Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×

What benefits do you find of joining a golf club?

Every year I get closer and closer to pulling the trigger.

Until then we joined as pool members and have clubhouse privileges, tennis and we also receive correspondence regarding the clubs financial health and long term planning  

My wife wants to join, my daughter has shown some interest in golf and the only thing keeping us out is total cost.

The benefit as asked above is multi tiered for my family.

Ability to play golf at our convenience on a great course that also would be a healthy way for me to get steps. 

No nuisance golfers.

We have another dining option and quite honestly, it just feels good to belong. 

So for all the reasons in to pro column, the only con right now is cost. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

28 minutes ago, chisag said:

... What an interesting topic with a myriad of replies. Like most things in life, there are positives and negatives and at the very top of that list is location. Having lived my entire golfing life in the Chicago suburbs and now Phoenix, these two golf Mecca locations have plenty of Private Clubs but they are extremely expensive. I read many responses from small cities and even better, some more rural areas where a CC would seem to be a no brainer. I would absolutely love to join a CC if I could find one that fit my needs. 

Positives:
Golf and everything that entails so no further explanation needed

Negatives:
Very expensive to join and maintain a membership in Phoenix
I don't drink alcohol and try to only eat organic food so a food/beverage monthly minimum would be money thrown away
The CC's where I have played have am attitude of entitlement that does not mesh with my laid back hippie approach to life
I want to walk fall/winter/spring and ride in summer when the heat exceeds 100* daily and need a course where that works
Don't need or want a pool, tennis courts or other amenities that are really nice for families, but I won't use them 

... So if I could find a CC that catered to golf, had an eclectic and friendly membership, no drink/food minimums, was walkable and enjoyable to do so and had at least two 18 hole courses I would join and pay a high premium to do so. So far I just haven't found one. I play approx 250 rounds a year, although this record breaking heat wave will reduce that by 25 or more rounds this year, but my cost is around $8k a year. Considering winter golf in Phoenix can run $150 to $250 a round $8k is a bargain. Aguila my winter muni, hosts many quality tournaments including boys and girls high school state championships, Phoenix Open qualifiers and AGA Stage Championship so it is a quality course. Raven, my summer semi private course is even nicer with an $80 monthly fee and $39 a round after 3pm which is my preferred playing time. In winter Raven charges $180-$200 a round so it is a summer bargain. 

... All that said, I will always be looking for an opportunity to join a private club and will be willing to give up some of my negatives, but not all of them. 

All of the reasons that Sam has laid-out in his response are why I do not belong to a private golf or country club, although I have given it serious consideration several times. Private clubs in the Greater Philadelphia area are VERY expensive, and I like the variety of playing at lots of courses, so being a member at such a private golf club would make zero economic sense to me ... plus, I could not afford to be a member at virtually any private club within a 90 to 120 minute drive of where I live.

I do, however, have a membership in the men's golf association at a public course about 8 to 10 miles from where I live, and I formerly played in the golf association at the course that is located adjacent to the residential community where we live (we actually live on "Golf Club Drive"). This gives me the ability to play in all club tournaments and on the club's travel team(s), maintain a USGA handicap through the GHIN system, get discounted and preferred advance tee times, and to enjoy the camaraderie of "membership". Plus, this course (Makefield Highlands Golf Club in Yardley, PA) where I currently am a member of the men's golf association is ranked as the #1 public golf course in the region, and has been the site of several USGA qualifying tournaments, including a few US Open Qualifiers, and it is almost always in fantastic condition.  Plus, it is a truly challenging layout.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I have belonged to a private club for years.  True it is expensive.  Over the years it has gone from mostly doctors and lawyers to mostly finance and Tech people. I enjoy having a quiet private place for lunch or dinner with the wife though quality of the food varies.  I guess the big thing that I enjoy the most is playing a few holes after work in the late spring and summer.  I can just walk on the course and play 4-5 holes before dark.  It is quiet and very peaceful.  In many way I enjoy this more than playing 18 with 3 friends.  This is something you can't do at a public course unless you want to pay.  

Don't hate me, but you can be jealous!

