GolfSpy STUDque

[POLL] Play Pebble Beach? Or other?

Pebble Beach Poll  

166 members have voted

1. 1. If you've got $3000 to spend on a once-in-a-lifetime golf experience, would you choose Pebble Beach or something else?

• Play Pebble Beach
    • Full set of PXG
    • Golf Academy
    • Celebrity Instructor
    • Launch Monitor Studio
    • Other
  2. 2. What greens fee would you be willing to pay to play Pebble Beach?

• $500+
    • $400-499
    • $300-399
    • $200-299
    • $100-199
    • $1-99
    • Only if it were free

Our Sponsors

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Launch Monitor plus in-home studio

SwingBay-CCE-2_NEW_C.jpg

Then I must change my vote to this!!!!  Would love to have one.

CURRENTLY TESTING: SkyCaddie SX400

:ping-small:  G400 Driver, Alta CB 55 S, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 3W, Alta CB S Flex 65, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 19*, Alta CB S Flex 70, Winn Dri-Tac

:ping-small:  G400 4-U Irons, Alta CB S Flex, Winn Dri-Tac

:callaway-small: Smart Sole SW,

:odyssey-small: White Steel 2 Ball SRT Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab Grip

Wow!!  PB raised their rates from $550 to $575.  I really don't think that's going to have much of an impact on their tee sheet.

• Like 5

Aging sucks...  Are you tough enough to get old?

4 hours ago, vrnyn said:

I understand the arguments for and against the $500 green fee. I bet at $500 the Pebble tee sheet doesn't sit empty.

From the article, Pebble Beach's tee sheet remains sold out at 100% year round.  So yeah, they could probably charge twice as much and still sell out.  The people who are paying whatever it costs now to play Pebble obviously have the money to spend whatever it takes to play there.

I find this similar to Super Bowl tickets.  The NFL could probably charge $10k for a Super Bowl ticket and still sell out.  The trick is find that sweet spot where you get to 99% sellout for whatever your price point is.  Reason why 99% because then you know you've found the top asking price without reducing your vacant inventory.

Same deal with Disney.  They could charge $250 a day for a kid and families would probably still pay it.  They have too many people in the parks as it is now, so they are foolish for not charging more.

• Like 1

• :ping-small: G400 Driver, 3 Fairway
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Irons - 18° & 21°
  • :Hogan: Ft. Worth Hi Utility Iron - 24°
  • :callaway-small: Forged Razr X 6-A Wedge irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 54° & 58°
  • :ping-small: Sigma2 Tyne Putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:NX7 Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Honestly if you gave me $3k for a golf experience I don't know that that is enough money for me to make what I want to have happen, happen.  Beyond playing the courses at Bandon Dunes, and Cabot Links, I now have a new favorite destination that I'd like to pursue in this lifetime, and that is of New Zealand and Australia.  But regardless of where it is we go, golf is better experienced with 3 good friends.  I ain't spending that kind of money alone.  That's completely pointless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Wow!!  PB raised their rates from $550 to $575.  I really don't think that's going to have much of an impact on their tee sheet.

I paid $525 at Pebble and $375 at Spyglass.

I met a guy from Houston when we were waiting for our flight to Santa Clara that was headed to Pebble with his family ( he's been going annually since the 70s). He say back in the 70s he and his buddies would rent a house on Spyglass for $150 / night and the green fee at Spyglass was $25 and Pebble was $40 😮 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

:titelist-small: TS2 10.5* Driver HZRDUS SMOKE 60g Stiff :titelist-small:TS2 15* Fairway HZRDUS SMOKE 70g Stiff
:titelist-small: 818H1 19* Atmos Tour Spec 8S Stiff :titelist-small: 818H1 23* Mitsubishi Tensei CK 60HY Reg :titelist-small: 818H1 27* KBS Prototype 95 XStiff   (2019 MOST WANTED HYBRIDS)
:titelist-small: 716 AP1 6 - PW,  Kuro Kage Low Balance Graphite Stiff +0.5" 1* upright

:titelist-small::vokey-small: TVD 52*M SM4 inscribed WILLEY   Aerotech Steelfiber i125 xflex plus 1", 1* upright

:titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 Tour Chrome 56*    Tensi Red R Graphite plus 0.75" 1* upright

