Testers Announced! Stix Golf Sets ×

Has YouTube made you better or worse?

Shankster

I think the better question is... has YouTube made my bank account better or worse.  Watching all those young guns bomb drivers and smash irons on you tube has not been good for my golf budget (which is perennially over spent). lol

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

• 11 months later...

Another throwback... there have been similar threads but we all love a good throwback. 

Since this thread started the youtube game has changed and grown to a wild manner. 

I think overall better, however you can get going down the rabbit hole quickly and it can lead to a lot of questions without definitive answers. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

For entertainment purposes or tracking pros and their stats I like what YouTube has provided. However, for instructional purposes, YouTube can get you into the weeds and second guess everything. Same with TikTok. Only thing golf on TikTok I like was a guy that would hit at his range with some insanely smooth tempo. Could’ve put me to sleep it was so relaxing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB:

• :taylormade-small: Stealth 2+ 
  • :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini Driver
  • :taylormade-small: GAPR Mid 3 Iron
  • :mizuno-small: JPX 923 Forged 5-PW 
  • :taylormade-small: 54 Degree MG5
  • :taylormade-small: SW Rocketballz Max
  • :taylormade-small: 60 Degree Hi Toe Raw
  • :taylormade-small: TP Reserve M21

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Another throwback... there have been similar threads but we all love a good throwback. 

Since this thread started the youtube game has changed and grown to a wild manner. 

I think overall better, however you can get going down the rabbit hole quickly and it can lead to a lot of questions without definitive answers. 

Better, I think. However, when I was watching a lot of instructional videos on YouTube, it screwed-up my swing a fair amount. I now basically stick to the clubfitting (e.g. - TXG/Club Champion Canada) and club optimization videos and club reviews on YouTube, and find them to be very helpful in optimizing my bag setup and areas to focus on (as well as those to ignore) in my YouTube viewing experience.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Entertainment on the course has skyrocketed! I also think it has increased golf purchases exponentially.

The downside is that new golfers of ALL ages are now emulating these influencers that are doing the same wild stuff on the courses. They don't understand that they block and pay for the time allotments for these videos. 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

No.  But if I’m struggling with something I’ll sometimes look at YT for some thoughts or ideas and I’ve looked at a few that some have posted on the forums here, but nothing routine.  @RickyBobby_PRhas posted some really good videos on the forum and where it makes sense I’ve checked aspects of my swing against some of those videos.  

During Covid I finished our bonus room and bathroom above our garage and the best YT video I’ve ever seen was how to make a staircase.  Several years later there has yet to be a single squeak. 

Edited by GaryF

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

17 hours ago, GaryF said:

No.  But if I’m struggling with something I’ll sometimes look at YT for some thoughts or ideas and I’ve looked at a few that some have posted on the forums here, but nothing routine.  @RickyBobby_PRhas posted some really good videos on the forum and where it makes sense I’ve checked aspects of my swing against some of those videos.  

During Covid I finished our bonus room and bathroom above our garage and the best YT video I’ve ever seen was how to make a staircase.  Several years later there has yet to be a single squeak. 

There are some good instructors on YouTube that are teaching the basics of the swing in instructional videos about each aspect of the swing like Chris Ryan and AMG. Then there are some like Porzak that post working with their students but also break down some of what they are working on and why. These are where I think YouTube can be helpful. It’s kind of the fundamanetals of how to grip, how to move. Chris has a couple different video series that someone could follow from beginning to end and get a better swing if they chose to go the fox it alone route.

the videos I don’t like and what I think should be avoided are the how to fix a slice, how to fix a hook, get better with one move, how to not top it, how to not come over the top, etc. most golfers have no idea how to determine their cause for their ball flight and there are a number of different things a person does that causes a slice or blocks. If they choose the wrong one and a video that goes with it they will not make progress. These are quick fix videos for problems that are quick fixes.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

No question it's made me better. I will be 50 this year and am playing the best golf of my life.  Funny side not, i read a quote in a golf magazine years ago that went somthing like "if you're better at 50 than when you were 25, then you weren't very good when you were 25". Fair enough, but that's my current situation. 

