Sign in to follow this  
perseveringgolfer

Persevering decides (at last) on a new driver

Really need to take your idea and put it to work. My modern classic bag thing went by the wayside.

Congrats on finally deciding! Maybe someday I’ll have that same feeling! 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, 00sportsman said:

Congratulations. It sounds to me like the Cobra was the clear winner. So that's a new driver and a new putter. What's next?

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

better swing, lose 2 stone, hair transplant, 6 pack😂

• Haha 5

29 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Narrowed it down over the last few months based on looks and initial feel of a few shots when I could 'try' one.

Eliminated Ping G410 on looks, sound and feel.

Eliminated Callaway on looks, sound and feel.

Eliminated Titleist on inconsistent feel and results.

Demo'd the Taylormade M5 v's Cobra F9 v's Titleist 910D3 (current gamer) today using new Wilson balls and flightscope.

Overall;

TM and Cobra were similar lengths - averaging 225yd carry with some at 240yd carry. Titleist average 210yd carry.

TM spin avg 2500 - Cobra 2250 - Titleist 2900.

TM launch avg 12*-14* - Cobra launch avg 12*-15* - Titleist launch avg 10*-13*.

TM ball speed avg 140mph - Cobra ball speed avg 143mph - Titleist ball speed avg 138mph.

Swing speed avg with Titleist 98mph-100mph, TM 101-103mph - Cobra 101-104mph.

TM Tensei shaft was a full one inch longer than the Cobra Fujikura or the Titleist Diamana whiteboard 70. 

At address the Titleist and Cobra sat square, TM looked slightly open. All heads were at standard A1 setting (neutral). TM and Cobra heads were 10.5 while Titleist was 9.5 so not exactly like for like but it gave me a good idea.

Dispersion was large with Titleist, half as narrow with TM M5 and tighter still with the Cobra F9.

So after all that what am I going to go with? you guessed it....................sticking with the Titleist 910D3.

/joke😂

The Cobra F9 won overall plus when I stepped on a drive (you have to try that as well during a fitting as that's what you'll do on the course) the Titleist was poor, the TM was good and the Cobra was great, Swing speed went up to 104-105 with TM and Cobra on a crushed drive while it stayed nearer 102 with Titleist but the TM and Cobra retained dispersion.

Just have to have a quiet word with SWMBO to justify the outlay but I think she'll approve as it 'could' make me happier on the course, and we all like a happy ending😉😂

Sorry for the long post but thought it worth sharing as I haven't changed driver in a very long time.

Love hearing that you decided on the Cobra F9!

It's a fantastic club. Can't wait to hear your results on the course.

• Like 2

Best of luck with it!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

On 6/11/2019 at 6:38 AM, perseveringgolfer said:

Sorry for the long post but thought it worth sharing as I haven't changed driver in a very long time.

Can't say I blame you. As many around here know; until about 2 months ago I'd been playing a 2014 SLDR. I just couldn't find any reason to ditch it. And I tried a couple of times. However, I'm now playing the new Exotics EXS and to date it's been a very good upgrade.

• Like 3

Cobra knows drivers. Good choice!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I did have to chuckle because this does show how different each of us is.

I could care less about looks, feel or sound in my driver.

I care about the ball flight that it produces -if the ball looks good coming off the club I will get used the the other stuff quickly

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

On 6/11/2019 at 5:04 AM, perseveringgolfer said:

better swing, lose 2 stone, hair transplant, 6 pack😂

How much is 2 stone?

1 minute ago, Sluggo42 said:

How much is 2 stone?

28lbs