Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Picmonkey: Free Online Photo Editor

The Dansome

• SPY VIP

So you've got a review and you want to clean up some pics, or maybe you just need to resize a picture that's just too large for the forums. I know for most people this can be an overwhelming or confusing process and you just wouldn't know where to start. Well a few years ago Mrs. Manbearpig introduced me to an easy to use online photo editor that has enough power to keep me happy when I'm not near a computer with Photoshop. So today I bring you Picmonkey.

http://www.picmonkey.com/

PMstart.jpg

The picture above shows where we start, select ‘Edit a Photo' and you will be prompted to select a photo from your computer. From here you will be taken to the basic editor and as I've highlighted in the bottom right corner (photo below) will always let you know at what scale you are viewing your photo in relation to actual size as it will appear when finished

PMbasicedit.jpg

In the Basic Editor we get to perform simple tasks, Auto Adjust, Crop, Rotate, Resize and so on. I'm only going to focus on the basics as they are likely the most helpful for those wanting to post to forums.

PMautoadjust.jpg

Auto Adjust will attempt to make simple color, contrast/brightness and exposure fixes. If you don't like what Picmonkey suggests you can simply click the left arced arrow at the top of the screen to “UNDO”

PMexposeure.jpg

Exposure is where you can manually adjust lighting. Contrast, brightness and even shadow/highlight details. There's an Auto which attempts to balance all these for you.

PMcrop.jpg

Crop allows you to cut out areas of the photo you don't want there. Just resize the grid area to what you want in the end. I think we all know what part of this photo we really wanna see. Using Cancel on the screens scraps any adjustments you've made and exits you back to the photos previous state.

PMcolor.jpg

Colors is the place where you can boost your colors via saturation or selct auto adjust which will attempt to make colors as natural as real life. You can also adjust the overall temperature from cool to very warm looking. Remember you can always “cancel” out of here.

Sharpen is exactly what it says, which is to sharpen things up. I like this feature with club photos because you can really bring out the club edges and make them pop. Be careful with sharpness as low light photos will tend to expose grain when used too much.

PMresize.jpg

Resize is the probably the biggest deal for forum posters. A lot of the time people will upload these massive 2500px plus images that just make browsing the forums tedious on mobile devices. So let's try and keep our photos 800x800 and below. It's important at this point to make sure “Keep Proportions” is checked as any size adjustments you make won't skew your image. Just input a new number into one of the fields and your photo will give you a live preview of its new size. Don't like, “cancel" once again is your friend.

PMsave.jpg

Clicking SAVE at the top of the screen will take us to the Save page. Here you can rename your file, change its file type (stick to jpg) or if you've forgotten to resize that options right here too by clicking change next to “dimensions”. There's also three quality options which are Roger, Pierce and Sean. Roger is a very low quality image but will reduce your file size quite a bit (good for load times). Sean is the image at its highest quality and maximum file size. Pierce is pretty much what you want here though as it combines great image quality with a decent file size. Once you have all these options click Save Photo bottom left and select a place on your computer you want to keep it.

These are the basic edits in layman terms. I've kept this brief and simple because for the most that's all you want. Please feel free to post questions and I'll be happy to expand on things.

PMeffects.jpg

Before I go I want to encourage people to try out the many other features Picmonkey has to offer. There are tons of photo effects such as Lomo & HDR, picture touch up tools and many frames and borders. Play around with these and you'll be a pro before you know it.

Sample: Auto adjust, Saturation +5, Sharpness +5, Dark Edges Filter, Dusk Filter

sample.jpg

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Very cool site.

I've been using simple ol' Preview on the Mac. If you do alt-command-c it opens a photo edit dialog, letting you fix exposure and colors, such as yellow tones from light bulbs or overly blue from the sun. This seems more powerful, I'll have to give it a shot.

Btw, is the crop feature broken? I'm curious why it wasn't cropped more? ;)

• SPY VIP

Very cool site.

I've been using simple ol' Preview on the Mac. If you do alt-command-c it opens a photo edit dialog, letting you fix exposure and colors, such as yellow tones from light bulbs or overly blue from the sun. This seems more powerful, I'll have to give it a shot.

Btw, is the crop feature broken? I'm curious why it wasn't cropped more? ;)

I missed me.......

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

It makes images so much more vivid. I like it. Not as complex as photoshop, and it does more than photobucket. Win.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Thanks MBP, that looks like a great tool!!

Not trying to thread jack, but for anyone that just wants a simple way to resize pictures I bring you Image Resizer for Windows

it's really basic, but also very simple and quick. Once you install it just right click on the picture you want to resize and select 'resize pictures' from the drop down menu. Then you can choose what size you want to go with. The Mobile option works great for the message boards.

I like this tool because it also allows for batch resizing. Just highlight or select all the pictures you want and right click to resize all of them at once.

Sorry it doesn't work for the Mac guys, but for anyone on windows it's a great little tool. Just keep in mind that it doesn't edit the pictures at all, for that Picmonkey looks like the way to go.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I've posted it before, but this is what I always use so I can batch resize and autorotate...takes seconds

#! /bin/bash

get_size() {
 height=`sips -g pixelHeight "$1" |tail -n 1 |awk '{print $2}'`
 width=`sips -g pixelWidth "$1" |tail -n 1 |awk '{print $2}'`

echo "Current size: $height (height), $width (width)"
}

[ ! -f "$1" ] && echo "$1 is not a file (maybe add quotes around the file name?)" && exit 1

echo "Original Size"
get_size "$1"

scale="800x600"

cp "$1" "$1".bk
convert -auto-orient -resize ${scale}'>' "$1" tmp
mv tmp "$1"

echo "New Size"
get_size "$1"

You can run it on linux or Mac in terminal. You'll need cygwin for windows to run bash scripts.

minimal adjustments should be needed with picmonkey if you take a good picture, but if you're needing to make some quick edits and don't have photoshop expertise or photoshop elements then this is super easy to use.

it is easy to get carried away though so be careful. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I will be using it now

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• 2 months later...
  • SPY VIP

For everyone who may be writing member reviews or applying for that matter, posting your own WITB pics, or even general forum content in the future.

There are free ways via the internet to re-size your images(preferred 800px wide max) and rotate them even.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

For everyone who may be writing member reviews or applying for that matter, posting your own WITB pics, or even general forum content in the future.

There are free ways via the internet to re-size your images(preferred 800px wide max) and rotate them even.

+1.

It gets painful really fast to load that many oversized pictures.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived