Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Consider coming over this way if you're up to it. Be happy to show ya around. Looking forward to reading about your journey in any case and welcome back!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Consider coming over this way if you're up to it. Be happy to show ya around. Looking forward to reading about your journey in any case and welcome back!

I'd love to, but I'm afraid that with the season starting around here, and having used most of my vacation already, my travel plans for the foreseeable future are quite limited.  I'll just have to slog through another wet Oregon spring and summer......

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

I'd love to, but I'm afraid that with the season starting around here, and having used most of my vacation already, my travel plans for the foreseeable future are quite limited.  I'll just have to slog through another wet Oregon spring and summer......

Understood. If things ease up and the opportunity arises, my offer stands. Cheers!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love this, except that it reminds me that I'll be 50 in days, not months...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GolfSpy Dave said:

Love this, except that it reminds me that I'll be 50 in days, not months...

You better get busy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all - great to hear from you!

 

Secondly why not a Florida trip - imagine what you could knock out in a week here. Disney - 4 courses, Grand Cypress - 3, Falcon’s Fire in the afternoon, World Woods 2 and fly home with 10 great courses in 5 days.

 

Shorter trip how about fly in do TPC Tampa in the afternoon - stay an Innisbrook, knock off two there the next day, stay by Streamsong, hit two the next day and a red Eye home!

 

The possibilities here are endless.

 

Best of luck

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
First of all - great to hear from you!
 
Secondly why not a Florida trip - imagine what you could knock out in a week here. Disney - 4 courses, Grand Cypress - 3, Falcon’s Fire in the afternoon, World Woods 2 and fly home with 10 great courses in 5 days.
 
Shorter trip how about fly in do TPC Tampa in the afternoon - stay an Innisbrook, knock off two there the next day, stay by Streamsong, hit two the next day and a red Eye home!
 
The possibilities here are endless.
 
Best of luck
 
 
Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
 

I love this idea. I might have to get in slightly better playing shape. I’m generally pretty wrecked after 2 days in a row. I played 4 days straight in November, and my back still hurts...


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this idea. I might have to get in slightly better playing shape. I’m generally pretty wrecked after 2 days in a row. I played 4 days straight in November, and my back still hurts...


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy


Mine feels it after 18 yesterday but it’s really from bringing my clubs to 4 for the shot gun start - I loved walking the 18 - I’m going to walk 9 at least every time I play this year - so far I’m up on that pledge. :)

I’m 62 - you can do it buddy!


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great start to 50, Nic!!  

I'll be reading about your accomplishments and hope to see you at the PNW get-together in July.  If you want to play Wine Valley on the way... let me know.  Chris Isaacson, the pro the last couple of years at Emerald Valley has moved back home and is the pro there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Great start to 50, Nic!!  
I'll be reading about your accomplishments and hope to see you at the PNW get-together in July.  If you want to play Wine Valley on the way... let me know.  Chris Isaacson, the pro the last couple of years at Emerald Valley has moved back home and is the pro there.

I miss having Chris around. He is a great Pro.
Wine Valley is on my list of places to attempt to play. If it makes the rotation, I will definitely let you know.




Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2019 at 3:29 PM, MmmmmmBuddy said:

So, its official.  I'm turning old this year. My daughter graduates high school and heads off to college. We just had our 25th wedding anniversary, and I turn 50 in 10 months.

I figured that in order to remind myself that life is for living, I would try to make this year about playing 50 different courses before I turn 50 years old.

For those of you who do not know me, I live in Oregon, work in the golf industry, and I haven't played 50 rounds in a year for over 20 years. 

I will try my best to chronicle my journey to 50 in this space.  I love the community here at MGS. I have been a loyal reader and contributor since day one. My post count is down the past 2 years. I attribute this to much less time looking at a computer, and more time working on my game. I will list the course, city, tees I played, score and any notes/reflections about the facility. 

