Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Music on the Golf Course?

2 hours ago, BH18 said:

It’s not the music itself that bothers me , it’s this attitude. If you want music, wear ear buds and enjoy!  But others may not want to hear it. And everyone says we play it real low, but trust me, we can hear it on the adjacent fairway. 

... You are experiencing the selfish. But you don't experience those that play it at a low level because you can't hear it. If I am playing music in my cart, you absolutely can't hear it on the tee or the green. If I am playing music on my remote cart, you can't hear it standing 10 feet away. And I mean cannot hear it at all. I play music to keep me company between shots because it puts me in a good mood. I don't play music to accompany actually playing the game. 

... Fwiw, I have run into all kinds of music players. Loud enough to be heard by other groups. Loud enough to only be heard by the group playing and then not loud enough to be heard by anyone but the player when close to their riding or walking cart. Lumping them all together is like lumping together a drunk driver with someone that drives 5 mph over the speed limit on a highway.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I don't mind either way.  I used to care, but it doesn't bother me anymore.

I agree its rude not to ask first before playing music though.

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

I have a speaker on my golf cart and listen to music during the round but as noted above keep it quiet enough to not be heard very far away from the cart.  If someone is going to ride with me, I will ask them if it's ok.  I think wearing ear buds is kind of rude to your fellow golfers, makes it seem like you don't want to be having a conversation with them.  I'll only use earbuds on the range.  But all just my opinion.  Whatever works for you is ok with me.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

Music can be great for the golf course. Nothing to loud or obnoxious obviously but a great playlist or station that the entire group can enjoy goes a long way. I don’t find anything wrong with a speaker during a casual round of golf with the boys. 

Drew

4 minutes ago, chuck hugentobler said:

We have guys that play music in our golf group. Some have speakers and the ones that respect their other golfers wear ear buds

... This has been brought up several times and I just don't understand using earbuds. It seems to me earbuds make music the primary audio focus, not secondary. With music played at a low level it is background ambiance that for some enhances their enjoyment while allowing them to hear conversation, birds chirping and even the wind in the trees. In essence everything someone that prefers no music would experience. Earbuds defeats the social aspect of the game. I have only played with someone using earbuds twice and frankly it was a little annoying both times because when asking a necessary question, I had to repeat anything I said after they removed their buds and said "What?" 

... I am beginning to think most complaining about music have never played with anyone playing their music at a low level that is respectful to any partner that prefers to play without music.  

I have played many times both with golfers who play music through speakers (at a very reasonable low volume level, for the most part, but a couple golfers who turned up the volume too loud for my liking) and with a few golfers who use earbuds while playing golf. It seems that about 30-35% of the golfers in my Monday evening league play music during their round, and a small handful use earbuds to listen to music or podcasts or something. I find those earbud users to be very antisocial, and just basically ignore them, letting them remain in their little cocoons.

A few years ago, I sometimes played with a weekend group of about 20-24 golfers. One of the guys in that group (“Giovanni the Tailor”) played music through a Bluetooth speaker or small boombox-like device at a volume level that was far too loud. Several other golfers in that group repeatedly asked him to turn down the volume, but after a few minutes, he always seemed to jack it back up. I stopped playing with this group after a few months, and every time since then when I get asked to play with this group, I ask if Giovanni is still playing golf with them and playing loud music during the rounds. When they reply “yes” to both questions, I respectfully decline the invitation.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I will never listen myself, and I'm fine with relatively quiet music from playing partners, but it's annoying when I can hear someone else's music from 2 fairways over, just blasting it!

WITB:

Callaway Rogue ST - Driver

Titleist TS2 - 4 Wood

Titleist 818 H1 Hybrid

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged Irons

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54 and Cleveland RTX4 58

#ROCKCHALK

Totally fine with music at a reasonable volume level.  Definitely makes the waiting a little easier when stuck behind a slow group on a 5 plus hour round.  I just don't need to hear 3 different songs at rock concert levels from groups on another hole.  Mostly this comes down to being respectful of your fellow golfers and playing partners.

Some of my friends always want to bring a speaker to the course. I usually don't recommend it. It all depends on the kind of course too. A cheap city course seems like a better place to bring a speaker whereas loud music at a nice resort seems out of place. That being said, my favorite course has bluetooth speaker's built into the cart – albeit with limited volume. Either way, you have to be careful and courteous to other groups around you. Just like you should turn down your bumpin' music at a red light, you should turn down your music when other groups are nearby. When I want to listen to music, I usually just use my phone or throw on some earbuds during my solo rounds.

The real question should be...could I bring my pet bird to a golf course in a portable cage?

I use a Callaway pitching wedge, as I feel it makes the best helicopter noise when I hurl it into the lake in anger.

