Thin2win

“Ninety percent of putts that are short don’t go in.”

I've always liked that quote from Yogi Berra. It also is painfully evident to my golf game that I need to pay more attention to it. I've noticed over the years that  I tend to leave more putts short than I roll long. It is something that I haven't paid too much attention to, just aware that I should try to get putts to the hole more often.

Watching golf for many many hours this weekend I decided to count how many putts the pro's left short... it turns out, that unless they are outside 25', they don't. They always get it to the hole, go figure.

Checking my Shot Scope putting data... I manage to leave 72% !!! of my putts short. This has gone from minor thought in the back of my mind to 5 alarm fire that I need to address now. I have a new goal in golf, 0 putts per round left short. I have to trust that I can make the 4' come back putt.

I don't know how many of you out there suffer from this same issue. But I challenge all of you to never leave a putt short. If you need to say it in a very marine sounding voice akin to never leaving a man behind, then please do. 

Let me know if you can successfully pull this off. Apparently, I am only 14 putts/round from success....

• Like 8

Oh yeah .. good distance control on putts is just one of the many things that separates we mortals from the pros on TV....

Are you leaving the flagstick in? Studies show 😉 it can help, especially on long putts - so try to hit the stick!

Anyway... Practice practice practice practice. And then some more practice, really working on lagging balls to the fringe and/or to random spots on the practice green. Oh and also the "Ladder" drill.

And if that doesn't help, well.....change putters... 😆😆😆

Oh, PS: yeah I leave plenty short and yeah it's frustrating.

My nemisis!  Always been a die it in the hole type of putter, even though I know I need to be more aggressive.  What the mind tells you and what the body does are not always in harmony.  Seems like when I practice, I'm fine but when the putt is on the line I'm not as well disciplined.  

• Like 2

It depends on how long your putt is. Short and medium range yes, but I will take a long putt being short all day long if the next putt is within my make range.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

My nemisis!  Always been a die it in the hole type of putter, even though I know I need to be more aggressive.  What the mind tells you and what the body does are not always in harmony.  Seems like when I practice, I'm fine but when the putt is on the line I'm not as well disciplined.  

Same here.  I have great confidence and results on lag putts but, once inside that 3 foot circle of terror, my make percentage continues to be problematic.  I think it comes down to confidence - being able to drive them into the back of the cup.  Pros have that confidence, the vast majority of us mere mortals do not.  The fear of having to make a subsequent 2 footer is real. So, we approach these short putts with apprehension and not with the same level of confidence as longer putts.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My speed control is not good, but I never practice it, so it’s highly unlikely it will improve!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Same here.  I have great confidence and results on lag putts but, once inside that 3 foot circle of terror, my make percentage continues to be problematic.  I think it comes down to confidence - being able to drive them into the back of the cup.  Pros have that confidence, the vast majority of us mere mortals do not.  The fear of having to make a subsequent 2 footer is real. So, we approach these short putts with apprehension and not with the same level of confidence as longer putts.  

Most knee knockers (2-3 footers) don't really bother me much.  It's those mid range putts 5-15 feet that get to me the most. 

• Like 3

Speed control has always been a big issue for me. Going to try and take a little feel out of long putts this year and be more conscious of how far I bring the putter back for 30 or 40 footers on the practice green before a round.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Get you a 3’ putting circle from eyeline or something similar and setup on the practice green. Grab 20 (4 locations 5 ball each) balls and set them up at 12,3,6,9 starting at 12’ and place one 3’ further back on same line. Then putt all the balls at 12’ then 15’ and so on. The goal is to have 10 balls minimum finish inside the circle. 

Repeat the drill using 4 different locations.

another drill is to get 8 balls and plane them at 4 and 5’ at 4 locations and samething putt all 4’ then all 5’ goal is to make 6 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Most knee knockers (2-3 footers) don't really bother me much.  It's those mid range putts 5-15 feet that get to me the most. 

I'm just the opposite.  The further out the more confident and I end up past the hole almost as often as short.

Oh... putting...

My putting was so bad a few years ago that I’d purposely miss the green so I could chip instead. Worked great for my “scrambling” practice but instead of working on the problem (putting) I let it get worse.