If I identify something in my swing I want to work on, I will watch several different people showing different drills and explanations on how to fix it. Maybe it's me, but I find if I get multiple explanations of the same swing fault then I have a better chance of one of them clicking with me and getting through my thick skull.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: 2020 CLK 5 Hybrid
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 6 Hybrid

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-PW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

There are some good instructors on YouTube that are teaching the basics of the swing in instructional videos about each aspect of the swing like Chris Ryan and AMG. Then there are some like Porzak that post working with their students but also break down some of what they are working on and why. These are where I think YouTube can be helpful. It’s kind of the fundamanetals of how to grip, how to move. Chris has a couple different video series that someone could follow from beginning to end and get a better swing if they chose to go the fox it alone route.

the videos I don’t like and what I think should be avoided are the how to fix a slice, how to fix a hook, get better with one move, how to not top it, how to not come over the top, etc. most golfers have no idea how to determine their cause for their ball flight and there are a number of different things a person does that causes a slice or blocks. If they choose the wrong one and a video that goes with it they will not make progress. These are quick fix videos for problems that are quick fixes.

I agree with that.  Too many quick magic cures online but I’m sure they get a lot of views.  They probably fall to the same category of “follow these 3 simple steps to achieve a lifetime of financial success.”

My biggest fix was taking lessons from The Kingdom here.  Good video evidence plus some numbers, then commitment to put in lots and lots of practice and a heavy dose of patience.  

:callaway-small: Driver: Fusion, 9 deg, UST Recoil 450 ES F3/2

:ping-small: 430 MAX 4w (5w head delofted 1* with 3w shaft), 7w, 5h w/ Alta CB Soft Regular shaft

:mizuno-small: JPX923 HM 6i - GW w/ UST Recoil 460 ESX F3

:cleveland-small: RTX6 52* and 56* with Recoil 760 ESX F2 

:odyssey-small: Versa DB DoubleWide 

:srixon-small:: Z-Star Tour

2 hours ago, GaryF said:

I agree with that.  Too many quick magic cures online but I’m sure they get a lot of views.  They probably fall to the same category of “follow these 3 simple steps to achieve a lifetime of financial success.”

My biggest fix was taking lessons from The Kingdom here.  Good video evidence plus some numbers, then commitment to put in lots and lots of practice and a heavy dose of patience.  

They do gets lots of views because many amateurs want that quick fix and not have to put in the hours and hours of work to get better. 

Lessons from a good instructor are the easiest and fastest way to improve imo. The go it alone journey whether via online instruction or from YouTube videos is a long and many times a frustrating journey. Reading the various threads looking for help in the instruction section on another forum it’s easy to see how many golfers lack self awareness and the ability to translate a drill given to them even with a video showing how to do it have issues doing it.

I think a better online option is thru websites like GG’s, Eric Cogorno and others where with the instructor or those working under them do video feedback.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

On 2/17/2024 at 1:01 PM, blackhawk1539 said:

For entertainment purposes or tracking pros and their stats I like what YouTube has provided. However, for instructional purposes, YouTube can get you into the weeds and second guess everything. Same with TikTok. Only thing golf on TikTok I like was a guy that would hit at his range with some insanely smooth tempo. Could’ve put me to sleep it was so relaxing.

Was it that Asian dude always at the same range? Dudes swing was butter.

Was it that Asian dude always at the same range? Dudes swing was butter.

Yes lol, even his drive gotta be 260s and it’s effortless.

WITB:

• :taylormade-small: Stealth 2+ 
  • :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini Driver
  • :taylormade-small: GAPR Mid 3 Iron
  • :mizuno-small: JPX 923 Forged 5-PW 
  • :taylormade-small: 54 Degree MG5
  • :taylormade-small: SW Rocketballz Max
  • :taylormade-small: 60 Degree Hi Toe Raw
  • :taylormade-small: TP Reserve M21

On 2/17/2024 at 11:54 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Dang it! I read jmikecpa’s post about Peter Finch posting his clubs for the Golfbidder challenge with Rick Shiels and got all excited. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 7S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Actually, I have watched and learned many different swing theories on YouTube. I actually avoided GolfDigest and Golf Magazine lessons for years. It wasn’t until I began to have physical issues with my knees and ankle that I started looking for other options. I tried lessons also but it’s mainly looking for alternatives to make allowance for gimpy running gear. There are no quick fixes but there are several competing theories out there. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 7S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

• 1 month later...

I stopped searching Youtube for answers. It is a rabbit hole that is scary to go down. That said when the odd tip or trick pops up on my feed I do watch and can say they are things I will practice, but more than anything these are trial things that I like vs true fixes to have made my swing better. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I stopped searching Youtube for answers. It is a rabbit hole that is scary to go down. That said when the odd tip or trick pops up on my feed I do watch and can say they are things I will practice, but more than anything these are trial things that I like vs true fixes to have made my swing better. 