From 2005 until present I have been a member of a private club in Tennessee. Frankly the experience has spoiled me. It is a Robert Trent Jones course kept in great condition. The membership number is low. I never made a tee time in all the time I have been playing there. A full 18-hole round would take me 2:15 minutes with a cart or 2:30 minutes walking. The practice facilities (Range, Bunker area, chipping area, and an indoor trackman) were never crowded. There was a pool and several tennis courts and full dining. Not to mention all the events throughout the year. My kids grew up there and always had a safe place to be. Setting up tests on the course for MGS testing was never an issue. People say that memberships are expensive. That is true based on where you live.  My club was $250/ month for full family membership. That is not expensive compared to other areas. (Remember don't hate me) My wife was offered an accounting job there and it came with free family membership. I really haven't had to pay to play golf for 17 years. She still works for them but remotely now that we moved to NC.   

I joined a club in NC that is good but not as nice as the one in TN, but it is $110/ month for full family membership for the first year and then goes up to $150 and has a pool, range, practice bunker, practice green. They approach things a little different. Anything extra you pay for at the time. If I want to take a cart it is $20.00, range you pay $9.00for a bucket of 50 or so, if I want a snack or drink, you pay for it right then and there. No food minimums. I usually walk and play twice a week. I don't need a tee time if I'm walking in the morning. Carts aren't allowed out on the course until 8am, walking any time after 7am is fine. Nobody walks except for me and one other person at that time. So basically, I have the course to myself. I'm far enough ahead that I never see anyone. If you do the math, I'm only paying $13.75 a round by walking 8 times a month. My son works there on the grounds crew, so he gets free carts and golf. My daughter has been working there this summer while on break from college and she gets a free cart and golf. If I play with one of them, I get the cart for free as well. Most of my practice is done on my home simulator so there is not much outdoor range time needed. They also allow me to set up and run any kind of test I want for MGS testing opportunities.  

My benefits far outweigh going to a public course in the area. Golf is running between $60 and $100 per round in the sandhills area. If I go up the road 45 minutes to Pinehurst, then it's double that amount. 

Let's talk about the STUFFY SCALE  100 being the stuffiest, intitled, Wana Be's.  

My first club rated a 50. Half the stuffiness as some high-end private clubs. 

My current club rates a 10. So open and friendly. I have played with more people in the last couple of months than I did in 17 years at the other course. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

3 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I usually walk and play twice a week. I don't need a tee time if I'm walking in the morning. Carts aren't allowed out on the course until 8am, walking any time after 7am is fine. Nobody walks except for me and one other person at that time. So basically, I have the course to myself. I'm far enough ahead that I never see anyone. If you do the math, I'm only paying $13.75 a round by walking 8 times a week.

... We don't hate you but we are certainly jealous if you can play 2 times a week but somehow 8 times in 7 days while still working and traveling. Math has never been my strong suit but since it seems you have a genie that can transport you to the course, why not play 16 times week and reduce your cost to $6.88 a round? 🙃

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x 

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... We don't hate you but we are certainly jealous if you can play 2 times a week but somehow 8 times in 7 days while still working and traveling. Math has never been my strong suit but since it seems you have a genie that can transport you to the course, why not play 16 times week and reduce your cost to $6.88 a round? 🙃

Good catch, My bad 8 times a month.  I corrected it. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

3 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Good catch, My bad 8 times a month.  I corrected it. 

... More an intelligent butt than a good catch. 😇

5 hours ago, Maineiac said:

I’ve made very important friendships because of my club membership. And we have great games and tournaments that make the game even more enjoyable. And I have access to a really fabulous coach and wonderful practice facilities that I would not otherwise. And the food’s pretty good too!

Thanks for mentioning the food. I forgot to include auxiliaries to golf that come with membership. The food and drink ( the weekly specials and special food events are the BOMB💥 ). The dining venue gives the wife person a safe, convenient, and pleasant place to have lunch or cocktails with her like minded female CEOs…. For transparency sake; the female boss of bosses favorite thing to make for dinner is RESERVATIONS🥴.
     The club offers the a range of amenities; swimming pool, fitness room, tennis, and Pickleball. Great place to meet people and all in all not that expensive. 

I am actually joining a club this week - Every round I have ever played as been on a public course, and while some have been nice courses, some have not been. I feel that with a private course, they should (I cant confirm yet) be in better shape and better taken care of. There is more of a pride in your club, rather than a random at the local muni -

The practice range and facilities also was a huge factor for me. I spend a ridiculous amount of money on range balls per year - this is at least built into my fees and I will certainly get my moneys worth. 

