB8 head style with a slightly wider profile for added confidence at address. The true beauty in this putter lies in its one of a kind appearance, with a forced patina Amber Oxide finish which can be maintained with an oil and cloth or let go for a true rusty appearance. Completing this exclusive offering is a Prototype UST carbon fiber shaft, matching leather grip, and a made in USA leather headcover. This BB8-Wide RAW is limited to only 150 pieces worldwide, and will be available at select Bettinardi specialty dealers, and The Hive online store on November 9th. 

Bettinardi Golf will be announcing their latest limited edition putter later today, but I've got an early look at it for you to check out. Without further delay, I give you the

BB8 Wide RAW LE

BB8W-RAW-Sole.jpg

I think it was about a year ago when Bettinardi rolled out the BB28 RAW as a limited edition, and I seem to remember that it sold out in a hurry. I'd expect the same to happen with this BB8 Wide, and not just for the Star Wars droid connection.

This putter has all of the markings of a truly unique collectable putter, and that should drive putter hoarders to snatch them up in a hurry. Let's check out some of these limited features.

Specifications: Bettinardi BB8 Wide RAW LE

• Material: Soft Carbon Steel
  • Face Miling: Light Flymil
  • Weight: 350g
  • Finish: Amber Oxide
  • Lie: 70°
  • Loft: 3°
  • Toe Hang: 3/4 

BB8 Wide

BB8W-RAW-Sightline.jpg

First and foremost, we are looking at a limited edition head. While the BB8 can be found in the regular Bettinardi BB line, I can't remember ever seeing a wide version. The closest thing that I can compare this wider BB8 head to is their Signature 2 putter from years ago.

I'd be curious to see a side by side with the BB8 Wide and that Sig. I bet that they are close in profile.

RAW

BB8W-RAW-Face.jpg

Though Bettinardi lists the finish on this one as Amber Oxide, make no mistake, this is a RAW aka exposed metal (carbon steel) putter. If you want to keep this one rust free, you'll need a nice gun cloth to keep it oiled and dry. Personally, I don't have the patience and precision to take care of raw, or even black oxide-like finishes. I need lazy an safe finishes, like PVD or copper plating. This BB8 would rust up in a hurry in my stable.

And the thing is, that's totally an acceptable option. Let this RAW beast rust. Allow nature to work some custom magic on the surface, and thus creating a truly one of a kind gamer for you. I'd not be able to handle the rust, but I know that some of you will find it an attractive oxidation.

Leather Grip and Carbon Fiber Shaft

BB8W-RAW-Grip.jpg

I like that this putter has a fancy leather grip, and I think that it has a great complementary color to the putter. I'd likely putt better with a SuperStroke, but for a collectible putter, I feel that the leather is a nice touch.

BB8W-RAW-Shaft.jpg

As for the shaft, I don't know what the hell is going on here. Don't get me wrong, it is cool as hell, but I just don't know how it will affect play. I've had a couple of UST shafted putters in the past, but this one looks a little different from the standard UST frequency-filtered putter shaft. Again though, this is just the cool and unique type of feature that makes a collectible putter attractive to collectors. 

On Sale 11/9

BB8W-RAW-Headcover-1.jpg

So you have about a week to get that PayPal recharged back to $450 before these go on sale. Bettinardi has only made 150 of them, so be prepared to hit up The Hive right away on the 9th. Speciality dealers will have them too, but these are limited, so be prepared.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I ❤️ wide body putters, damn purdy

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Archived