Put a few hours of practice in and what do you know, my putting improved. Not sure on my stats for leaving them short, I’d probably say .500? If the snow ever melts I’ll pay attention this year.

• Like 1

I want to add, lots of you have talked about the ladder drill, or getting putts inside a hula hoop. And those are the things I have practiced. One of the reasons I've never thought too much about leaving putts short is that I rarely 3 putt and generally my distance control is within a foot or two, just constantly a foot or two short. 

So lag putting is what I've practiced, and do pretty good at. I just need to lag it 3 feet past the hole from now on. 

Glad I'm not the only one Yogi is speaking to. 

• Like 3

90% ? I don't get it 🙄

100% of putts I leave short don't go in.

I have found that if you say to yourself "dont be short, dont be short" just before you putt you will inevitably leave it short. It's as if your brain only hears "be short"

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I've found that if I use an intermediate target for alignment, I tend to leave putts short.  When I focus on that target, I'm also imprinting the distance to that target on my mind.  I now try to choose a target that is pin high or just past, which helps me to imprint both distance and line when I'm getting set up.

• Like 1

I'll add one more thing. Just leave the pin in all the time. You'll make everything. Right? LOL

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I noticed that I was leaving my putts short last season and after some advice from my wife, I realized that I was leaving the majority of my weight on my back foot.  There is no way to consistently get the ball to the hole if your weight is shifting to your back foot or staying there period.

I began truly focusing on feeling like 75% of my weight was on my front foot, and this really helped me get the ball to the hole more consistently.  Make sure you check on those feelings in your stance to make sure that you are not setting yourself up to leave the putt short with fundamentals that are out of sync.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, CarlH said:

..same here..........

• Like 1

8 hours ago, palvord said:

I noticed that I was leaving my putts short last season and after some advice from my wife

A wife that provides golf tips... now that's a bonus!  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Bill Gwinn

• By Maltenator
      I'm super interested in getting rid of my Garmin Approach G8 and picking up a Shot Scope V2. It has awesome reviews, and I feel my game can improve from it. Can't beat the price of $189, compared to others of $250 or more, and no tagging needed. Also, there needs to be a specific tech talk location in the forums. Just my thought 
      If you have one what are you thoughts, would you recommend, and have you noticed an improvement to your game through the data it provides?
      Shotscope.com
      Thanks,

Matt
    • By Golfspy_CG2
      GOLFTEC Unveils Enhanced Putting Lessons Powered by TECPUTT

(Englewood, CO.) – GOLFTEC – the world leader in golf lessons and premium club fittings – has taken its renowned instruction to the next level with introduction of enhanced Putting Lessons powered by TECPUTT, a proprietary software system built by GOLFTEC’s in-house team of golf instruction experts and product designers.

Rolled out this month at select GOLFTEC locations nationwide, the company’s new offering utilizes special putting sensors that pair with a comprehensive analysis app to provide real-time, actionable motion analytics, 2D & 3D synchronized graphical playback, video capture, automatic cloud-based record keeping and more.

The company’s philosophy is that consistency and repeatability are the key elements shared by all good putters. GOLFTEC Coaches help show students why they aren’t hitting more predictable putts and recommend a plan to develop their skills.

“GOLFTEC strives to provide an environment for total game improvement and a crucial element to lowering scores is building confidence and skill on the green,” says Joe Assell, Co-Founder and CEO of GOLFTEC. “Our students have access to the best Coaches for all elements of their game, be that analysis of the full swing, club fitting or our new enhanced putting lessons.”

TECPUTT software, combined with insight from GOLFTEC’s highly-trained coaches, uses a variety of tools to analyze student performance, including:

·         Target Line Analysis: Display of the length, duration, and accuracy of the proper putter orientation

·         Face & Loft: Complete analysis of face, loft angles and their relationship

·         Putting Score: Quantitative assessment of progress

·         Result: Record, review and compare putting performance

Enhanced Putting Lessons are the latest addition to GOLFTEC’s world-renowned teaching technology, which includes advanced motion measurement, video analysis and premium launch monitors to help any student find the lesson plan best suited for their unique needs. GOLFTEC students drop an average of seven strokes from their scores.