Believe me, I love public golf and think there should be more access to golf rather than less. But, I do think there is a higher likelihood of your game improving after joining a club rather than public only... 
This doesnt account for the social aspect of clubs which can be great for some. 

KB

Cobra LS - Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7x

Cobra F9 3w- Fujikura Tour Spec 2.0 8x

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-PW

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50,54, 58 wedges 

Evnroll ER2

Ohio

6 handicap 

We joined January of 1995. Started with the Social Golf - $1,500 initiation.  $125 month dues. One round per month each family menber. Full access to Club House, weight room, lockers, showers, towels, practice facilities, grass April through October, high quality mats November through March. Six mats covered against rain, most wind, but there is a entry panal at the back that keeps the cover from blowing away in a strong wind. Sand Bunker kept in pristine shape, if the course bunkers were rebuilt, so was the practice bunker. Two large putting greens, the favored one is mostly flat, you'll find me of the sloped green reading break and speed IRL practice. When we improved our finacials, stepped up the associate member, golf on weekdays, $8000, less our $1500  $299 month dues; up to then Monthly minimum was $50, the food was fantastic, Easter, Mothers Day brunches were the best I have ever encountered. Full Membership came soon afterward so I could compete in the club tournaments; $24,000 less our $8000, dues up to $399. I practiced 4 -5 days a week, just like in college, my index dropped into the low 2's, entered some state tourneys, USGA qualifiers, held at the course, it is the best maintained course around, as good as Rams Hill San Diego CA 2016, fantastic experience. One two round qualifier I led after the first day, but developed a huge blister on the ball of my left foot and could not make a consistent swing. Asked to withdraw on the back nine round two, the marshall strongly encourged me to finish the round; I was completely out of the qualifying, had no chance to gain back any ground. Finished the round with bleeding left foot, could not walk for around 2 weeks. Never entered a USGA event again. The course changed ownership, the kitchen has never been the same, 2008 - 2011 invited people to join no initiation fees, just monthly dues, jacked up tp $800 month, food minimum $80 month. We reduced our membership down to Social Golf, one round per month, Dues $375, which I think is ridiculous. We paid the initation fee, and paid our dues, even in the recession, but now they will not adjust our dues to compensate for paying full price up front. The only saving grace in this private course nightmare is Jan 2025 we are supposed to be refunded out initiation, $24000. If they voice any objection I will bring my contract to a lawyer for complete reimbursement, plus punitive damages, plus lawyer fees. I'm sure they have some lawyers retained by the current owners, but if I can get it before a Judge quickly, I will receive my money quickly (less 30 years lost to inflation). Course is still very well maintained, the greens are fantastic, bunkers are fantastic, fairways and tees not as pristine as in the past, but better than most country clubs in the area. Plus your still a full member. That brings up another perk. You could play another private club once a month, eight foursomes a month, split up however the hosting club desired, all the private clubs joined the program, this gives you a chance for a little variety, and if well planned, play the course before the club vs club monthly competition

On 7/10/2023 at 9:55 AM, Hobert said:

We decided to join a private club in March and have no regrets (we had previously joined and left a semi-private years ago). For me, I knew it would get me out playing more often which has been a goal of mine for years. The initiation fee was fairly modest compared to the high-end member-owned clubs near me. The monthly fee is about half of my former car payment (that end last September). We have a quarterly food/beverage minimum that is fairly low (and alcohol counts towards that minimum). As far as benefits go, there are many:

• Unlimited range time
  • Amazing short game practice area (multiple greens, each with a bunker (one deep, one less so))
  • Spread out tee times which allows/encourages walking (more than half do walk)
  • Generally can get a tee time for the same day even on weekends
  • Teaching Pro is regarded as one of the best in the area (construction is almost finished on an instruction facility for him (simulator, garage door opens up out on to range, etc.); he has already helped me tremendously (member rate for teaching is quite affordable)
  • New to Golf for Women Clinic has encouraged my wife to start practicing and playing/helped her meet a group of friends at the club to play/practice with
  • Fun social events (e.g., Around the World events on Friday evenings comprising 9 holes of Captain's choice; chef has food/beverage stations between some holes to have themed appetizers and drinks)
  • Networking and meeting new people (and seeing them again). For example a father and son joined me and a friend for a round a few weeks after I joined. The son was a freshman in high school and put on a show (Eagled the Par 5 7th after his dad applied pressure saying "this is his eagle hole" as we walked onto the tee box (he bombed a drive to 160ish out, put his second within 6 feet, and drained his putt). Father and son were extremely nice and I got to watch a show first hand.
  • Free tees 😂
  • Lack of congestion resulting in rounds under four hours
  • Organized tournaments
  • I'm sure more will come to mind