I've been playing for 45 years, so music on the course is a relatively new thing for me. I generally don't play music on the course but a couple of the guys I play with really enjoy it. When I play with them, we always have some tunes going. The funny part is that we usually use my speaker. I didn't buy it for golf but It's a Bose soundflex so it's waterproof and works very well for the course. I never play it loud. I know some folks can't seem to concentrate on their swing when there is any noise at all. I don't have that issue, but I'm a combat veteran. It takes a lot to break my focus.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen6 TT Riptide CB 60 s

3 Wood: Ping G430 max Alta CB 65 s

Hybrids: Ping G430 19, 22, 26 Alta CB 70 s

Irons: Mizuno JPX923 forged 6-Gap TT DG 105 s

Wedges: Mizuno S23 54, 58 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Putter: Scotty Cameron SS Golo 6.5

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Bag: Sun Mountain C-130S

Electronics: Bushnell Tour V6 shift, Golf Buddy aim 11  

I lived in Scottsdale for a while. The 7th hole of (Mesquite) course at Kierland Golf Club. I could hear the music from the carts as they approached the green. The music was obnoxious and loud. It drove me nuts. Just like most folks here I love music ~ I have too many streaming services, satellite radio and here I sit listening to some quite Saturday morning tunes but when I tee off at 3 today there will be the sound of drivers, sunk putts laughter and cigars being lit. When paired with someone who asks if they can play music and they are in my cart the answer is no. If they are walking or in another cart the answer is fine but low. Honestly the people I’ve met who do ask are respectful. Golf is a game played with others so respect of others is important. 

My usual playing partners always bring a speaker when we get together for our weekly round. I wouldn't say that I totally hate music playing, but I would say that if I'm playing by myself, putting music on never crosses my mind. I largely prefer a quiet setting to focus and hear nothing but the sound of nature. However, I'm willing to let it slide as long as certain rules apply: I cannot stand it being too loud. If you're next to me in the cart and I can't hear you, or If I can't talk back to the cart behind me to ask their score, it's too loud. I know not everybody has my taste in music, but if I hear the same ZZ Top Pandora station every week, I'm gonna get annoyed and ask to turn it down. For the courses with newer carts, I may throw my music on really low just for the cart drive, but I dont want to hear it when I'm over the ball.

Ping G410 9° @ 7.5°

Ping G425 3 Wood

Ping Crossover 3 Iron

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 4 Iron, JPX 921 Tour 5-GW

Vokey SM8 56° & 60°

Wilson "The L" Putter

A lot of people, almost every person who plays music, think their music is not loud or disturbing, but it is.   Just like body odor.

Actually I've never seen a post where a golfer with a speaker says, "Too bad Boomer,  I'm blasting my speaker.  Don't care if you hear it or not."

The music, or the noise, really carries, especially on older courses where the greens and tees and are close together and fairways run adjacent to each other.  If you play on this type of course and you turn off the speaker off when other groups are nearby, the speaker would be off a lot.

Many people will acquiesce when asked if it is OK to play music.   People did that for hundreds of years when someone wanted to smoke a cigarette.

Personally, I don't understand the need.   Mood?   "Helps my relax?"    If you need music on a golf course to relax, you really need something else.  

Edited by SlowNLow

Recently, at my local course, a group of young men were playing behind us and their music was very loud.  I politely asked them if they would care to turn it down, which they did, but if looks could kill, I would have been a dead man.  As @chisag mentioned earlier, be considerate to others around you.  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

I view music on the course in the exact same lens I do for drinking on the course, in that I have absolutely no issue with people playing the way they enjoy the most AS LONG AS they are doing so in a way that's non-obtrusive to others. Having a few beverages can, to some, promote relaxation. The same can be said about music. Conversely, I view individuals who blast music loud enough to be heard from even 1 fairway away in the same light as I view people who get hammered and obnoxious on the course. This is a game of consideration, enjoy your drinks, enjoy your music, as long as it doesn't compromise the fun of others. 

If you're playing in a cart and have music going, consider playing with the windshield up to muffle the noise. If you're playing with the music audible to random playing partners you're matched with, consider pausing it during their swings. I certainly believe there is a place for music on the course if handled the right way.  

Driver - Ping G400

3 Wood - Ping G425

3H - Ping G425

Irons 5-A - Taylormade p790

Wedges - Vokey SM9 54/12 & Vokey SM9 60/08

Putter - Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

I use a speaker for GPS, and music as a secondary bonus. Music is like any noise on the course, it can be acceptable or it can too much. But, we can't dictate how others want to enjoy the game they paid to play. There are certainly those who have speakers too big and too loud, but that is no different than someone who has had too many to drink, and is too loud, or smokes weed/cigarettes and the smell is too much, or there are butts everywhere I have a feeling we wouldn't tell anyone to stop drinking because they are obnoxious, or smoking, it's just a circumstance. We always have the choice to not play with that person, drop back if allowable or jump ahead, and you can always call the pro shop. Golf is evolving, and change is always hard. I try to approach it by age demographic, if I am playing with anyone over the age 60, I'll pause while they hit. If you're under that in my perception, not turning it off either. 

