Anyone Played Sand Valley?

GolfSpy Barbajo

Heading to WI Tuesday to take a couple of customers to Sand Valley. Anyone played it? We're only playing one round, but I'm really looking forward to it. 

We're taking caddies, but the website appears fairly oblique about costs and tipping. 

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

@GolfSpy BarbajoLooking to potentially take some customers there this summer as well.  How was the travel for your customers?  That is the main drawback I can see, is that you lose a day just from travel just about.  

Very excited to look more at the Lido renovation they are adding there as well.  Seems like it will quickly be a top 30 course as well.  

• Like 2

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5                                                     Testing: :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X                   Testing: :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

On 12/23/2021 at 5:31 PM, juspoole said:

@GolfSpy BarbajoLooking to potentially take some customers there this summer as well.  How was the travel for your customers?  That is the main drawback I can see, is that you lose a day just from travel just about.  

Very excited to look more at the Lido renovation they are adding there as well.  Seems like it will quickly be a top 30 course as well.  

In our case, the customers were from central Wisconsin, so it was a day trip for them. Indiana is a hike, no doubt about it. And while flying may be less taxing, it'll probably be just as long if not longer if you can't find a direct flight to Madison, which is another hour and a half drive to Sand Valley. 

If you're there for a few days, it's definitely worth the drive. Like Streamsong, it's in the middle of nowhere so you're kind of isolated - it's about an hour drive to Wisconsin Dells where at least there are restaurants and hotels with water parks if you're so inclined. Otherwise, get a lodge at the facility and do some customer-vendor bonding. 

• Like 1

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Follow @golfspybarbajo

On 12/27/2021 at 9:12 AM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Indiana is a hike, no doubt about it. And while flying may be less taxing, it'll probably be just as long if not longer if you can't find a direct flight to Madison, which is another hour and a half drive to Sand Valley. 

If you're there for a few days, it's definitely worth the drive. Like Streamsong, it's in the middle of nowhere so you're kind of isolated - it's about an hour drive to Wisconsin Dells where at least there are restaurants and hotels with water parks if you're so inclined. Otherwise, get a lodge at the facility and do some customer-vendor bonding. 

I should have clarified, My Boss and I coming from Indiana would likely drive as it's only around 6 hours.  The others would be coming from the Northeast primarily (Boston, Pittsburgh, Baltimore).  Likely would fly into Chicago or Detroit I'm guessing then to Madison I think, then an hour drive from there it looks like.  

I think it would be worthwhile to do.  We did Bandon a few years ago, which is just (if not more) difficult to get to and it worked out great.   Streamsong is on the list as well, but pricing it a bit outrageous in my opinion, even if the company is footing the bill.

Sorry to ramble - thanks for the assist.  

• Like 2

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5                                                     Testing: :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X                   Testing: :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I played Sand Valley this past summer.  We didn't stay on site, one of our group hosted us at his family's home about an hour drive away.  It was a blast, both Sand Valley and Mammoth Dunes are loads of fun, and the Sandbox short course is a blast.  Those of us who flew used Milwaukee.  Its a little further drive than Madison, but may be easier to schedule flights.  On our way back we played at Lawsonia Links, which was brilliant in a totally different way as Sand Valley.

• Like 2

:titelist-small: Irons Titleist AP2 714, KBS Tour S, 3 flat

:callaway-small: Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:vokey-small: 52, 56, and 60 wedges

:ping-small: B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

22 hours ago, juspoole said:

I should have clarified, My Boss and I coming from Indiana would likely drive as it's only around 6 hours.  The others would be coming from the Northeast primarily (Boston, Pittsburgh, Baltimore).  Likely would fly into Chicago or Detroit I'm guessing then to Madison I think, then an hour drive from there it looks like.  

I think it would be worthwhile to do.  We did Bandon a few years ago, which is just (if not more) difficult to get to and it worked out great.   Streamsong is on the list as well, but pricing it a bit outrageous in my opinion, even if the company is footing the bill.

Sorry to ramble - thanks for the assist.  

There are a ton of great courses all over Wisconsin, as @DaveP043 points out. Have never played Lawsonia, but hear nothing but great things about it. Sentry World in Stevens Point is less than an hour away from Sand Valley, and there are a ton of excellent courses within an hour or so of Milwaukee - I believe one of them hosted a major event this past fall...

• Like 2

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

On 12/27/2021 at 7:12 PM, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Travel to South Africa, and experience the diversity of the culture and lifestyle. This country is rich in history, wildlife, and has a wide variety of shopping and activities. another thing that i noticed here all the people love to play lotto games like lunchtime results and etc.