Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Tour Usage Influence

revkev

Clearly tour usage matters or OEMs would not invest so much money on it.

My question is if and how it influences you.  I know that it would be fashionable to state that it doesn't but be honest as you consider your answer even if its to say - I use this because no one else does. 

For me the influence tends to be as a confirmation - I don't necessarily buy because its used on tour but it does feel good to see someone using the same brand that I game on TV.  If I'm talking about my equipment I'm likely to say that its the same .... used by .....

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I tend to buck the system on this. I don't like big commercial brands (although I play Taylormade). I'd much rather buy some hand made stuff, I was really interested in JP wedges before he got recruited by a big brand. And the Edel putters are at the top of my list, being a small company, made right here. Not over seas, not including the hand made overseas stuff. Talking the mass produced stuff.

And till I came here I didn't know there were these start up brands of golf balls. Most of the population I would think goes and gets what their favorite player uses, because in reality it's the only option. Big Brands drown out the little guys.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I tend to buck the system on this. I don't like big commercial brands (although I play Taylormade). I'd much rather buy some hand made stuff, I was really interested in JP wedges before he got recruited by a big brand. And the Edel putters are at the top of my list, being a small company, made right here. Not over seas, not including the hand made overseas stuff. Talking the mass produced stuff.

Are you talking about the old Wilson JP wedges ? If you are I have a barrel full picked up 18 in one haul last summer off the yard

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

To me it only matters to a certain extent like seeing equipment that is popular on tour, an example would the Epic driver where even though some pro's were not paid to play it, they put it in their bag that kind of validates the new tech in these equipment.  But at the end of the day it does not influence in my purchasing habits, the equipment that I choose needs to fit my game and my needs.  Sure I will try what the pros play, but if I can't hit it well it is staying away from my bag.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

I picked clubs because I believe they will perform the best for me. This is obtained by demoing clubs and seeing how the perform on a launch monitor, putting green, or driving range. Just because it works for a particular pro, top amateur, best friend, or salesman doesn't mean it will work for me

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

To answer Rev's original question. I have always been this way. I have never played any brand of equipment just because a pro played it. I play what I like and what I can hit.  Now it can be said I collect Macgregor equipment because of Jack Nicklaus. That is not the case at all I had a love for Mac equipment for years I grew up with it. Just like most of the Texas guys ( PJ can confirm this) are Hogan equipment fans because of the fact Hogan clubs were made there anf you have MR Hogan, Crenshaw and Kite amongst otherer that were native Texans

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I usually will try thing if I see a trend of people changing. Take the spider putter for example, lots of people winning with that thing and playing well. I tried it and left with it that day.

Most other clubs I will research on my own mostly on here and see what fits my eye.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

I think for the true junkies then Tour Shafts really do move the needle and influence purchasing. I know I consider shafts based on what I see. Drivers not so much really. Putters if something really starts winning in a bunch of different player's bags I take notice for sure. Well I used to anyway. #EvnRoll!

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Frankly, I am more influenced by the clothes the pros wear than the equipment they use.   If I see a pro wearing a shirt I like, I know that I can go to the local shop and pick one up for myself and it would be essentially the same as the pro is wearing.   Regarding equipment, I don't have the same perspective.  The equipment the pros are using are custom made for them and, most likely, not the same as I am going to find in the local golf shop.   About the only thing consistent is the name imprinted on the equipment and it is that name recognition that the OEMs purchase with the equipment deals.  If the pros are using the equipment, they are viewed as a brand name and it is the comfort of a brand name if there is any real meaningful influence.  So I suspect most of us, myself included, use the equipment we perceive best for our games from a recognized brand, not the pros.

For example, take the new PXG line that some pros are using.  It doesn't matter what pros may be using them, the wife isn't going to agree to the home equity loan required to purchase them.   

No influence on what I play at all. I do like looking at what they are playing since I am a gear nut, but I am not going to change clubs because a certain Tour pro is playing them.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

I tend to pay attention for shafts and such as I do have a swing speed that is on the low end of average for a PGA Tour player. As well I look at training aids that are used on tour. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

I'm defiantly not influenced by what the Pros play. Prior to 2014 I've played various clubs by Wilson, Titleist, TaylorMade, Ping, Cleveland, Armour, and Callaway to name a few. But that's what was readily available. I currently play Wishon irons and a Tmag SLDR driver (thanks MGS), Wishon FW 4w, and an Edel putter. That's not a tour style bag. I decided to purchase my Wishons for many reasons but specific to this topic I wanted to play a top quality set of irons that nobody else played. Surprisingly and among my local crowd few had even heard of them... or him. Now, would I again play club brands that the tour guys play. Sure. And why not... it's all good stuff.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I have no illusions about my level of play and tour usage really had absolutely no influence on what is in my bad or what will go in my bag in the future. That is not to say I won't research what someone is using our comment that it looks cool, but in my own purchases data and the influence of my fitter is my decision factors

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

I think for the true junkies then Tour Shafts really do move the needle and influence purchasing. I know I consider shafts based on what I see. Drivers not so much really. Putters if something really starts winning in a bunch of different player's bags I take notice for sure. Well I used to anyway. #EvnRoll!