:titelist-small::vokey-small: TVD 60*M SM4 inscribed WILLEY   Aerotech Steelfiber i125 xflex plus 1", 1* upright

:cameron-small:  Monterey California 35" :scotty-small: Midsize Matador grip

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS  Align XL      

:titelist-small: Staff Bag

Tested :bridgestone-small: Prototype Balls       Tour B RXS                                                                                        :Arccos:

Tested:image.png.8e77a45b1fe8c9cfb7c2a61386f855a5.pngBlack Cat irons 5 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Graphite Regular +0.5" 1* upright                           697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Great Poll!  I voted the Launch Monitor Studio.  I've always dreamed of this since seeing them in the box retailers and online.  You have very few opportunities here in Indiana (like most northern states) to play golf from November to April.   Having a simulator within reach, would keep me much more motivated throughout the non golf season.  As it stands now, I tend to lose focus due to lack of play and don't really get the itch to play until around mid February.  

Not really the name of the game, but was part of my thought process.  I fancy myself a pretty good traveler and I can usually find some deals, thus I feel like I could get to Pebble and Spyglass at substantially less than $3k.  

• Like 1

Driver: :titelist-small: TS3 9.5 Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7X      image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood: :titelist-small: 917F2 Fujikura Pro 84 Tour Spec S

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 915H Aldila Rogue 85S

Irons 4-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge: :mizuno-small: T5 58* Nippon Modus Wedge

Putter:  :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"

Gimme the LM studio but please add in some extra cash for raising the ceiling.

I visited PB once, looked down the 18th. Beautiful area but I’m too dang cheap to spend that kind of money

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Spending $3k to play and stay at pebble. Live life. 

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

We went to Carmel about 15 years ago and walked down to the beach next to the course.  The course is right there.  My family convinced me to walk up onto the course so I can say I was "on Pebble Beach" LOL

I was genuinely surprised that there wasn't a fence or something.  So - if you're ever in the area - consider walking on when it's clear and getting a feel for it.  A heckuva lot less than 575.  HAHA  Who knows - maybe I was "trespassing" but one could easily feign ignorance.  =)

We were staying in the bay area and took a day trip down the Big Sur.  It is absolutely stunning and 100 pct worth it.

• Like 4

StrokerAce
:titelist-small:  TS3 PX EvenFlow T1100 White  
:cobra-small:  King F7 3/4w Fujikara 
:titelist-small:  816 H1 21 Diamana red 
:ping-small:  G410 4-U Project X LZ 6.0
:vokey-small:  SM6 54/58 
:odyssey-small:  Stroke Lab Black Ten S
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro 
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130
:Arccos: Caddie

Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

In a free market world, if there is not enough support for the hiked green fee, it'll either up for sale or become a public park.

Many of our local golf courses are facing the same dilemma of whether to hike the green fees to maintain the service level or keep the green fees at the current economic level for the middle class.

Of course, those doing well financially will float above the current issues of inflation and rising cost of living.  But there is just too many golf courses for the top 5% of the population ( of which not many are avid golfers ).   

Is there a problem of over building the golf courses from the mid 80's ?   I think so.  Growing the game without keeping the economic factors in consideration is bad business planning.

If you built it, they will come..........only if the admission fee is reasonably affordable.

• Like 2

I'm leaning towards Scotland, Ireland, etc instead of PB.  

• Like 5

TM M4  or TS2

EPIC 15*

Titleist 816 H1 19 & 24*

Titleist T200 5-GW

Vokey SM8  54

Vokey SM8 58

PXG Operator H 

6 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

We went to Carmel about 15 years ago and walked down to the beach next to the course.  The course is right there.  My family convinced me to walk up onto the course so I can say I was "on Pebble Beach" LOL

I was genuinely surprised that there wasn't a fence or something.  So - if you're ever in the area - consider walking on when it's clear and getting a feel for it.  A heckuva lot less than 575.  HAHA  Who knows - maybe I was "trespassing" but one could easily feign ignorance.  😃

We were staying in the bay area and took a day trip down the Big Sur.  It is absolutely stunning and 100 pct worth it.

I was there on my honeymoon in 1997, and pretty much did what you did.  I even went inside the clubhouse and bought a little Pebble Beach pin.  I wasn't majorly into golf back then like I am now, or I might have bought a lot of other things at the time.  Regretfully I haven't had the chance to get back since, but here are a few pics from that experience - pre iphone and digital photography days...