I have not yet grown tired of playing the same course and I do still play other courses in the area from time to time with friends/colleagues.

My club also has member shotgun on the weekends.  Everyone signs up and the groups are made.  You get to meet new members and everyone gets done around the same time for lunch.  This makes the social side more fluid and diverse.  We have mens club that runs weekly and monthly golf events.  The ladies have the same.  Their group goes off at the back of the shotgun starts.  

Being in a club is where the best gambling happens.  Handicaps are monitored and accurate because of all the league play.  During the week we have no tee times you just show up as a group and go out.  First come first serve.  If two groups want to go off at the same time one can go to the back nine.  Young, old, male or female the pace of play is faster than 4 hours often 2 to 3 hours.  Gym, pools, tennis, pickleball, parties and events about once a month.  Great food!

You do have monthly spends depending on what you negotiated, the thing is with the weekend shotguns and group play it is easy to eat breakfast before and lunch after and come to at least one event per month and you will cover that with ease.  

We are a very comfortable club for all ages.  When I get invited to play elsewhere or just want to go to another course all I do is ask the pro to call and ask if they will reciprocate, 95% of the time it is yes.  Even TPC Sawgrass let four of us play for caddie fees.  Golfing here in the greater D.C. area is about $100 bucks per round plus food and bev.  I play 75-125 rounds a year, use the gym, pool and pickleball as well as dinning and parties.  For under 10k for my family.

If You like to gamble, drink and play A private club may be just what you need.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

My wife and i have joined a private club and really enjoy it.  Other forum members have covered all the advantages and disadvantages of membership very well.  However, I might point out that depending on how often you play, where you play and the associated costs with that play, you might not find club membership not that much more expensive (depending on the initiation fee) -- or the increase might be worth enjoying all the advantages/benefits other forum members have mentioned.   Additionally, you can enjoy reciprocal playing privileges and/or reduced rates at other clubs both in your hometown and other locations when you travel.  Finally, the food and other amenities are very good:  swimming, gym, tennis, pickleball, etc.  Just something to think about.  

Titleist drive (TS1)., Callaway Epic Star 5wood; MAVRIK hybrids, Callaway irons, Ping Sand wedge and Vokey 60* wedge.  Still using my Wilson 8813 and am looking for a new putter.  My wife's bag is all Callaway.  I retired from the USAF after 30 years and 17 moves --loved my career.

We are members at a private club, but ours is a little different - no restaurant / no pool.

Why:

1)  Tee time availability - Much easier to get than the public courses around here.
2)  Speed - Pace of play is very good for our course.  Most of the public courses in the area are at least 4.5 hours and many are over 5.
3)  Cost - Given we don't have dining and a pool, our club is pretty reasonably priced, compared to public / daily fee courses in the area.
4)  Friends - Our course is 5 minutes from our house and we have several good friends who are members.

We have belonged to other clubs which were much more expensive and given their distance from our house, I don't think they had the same value as some of the public courses.  We also do not have a range, which is a major limitation (although some of the public courses around here don't have them either).

A high index trying to get back to my lower one...

Driver:  TaylorMade Stealth 9.5 degree

5W: TaylorMade Stealth 2

Hybrids:  Ping G410 (22, 26)

Irons: Ping i500 (U - 6)

Wedges: Volkey (54, 58)

Main reason I have not joined a private club are as follows:

- Upfront cost. I wouldn't be opposed to monthly fees, but the initiation fees are too expensive in my area.

- Locations of private clubs.  I live in San Diego, where during the week, getting to a private club is not feasible after work due to to traffic. I would rather play a close muni, than sit in an hour of traffic, to play 7 holes before dark, then drive a half an hour home.