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

1 hour ago, Itzpiiz said:

I view music on the course in the exact same lens I do for drinking on the course, in that I have absolutely no issue with people playing the way they enjoy the most AS LONG AS they are doing so in a way that's non-obtrusive to others. Having a few beverages can, to some, promote relaxation. The same can be said about music. Conversely, I view individuals who blast music loud enough to be heard from even 1 fairway away in the same light as I view people who get hammered and obnoxious on the course. This is a game of consideration, enjoy your drinks, enjoy your music, as long as it doesn't compromise the fun of others. 

If you're playing in a cart and have music going, consider playing with the windshield up to muffle the noise. If you're playing with the music audible to random playing partners you're matched with, consider pausing it during their swings. I certainly believe there is a place for music on the course if handled the right way.  

... Well stated! Judging by some of the comments here I think music is a little like Refs in the NFL. They are 7 Refs making judgements on every play to throw or not throw a flag. They mostly get it right and go unnoticed for most of the game but when they make an obvious mistake everyone sees it, the press talks about it and social media is lit up for days.

... I think music is like that as in most never even notice when played at a respectful level that others can't hear unless they are standing next to you or in the cart with you. It is the obvious mistake that everyone responds to when the offenders do not consider others and play their music way too loud. On any given hole there may be a plethora of players on your or adjacent holes with music playing that you can't hear, but the azzhats a full fairway over with music blaring loud enough to interfere with your concentration is obvious and annoying to everyone. 

18 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Well stated! Judging by some of the comments here I think music is a little like Refs in the NFL. They are 7 Refs making judgements on every play to throw or not throw a flag. They go mostly get it right and go unnoticed for most of the game but when they make an obvious mistake everyone sees it, the press talks about it and social media is lit up for days. I think music is like that as in most never even notice when played at a respectful level that others can't hear unless they are standing next to you or in the cart with you. It is the obvious mistake that everyone responds to when the culprits do not consider others and play their music way too loud. On any given hole there may be a plethora of players on your or adjacent holes with music playing that you can't hear, but the azzhats a full fairway over with music blaring loud enough to interfere with your concentration is obvious and annoying to everyone. 

Fully agree, great example. When playing with @tylorjudd he plays music at a volume where you can hear it in the cart and at your ball when hitting, but can hardly hear it 10 steps away - the sweet spot!

Side note, jealous you live in Arizona, came down for a golf trip and was BLOWN AWAY by the courses we got to play there. Boulders, Troon North, Longbow, La Sendas, take me baaaaack!

Driver - Ping G400

3 Wood - Ping G425

3H - Ping G425

Irons 5-A - Taylormade p790

Wedges - Vokey SM9 54/12 & Vokey SM9 60/08

Putter - Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

On 7/11/2023 at 2:16 PM, chisag said:

... This has been brought up several times and I just don't understand using earbuds. It seems to me earbuds make music the primary audio focus, not secondary. With music played at a low level it is background ambiance that for some enhances their enjoyment while allowing them to hear conversation, birds chirping and even the wind in the trees. In essence everything someone that prefers no music would experience. Earbuds defeats the social aspect of the game. I have only played with someone using earbuds twice and frankly it was a little annoying both times because when asking a necessary question, I had to repeat anything I said after they removed their buds and said "What?" 

... I am beginning to think most complaining about music have never played with anyone playing their music at a low level that is respectful to any partner that prefers to play without music.  

I often use earbuds in solo rounds.  Actually, just one AirPod in my right ear usually.  I find having some kind of either classical or LoFi without lyrics going on gives me something to tune into while I'm considering a shot or ground myself when I inevitably blade a wedge 40 ft past the green.

But I usually keep it to one, because I want to be aware of what is going on and be able to have a conversation if I need/want to.  In a group I think full earbuds would be about as rude as blaring a speaker though.

:callaway-logo-1:Mavrik 10.5* :projectx: HZRDS T800 Orange 60 6.0

:taylormade-small: RocketBallz Stage 2 3W

:mizuno-small:ST-Z 5W :projectx: EvenFlow 5.5

:srixon-small: ZX Utility 23*, UST Recoil F3

:titleist-small:T300 :projectx: LZ 5.5, 5-PW

:mizuno-small: T22 Copper Denim :truetemper: DG R300, 52* 56*

:vokey-small: SM9 :truetemper: DG R300, 60*

:odyssey-small: Strokelabs One

:vice: Pro Soft

I went out for 9 holes during the week solo with buggy and had a small speaker playing music, As long as you're aware of everyone on the course I don't see it an issue. 