GOLFTEC continues to establish itself as the world leader in golf improvement with more data on the golf swing than anyone else in the world, thanks to its award-winning SwingTRU Motion Study. The global GOLFTEC coaching team is comprised of experienced instructors that have graduated from GOLFTEC University – a multi-week certification program based around a curriculum of mastering advanced training of golf swing mechanics and GOLFTEC’s proprietary technology used in all Training Centers. The majority of GOLFTEC Certified Personal Coaches are PGA Professionals who have taught thousands of lessons.

To learn more about GOLFTEC and the new Enhanced Putting Lessons, please visit www.golftec.com or call 877-446-5383.

About GOLFTEC

Since 1995, GOLFTEC has become the world’s largest provider of golf lessons and premium club fittings, operating more than 200 corporately-owned and franchised Training Centers in all major U.S. cities, Canada, Japan, Hong Kong, China and Singapore. A top employer of PGA Professionals, the company’s 700-plus coaches have taught more than nine million lessons with students dropping an average of seven strokes from their scorecards.  Its highly-trained coaches leverage leading-edge technology for a completely fact-based approach to instruction, practice and club fitting. GOLFTEC’s leadership position in golf improvement is augmented by its SwingTRU Motion Study™ – the largest study ever conducted on golf swing mechanics.
      ###
    • By Golfspy_CG2
      It's been one of the most talked about training aids this year, and has popped up in use by golfers all over the world, including professional tours. But now you'll get to see real everyday golfers like yourself use the full Putt Out system. They'll use it indoors, they'll use it out doors, they'll use the whole system, they'll use parts of the system independently.  You can follow it all in this thread and best of all, you can get direct feedback from them on how it works for them, their likes, dislikes and most importantly see if it has improved their putting.

Direct access to their links are below.

@Kanoito                           Stage 1                      Stage 2
      @HardcoreLooper             Stage 1                       Stage 2
      @Peaksy68                        Stage 1                       Stage 2
      @tommc23                        Stage 1                        Stage 2
      @gaussman1                     Stage 1                        Stage 2                  
    • By Golfspy_CG2
      TESTERS ANNOUNCED!
      Let's congratulate these forum members:
      @Kanoito
      @HardcoreLooper
      @Peaksy68
      @tommc23
      @gaussman1
      Full announcement is found here.
      It begins with the Pressure Putt Trainer. A very simple looking plastic ramp with a hole  in it. Has to be easy right?  Well give it a go and let us know.  it in of itself would be enough practice for you. But PuttOUT has developed a full system, each of which could be used independently, but when combined make for very impressive and effective methods of practicing your putting. 
      It can be used indoors with the PuttOUT mat, it is also very effective on the actual putting green with any combination of the mirror, gate and Pressure Putt.      
      How To Apply
      This opportunity is open to any golfer who lives on the planet earth!  We are looking for five dedicated forum members who will use the system and report back their honest thoughts in a full thorough and comprehensive review.
      Please provide the following info in a separate post below...DO NOT QUOTE this post.
      First Name/State or Country
      Handicap
      Have you ever used a putting training device before 
      We'll be selecting the testers late next week, so be sure to check back to see if you've been selected.

• By JBones
      OFFICIAL FORWARDGOLF PUTTER GRIP REVIEW

Follow along with our 10 testers as they review the ForwardGolf putter grip, the grip that was designed to put your hands in the perfect position for putting.  Does that design lead to more made putts?  Read the review below to find out.

Without further ado, meet the testers.....

Without further ado, here are the testers.

Super Dave    Stage One          Stage Two          Stage Three

wersty             Stage One          Stage Two          Stage Three

armour248      Stage One          Stage Two          Stage Three

Pablo6060      Stage One          Stage Two          Stage Three

Aubrey40        Stage One          Stage Two          Stage Three

benlowery       Stage One          Stage Two          Stage Three

KB McCool      Stage One          Stage Two          Stage Three

rc990n            Stage One          Stage Two          Stage Three

jberhart           Stage One          Stage Two          Stage Three

gary507          Stage One          Stage Two          Stage Three

Let us know what you think!

Visit ForwardGolfs website HERE