Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How long did it take for you to get "good"?

Love this thread. Not that my golf game is anything to write home about, I do think it's about enjoying yourself, done friends, getting outside and challenging yourself. And gosh does it ever!

I will say, one thing that's hit me recently is how many people I see in single digit HC (which I would consider very good, if not excellent, golfers) with not that great looking swings. I think that's really due to the fact that 1) course management is huuuuuuuuuuuuuge 2) committing to being really solid chipping and putting helps your score tremendously, and 3) being consistent with your swing once it's at a serviceable point and learning your tendencies (with small tweaks and improvements along the way) will be way better in the long run than taking a new swing thought into every round you play.

Enjoy the grind playa!

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

• 3 weeks later...

I don't consider myself 'good' yet.  Been playing about 13 years total, but the last 3 fairly seriously, recently dropped to 29 hcp and looks like dropping more very soon.

Not especially unhappy with my game overall and I would certainly consider myself 'competent' though. 

To me good is a relative term. Good is what you determine "Good" is for you. For me it was single digit handicap. I started playing in my early 20's and for the next 25 years I had no goal. I played a half dozen times a year most of the time simply because my job required me to work six days a week 60 hours a week sometimes more. In my late 40's I finally had time to play and practice the game. It took me about 5 years to get to playing between a 5 and an 8 handicap. When I reached that level I was satisfied and stayed there until my late 60's.  Now I am in my late 70's and due to physical problems over the last 10 years I don't keep a handicap. My goal now is to play all year round, play three times a week and enjoy the game of golf. I don't keep score on paper, but I pretty much know what I shoot most of the time. It is more enjoyable to just go out and play 18 with out any limitations on how I hit the ball or what my score is now.