I agree with this comment big time, my personality, experience, or age, don't know, but I find myself having to stick with a few routines that I have worked on over the decades. More times than not I am working on something with my game and I say to myself "hey, I have done this before" so nothing really new pops up very often.

committed to performance excellence

I typically do not watch anything on swing fixes or anything like that. I don’t want to mess up what I have going on. But having said that, I struggled with any 3 wood for years. To the point I just pulled it from my bag. During my Cobra fitting the fitter even said I hit my 5 wood better than my 3 wood. 
While looking for something on You Tube I came across something on hitting your 3 wood. So I gave it a whirl. I watched and listened and the next day put the 3 wood back in the bag. It was an eye opening experience. The first opportunity was on a par 5 I thought it was a fluke but each time it was pure performance. 
I always hit the 5 and 7 wood fine just not the 3 wood for some reason.
For a month now the 3 wood is killing it on the par 5’s. Now there is an unexpected confidence level. 35 years of struggling gone in a 10 minute video and one swing. It just happened to be something I connected with.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I am guilty of trying to learn how to swing a club from YT. Free and immediate is tough to beat. But lessons in person have been much more fruitful obviously. That said, swing theory is so different from one channel to the next. Probably why I had a stack and tilt looking swing last year...

I downloaded an app that used algorithms to diagnose your swing then it linked to a few videos of drills that might help. It was pretty good.

In fact I still search for drills on yt. I've found a few that just made sense to my brain.

B

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

I think if you can determine good from bad youtube, there are some good trainings on there. Only caveat would be, being able to recreate that same feel on the practice range. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

4 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I think if you can determine good from bad youtube, there are some good trainings on there. Only caveat would be, being able to recreate that same feel on the practice range. 

Here in lies the issue. Feels come and go. When making a change you have to create a movement. One can have a feel for that specific movement and try to work on that but that feel may also change over time as the movement becomes more natural 

17 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Here in lies the issue. Feels come and go. When making a change you have to create a movement. One can have a feel for that specific movement and try to work on that but that feel may also change over time as the movement becomes more natural 

Don't disagree at all.   Just like any change and being able to go back to the basics of that "feel" from time to time.  Youtube can be overwhelming if that’s the sole focus of trying to learn from there. I found temp fixes from there but at the end it's my coach that I hope to find the final solutions from. 

When I first started I definitely watched instructional YouTube videos. Why? It was simple, I didn’t understand the golf swing or weight transfer or wrist flexion or even where the ball should be in my stance. It wasn’t until I did the pga Hope program that I actually got a lesson, I guess that’s what you could call it. I went and played today. It was only 9 holes, but I was hitting all my clubs more consistently. My 6 iron I didn’t dread to hit, I hit a nice baby cut with it the two times I hit it. It was nice. So I would say, YouTube to get basics and understanding, caveat being someone that has more than 10000 YouTube followers and has a video uploaded within the last month. After, go get lessons and beat balls at the range. At least that’s what Tiger said to do. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

11 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

Don't disagree at all.   Just like any change and being able to go back to the basics of that "feel" from time to time.  Youtube can be overwhelming if that’s the sole focus of trying to learn from there. I found temp fixes from there but at the end it's my coach that I hope to find the final solutions from. 

Yeah I don’t like the feel thing because it’s something that comes and go. When it comes to YouTube and finding feels it’s bad because not all feels will work for everyone and you don’t have someone there who gave you the feel watching wha you are doing and asking your quietus and ensuring you are heads down the right path. Most people lack the understanding of the concepts of the golf swing and how to apply feels to them. It’s why I have changed my opinion a bit about online lessons. Have seen too many not be able to make the adjustments and either make no progress or go backward because they got turned around on what they were supposed to be doing.

for YouTube golf instructors that focus on teaching a movement for each pet of the swing or teaching the swing are far better options if one is going to use these videos as a source for going at it alone and why I only post videos of the instructors who have drills and not the here’s how to fix a slice or whatever swing fault. Band aids only last so long 

11 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yeah I don’t like the feel thing because it’s something that comes and go. When it comes to YouTube and finding feels it’s bad because not all feels will work for everyone and you don’t have someone there who gave you the feel watching wha you are doing and asking your quietus and ensuring you are heads down the right path. Most people lack the understanding of the concepts of the golf swing and how to apply feels to them. It’s why I have changed my opinion a bit about online lessons. Have seen too many not be able to make the adjustments and either make no progress or go backward because they got turned around on what they were supposed to be doing.

for YouTube golf instructors that focus on teaching a movement for each pet of the swing or teaching the swing are far better options if one is going to use these videos as a source for going at it alone and why I only post videos of the instructors who have drills and not the here’s how to fix a slice or whatever swing fault. Band aids only last so long 

I agree and for me personally I found one that helped me get that "feel" of how to shallow my swing but in the end need that one on one in person lesson to really make a long term change. 