  • Course#1 - Tetherow GC, Bend Oregon. Sage Tees - 42: Only got to play the front 9 here. Green complexes were nutty. Very large, very fast and VERY undulating. Fair from the tee, but super difficult putting.
  • Course #2 - Talamore, Southern Pines NC, Blue Tees - 78: Nice layout, very hilly. Course was wet from rain and recent hurricane, so there was no roll on tee shots.  Greens were good.  Would play again
  • Course #3 - Pinehurst #4, Pinehurst NC, Blue Tees - 82: Conditions were wet, cold and windy. Didn't detract from the round. Awesome layout. Very difficult approach shots. Felt pretty good with 82.
  • Course #4 - Pinehurst #2, Pinehurst NC, Blue Tees - 85: Tough putting for someone not used to the bermuda greens. I missed everything. Just a fantastic course. I would love to play again when I was fresher.
  • Course #5 - The Cradle, Pinehurst NC, standard tees - I played 27 holes on this 9 hole par 3. It was the most fun I have had on a golf course in years! 10/10 would travel to Pinehurst to play the Cradle all day.
  • Course #6 - Arrowood GC, Oceanside CA, Blue Tees - 76: Very hilly layout. Decent conditions. Greens were difficult to read. Some of the tee shots were undefined. Staff was inattentive. Range and practice green were acceptable.
  • Course #7 - Eagle Falls GC, Indio CA,  Eagle Tees - 76: Very well maintained.Good layout, could be very difficult if it was windy. Would play again.
  • Course #8 - Pacific Dunes, Bandon Oregon, Green Tees - 74: My favorite course. Views are amazing. Bunkers are incredible difficult. Avoid avoid avoid. Greens are firm and subtle.  I love this place.

 

 

MMMMMM Love this, You go get 'em.. I will follow all the way to the end.. 

 

 

On 1/30/2019 at 3:51 PM, GolfSpy Dave said:

Love this, except that it reminds me that I'll be 50 in days, not months...

@MmmmmmBuddy, @GolfSpy Dave I turned 50 in Oct. Last Summer I played the best golf I ever have. Life has never been better Enjoy it there is still plenty to go.. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Immediate follow on this post.  Best of luck, and if you find yourself in the mid-Atlantic, let us know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got news for some of you guys limenting turning 50. That's not old!!! (unless you are comparing yourself to being 23) The good news is that you just might start playing some of the best golf of your life. I'll be 64 next week and at this point I've been playing some of my best the last few years. I get ribbed that the older I get the better I play.  Unfortunately I see so many guys going the other way. Perhaps I'm just lucky. Certainly your health and physical condition determines your ability to play well. I'm expecting to break par this season. Maybe more than once? It's not a goal but just something I think will naturally happen. We shall see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't had much of a chance to play lately.  The weather has been nuts out here.. Rain, Snow, More rain..  I'm ready to move.  I was able to squeeze a few in, with more planned in the coming weeks.  

 

Stay tuned!

 

Course #9 - Meadow Lakes GC, Prineville Oregon. White Tees. - 77   Fun Course.  Lots of water. Not very long, but the wind and the putting surfaces can make for a long day.  My Men's club plays a 3 day Ryder Cup style event in Central Oregon every year, and this year, the snow really limited the options we had for courses.  Meadow Lakes is quite fun, and should be on every play list when visiting Central Oregon.

Course #10 - Crooked River Ranch, Crooked River Oregon. Mixed tees. - Half of this course was snow bound, and we had to play a mixture of the front and back twice to get 18 in.  I have played here in the past, and always had a great time.  If you want a chance at a career low round, play at Crooked River.  The greens are very true and not too fast. The fairways are fair, and there is more than one reachable par 4 (like 3 -6 depending on how far you hit it).  Fun Fun Fun.  

Course #11 - Pine Ridge GC - Springfield Oregon - Blue Tees - 75.  This is my course.  Very sporty and fun track. we can suffer from conditioning issues from time to time, but overall, the golf is always fun.  When the greens heal this spring, I expect to shoot some low scores out here.

Course #12 - Diamond Woods GC - Monroe Oregon. Blue Tees - 72.  Hilly course. Takes a little local knowledge to get it around out there. Very scenic.  Off of the beaten path, but completely worth the trip.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

I haven't had much of a chance to play lately.  The weather has been nuts out here.. Rain, Snow, More rain..  I'm ready to move.  I was able to squeeze a few in, with more planned in the coming weeks.  

 

Stay tuned!