48771_10.jpg

48771_11.jpg

48771_08.jpg

48771_09.jpg

48771_12.jpg

48771_13.jpg

48771_14.jpg

• Like 5

Of the choices, I picked launch monitor.

Given the opportunity, I would happily hand over whatever they wanted to play PB, but if I were planning it, there are likely other places I'd pick before PB (Scotland for sure, possibly Bandon)

• Like 2

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 96 mph

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 11:16 AM, sixcat said:

My dream golf experience is a lengthy trip to Scotland and Ireland.  I'm sure $3,000 wouldn't cover my dream but Pebble Beach has never been a "bucket list" item for me.  I'm not sure why except to say, I have always felt drawn to the origins of the game rather than the exorbitant Americanized version of the game.  The game is open and welcoming in Scotland and Ireland.  It's mostly closed, stuffy and elitist in the US.  And Pebble Beach is the poster child for that closed, stuffy and elitist mantra given it would cost over $800 after fees, taxes, caddie and gratuity for a single experience. 

I guess I'm not really playing along with the topic, as presented, but I would save the $3,000 until I had enough to fund my lengthy trip around Scotland and Ireland.

I came on to write exactly this....

I've been to Pebble - so long ago (early 70's) that the Green's Fee was an outrageous $54 - Highway robbery I say. 🙂  It is a gorgeous place but I'd prefer the Scotland or Ireland trip thank you very much.

• Like 4

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

I voted "other" just because none of those felt like anything I'd do with $3k.

Nearly $600 for a few hours of golf? Don't care where it is or what the views are, that's nuts. No thanks.

• Like 3

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:cobra-small:  F6
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

I purchased a $3,000 gift card from Pebble Beach this past summer. It provided for 1-round for two players at each of the three courses -  Pebble, Spyglass, and Links + two nights lodging at the Inn at Spanish Bay. No date or time restrictions. We raffled it off at a charity fundraiser. Not a bad deal. 3 rounds of golf + lodging. For two! (travel arrangements were left to the raffle winner) 

• Like 4

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

10 minutes ago, PlaidJacket said:

I purchased a $3,000 gift card from Pebble Beach this past summer. It provided for 1-round for two players at each of the three courses -  Pebble, Spyglass, and Links + two nights lodging at the Inn at Spanish Bay. No date or time restrictions. We raffled it off at a charity fundraiser. Not a bad deal. 3 rounds of golf + lodging. For two! (travel arrangements were left to the raffle winner) 

WOW!  What a deal!

• Like 1

StrokerAce
:titelist-small:  TS3 PX EvenFlow T1100 White  
:cobra-small:  King F7 3/4w Fujikara 
:titelist-small:  816 H1 21 Diamana red 
:ping-small:  G410 4-U Project X LZ 6.0
:vokey-small:  SM6 54/58 
:odyssey-small:  Stroke Lab Black Ten S
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro 
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130
:Arccos: Caddie

Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

I chose other: either a LM (is it even possible with 3K?) or just buy some extra golf gear (doens't have to be PXG) and still have enough left to play some pretty good courses.

• Like 1

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 9* w/ Aldila Rogue MAX 65 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black S 80
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // ShotScope V1 // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

The Golf Academy would have access to a Launch Monitor, yes?  That's why I'm a little surprised at those results.  

As long as those green fees stay up where they are for Pebble, I won't be playing there.  It's just a golf course.  I couldn't fathom going out & shooting 90 & having to pay $500 for it.  It's not like you're walking away with a set of new clubs or anything.  If I wanted to spend $100/hour, I would get lessons from Michael Breed or someone like that.  Not hacking around a course .... "Well there goes another $5.50."  (each time you swing the club) 

• Like 2

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:   :titelist-small:  TS2 9.5* UST ATTAS COOOL 

Fairways  :titelist-small: HZRDUS Smoke 13.5*

Driving Iron:  :titelist-small: U500 17* UST V2

Irons  :titelist-small: T300 4 & 5 iron, T200 6 - W Project X Catalyst 100cw

Wedges  :vokey-small: SM7 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter  :cameron-small:  Newport  

Ball  :titelist-small: 2020 AVX