It can also lead to plenty of bad habits and attempts at "quick" fixes that all of us want.  Ha. 

There are some great videos out there for sure but also plenty of bad ones. Can you recreate or mimick it long term.... possibly, in the right scenario but I'm liking my new coach and will continue utilizing him over the interwebs these days.  

45 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

I agree and for me personally I found one that helped me get that "feel" of how to shallow my swing but in the end need that one on one in person lesson to really make a long term change. 

It can also lead to plenty of bad habits and attempts at "quick" fixes that all of us want.  Ha. 

There are some great videos out there for sure but also plenty of bad ones. Can you recreate or mimick it long term.... possibly, in the right scenario but I'm liking my new coach and will continue utilizing him over the interwebs these days.  

Having a coach especially a competent one is going to make things easier and usually faster. The coach is going to identify the issues and usually the bigger ones and address what can get the golfer playing better sooner while also workin on improving the swing as a whole.

most golfers have issues identifying the cause and what needs to change. I was in the a competent online coach can help as much as an in person coach. Over the last 6 months or so of watching swing journeys via online coaching I’m leaning more toward only a small amount of golfers can benefit from online lessons even with a competent coach 

Every now and then I’ll watch some short game tips but overall I don’t think it’s made me significantly better. Unless you have videos of your swing to watch you could be totally messing up what you’re trying to do. Feel vs real is (at least for me) a major factor when working on swing changes and without seeing the “real” I’m working entirely based off feel

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

44 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Having a coach especially a competent one is going to make things easier and usually faster. The coach is going to identify the issues and usually the bigger ones and address what can get the golfer playing better sooner while also workin on improving the swing as a whole.

most golfers have issues identifying the cause and what needs to change. I was in the a competent online coach can help as much as an in person coach. Over the last 6 months or so of watching swing journeys via online coaching I’m leaning more toward only a small amount of golfers can benefit from online lessons even with a competent coach 

I'm such a hands on learner and just telling me something doesn't stick. I hear it and understand but need that motion or feel of what it needs to be in order to learn it and then be able to repeat in practice over and over. 

Am I better or worse? I'll say, yes. 🙂

When I look through certain YT channels that I've bookmarked, I'm usually looking for specific topics that relate to an issue I may be dealing with (bad wrist angle, flipping at impact, and poor hip rotation primarily). I try to keep my channels to a select few that I've watched before and that I feel are of a higher quality of knowledge than others.

I've also found some great resources for things like chipping & pitching, which have in fact helped me tremendously. 2 notable channels are Mr. Short Game (some of his older stuff is really great) and Grant Horvat (although not much in the last year or so, and more in the early years of GG), where I've picked up some great tips and explanations around better chipping & pitching.

I watch Porzak Golf and Eric Cogorno for more swing tips and more targeted drills and explanations of stuff. I'll also pick up some stuff from Ali Taylor Golf and GolfPass channels ocassionally.

For club building, I pretty much stick with AJ at Elite Fit Golf and Jim at McGolf.

For more entertainment and reviews, it's Let's Play Thru, Golficity, Cool Clubs, and the channel formerly known as TXG. There are others, but these are the core I stick to as a whole on YT.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

1 hour ago, Shrek74 said:

I'm usually looking for specific topics that relate to an issue I may be dealing with (bad wrist angle, flipping at impact, and poor hip rotation primarily)

This is where going it alone and using YouTube is bad.

flipping is a symptom and is actually necessary to hit the ball for those that do it. Same for early extension. Because of something else being done wrong in the swing the club is out of position. If you didn’t flip you would hit the ball or or miss it completely.

Similar to hip rotation. There are different things that can cause that. Such as hips moving too early in the swing, bad pressure shifts. So the poor hip rotation could be a fault or a symptom. Have to identify why it’s happening.

Similar with bad wrist angles. In the takeaway it could be a misunderstanding or not understanding at all how the wrists are supposed to work. In transition it’s either a fault because of same as the takeaway or a symptom of whats done in the takeaway.

1 hour ago, Shrek74 said:

I watch Porzak Golf and Eric Cogorno for more swing tips and more targeted drills and explanations of stuff. I'll also pick up some stuff from Ali Taylor Golf and GolfPass channels ocassionally.

This where it’s both good and bad. Both these channels are very good for instruction which is good and also rather than looking at the issues in the early quote following their drills as doing them over and over is where the focus should be as they will fix all the symptoms mentioned above.

the bad is that these two have different approaches to the swing and depending on what one is doing their drill could cause a problem the other was actually fixing. They have different philosophies on pressure shift and turn. They are similar in wrist set. They are somewhat different in the transition and downswing.

conflicting thoughts can delay progress when working on the swing