- Quality and number of Munis.  At the end of the day, Torrey, at twilight is $29, so its hard to find a reason to pay any more than that, even if I played every single day.

I hear the reasons to do it, especially in other parts of the country, and at different life stages, but for me its just not justifiable at this time in my life.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Driver

Taylormade Stealth 2 4 wood

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 

Taylormade p790 4-PW

Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 60

Taylormade Spider GT

Biggest reason to date for me is, a) I feel obligated to play said club. b) With 4 kids, I don’t have much time to play as it is. c) I enjoy playing different courses. 20 years ago, I was a member of a club & it was indeed great times! But as they say, life happens…….

Cally Epic Flash 3 💎 / HZRDUS 1100- 6.5/tipped 1.5”

TM M3 3wd HL/ Rogue 80x

Srixon 785/ DGTI x100s

Bridgestone Tour B/ 52°&58°- DGTI s400

Scotty TEI3 Long Neck

I joined a private club in April, I been talking about joining one for several years and I finally had the money set a side and my wife said to do it but make sure it has a pool and events for the kids. The club I joined has both and so far we love it, no regrets at all, also everyone I met or played with has been really nice. The one thing is it’s really expensive, I thought I had an idea but you really don’t until you get your monthly invoice. I enjoy playing in all the tourneys and events they have for the kids. Also I choose the club I joined bc you can defer the initiation fee over 5 years some other clubs want everything up front. But like I said no regrets one of the best things I did. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

6 hours ago, chisag said:

... What an interesting topic with a myriad of replies. Like most things in life, there are positives and negatives and at the very top of that list is location. Having lived my entire golfing life in the Chicago suburbs and now Phoenix, these two golf Mecca locations have plenty of Private Clubs but they are extremely expensive. I read many responses from small cities and even better, some more rural areas where a CC would seem to be a no brainer. I would absolutely love to join a CC if I could find one that fit my needs. 

Positives:
Golf and everything that entails so no further explanation needed

Negatives:
Very expensive to join and maintain a membership in Phoenix
I don't drink alcohol and try to only eat organic food so a food/beverage monthly minimum would be money thrown away
The CC's where I have played have am attitude of entitlement that does not mesh with my laid back hippie approach to life
I want to walk fall/winter/spring and ride in summer when the heat exceeds 100* daily and need a course where that works
Don't need or want a pool, tennis courts or other amenities that are really nice for families, but I won't use them 

... So if I could find a CC that catered to golf, had an eclectic and friendly membership, no drink/food minimums, was walkable and enjoyable to do so and had at least two 18 hole courses I would join and pay a high premium to do so. So far I just haven't found one. I play approx 250 rounds a year, although this record breaking heat wave will reduce that by 25 or more rounds this year, but my cost is around $8k a year. Considering winter golf in Phoenix can run $150 to $250 a round $8k is a bargain. Aguila my winter muni, hosts many quality tournaments including boys and girls high school state championships, Phoenix Open qualifiers and AGA Stage Championship so it is a quality course. Raven, my summer semi private course is even nicer with an $80 monthly fee and $39 a round after 3pm which is my preferred playing time. In winter Raven charges $180-$200 a round so it is a summer bargain. 

... All that said, I will always be looking for an opportunity to join a private club and will be willing to give up some of my negatives, but not all of them. 

and at your age you need a course that doesnt water their fairways so you can continue to "bomb" it....one of my favourite parts of playing in the desert lol

committed to performance excellence

I haven't joined a private club because of the expense, but I'm definitely getting closer.  My reasons for joining would be:

1. Avoiding the once a year golfers who decide they would like to tee off at 8 a.m.  Of course there is a different group every weekend.

2. Avoiding the 7 minute tee time gaps and the groups that aren't listed on the tee sheet.

3. Having the course care more about conditions than shoving as many groups out on the course as possible.

3 hours ago, Mackey said:

If You like to gamble, drink and play A private club may be just what you need.

... LOL, 2 more negatives for me since I don't like to gamble and I haven't drank any alcohol in 50 years. 🤪

39 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

and at your age you need a course that doesnt water their fairways so you can continue to "bomb" it....one of my favourite parts of playing in the desert lol

... Haha so true. I am probably 40 yds longer on average in Phoenix than I was in Chicago.  😇  Hot weather and a higher altitude doesn't hurt either. 

