Sign in to follow this  
leftyj13

Big Hitter---Drivers

I used the system at Golfmart when I bought the cobra amp cell,   I just got my new Driver last night  TM SLDR 9.5  Extra stiff... going to the range tonight to dial it in for Saturday!!  lol

to R P......  I play at 110% 10 finger grip and rip style,  I could be a 5xs better golfer if I could tone it down to 80%  LOL

well hit the range tonight results are.

SLDR  adjusted it a couple times till I quit hooking it,  funny thing is I put the sldr all the way inside on draw and it went straight LOL  sounded funny...didn't feel i could not put the boom swing into it  and was lighter than the cobra also..

pulled the cobra back out and BAM hit it straight everytime and seemed farther.   so i won't know the real difference till this sat rd....  right now i don't like it..

if i don't like it Saturday i will sell it for what i bought it for $225.00  LOL

I tried many swing speed machines..the most inaccurate was Dicks SG's. I was told 115/ 116....I was like..wtf!!!

Was put on another unit a week later and was a realistic 98 to 101 mphs.., which is my 250 to 255 off the tee. Down the middle is my thing

Anyone else receive these extreme high swing speeds from the golf retailers?

I heard sky pro is pretty accurate

Mm

I tried many swing speed machines..the most inaccurate was Dicks SG's. I was told 115/ 116....I was like..wtf!!!

Was put on another unit a week later and was a realistic 98 to 101 mphs.., which is my 250 to 255 off the tee. Down the middle is my thing

Mm

I've been on ones telling me I hit a 7 iron 170. For some it's no problem but that's a miracle for me.

here's my no BS my clubs distances  on the course not a sim ....been hitting the irons like that for 5 years now, the weekend after turkey day ill goto golfmart sim and shoot some pics of swing speeds

driver-----302 

4 wood---260

4-----------235

5-----------215

6-----------200

7-----------180

8-----------165

9-----------155

pw---------148

aw---------135

sw---------115

lw----------90

well hit the range tonight results are.

SLDR  adjusted it a couple times till I quit hooking it,  funny thing is I put the sldr all the way inside on draw and it went straight LOL  sounded funny...didn't feel i could not put the boom swing into it  and was lighter than the cobra also..

pulled the cobra back out and BAM hit it straight everytime and seemed farther.   so i won't know the real difference till this sat rd....  right now i don't like it..

if i don't like it Saturday i will sell it for what i bought it for $225.00  LOL

I have heard similar results from others with the SLDR. It seems to be one of those drivers that you love or hate.

I talked to a few guys that had the R1 and the SLDR and the R1 looked like it went farther because of the higher launch angle but in the right conditions the SLDR would roll out past the R1.

The bad part is that once most golfers get it into their head they don't like it, it is hard to kick that thought out!

Good Luck.

Mm

Absolutely have had the same thing happen at Dicks and The PGA Superstore here in town. My swing speeds are about the same as yours maybe 1 or 2 mph more. Dick's had me swinging at 115 and I knew no fricking way at 56 years old. The only ones who don't jack with me on the machine are the new Golfsmith store because they know me and know not to jack me around and I have checked it on my clubfitter friend's machine before so I know the truth

I tried to like the SLDR, but can't,  I'm sticking with my Cobra amp cell 9.5    oh well,  I think I might give ole ping g25 another chance!  LOL

Ah well lefty, such is life. Didn't like G25 myself, found it a bit dead - loved the look and the results were pretty good but didn't like the feel and it just felt like it ballooned a bit. Does the Cobra sound better than the old cobras? They used to sound awful.

I'm intrigued to see MGS staff test the SLDR and Jetspeed.....

the Cobra amp cell sounds great...reading reviews now on the new Bio cell driver....

as for the SLDR  I'm just going to sell it.   should move pretty quick for 225.00 plus ship with head cover and tool   only hit 30 range balls with it.

Ok guys did some changes and a 2 hr hitting drivers to figure out the boom stick  lol

my old driver cobra amp cell, I thought last month it lost some pop,  went to golfsmith  sim  hit it  it did lose 15-18 yrds...avg swing speed 117  286yrds

hit G25  117mph  302 yrds

hit the X hot Calloway  117 mph  323 yrds

so I traded in the CAC  for the X hot     the the original post  X hot vs krank..  can't wait to see the big bertha coming soon  ....

I think you are looking at this the wrong way, as far as you hit the ball, distance should not even be a factor, regardless if a guy who has a slower swing speed kept up with you. There are 100's of guys that would love the problem of 302 in the middle of the fairway, I am a long hitter as well, and you cannot sacrifice accuracy for distance, it's taken a long time for me to figure that out, 300 is good on any course, and an occasional reach back for 320 is okay, if your worried about the other guy keeping up with you, you're worried about the wrong stuff. The course I play I use the back tees 6500 yards or so, and I hit usually 2 drivers, being in the fairway is too important to just let it rip.

@ Lefty

I figured this out toward the end of this past summer. I used to carry my long drive drivers in my bag to the course. It never worked out. I now carry a short, super stiff (4X tipped 3") shafted driver that I can control and still hit far enough.

That being said, with leftyj13's handicap being at 5, I am sure he does fine finding the fairway no matter how far he hits it.

Dude 4X tipped 3". There is no way you're loading it. Over stiff doesn't equal control. You're giving up control and distance with that. The shaft isn't doing anything it's designed to. It's just a stick to hold on to if that's what you're really playing. Guarantee you would never be fit for that if you went for an actual fitting. Just sayin.

@ Blade

I have done fittings and used what they said "fit" me and it was a joke. I was all over the place. I have tried and broke a lot of shafts in my quest for what works and this is it. I do not care if I am "loading" it or if the shaft is doing anything that is designed to do. All I am looking for is a shaft that when I swing it, the ball is in play. This setup works for me. 

I have gained a lot of control with the crazy stiffness of this shaft.

I may be losing some distance but I can still get it out there far enough that most par 5's are reachable.

Maybe when I develop an actual, fundamentally correct, golf swing a fitter will be able to set me up but until then I will keep this set-up.