 

Course #9 - Meadow Lakes GC, Prineville Oregon. White Tees. - 77   Fun Course.  Lots of water. Not very long, but the wind and the putting surfaces can make for a long day.  My Men's club plays a 3 day Ryder Cup style event in Central Oregon every year, and this year, the snow really limited the options we had for courses.  Meadow Lakes is quite fun, and should be on every play list when visiting Central Oregon.

Course #10 - Crooked River Ranch, Crooked River Oregon. Mixed tees. - Half of this course was snow bound, and we had to play a mixture of the front and back twice to get 18 in.  I have played here in the past, and always had a great time.  If you want a chance at a career low round, play at Crooked River.  The greens are very true and not too fast. The fairways are fair, and there is more than one reachable par 4 (like 3 -6 depending on how far you hit it).  Fun Fun Fun.  

Course #11 - Pine Ridge GC - Springfield Oregon - Blue Tees - 75.  This is my course.  Very sporty and fun track. we can suffer from conditioning issues from time to time, but overall, the golf is always fun.  When the greens heal this spring, I expect to shoot some low scores out here.

Course #12 - Diamond Woods GC - Monroe Oregon. Blue Tees - 72.  Hilly course. Takes a little local knowledge to get it around out there. Very scenic.  Off of the beaten path, but completely worth the trip.

I've played them all except your course.  Best of luck Nic!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Course #13 -Tokatee Golf Club, Blue River Oregon. Blue Tees - 81. I love this place. If you come to Oregon, put Tokatee on your must play list. The course is always in great condition, and the layout is fun. The greens out there got me this time.  I will get my revenge...

Course #14 - Fiddlers Green GC, Eugene Oregon. 18 hole par 3. - 56. I worked out here for 15 years, and probably played 8 rounds. This course is short with tiny greens. It is ALWAYS windy out there.  If you are in Eugene, go to Fidds for the store, but run around the golf course.  

Course #15 Oakway GC, Eugene Oregon. 18 hole Par 61 - 63. Located in the center of Eugene, Oakway shares the same land as Eugene CC, a top 100 course. It is literally across the street. Unfortunately, they do not have the same turf budget. Oakway can be a fun distraction and a good way to kill a few hours. The Tuesday mens league is legendary. 200+ players every Tuesday.

Course #16 - Mallard Creek GC. Lebanon Oregon, Blue Tees, 79. Excellent mix of long and short holes. nestled in the valley foothills, Mallard Creek is an outstanding value. The conditions could be better, but there are just not enough players out there to justify higher greens fees.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Course #17 - Ocean Dunes Golf Links, Florence Oregon. White Tees - 73. Narrow and short. Bring your accurate clubs to this course, or a few dozen balls.  Fun layout, but can be extremely punishing if you choose the wrong club from the tee or the wind is up. Worth a play if you are in the area.

Course #18 - Florence Golf Links (formerly known as Sandpines) Florence Oregon. Black Tees - 77. This is a big course. Huge fairways and green complexes. Quite a change from Ocean Dunes. The Black tees are 6794 and is rated at 73.6/128. Not terribly long, but difficult when the wind blows. Currently Managed by OB Sports, this course has been though several ownership groups in the past. I would play this place as long as the wind is calm.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

Course #17 - Ocean Dunes Golf Links, Florence Oregon. White Tees - 73. Narrow and short. Bring your accurate clubs to this course, or a few dozen balls.  Fun layout, but can be extremely punishing if you choose the wrong club from the tee or the wind is up. Worth a play if you are in the area.

Course #18 - Florence Golf Links (formerly known as Sandpines) Florence Oregon. Black Tees - 77. This is a big course. Huge fairways and green complexes. Quite a change from Ocean Dunes. The Black tees are 6794 and is rated at 73.6/128. Not terribly long, but difficult when the wind blows. Currently Managed by OB Sports, this course has been though several ownership groups in the past. I would play this place as long as the wind is calm.

Are you playing any courses up in my area?  If you do and want some company, give me a shout.  BTW, Wildhorse just bought Pendleton CC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was playing good golf in my 50's (not at your level, but as an 8 hdcp).   If you're down in Medford area and want to play RVCC, give me a hollar.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...