I’ve been going back and forth on this one for a while. 

My answer is really no different than anyone else’s. Main deterrent is cost. but my main draw is unlimited use of practice facilities. It’s nice to know I can stop for 15-30 minutes any day of the week to hit a few balls or chip and putt without having to buy a full bucket. Plus the range balls are newer and the greens aren’t as beat up.

Edited by Swood1994

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

I would love to join a private club but I have yet to find a viable option near me.  The local country club has an exorbitant initiation fee of $75k+ and the other option is a golf-only club that is $15k (plus $7k/yr. in dues) for a crappy course that pales in comparison to most of the public courses in the area.  Hoping for another global financial crisis so I can possibly get a membership somewhere at a sane price 🤣    

Bag: Vessel Player III

Driver: PING G430 Max

3W + 7W: PING G430 SFT

4H: PING G430

5i-PW, AW: TaylorMade P770

56 + 60 Wedge: TaylorMade Hi-Toe 

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 2-ball Strokelab  

Im not part of a club so i cant really speak from that stand point but I have a friend that is and we play often with him. 
Its a cheap small town club but has 18 holes and the course is kept in pretty good condition, not expensive club level but better than what youd expect.

Its roughly a 500$ join fee and like 250$ a month, but that gives you unlimited play, carts, and balls on the range.

Hes aloud +1 person per round in his price and then typically 25$ per additional person to join our round. We gotten close with the staff so if its a slow day then sometimes they dont even charge us for the additional players. We typically will not confirm or deny but split the fees between the +3 that play and makes our payment really cheap and cuts his cost down over a monthly rate. 

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

I have been a member a club , public and private both for the last 50 years , benefits are meeting people of like nature that you enjoy seeing and playing with on a regular basis . I have made great friends with many through the part of being a regular member . Been member of 2 private clubs which was wonderful but cost is significant and continues to increase ( no longer a member of private ) ! The relationships I have forged are priceless and well worth the time and money .

Ping driver 

ping fairway

tour edge irons 

Cleveland wedges

Scotty mallet

It's obvious from the comments that golf in the US is different to the norm in the UK. Here in the UK you have either public courses or private courses and very little in between. Public courses are by and large not very well maintained, so if if you are a serious golfer most will join a local private members' course. 

I am a member of a good quality private course, my third such enterprise, been a member at my current club for 22 years. Most good private courses have a joining-on fee which can be anything from a few hundred pounds to several thousand pounds. I am retired and play 3/4 times per week in summer, less in winter and my membership with all the bibs and bobs is £2,200 per annum. Based on a 100 rounds per year a round costs me about £20 - good value in my book.

Being a member of a private course brings many benefits. For starters, we don't book tee times except in competitions at the weekend. I play for the club against other clubs in the county with no green fee cost. Free use of practice facilities and clubhouse. Social functions to attend if you wish at a modest cost. Most of my friends are members and we do socialise with the WAGs outside of the club from time to time. Don't know what I would do without golf.    

I have joined for the unlimited golfing.  The club I belong too offers a pay at once deal so after that initial payment there is nothing additional per day except range balls.

Cobra aero speed LS 9 degree

cobra rad speed 3 wood 13.5 degree

Srixon zx 2 iron

cobra forged tec 4-gap

taylormade mg3 raw 54

taylormade high toe 58 raw

odyssey double wide 34 inch 

The best reason to join a club is to reduce costs, to know that you can get a tee time, games and/or competition and comaderie.

A former plus handicapper who must settle for mid 70s to mid 80 scores today.  After taking 10 years off due to back issues, my driver length has decreased by 40 yards on average.  I look forward to any training aids, shaft improvements, club enhancements to get back part of what was lost.

9 minutes ago, RwsGolf1 said:

The best reason to join a club is to reduce costs, to know that you can get a tee time, games and/or competition and comaderie.

... Wouldn't that be nice? Any CC I would join here has at least a $50,000 to 80,000 initiation fee. Some even higher. So reducing costs is most definately not in the equation. I pay around $8,000 a year now for an excellent muni and a semi private course that have no houses on either course. I just can't see spending at least 10 times as much for a CC.