Actually you are so right on the "Tour Shaft" thing. There was a thread on WRX the other night on that. It has gotten to be such a "in" thing that there are some guys counterfitting shaft labels. There are a slew of them down here. One has to be careful when purchasing clubs from unknown sources around here. One guy I know bought some of those stickers to put on some shafts in his clubs and the kicker is that his shafts are not even TT shafts. I had a clown trying to sell me some stickers about a year ago. It is non printable on here what I told him to do with them. (yeah Rev sometimes I slip and the old Bad Stu comes out)

G

My game does not remotely resemble the game the pros play so I wouldn't expect the equipment to be the same for what I would play. Those guys always seem to hit the center of the face of the driver/hybrid/irons/putter so it looks like a dime for the wear pattern. Mine looks like a rorschach with a bit of Salvador Dali mixed in. So no, the tour equipment doesn't influence me. If it did, I'd be all Nike (Tiger Woods era) ;)

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I don't think the tour use influences which particular brand I would play but presence of tour does indicate some stability for that given manufacturer. If these brands are doing well enough to spend their marketing dollars on the tour, then they are doing well enough to spend money on R&D and stay toward the front of the pack on technology. All of the big OEMs are putting out some good gear (how big of improvement year to year is really happening is a whole other topic).

That being, I am probably more influenced by what peers are playing.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I would say that I tried the Callaway clubs because of Phil. But I like the clubs too, so that's what I went with. I don't think they play the actual clubs I play, but they play the brand. I am not brand loyal because if something else comes out that I like and it's not Callaway, I will still put it in the bag, I do generally look Callaway first, but I do look at other manufacturers.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I pay attention, but I wouldn't say it influences my buying, unless we're talking LPGA tour usage... I feel like (at least distance wise) I'd be more in line with these tour pro's.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

You've seen what's in my bag...doubt any pro is playing what I play.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Rev...I thought about this (as you requested) before I replied.  I think you hit it on the head about confirmation.  That's kinda the way I am with Titleist now, I didn't buy one of those clubs because what I saw anyone on Tour do with it.   I tried them and liked them.   But when I see a Titleist staffer win or using the 917 driver...I take some pride in knowing I'm playing the same club.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

You've seen what's in my bag...doubt any pro is playing what I play.

Cause they wanna win lol jk jk

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I usually will try thing if I see a trend of people changing. Take the spider putter for example, lots of people winning with that thing and playing well. I tried it and left with it that day.

Most other clubs I will research on my own mostly on here and see what fits my eye.

I'm the same way. I like to pay attention to trends. I also like seeing their set ups when they have the odd club in the bag. Gets me thinking of ways I could do it in my bag.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

There's only one tour (Champions tour) player who uses the same irons as I do. I bag the Callaway Razr XF irons which are game improvement irons and was shocked to find out Colin Montgomery bagged them for a couple of years. I haven't seen anyone playing the 2016 Cally BB Fusion driver and my old hybrids are Razr X which I'm pretty sure are not in any of the tour players bags. My Cleveland Smart Sole wedge ------ nawwwwwww not any pros using it that I know of. My Odyssey #7 putter may be the one thing that the pros copy me and use...

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I tend to hunt down equipment that was literally played on tour (build quality) but save for one recent exception I'm not influenced one bit by what the guys on tour are playing. Namely because by and large they are well paid to put equipment in the bag. My recent exception to the rule is a Tmag M1 430 that a ton of professionals put into play absent any sponsor recompense. It's currently the most hated club in my bag and I regret following the herd.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I was in the local golf shop this weekend.  I saw a used M2 that had "Tour Shaft" printed on the shaft.   Seeing that, I pretty much just left it alone because there is no way I could use a shaft used by pros.   It was the first time I had ever seen a shaft labelled as such.  But now permit me to ask, what exactly is a "Tour Shaft", what are its perceived characteristics, is it what it implies--something to be used by the better players.

I was in the local golf shop this weekend. I saw a used M2 that had "Tour Shaft" printed on the shaft. Seeing that, I pretty much just left it alone because there is no way I could use a shaft used by pros. It was the first time I had ever seen a shaft labelled as such. But now permit me to ask, what exactly is a "Tour Shaft", what are its perceived characteristics, is it what it implies--something to be used by the better players.

No one knows! The OEM "tour" generally means a little heavier or maybe tip stiff more than usual but there's no standard. But everyone recognizes the orange Creamsickle AD DI shaft line and trust me the junkies have owned several versions of that one. There is a benefit as well though. I would have never known about KBS without tour (TV) presence and though they are not in my current irons they are a tremendous product that deserves to be in the mainstream and tour awareness has helped put them there.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Really doesn't influence me but I will say the Spieth one shoes do look pretty slick to me.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Archived