Cobra King Speedzone (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 6.0 S Flex)

Sim Woods (Ventus Blue 6.0 S Flex)

Ping i210 irons (KBS Tour 120)

MG2 Wedges 52/56/60 (KBS C-Taper 120)

TM Spider GT Putter

I think there are folks who play music on the course much like the way folks play music at a car camping site. @chisag mentioned that some use music help create a particular ambience, and so it isn't meant to be part of the foreground. That's fine, I guess. But whenever I hear that folks play music on the course to create a fun atmosphere, my question to them in all curiosity is, without music is playing golf not fun?

Regarding earbuds ...

These days, earbuds have hear-through technology, so there's no real issue of missing someone calling out "Fore!" I used them yesterday as I played solo. It's fine, but I'm used to wearing earbuds in the shop, so I don't really think about it. I'm happy to not use them when others are around. 

I think ultimately playing music is about keeping frustration with the game down to a minimum. If folks are using it as a tool to keep cool from shot to shot and get the best round they can that day, I can understand that. 

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

I've been known to dance around my cart to a really good song.

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

I don't mind it, but I feel it's better contained to a cart or twosome. I don't want to be hearing music blasting across holes.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I say it’s okay so long as you respect other players.  Just because you like a particular artist/genre doesn’t mean everyone else does.  The biggest issue comes when groups are stacked or close.  If you’re waiting or on a tee box in close proximity to a green where someone is putting, then I’d off or down so you don’t interrupt.  Same goes for if you’re parked near the green and someone is on the tee.  Long of the short, if you want to listen to music, great.  I just don’t want to listen to your music.

Playing in a club championship and one of the guys in my group starts playing music. Totally shocked I would have to ask someone to not play music in a tournament setting. I told him I don’t play with music and he turned it off. If I wanted to play with music it’s going to be what I like. If music is that important to you, pop in some earbuds. My favorite is when I’m on the tee box and the group behind rolls up to the green, doesn’t matter if it’s quiet or loud, outside on a golf course the sound travels rather far. 

I can go either way. I think it’s a courtesy to ask everyone in the group if they are amenable to music during the round. Golf was not designed with music but with the advancements in technology it has become a part of many casual rounds. 

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 DBD

Fairway: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha

Irons: Callaway Apex 

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 notchback

Ball: Vice Pro

I don't understand the problem. But then again, I don't understand why pros have to have it so quiet either. When I'm over the ball, I hear nothing. I'm focused on the shot, not what's going on around me. That being said, I seem to be in a very small minority so I have no problem with someone who doesn't like music. I enjoy a mix of music played at a reasonable level but am just fine without it as well. 

Music is an enjoyment and should never be a problem. If it becomes one then it needs to be turned off.

2016 M1 10.5 Fujikura Pro 60 Stiff
Callaway X2Hot 3W Aldila RIP Stiff
Callaway X2Hot 19° Matrix Radix S7 Stiff 
Ping i25 4i-PW KBS Stiff (soft-stepped)
Titleist SM7 52 8° F Stiff
Titleist SM7 56 8° M Stiff
Titleist SM7 60 4° L Stiff
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 34" Superstroke Flatso 2.0
Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 grips
Snell MTB Red (Optic Yellow)
Powerbilt TPS Cabretta Tour Glove
Callaway RAZR Laser

Personally, play how you want to play. To me music is just like other noise on the course, say talking. Generally we don’t talk in a persons backswing, so if the person doesn’t like music, then pause it for their backswing, or when you approach another group. And don’t blare it. Listening is fine for your group. Play how you want and be respectful of others. 

Driver: TaylorMade M6, stiff, 9°, 45.75"

3W: Lazrus 3 Wood, regular, 15°, 43.5"

3H: Lazrus 3 Hybrid, regular, 18°, 40.75"

5i-PW,AW: TaylorMade M6, steel (PW-43.5°, AW-49° [both 36.00"-D1/C9])

52°W: Lazrus, 52°, 8°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

56°W: Lazrus, 56°, 12°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

60°W: Lazrus, 60°, 10°, 35.25", D4, Milled face, Forged head, steel

Putter: TaylorMade Spider X Hydroblast, 35", Flow Neck #9 (21° toe hang), KBS Chrome C-Taper Stepless Stability, Superstroke Gtr 1.0 grip

Ball: TaylorMade TP5x, Titleist Pro V1x, experimenting with Snell & Vice

Bag: testing - Stitch Golf SL2 Fadeaway walking bag (active review post link)